Transatlantic updates

cantgetin

I've written a few posts already about what's happening on the current TA, but as I keep getting questions, it might help to keep everything under one heading.

Overall, things are great.  We have 1813 Sailors on board per the tablet at check in, "slightly under 2000" from a person who works in Sailor Services.  There are people on board insisting that the ship can't be that full; I believe that this perception is because VV has gotten better at spreading out guest activities as well as that since this is a long cruise, sailors have formed their own activity groups.  

Cabin host service is outstanding.  On day 1, we made a couple simple requests--that we have an extra roll of toilet paper (there were two almost empty rolls in the cabin at check in), and that we might tend to sleep late in the mornings, but would put the light on for service.  Each time we've seen our team in the hall, they've asked if everything is OK, and it has been.

The long lines at Sailor Services have disappeared.  Again, we haven't needed anything.  All the accounts that were a mess in the app prior to boarding were corrected within 24 hours. But prior to this morning, there were long lines any time we were in the area.  The shops are still closed; we were notified of the supplier switch prior to our sailing and that the shops would open April 26 or 27.  The sundries (necessary stuff you might have forgotten) shop has had limited hours. It will be interesting to see what has been unloaded from all those boxes being moved about.

Dinner last night was in The Wake.  Service was SLOW.  We had been seated at our table for more than 30 minutes before our order was taken.  I guess that if you wanted to spend this time on a fancy date, this might be OK.  For us, it was very slow.  Dinner, from entering the restaurant to exiting, was almost 2 1/2 hours, and none of the delay was due to us.  That said, the food was excellent quality, better than on our previous cruise.  The filet was no longer dry.  The Hanger steak had good flavor.  THe other menu items were excellent, as is typical.  We've had a few restaurant issues in other locations; fortunately none of those happened last evening.  We had evening activities planned, but ended up going back to our cabin and sleeping.

Service in The Galley has been a huge improvement over our previous cruises.  It is a matter of a minute or so from the time we raise that flag until orders are taken.  The food has been served promptly and accurately.  There is a special of the day each evening from 5-10 which is listed on the daily info sheet but not on the app, as well as a burger special during lunch.  There is also a soup and a salad special each lunch, and sometimes a taco special.  

Probably because this is a long cruise, there are more entertainers on board than usual.  The events we've attended have been good; the biggest issue yesterday was that The Dock had no seating remaining.  

I'm up for questions....and  I'll add comments throughout the cruise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dining wise, our group of 5 had same experience in The Wake as you. Sevice took about three hours. Extra Virgin was also just as slow. The Wake and Razzle Dazzle for bruch was also a sloth. Fortunately the rest were quick with Test Kitchen being super fast (I think as they don't need to customize each dish, they can pump out service and meals quickly).

It seems like they really don't try to decrease table turn around time to allow for more dining slots per night. 🤷

How has the wifi been so far?

Edited by hoklun

Wifi has been quite good.   We have premium at no charge on 2 devices as part of Deep Blue Extras.  It is infinitely better than it was in October 2022.  We are on Starlink and I'm testing at 8 Mbps download and 7 upload.  

We had slow service  and mixed up items in Razzle Dazzle on Bimini day, but the past 2 days it has been a different crew in there and  it has been good. That first brunch left us looking at each other and hoping it wouldn't be 2 weeks of that!  

Self done entertainment...thru a social media group, we have organized dance classes in Latin, bellydancing, and ??, a book swap which will meet a couple of times, several events for solo cruisers (in addition to those provided by VV), a football coach doing lectures on "American football," etc.  From VV, we have book club, several game/card tournaments (today was Uno, yesterday was Super Smash Brothers and Mario Kart), day camp crafts, various musical events, Bingo with Diva, Seahorse auction, a comedian....our plans for tonight are stargazing and a musical act.  I'll try to give more on events tomorrow.  I do know that they brought on at least 6 entertainers in addition to the VV crew to keep us occupied.  On October 2022, they only had 3.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the updates. As someone who has never been on a TA but is contemplating one next year I am especially interested in how this differs from a regular cruise. Good to hear VV has added some entertainment! Is the stargazing the one they hold at the Dock? Can you let us know if they actually turn down the lights to make it easier to see stars? We found between ship lights and the smoke from the stacks it was pretty much a waste of time. 

Love that your group is coming up with your own activities to supplement those of VV's - Great idea!

What do you mean when you say the dock has no seat’s remaining? This concerns me as I have a TA booked for next year and another 8 day coming up in November which will be my first VV cruise. On both sailings I specifically chose cabins close to the dock for easy access. 

3 minutes ago, bdever said:

What do you mean when you say the dock has no seat’s remaining? This concerns me as I have a TA booked for next year and another 8 day coming up in November which will be my first VV cruise. On both sailings I specifically chose cabins close to the dock for easy access. 

Would love clarification on this as well….as someone in an inside cabin for the October TA, I was hoping to find outdoor areas such the dock (my happy place) as a substitute.  Hope you are having a wonderful time. 🥂

19 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Service in The Galley has been a huge improvement over our previous cruises.  It is a matter of a minute or so from the time we raise that flag until orders are taken.  The food has been served promptly and accurately. 

