Where did the loyal HAL World Cruise Passengers go now that HAL doesn't have medium size ships?

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

I don't believe they have gone anywhere. HAL is still HAL The old large is the new medium.

37 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Like Pizzas these days! 😳

Oops - I see that I got that all mixed up! Getting old I guess 🙂 Of course nowadays a large pizza is the size of the old medium.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

I don't believe they have gone anywhere. HAL is still HAL The old large is the new medium.

But what is the old small HAL WC ship?  For that you need to change cruise lines like to Oceania.

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

Oops - I see that I got that all mixed up! Getting old I guess 🙂 Of course nowadays a large pizza is the size of the old medium.

I got what you meant. Much like a footlong that is barely 11 inches these days.

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

But what is the old small HAL WC ship?  For that you need to change cruise lines like to Oceania.

Not even close. The boutique/6 star ships are still small in the 20 - 40,000 GRT range, 5 or 6 star, and 2 to 3 times the price of HAL. Amsterdam was just under 63,000. Most of the boutique ships are half the size of Amsterdam, yet the Vista class HAL ships are less than 20% larger than her. 

Noor, Ooster, Zuider, Wester all look, taste, smell like Dam ships,

The size of them is more similar to Amsterdam than what every other Dam line has,

If anything HAL passengers are the most affected demo to have deserted cruising because of that Dam covid, not because of the size of the ship.

As for which one I would follow on a world cruise - none, unless we have friends aboard. Then it wouldn't matter which ship.

There is a possibility. Fred Olsen isn't HAL, but they are traditional cruising using the former Amsterdam & Rotterdam ships, so this would be an option for someone still wanting to cruise on old liners.

Borealis (former Rotterdam) 2024 World cruise 

https://www.fredolsencruises.com/cruise/world-cruise-s2402

Bolette (former Amsterdam) 2025 World cruise 

https://www.fredolsencruises.com/cruise/around-the-world-t2502

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

There is a possibility. Fred Olsen isn't HAL, but they are traditional cruising using the former Amsterdam & Rotterdam ships, so this would be an option for someone still wanting to cruise on old liners.

Borealis (former Rotterdam) 2024 World cruise 

https://www.fredolsencruises.com/cruise/world-cruise-s2402

Bolette (former Amsterdam) 2025 World cruise 

https://www.fredolsencruises.com/cruise/around-the-world-t2502

Yes Fred.Olsen is a traditional cruising ship which would be great for a world cruise.  I enjoyed Black Watch.

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes Fred.Olsen is a traditional cruising ship which would be great for a world cruise.  I enjoyed Black Watch.

But where do the loyal Fred Olsen cruisers go? 😉

Borealis & Bolette are more than double the size of Black Watch, Braemar & Boudicca. When Black Watch was being beached at Alang last year, there was a vocal group of passengers saying Fred Olsen had sold-out on them by switching to large ships.

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

Borealis & Bolette are more than double the size of Black Watch, Braemar & Boudicca. When Black Watch was being beached at Alang last year, there was a vocal group of passengers saying Fred Olsen had sold-out on them by switching to large ships.

I went from Dover to the Baltic, Norway and St Petersburg via Kiel Canal.  They have interesting itineraries.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, arxcards said:

How do Borealis and Bolette compare to current WC medium cruise ships?

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

How do Borealis and Bolette compare to current WC medium cruise ships?

They are both ex HAL Vista Class ships.  In 2012 we sailed on P&O UK Arcadia, Sydney to Southampton, via Africa with a load of stops. 83,000 tonner, just a nice size for a Worldie.

Edited by NSWP