"Love Boat" deceptions....

migdet71

Security is much improved.

I dont remember how many stow aways were on the show (Including Charo!)

I just watched one of the original shows where the crew members were bickering about Thanksgiving, and the Captain told them that there were 600 passengers that deserved their full, professional attention! 

(What ship these days has even that few Crew??!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/25/2023 at 4:37 AM, iamaqt2 said:

All the people on the Lido deck were tanned and skinny.

Yeah. Can I say I was lied too as well?? I want a refund bc I was promised only unattached tanned muscular men but I got obese married men in baggy shorts.

Edited by Ombud
  • Haha 10

Just now, Ombud said:

Yeah. Can I say I was lied too as well?? I want a refund bc I was promised unattached tanned muscular men but I got obese married men in baggy shorts.

It could be worse.  It could be obese married men in a Speedo.  And OLD ones at that.

• Haha 10

On 4/26/2023 at 8:01 PM, sirclean said:

and the Captain told them that there were 600 passengers that deserved their full, professional attention! 

How about Azamera and Oceania ships - which have about 650 passengers?  You might try something different from these new mob-scene Walmarts of the Seas

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

How about Azamera and Oceania ships - which have about 650 passengers?  You might try something different from these new mob-scene Walmarts of the Seas

They have bought old Princess ships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:
On 4/26/2023 at 5:01 PM, sirclean said:

and the Captain told them that there were 600 passengers that deserved their full, professional attention! 

Thats also about the size of the 1970s Princess ships per Wikipedia 

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

Yeah. Can I say I was lied too as well?? I want a refund bc I was promised only unattached tanned muscular men but I got obese married men in baggy shorts.

And they wear the baggy shorts in the DINING ROOM. Oh, the horror! 

Edited by Kellyansapansa
  • Haha 1

On 4/25/2023 at 4:37 AM, iamaqt2 said:

All the people on the Lido deck were tanned and skinny.

You could always tell the scenes that were actually filmed onboard with actual passengers in them!  What a difference!  😁

My husband and I have fond memories of a South America/Amazon River cruise on the original "Love Boat"-- the Pacific Princess.  Don't remember the exact date, but our Princess cruise record shows it was in 1996.  It was a beautiful cruise.  There were about 600 or so passengers and the rooms and amenities were very different from today's.  We only had a port hole, don't remember any TVs, the shows were fun but very simple by comparison to today.  However, the food was wonderful.  Every night there was a different pasta course that was prepared on a moveable cart right at your table.  And, of course, they had the flaming baked Alaska parade!  One day there was even a fantastic seafood buffet out on deck.  In addition to treating the passengers very well, the ship brought some very needed supplies to some of the villages along the river.  And the people were very grateful, friendly and welcoming.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

What old Princess ships did they buy?

Other than the Pacific Princess, (Azamara Onward) they bought the Royal Princess and renamed it the Azamara Pursuit.

The other R-Class that Princess owned was the Tahitian/Ocean Princess. It went to Oceania, renamed the Sirena.

All 8 R-Class ships are owned by either Oceania or Azamara.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, rodndonna said:

When I watched Love Boat growing up (relatively poor on a Canadian army base), I thought cruising was something rich people did - and I never actually imagined I would one day be on a cruise.

In those days cruising was much more expensive than it is now.  My first cruise in 1982 on the Carnival Mardi Gras was over $1000 per person for 7 nights in a cabin with a tiny porthole and no electrical outlets. $1000 then would be $3,100 today.

It's similar for airline tickets. Prices have come way down, and the experience has also changed.

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

In those days cruising was much more expensive than it is now.  My first cruise in 1982 on the Carnival Mardi Gras was over $1000 per person for 7 nights in a cabin with a tiny porthole and no electrical outlets. $1000 then would be $3,100 today.

It's similar for airline tickets. Prices have come way down, and the experience has also changed.

Yeah - When I was a kid, I did not even know anyone (other than our army fathers) who ever flew anywhere - let alone "cruised".

Holidays for us (and anyone we knew) was limited to an annual "pile 5 kids in a smoke filled car for hours  driving to visit our relatives".  They were great holidays though and I wouldn't have traded them for anything. 😀

• Like 4

On 4/24/2023 at 10:15 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

Staff had time to engage in long conversations with passengers

Well, admittedly, they were all senior staff ... not waiters or cabin stewards.  

On 4/25/2023 at 7:15 AM, wrongwaywatson said:

They are talking about the original TV show from the 70s.  Thank goodness that travesty fake reality show that they tried last year didn't take off at all!   I loved the old 70s show!

I loved that show when I was a kid!  

6 hours ago, rodndonna said:

When I watched Love Boat growing up (relatively poor on a Canadian army base), I thought cruising was something rich people did - and I never actually imagined I would one day be on a cruise.

Me too!  I was a poor kid and never would've expected that I'd be able to take multiple cruises as an adult.  

• Like 2

On 4/27/2023 at 5:08 PM, Ombud said:

You were fortunate (baggy shorts).  My eyes are forever burnt with an image of an over-aged man in a bikini thong (or whatever they are called).

• Haha 2

On 4/25/2023 at 6:38 AM, RNRcruisers said:

The women wore high heels on the pool deck 😆

Women wore high heels to Disneyland all day in the 60 and early 70s do it probably did happen on princess during the day then.    Princess had skeet shooting of clay pigeons landing on the sea like it showed on episode one season one too . With alcohol actively encouraged to purchase alongside it . No one got hurt 

• Like 1