Anyone on Mariner recently?

symphony

Guest Cooper2020
On 2/4/2024 at 10:23 PM, Schopp said:

Hi.  How was September trip on the Mariner?  We are thinking about October but I have seen many concerns about toilet issues causes terrible smells.   Love to hear your experience

I cruised on the Mariner September, 14 night trip. There were quite a few instances where the toilets were not working but I did not encounter a smell.  Was on the December Christmas New Year trip  on the Mariner 26 nights  (no toilet issues) but  unfortunately both trips  40 nights in total confirmed that I will no longer be cruising with Regent - Not a six  star experience at all.  I could go into detail but I have saved those details for Regent.   After cruising on Regent for more than 100 nights in total over the years my recent experience turned out to be  a very expensive disappointment.  I have not experienced the new Regent ships, they may be wonderful but the Mariner I think personally has had it's day.

1 hour ago, Cooper2020 said:

Mariner I think personally has had it's day.

Agree. Well past its use-by date. We were on the Christmas cruise too and there were toilet issues. The vacuum tubes leaked on a couple of decks and the toilets wouldn't flush. Problem fixed in a couple of hours. But still a sign of an aging ship.

Am on Mariner now in the South Pacific. Our toilet on 9 was out of service once so far. I expected more disruption. The ship itself has some bumps and bruises, and the decor/colors in certain areas is reminiscent of the timeframe she was built. But it’s spic and span, has great Starlink wifi, and honestly, it’s kind of difficult to find much to complain about. I’d prefer to change out some of the senior staff, but that’s another story and not the fault of the ship itself. For the right itinerary, I wouldn’t hesitate to choose the Mariner again. 

Edited by Marylebone37
  • Like 2

On 2/6/2024 at 2:11 PM, jeb_bud said:

What suite were you in?

Penthouse B, deck 9.   All the suites in that area were Penthouse suites that were affected.  It was on port side in the 920's.

On 2/6/2024 at 5:41 PM, CJANDH said:

Agree. Well past its use-by date. We were on the Christmas cruise too and there were toilet issues. The vacuum tubes leaked on a couple of decks and the toilets wouldn't flush. Problem fixed in a couple of hours. But still a sign of an aging ship.

Sign of a guest who flushed something that should have gone in the trash.

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Sign of a guest who flushed something that should have gone in the trash.

Negative.  Why isn't it happening on the other ships?  Do all the ignorant/low IQ "flushers" just all happen to book on Mariner?  Probably not. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pingpong1 said:

Negative.  Why isn't it happening on the other ships?  Do all the ignorant/low IQ "flushers" just all happen to book on Mariner?  Probably not. 

Sorry if you don't agree but not only was I told what the cause was, it was also told to the guests on board as well as having a special message in Passages addressing it.

11 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

It’s always someone else’s fault. There is obviously a problem unless there is a conspiracy amongst passengers across multiple cruises to make Regent look bad.

It was absolutely the guest's fault but having 23 year old plumbing didn't help. There are a number of surprises in store for Mariner including staffing changes, itinerary changes (coming very soon) and huge plans for her drydock next year.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

It was absolutely the guest's fault but having 23 year old plumbing didn't help. There are a number of surprises in store for Mariner including staffing changes, itinerary changes (coming very soon) and huge plans for her drydock next year.

Based on your knowledge…what is the dry dock schedule for each of the ships? I have 4 future cruises booked and curious. 

15 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

Based on your knowledge…what is the dry dock schedule for each of the ships? I have 4 future cruises booked and curious. 

Mariner should be Nov 4 to Nov 25 and Voyager is just behind her on or about November 27 to Dec 21....this is 2025.

2 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Mariner should be Nov 4 to Nov 25 and Voyager is just behind her on or about November 27 to Dec 21....this is 2025.

Thanks…I’ll be on Navigator, splendor, and Explorer so I guess no “new” interiors for us. 

7 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

Thanks…I’ll be on Navigator, splendor, and Explorer so I guess no “new” interiors for us. 

Navigator was in a soft drydock recently. Also, Regent will share the dates with you if you ask.

