Just back from my cruise...my experience with JFK and The TWA Hotel

Lois R

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for your review, and for answering questions!"

Lois R was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Hi folks, a few months ago I had asked for help with hotels and now that I am home I thought I would post about my experience. I flew from Athens via VIenna and arrived into JFK an hour early but when we got off the the plane and went to Passport Control, it looked like something out of a bad movie. Seriously, they only had 3 agents working and the amount of time it took to get through the line? Well, we got in an hour early but were on that line for over an hour........crazy. Finally got through and the luggage area was right there so at least there was that.......got my bag and asked for help on where to pick up the air train to get to the hotel. 

So, went across the street (literally) and took the elevator up and at least there were good signs for everything. I had arrived via Austrian Airlines at Terminal 1 and had to go to the hotel which is terminal 5.  Once I got on the train, it was pretty easy but I was really exhausted. Took the elevator down and then had to go outside again to walk to the hotel. It was almost 9:00pm by then and all I wanted to do was change clothes and get into bed. 

I was too tired to even look around at the hotel.......my flight yesterday was on Delta so I had to go back on the Airtrain and at least I was the first stop at Terminal 4.

The room at the hotel was fine and I realize I was paying for the convienence.......it was quite a bit of $$$ but that is they way it is. 

Anyway, thanks to all who originally helped me. Just wanted to post about my experience. 

1 minute ago, shipgeeks said:

Lois, Once you have rested and recovered, I'd love to hear more about the hotel.

Hi, what would you like to know? It felt like a trek getting there LOL.......the staff at check in were quite nice. The room itself? Basic......the bed was very comfy🙂. I did see they have a lot of photos with trivia about things back in the 60s-70s and what they are now......cost for a new car for example, it was $2,000 then........now a new car averages over 30grand. 

The room had an old dial phone which was funny to see actually. The windows had blinds, rather than a curtain. I couldn't find the button to close the blinds at first so I had to call the front desk. Thankfully they helped me. 

I would stay there again if the circumstance was needed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Lois I feel your pain. I’m sorry you had to endure that. JFK is my home airport. We have Global Entry now, it’s the only way not to spend hours. My daughter even got it for her infant son. 

Thanks......and I will be flying there in Sept too on my return from another cruise. At least I will know what may happen. Unless they decide to hire more agents by then. You know the weird thing? When I flew home yesterday there were LOTS of agents when going through security check in......why can't they have more folks at Passport Control? 

And I have a question.......do you think 2.5 hours is enough time for a connection? (My flight from Europe is arriving at 4:35pm)........my flight home is at  6:55pm. Same terminal........4. But I still have to go through Passport Control😧

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Thanks......and I will be flying there in Sept too on my return from another cruise. At least I will know what may happen. Unless they decide to hire more agents by then. You know the weird thing? When I flew home yesterday there were LOTS of agents when going through security check in......why can't they have more folks at Passport Control? 

Going thru Security is TSA. When you enter the country you go thru Customs and Immigration. 

I’m reasonably confident one of the reasons for staffing at Customs and Border Protection is they assume many travelers have Global Entry (one international flight a year is more than worth $100 for five years!) or will use the Mobile Passport app. Global. Entry is usually seconds to minutes. Never used the app, but it also has a reputation for speed and ease. 

if you don’t have Global Entry, then at least set up the Mobile Passport app. That should be a separate line. I assume you have TSA Pre? That comes with Global Entry, but as stated that’s a totally separate agency from CBP. With TSA Pre, assuming JFK has a pre check line for international connections, and Mobile Passport, 2.5 hours “should” be fine. Then sign up for Global Entry as soon as you’re back home and before your next international flight. 

If I am not mistaken, you have to go in person to get Global Entry and not every city has a place to do that.....when I signed up for TSA pre check last year, I could not sign up for Global Entry too. So yes, I do have Pre check.

As for the lines at JFK, the guy in front of me tried the mobile app and it was not working. He travels overseas and back multiple times per month and had to go through the same line as me so for some reason the Global Entry didn't seem to work either😮He was really mad about it all.

They also have a system where you can complete the enrollment on arrival from an international flight. That’s another option. 

If the app and kiosks weren’t working, there’s no good option!

Edited by markeb
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Lois R said:

If I am not mistaken, you have to go in person to get Global Entry and not every city has a place to do that.....when I signed up for TSA pre check last year, I could not sign up for Global Entry too. So yes, I do have Pre check.

Worth noting that Global Entry supersedes TSA PreCheck. If you have Global Entry, you automatically receive PreCheck (but not the other way around) so no need for an additional application or to pay an additional fee to have both. If you don't get Global Entry this time it might make sense to jump through the extra hoops the next time your PreCheck is up for renewal. 

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

Worth noting that Global Entry supersedes TSA PreCheck. If you have Global Entry, you automatically receive PreCheck (but not the other way around) so no need for an additional application or to pay an additional fee to have both. If you don't get Global Entry this time it might make sense to jump through the extra hoops the next time your PreCheck is up for renewal. 

