Boarding closed loop tomorrow with ID+birth certificate, but lost ID today!

A young couple, husband wife and two kids, is stressing out about their cruise tomorrow out of Canaveral because the husband lost his wallet earlier today and thus no longer has his drivers license. Wife has her DL and both have their birth certificates, and they have the photo of his DL that they uploaded as part of the booking process.  What's his odds of being allowed to board, and are there any magic words that might make it more likely?

This is the kind of thing that keeps me up at night, so I always travel with at least two (and usually four) acceptable means of identification, and I don't keep them all in one place.

Edited by garywatson
  • Like 1

If he has his passport, no other ID is required or necessary.  Curious as to why he used his DL  at check in when he had a passport?

Oh, that edit changes the problem.  Not sure if a picture of his DL will help.

Edited by poocher

3 minutes ago, poocher said:

If he has his passport, no other ID is required or necessary.  Curious as to why he used his DL  at check in when he had a passport?

Sorry, I corrected the typo - they do not have passports. They have birth certificates.

• Like 1

Just now, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Where does it say they have passport?  With only copies of ID he’ll be denied boarding.

The wife has her d/l and they have a photo of his d/l, and presumably they match address and surname, so it doesn't seem like a huge stretch to let him on. Just wondering if they have any flexibility or is this sort of an iron-clad TSA kind of rule.

Just now, garywatson said:

The wife has her d/l and they have a photo of his d/l, and presumably they match address and surname, so it doesn't seem like a huge stretch to let him on. Just wondering if they have any flexibility or is this sort of an iron-clad TSA kind of rule.

If they wanted to get all forensic about it, they could check the EXIF metadata on his phone to confirm the d/l photo was taken at their home. They could call his home state DMV to confirm validity (but that sounds difficult).

Just now, Debowah said:

Do they live locally? Can he get his DL replaced @ DMV tomorrow AM?

They are from far away, and in any case most DMV's won't make you a photo ID while you wait. The passport office will, if you have a passport, but he doesn't.

2 minutes ago, garywatson said:

If they wanted to get all forensic about it, they could check the EXIF metadata on his phone to confirm the d/l photo was taken at their home. They could call his home state DMV to confirm validity (but that sounds difficult).

I think you are expecting too much from the port staff.  But there are people there whose job it is to assist passengers with this type of problem.  Hope they can help here.

Edited by poocher

17 minutes ago, garywatson said:

It is not iron clad. They can make exceptions and verify identity other ways. The photo of the D/L might work. @ferry_watcher does check ins and might have some info on this subject. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

Losing the wallet is a tough break.

Perhaps he will be fortunate and will be allowed to board, but the family should probably be prepared for him to be turned away.  They need to decide if mom and kids will sail without dad or if the whole family will walk if dad.cannot board.  Dad should not check luggage with porters (nor the rest of the family if they will walk, too)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Losing the wallet is a tough break.

Perhaps he will be fortunate and will be allowed to board, but the family should probably be prepared for him to be turned away.  They need to decide if mom and kids will sail without dad or if the whole family will walk if dad.cannot board.  Dad should not check luggage with porters (nor the rest of the family if they will walk, too)

That's what I suggested, heck if I were the dad I would demand they board without me (else, hear about it over and over for decades how the ruined vacation was my fault). But the wife is fearful of the challenges of taking a cruise alone with two young children.

• Like 1

There have been posts on here about people who had to go see the "uh oh" desk at the pier, and were permitted to board after someone at home MADE A PHOTOCOPY OF A BIRTH CERTIFICATE and faxed or email that to the pier person.  Sounds crazy to me, but more than one person has verified this.

If they will take a faxed photocopy of a birth certificate, you would think that they would take a photo of your driver's license.

But what do I know?  I always travel with my passport.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, garywatson said:

That's what I suggested, heck if I were the dad I would demand they board without me (else, hear about it over and over for decades how the ruined vacation was my fault). But the wife is fearful of the challenges of taking a cruise alone with two young children.

I don’t know what choice that should make if he is denied boarding, but thinking it does seem prudent that they think it through ahead of time.  I do hope he is allowed to board.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

There have been posts on here about people who had to go see the "uh oh" desk at the pier, and were permitted to board after someone at home MADE A PHOTOCOPY OF A BIRTH CERTIFICATE and faxed or email that to the pier person.  Sounds crazy to me, but more than one person has verified this.

If they will take a faxed photocopy of a birth certificate, you would think that they would take a photo of your driver's license.

But what do I know?  I always travel with my passport.

I remember that thread and how surprised we all were that the faxed/emailed copy was accepted.  I would not give up hope yet.  Do they have travel insurance?  And would it cover any of this?

7 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I travel with my passport, Global Entry card, DL, vaccine card and digital scans of my birth certificate and the aforementioned documents.  🙂

Well that’s all fine and dandy for you.    
this ain’t about you though. Lolol.  

id get good copies of the drivers license pic they have.  And maybe file a police report to have a paper trail.    

• Like 6