We, too, were on the Mariner Christmas/New Years cruise. We had no issues with food and beverage or housekeeping staff; i.e., the hotel department.  We still love the ship and will be on her for 83 nights this summer.  We did, however, cancel next year's Christmas/New Year's cruise on the Mariner as we believe the entertainment staff failed miserably in providing a festive experience.  

I have found that building a rapport with young dining room staff pays off quickly.  Even if they are not the most experienced I have found them to provide excellent service when you. are courteous and respect them.  In over 600 nights on Regent we have never left an extra gratuity (beyond crew welfare fund) yet we continue to have fantastic service on every trip.  

We get on Explorer next month and Mariner in June and I expect exemplary service on both trips.

Marc

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

We did, however, cancel next year's Christmas/New Year's cruise on the Mariner as we believe the entertainment staff failed miserably in providing a festive experience.  

Totally agree with your comments about the entertainment this last Christmas; but of course it will likely be a totally different team next Christmas, who will hopefully put in more effort and use more initiative than was evident on our holiday cruise

51 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

We still love the ship

Likewise, we still love Mariner; the layout of the public areas is the best in the Regent fleet.

We certainly didn't find her to be "tired" and didn't note any areas requiring major refurbishment.

22 hours ago, marycruz said:

Penthouse B, deck 9.   All the suites in that area were Penthouse suites that were affected.  It was on port side in the 920's.

We were in a Concierge on Deck 8, starboard, toward the aft elevators. I had read about the recent flushing problems so we were very conscientious about what went into the toilet. Fortunately for us it paid off.  

We have one more cruise booked on Mariner in September of 2025 so just before the dry dock. We like the ship and I expect whatever issues caused some service issues in October to be resolved well before we arrive. 

44 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

We were in a Concierge on Deck 8, starboard, toward the aft elevators. I had read about the recent flushing problems so we were very conscientious about what went into the toilet. Fortunately for us it paid off.  

We have one more cruise booked on Mariner in September of 2025 so just before the dry dock. We like the ship and I expect whatever issues caused some service issues in October to be resolved well before we arrive. 

Hopefully there are no toilet problems then.   Ours was not.   A pipe burst in the hallway and what we were told was that they increased the pressure to get hot water up to the bridge and that's what made the pipe burst.  A security guard was checking the hallways on his night shift and saw a flood in the hallyway outside our suite and they immediately turned off the water but it was too late for the cabins in that are.  Because it was right outside our suite ours was totally flooded.  I've never seen anything like that on a cruise.   We put the slippers on just to get out of the cabin and they were totally soaked.  This has nothing at all to do with someone flushing anything.  Our toilet worked great the entire time we  were on the B2B cruises.  The first leg was fine.  This happened on the second leg about 5 days into the cruise.   

D

Don't worry.   I'm sure they will never turn up water pressure on this ship like that again.  The pipes are just too old.

16 minutes ago, marycruz said:

Hopefully there are no toilet problems then.   Ours was not.   A pipe burst in the hallway and what we were told was that they increased the pressure to get hot water up to the bridge and that's what made the pipe burst.  A security guard was checking the hallways on his night shift and saw a flood in the hallyway outside our suite and they immediately turned off the water but it was too late for the cabins in that are.  Because it was right outside our suite ours was totally flooded.  I've never seen anything like that on a cruise.   We put the slippers on just to get out of the cabin and they were totally soaked.  This has nothing at all to do with someone flushing anything.  Our toilet worked great the entire time we  were on the B2B cruises.  The first leg was fine.  This happened on the second leg about 5 days into the cruise.   

D

Don't worry.   I'm sure they will never turn up water pressure on this ship like that again.  The pipes are just too old.

Forgot to mention - the only dry place in the suite was the bathroom!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Totally agree with your comments about the entertainment this last Christmas; but of course it will likely be a totally different team next Christmas, who will hopefully put in more effort and use more initiative than was evident on our holiday cruise

I’m hoping that the Mariner Christmas 2023 entertainment team do not migrate to the Voyager Christmas 20 24 cruise 😬🤞

5 hours ago, mrlevin said:

I have found that building a rapport with young dining room staff pays off quickly.  Even if they are not the most experienced

Unfortunately we had very inconsistent service in CR. A complete contrast to Chartreuse where the service was exemplary.