Hi, that makes sense except for the fact about needing to go to a specific city for Global Entry. I am 2 hours from the nearest city that offers Global Entry. Our airport doesn't offer anything. 

36 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, that makes sense except for the fact about needing to go to a specific city for Global Entry. I am 2 hours from the nearest city that offers Global Entry. Our airport doesn't offer anything.

You can also have your Global Entry interview on arrival to any airport that does offer it without an appointment (although there could be a wait) as long as your Global Entry documents have been submitted.

For example, if you are flying back into JFK from an international destination, all you have to do is notify the Immigration agent that you would like to have your Global Entry interview and they will send you over to where it is conducted. We did ours that way at JFK and it all took less than 20 minutes. 

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

You can also have your Global Entry interview on arrival to any airport that does offer it without an appointment (although there could be a wait) as long as your Global Entry documents have been submitted.

For example, if you are flying back into JFK from an international destination, all you have to do is notify the Immigration agent that you would like to have your Global Entry interview and they will send you over to where it is conducted. We did ours that way at JFK and it all took less than 20 minutes. 

Oh wow, good to know. Thank you🙂

On 4/23/2023 at 3:41 PM, Lois R said:

[W]hen we got off the the plane and went to Passport Control [at JFK], it looked like something out of a bad movie. Seriously, they only had 3 agents working and the amount of time it took to get through the line? Well, we got in an hour early but were on that line for over an hour........crazy.

Many years ago I had flown into JFK using Aerolineas Argentinas. It was a through flight originating in Montéal, stopping at JFK to pick up additional passengers, and then continuing on to Buenos Aires. Apparently, I was the only passenger from Montréal alighting at JFK, so no immigration or customs delays whatsoever . . . I was sole person occupying their time! And they expressed such disappointment that I was entering the United States from Canada only, instead of anyplace more exciting. But it was such a breeze getting through immigration and customs at JFK.

On 4/23/2023 at 3:41 PM, Lois R said:

The room at the hotel was fine and I realize I was paying for the convenience.......it was quite a bit of $$$ but that is they way it is.

On 4/23/2023 at 3:52 PM, Lois R said:

The room itself? Basic......the bed was very comfy🙂. I did see they have a lot of photos with trivia about things back in the 60s-70s and what they are now......cost for a new car for example, it was $2,000 then........now a new car averages over 30grand.

That the architecture is great, the real reason for staying there is indeed convenience. Maybe that example of the cost of new car in the 60s is now the cost of the hotel stay itself, a price for convenience. There is a new Fairfield Inn opening this year in Jamaica, located a comparable distance from the Jamaica AIrTrain station as the TWA Hotel is distant from the Terminal 5 AirTrain station, that may provide similar convenience but at a lower price. The physical proximity of the TWA Hotel to the actual airline terminals, however, will still keep it the most convenient place to stay.

• 4 months later...

I am bringing this back up......I just stayed at The TWA again. I was supposed to stay there for 1 night post cruise but ended up having to book a 2nd night because my flight home was cancelled (actually cancelled 3 times) before FINALLY getting one on the 4th try😮.  

There was no way I was going to sleep overnight in the confines of JFK......so lucky they actually had my same room available for the 2nd night. 

This happened last weekend. I was suppose to fly home JFK to JAX on Sunday morning and should have been home around noon (on the 10th). Well, 3 hours before my flight I got a text saying it was cancelled.  Fortunately I had booked a room for the 9th because I was not sure I would make my connection home Sat night I was going to stay at TWA and come home Sunday morning. And that nightmare began.......so after the text (this was about 5am Sunday morning)........I got a shower and took the air train from terminal 5 to 4 and went up to the Delta terminal.......OMG........100's of flights had been canceled and they had NOTHING going to Jax on Sunday........nada, zilch......zero. They tried re-booking me.......that one got canceled.........then supposedly they got me on one.....but guess what, this was to the WRONG CITY......so that got canceled. Finally on the 4th try......MONDAY night

they had flight. It was supposed to leave about 8:15pm and get here around 10:45........well, that ended up being delayed (of course it was). We did not leave JFK until 10:00pm....arriving at 12:30am so it was really Tuesday...........

All I can say it was good to have that hotel booked for night 2 because I had to go back to the terminal at least 6 times via the air train on Sunday😮............

The hotel let me stay in my room till 1:00 on Monday and then I went and they took my bags (I was in business class) and they let me check in the bags very early. I thought Delta would at let me in the lounge........NOPE......not even business class was allowed.☹️since I was flying domestic......what a PITA. 

I am flying out of JFK again in NOVEMBER yikes!........lets hope this one goes more smoothly.

35 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Gosh Lois I’m sorry you had such bad luck with your flight home. But I’m glad you were able to have a good night’s sleep. 

I hope your cruise was great besides that part. 

Thanks, the cruise was fabulous🙂went from Southampton to Copenhagen with a lot of port days to Ireland and Scotland. All the stops were new for me.