Boarding closed loop tomorrow with ID+birth certificate, but lost ID today!

2 hours ago, SG65CB said:

This doesn't really resolve anything - "but after a lot of faxxing of documents they were finally allowed to board " -

What documents could be faxed that would resolve the problem of not having a photo ID to match a birth certificate? Who would they be faxed from?

There is some flexibility to prove identity. I know from past discussions that some on Cruise Critic can't comprehend that. They think everything is absolute. They think anyone without photo ID has no chance of being allowed to board but despite that belief identity can be proved without a photo ID. 

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

There is some flexibility to prove identity. I know from past discussions that some on Cruise Critic can't comprehend that. They think everything is absolute. They think anyone without photo ID has no chance of being allowed to board but despite that belief identity can be proved without a photo ID. 

My wife has flown (post-9/11) with no ID at all, so of course it is possible. 

I'm not saying it's not possible. But for this thread to be helpful to anyone who finds themselves in the same situation it would be nice to know how specifically this was resolved so that others can proactively resolve it instead of anxiously waiting all night to see what will happen when they try to board the ship the next day. 

"I lost my wallet after I traveled to the port city, but this other person in the same situation had documents x, y, and z faxed to them and they were able to board." 

3 hours ago, SG65CB said:

My wife has flown (post-9/11) with no ID at all, so of course it is possible. 

I'm not saying it's not possible. But for this thread to be helpful to anyone who finds themselves in the same situation it would be nice to know how specifically this was resolved so that others can proactively resolve it instead of anxiously waiting all night to see what will happen when they try to board the ship the next day. 

"I lost my wallet after I traveled to the port city, but this other person in the same situation had documents x, y, and z faxed to them and they were able to board." 

It would be nice to know but in this instance it does not appear we are going to get more info as OP does not know the person who it happened too. 

Even if we got or get more information I think that anyone in a similar situation would have to anxiously worry. I don’t think that there is any guarantee that they would be able to board. The only thing in my opinion we can know is don’t give up. It could have gone the other way. None should think no worry they will let me board because I heard they let somebody else board. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, SG65CB said:

This doesn't really resolve anything - "but after a lot of faxxing of documents they were finally allowed to board " -

What documents could be faxed that would resolve the problem of not having a photo ID to match a birth certificate? Who would they be faxed from?

We are all just guessing ...  But my guess would be from the MVA.  You need a government issued ID (Driver's License; Passport; etc) with a picture on it.  Or a gov't work ID would work.  Back in the day, I had a pictured ID (as a user) from the National Archives (but this also would have been in my wallet).  In a pinch, even an expired ID would work. 

I suspect that the multiple faxing had something to do with the resolution issue.  Most fax documents are black & white - great for documents but less so for pictures.

• Like 1

You wonder if the sea pass pictures you take at check-in are stored in their system.  I believe that they may use face recognition software on many ships so that they have analyzed facial characteristics.  I hightly doubt the intial check-in person would have access to that, but maybe one of the supervisors could have access and pull up your picture from a previous cruise to confirm identity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

You wonder if the sea pass pictures you take at check-in are stored in their system.  I believe that they may use face recognition software on many ships so that they have analyzed facial characteristics.  I hightly doubt the intial check-in person would have access to that, but maybe one of the supervisors could have access and pull up your picture from a previous cruise to confirm identity.

Royal IT?   I doubt it.  😂😂😂

Seriously though.  What would that prove? This isn’t proof for Royal.  They just need to know you meet the specifics required by the US government or ports visited.  

• Like 1

Maybe we should all have pictures of our ID’s saved on our phones in case this happens to us? I’ve got 1000’s of photos of my dog that I’ll never really need on there so I think I’ll keep one of my DL and one of my passport just in case😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Maybe we should all have pictures of our ID’s saved on our phones in case this happens to us? I’ve got 1000’s of photos of my dog that I’ll never really need on there so I think I’ll keep one of my DL and one of my passport just in case😊

I keep a copy of my DL, passport, Medicare card, eye prescription as notes in the notes app on my iPhone. Can scan them right in within the app.  There are digital DL’s now but I think only 10 states have them yet. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 12:13 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

I was going to say the same thing.  Most of us would show a birth certificate + driver's license ... but the rule is birth certificate + photo ID.  I have a work ID with my picture on it.  I know some people have credit cards with their picture printed on it.  