The only area we had good service in CR was in Dennis’s section, unfortunately such is his reputation it was not always possible to secure a table there. RSSC confirmed that they were aware of the service shortcomings we experienced.

Edited by lprp

3 hours ago, marycruz said:

D

Previously I described our serious toilet flooding issue on the Mariner in 2019.  Housekeeping did a remarkable job cleaning up the mess (took the entire day to dry with the door open) and the head of housekeeping apologized.  What surprised us the most was the entire lack of acknowledgement by anyone in senior management on the ship.  Not an apology note or call, maybe send some cookies (included) or wine.   Crickets.  Things go wrong, sometimes its how its handled thats important.  

• Like 2

My experience was the same with Destination Services this past September. No acceptance that they messed up and when I sat down with the manager of that team, I quickly understood why the team acted as they did. The manager wouldn’t accept any responsibility, couldn’t even utter the words “I’m Sorry” and felt like she was putting the blame on me. As they say, one bad apple spoils the bunch.

• Like 1

Guest Cooper2020
2 hours ago, lprp said:

I’m hoping that the Mariner Christmas 2023 entertainment team do not migrate to the Voyager Christmas 20 24 cruise 😬🤞

Unfortunately we had very inconsistent service in CR. A complete contrast to Chartreuse where the service was exemplary.

The only area we had good service in CR was in Dennis’s section, unfortunately such is his reputation it was not always possible to secure a table there. RSSC confirmed that they were aware of the service shortcomings we experienced.

I agree about the inconsistent service in Compass Rose. It was hit and miss on the Christmas cruise.    So many times we had to return  our food due to the dishes being cold.  It became embarrassing to the point where I just did not want to go there. The Chartreuse Restaurant was by far the best on the ship fabulous  friendly service and hot  plates/food.

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Previously I described our serious toilet flooding issue on the Mariner in 2019.  Housekeeping did a remarkable job cleaning up the mess (took the entire day to dry with the door open) and the head of housekeeping apologized.  What surprised us the most was the entire lack of acknowledgement by anyone in senior management on the ship.  Not an apology note or call, maybe send some cookies (included) or wine.   Crickets.  Things go wrong, sometimes its how its handled thats important.  

It was just the opposite with us.  Senior Management was all over it.  That's how bad it really was in our suite.   They got us back in before dinner but not before we were moved twice - once in a conceirge cabin down the hall (temporary) and then to another penthouse suite upstairs which they said we accepted as a permanent move (we did not).  This was told to us by the Asst Chief Housekeeper who didn't know what was really happening.  I told her the Chief Housekeeper knew we wanted to come back.  The suite upstairs was upacceptable.  It was so noisy we could not catch any sleep after being up so early and moving all of our stuff out of the suite twice.  We couldn't turn off the shower in that suite.   It was almost comical.  The Asst Chief Housekeeper said our suite was being given to the people next door because we accepted the new penthouse as permanent.  I said that was not happening and that the Chief Housekeeper and the Conceirge knew we wanted to come back to our original suite.   The General Manager was also involved and told us our suite would be ready for us to move back in by 5 PM and it sure was.  

So I have to say we had no problem with anyone on the ship taking care of us.  

Edited by marycruz

Just competed 18 days' on Mariner.  

Regent management had no control over the weather; result:  numerous cancelations of shore excursions. Given time of year and itinerary for this particular segment of the World Cruise, not surprising. 

Our Suite was well-maintained.  No plumbing issues. Same for Public venues.  Heavy rains and high winds resulted in some "leakage" in aft stairwells in Decks 12 and 11.  Fans were deployed.  

Consistent professional service on every aspect and customer interface.  Compass Rose stood out.  Food that was supposed to be HOT, was; food that was not supposed to be HOT, was not.  No gaps in service provided by dining staff at any venue.  Looked forward to each meal. 

Friendly and caring are the best descriptors of Staff demeanor up and down the line. 

Top-notch presentations by Speakers Terry Bishop and Dr. David Plourd.

GOARMY!

• Like 6