Boarding closed loop tomorrow with ID+birth certificate, but lost ID today!

Closed Loop Cruise - US passport

Oh people, I do check-in for both Royal and Celebrity.  If any of you came to me with a valid US passport that was still valid by the end of your closed loop cruise I would embark you.  

I would politely let you know that your passport was about to expire, but for the purposes of your closed loop cruise, it still works.

Corporate legalese v boots on the ground, real life, local best practices

mic drop

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Ferry_Watcher said:

Oh people, I do check-in for both Royal and Celebrity.  If any of you came to me with a valid US passport that was still valid by the end of your closed loop cruise I would embark you.  

I would politely let you know that your passport was about to expire, but for the purposes of your closed loop cruise, it still works.

And what is your take on the issue presented here, lost ID.  In your experience, how does that person board?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, poocher said:

And what is your take on the issue presented here, lost ID.  In your experience, how does that person board?

The goal of the pier side staff is to get all passengers onboard legally.  The supervisors know what will and won't be accepted by CBP.  Someone (adult) showing up without a photo ID is rare.  A supervisor might accept a photo work ID, a picture of an old DL, even a Costco card with the passengers photo has been accepted.  If the supervisor is confident that everything about what is being presented in this situation, then they will accept it.  If the supervisor doesn't feel right about what is going on, they can fall back to the corporate policy as a CYA.

The important thing here not having a photo ID is so rare that the supervisors have some leeway to try to make what the unfortunate passenger has, work.  If all of a sudden we had multiple people show up without photo ID and unable to produce something showing their name and picture , then the policy would tighten.

If someone couldn't produce anything showing their name and photo (old passport, old DL, Costco card, employment ID, etc), then they probably would be denied boarding.  We would need something to convince us that the person standing in front of us is truly who they say (and their BC) says they are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

mic drop

Thank you for your response!

What about an Canadian?  My son's passport will expire 5 months after our cruise booked later in the year.  But children passports are only good for 5 years so I want to wait as long as possible to renew.

1 hour ago, MaddyandMax said:

What about an Canadian?  My son's passport will expire 5 months after our cruise booked later in the year.  But children passports are only good for 5 years so I want to wait as long as possible to renew.

If the Canadian passport was accepted for entry to the US at the border by our US CBP (and that Canadian was standing in front of me at a US terminal to get on a closed loop cruise), as long as that passport was valid for at least a day after the cruise, they would be embarked.  I am guessing that your CA CBP officers would want their citizens returning home to Canada with a valid passport, but it doesn't effect your closed loop cruise.

Traveling by plane would be a different story.  When the airlines say they require 6 months remaining on the passport for international flights - they mean it.  I actually had a relative be denied at the airline ticket counter because their passport had less than 6 months left on it (they were trying to fly to England at Christmas).  This was before the pandemic, so they were able to go to the regional passport office and get a same day replacement passport.  The good news was they were able to fly out the next day, but lost their Business Class seats that they had originally booked.  We all learned a lesson from that!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

If the Canadian passport was accepted for entry to the US at the border by our US CBP (and that Canadian was standing in front of me at a US terminal to get on a closed loop cruise), as long as that passport was valid for at least a day after the cruise, they would be embarked.  I am guessing that your CA CBP officers would want their citizens returning home to Canada with a valid passport, but it doesn't effect your closed loop cruise.

Passports for Canadian Citizens travelling to the US only need to be valid for the length of their stay.

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/united-states

Travel by air

Canadian citizens travelling by air to the United States must present one of the following documents:

• a passport, which must be valid for the duration of their stay
  • a valid NEXUS card, used at self-serve kiosks at designated airports

This requirement applies to all Canadian citizens, including children, travelling by air to or even just transiting through the United States.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 2