In my state, you don't walk out from the DMV with a driver's license in hand ... you walk out with a paper saying you have a license, and the official card will come in the mail in 10 days.  Since the paper doesn't have a photograph, I don't think the ship's terminal staff would accept it.  

Yes, I'd like to know!  

No, the rule is "government issued photo ID", not just any old ID with a picture on it.

In PA, you walk out with your new license in hand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

YMMV, as that is changing, especially if you are getting a Real ID.

I have zero memory these days for details like this.  My license has the gold star on it.  According to PA's website, that means that I got the Real ID license.  If that is so, then I just walked out with it.  THAT I remember.

16 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I have zero memory these days for details like this.  My license has the gold star on it.  According to PA's website, that means that I got the Real ID license.  If that is so, then I just walked out with it.  THAT I remember.

I have had two Real ID licenses from two different states.I moved.  In neither state was I able to walk out with it. It was requred to be mailed to my street address as that was part of verifying residence for Real ID in those states. Perhaps Pennsylvania uses a different verification of address but not everyone in the US can walk out with a Real ID licence. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It was requred to be mailed to my street address as that was part of verifying residence for Real ID in those states. 

As an old retired document, personnel, law enforcement, and missile security professional, that makes total sense and it should be like that.  

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

A passport does not have to have six months left except for a few countries and a few cruise lines. 

Well, I am not the webmaster for RCI....

Accepted Identification for U.S. Citizens

• U.S. Passport book that is valid at least 6 months after your cruise ends. A U.S. Passport book is required for sailings that depart from homeports outside of the U.S.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

A passport does not have to have six months left except for a few countries and a few cruise lines. 

I'm not going to debate that "some" people get away with getting on a ship with less than 6 months remaining on their passports after the cruise ends.  I'm sure it happens all the time.  

But, I will say that it is RCCL's policy that you do have at least 6 months remaining on your passport after the completion of your cruise.  Whether they enforce their own policy is...... well, you know. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-travel-documents-i-need-for-boarding-day

• U.S. Passport book that is valid at least 6 months after your cruise ends. A U.S. Passport book is required for sailings that depart from homeports outside of the U.S.

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well, I am not the webmaster for RCI....

Two minds think alike.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

We have had a military discount applied on quite a few cruises.  Don’t know why certain ones are applied.  They say you must have proof but we have never been asked to show it, although we always bring proof.

Sorry, posted to wrong thread🤪

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I'm not going to debate that "some" people get away with getting on a ship with less than 6 months remaining on their passports after the cruise ends.  I'm sure it happens all the time.  

But, I will say that it is RCCL's policy that you do have at least 6 months remaining on your passport after the completion of your cruise.  Whether they enforce their own policy is...... well, you know. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-travel-documents-i-need-for-boarding-day

It says accepted. It does not say required. Some countries do require 6 months so they are covering themselves. If you read further down it mentions some cruises only require a birth certificate and photo ID. Think logically. If you can cruise with a birth certificate they are not going to turn away a valid passport on those itineraries. I traveled internationally on a cruise with Royal with a passport that had five months left because the year when I renewed I had a lot of travel and that was the best window. No problem at all as none all the countries only required a valid passport. Most people are not very careful so they should send their renewal in a year. before it expires. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

I have had two Real ID licenses from two different states.I moved.  In neither state was I able to walk out with it. It was requred to be mailed to my street address as that was part of verifying residence for Real ID in those states. Perhaps Pennsylvania uses a different verification of address but not everyone in the US can walk out with a Real ID licence. 

In NJ it gets mailed to you.