I honestly could not believe how much they turned the service in The Galley around when we sailed Scarlet a few weeks ago. I was prepared for the worst, like we had it in July 22, but somebody deserves a medal for re-organizing the service in the Galley. Now it's an enjoyable experience. Enjoy the cruise!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bdever said:

he Dock has lots of seating, but I'm a 70 year old with bad knees.  If I get down on those chair things that are 9 inches or so off the ground, I can't get back up without something to grab onto, etc.....so that limits me to the bar type stools or the seats which are more like normal chair height.....and those are often full.  I've been to The Dock twice now when the only seats remaining were those low ones.  I'm not blaming the ship....it isn't their fault that my body isn't 20 or 40 years old.  I have not had trouble finding seating in other areas.

The Galley is almost a different place than it was in 2022!  Quick, good service, the grab and go stations have items in them, etc.

Today's plans...did VHS workout (I do what I can and don't do the floor stuff), book club in a few minutes.  Bingo with the Diva this afternoon, The Hostess sings herSecrets tonight.   There are trivia events this afternoon and evenings....might do one or not...might hang out at the pool deck/hot tubs.

I've taken to setting alarms for things I've booked so I get the warning to "look at the schedule."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, aviators99 said:

If you add things you've booked/want to attend to the app, it gives you a notification, so you shouldn't need to set an alarm.

True, but then I have to look at my phone....if I leave the phone on the desk, in my tote bag, or wherever, the alarm will alert me.

• Like 1

Today might cancel the good things I've said about The Galley.  I ordered the turkey and swiss panini straight from the menu, no alterations. They brought my friend's lunch and brought me something I couldn't even recognize, so they server took off trying to figure out who that was for....then they brought me a ham and roast beef panini.  By the time I got what I had ordered, my friend had finished her lunch.  Not a stellar performance today.

10 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

Today might cancel the good things I've said about The Galley.  I ordered the turkey and swiss panini straight from the menu, no alterations. They brought my friend's lunch and brought me something I couldn't even recognize, so they server took off trying to figure out who that was for....then they brought me a ham and roast beef panini.  By the time I got what I had ordered, my friend had finished her lunch.  Not a stellar performance today.

Yeah, a week and a half ago it was terrible, too.  Everyone needs to make sure to put it in their survey.  I'm confident they will get it sorted out eventually.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Self done entertainment...thru a social media group, 

What social media group?  We'd like to connect with other cruisers sailing when we are and would love to be part of some organized activities during the crossing of the pond.

1 minute ago, DSGDSG said:

What social media group?  We'd like to connect with other cruisers sailing when we are and would love to be part of some organized activities during the crossing of the pond.

Almost every cruise has a Facebook group for it.

1 minute ago, DSGDSG said:

One that gets you sent to CC jail if you mention them....I've been told to mind my manners twice.

• Like 1

Just now, cantgetin said:

One that gets you sent to CC jail if you mention them....I've been told to mind my manners twice.

Doesn't that figure.  So much for existing to help keep others informed. 

Our PM's are available though

3 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Actually, it was ham and roast pork (yesterday's special was Cuban sandwiches! 🙂 )   Scott. 

OK, bottom line, it wasn't what I ordered.  This morning Galley was "off" again. My omelet and 24 hour oats came out very quickly.  THe other person ordered a toasted bagel which also came quickly, but the French Toast hadn't come by the time we had finished all the other food.  We did flag down the server at one point who checked on t and said it would be a few more minutes.

My other concern in THe Galley is that I wish they had a uniform standard for the changeover from breakfast to lunch.  Today, at 11:30 the fruit, yogurt, cereal station was completely cleaned and closed at 11:35.  The past 2 days, the salad station did not start to break down breakfast until noon, which meant it was not set up to make salads until after 12:15.  I know...first world whining.  I'm reflecting back about a million years when I earned college money working in food service.  "Turnover" was 10:45 and there was a 15 minute period where if we still had some left from breakfast, we could serve it....and we'd have lunch up as quickly as possible, but we could also point out that we'd enter their order but lunch items wouldn't be available till 11.  I don't care what the timing is, but consistency among stations and from one day to the next would be helpful.

Yesterday afternoon was interesting.  We reported someone smoking pot on their balcony which was so dense that we went inside and closed the door.  Security arrived 10-12 minutes later, by which time the smell was gone.  We later learned that it has been an issue in several areas of the ship with multiple reports daily.  One person had a go-pro on a stick and posted a poorly lit photo of the supposed offender in the balcony next to theirs.  Wish they would at least take it to the smoking area....

Again, overall the cruise is very good. 

• Like 1

Concur -- the menu changeover as well as opening times of venues is a bit weird / inconsistent.   I'm on vacation so I don't give it much thought, but it is a bit weird to have to check an app to see if whatever venue is actually going to be open or not.    Scott. 

• Like 1

I'm not on the TA but on Scarlet in early this month I noticed the issue with the changeover in the galley and reported it on my feedback form after the cruise. They pulled everything from basically all the stations except breakfast diner and a few of the sandwiches that crossover at 11am and none reopened before noon. It was crazy! The dessert and bread place was getting everything reset and had the fruit and almost everything out by about 11:45 but wouldn't serve anyone until 12pm. Quite a queue developed!

• Like 1