How many of us have long nails / painted nails / nail art?

shipgeeks

Am I the only one who prefers short, unpainted fingernails?

I consider myself fairly girly: I love fashion, makeup, hairstyles, earrings.  But I don't understand the appeal of the long and/or painted nails that I see in ads and such.

I have to admit, I have no idea how many women do, which I why I posed this as a question.  When I meet another woman, I probably notice what she is wearing, her posture, her hair, her smile.  But even after all the MDR tables I've shared with other women, and classes I attend, I realize I've never noticed anyone's nails, except for one woman who had very long, multicolored and patterned nails, and always had a drink in her hand.

What do you do?

• Like 2

I usually get my nails done before a cruise. My natural nails tend to the uneven and peeling end of the spectrum, so I get gels put on right before I leave, and they generally last for the full trip. Last time I did a dark red, but I think for my next cruise I'm going to do something more neutral. 

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Am I the only one who prefers short, unpainted fingernails?

I consider myself fairly girly: I love fashion, makeup, hairstyles, earrings.  But I don't understand the appeal of the long and/or painted nails that I see in ads and such.

I have to admit, I have no idea how many women do, which I why I posed this as a question.  When I meet another woman, I probably notice what she is wearing, her posture, her hair, her smile.  But even after all the MDR tables I've shared with other women, and classes I attend, I realize I've never noticed anyone's nails, except for one woman who had very long, multicolored and patterned nails, and always had a drink in her hand.

What do you do?

I'm with you, nothing looks tackier than outlandish nails in my book.  Like hair dyed burgundy or orange ... why would anyone think that's attractive?  

I have "nurse nails." Short, natural, and none the same length. I did do gel for a couple of months before our big cruise last year to grow them out a bit longer, but I'm so used to them short that I couldn't wait to get rid of it and cut them all back.

I don't know how women function with some of the crazy long nails I've seen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

I have "nurse nails." Short, natural, and none the same length. I did do gel for a couple of months before our big cruise last year to grow them out a bit longer, but I'm so used to them short that I couldn't wait to get rid of it and cut them all back.

I don't know how women function with some of the crazy long nails I've seen.

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that I'm a horse person ... how one spends one's time makes a big difference, I'm sure.

• Like 1

I have VERY short nails.......actually my nails have always been one of my vices (bite them). Please no judgements. We all have them (vices) but even when I try to let them grow, they never get very far and break all the time. I never paint them and to be totally honest, the last time I had fake ones that looked nice was back in 1985 for my wedding.  Got divorced within a year (just didn't last) so in 2025 I will be divorced 40 years and my nails? Well, the acrylics last for all of a few months. Just wanted them to look decent for photos.

• Like 1

I have short fingers on little hands with small nail beds so I like a little nail length to help my hands look less stubby.  I get gel manicures about every three to four weeks and I always get the same OPI shade "Cajun Shrimp".  I feel put together with that color and I have gotten compliments on it, even from men!  I think it's like hair length, some women like short or long but it's nice having the option to choose.

I have see some nails that are so long it makes me wonder how they tie their shoelaces, but maybe they have "people" for that😉

• Like 2

On 4/27/2023 at 1:06 PM, ninjacat123 said:

I have short fingers on little hands with small nail beds so I like a little nail length to help my hands look less stubby.  I get gel manicures about every three to four weeks and I always get the same OPI shade "Cajun Shrimp".  I feel put together with that color and I have gotten compliments on it, even from men!  I think it's like hair length, some women like short or long but it's nice having the option to choose.

I have see some nails that are so long it makes me wonder how they tie their shoelaces, but maybe they have "people" for that😉

PS. Here are my Cajun Shrimp nails after my gel manicure today.  Getting ready for my mom's bday cruise May 8!!

nails.jpg

• Like 2

Crazy thing, I have found a technician that can do my gel manicure in 15-20 minutes!  No massage, soaking in a bowl or much cuticle trimming but my last manicure lasted four weeks and with my last technician I was lucky to have it last three weeks.  Plus next door to my dentist so I could have my teeth cleaned at the same time.  JK.🤣

My natural nails are so thin they bend backwards if I let them grow. So I recently started getting acrylic. I change the color depending on my mood. Right now 3 fingers are buttercup yellow and my middle and ring fingers are black with sunflowers on the edges. It makes me feel nice to have nails since I've never been able to let mine grow. Although they aren't crazy long just slightly past the tips of my fingers and a bit longer by the 2nd week.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
13 minutes ago, rosiehee said:

It's fascinating how personal preferences vary when it comes to nails! Short, unpainted nails definitely have their own charm and practicality. Just like fashion and makeup, nail choices are a form of self-expression.

Unless you're a horse person, then short, unpainted nails are what you get.  Just keeping them clean is an ongoing challenge.