The Key

1 hour ago, ShillyShally said:

If you buy the Key for both, each person gets internet.  

I was just on Cruise Planner.  For our booking, as soon as one person in the cabin selected The Key, everyone was automatically selected (with everyone being over 6 years old.)

Unfortunately, if only one person in the party needs the Internet, the value of The Key diminishes greatly due to the price.

On 4/30/2023 at 3:20 PM, ShillyShally said:

If you buy the Key for both, each person gets internet.  

You are required to buy The Key for everyone in the room including children 6 and older.

On 4/27/2023 at 10:15 AM, madoris said:

I have a 4 day cruise booked for nov. , the price for the key $36.99 per day. Does the price ever drop or does it stay the same?

It changes almost daily. Our rule of thumb is to compare it to the daily WiFi costs. If it's close to that price, we purchase it since the WiFi is included. I will say The Key embarkation lunch was very weak on our Symphony OTS cruise in December. We'll skip that part the next time we use The Key.

I'm not the target audience for The Key.  Specific thoughts:  

Priority access:  We always arrive early and are among the first "regular cruisers" to board.  Yes, boarding 30 minutes earlier would be nice, but I would not pay more for this small perk.  

Carry on bag delivered to your stateroom:  No thanks.  The whole point of bringing a carry-on is that you don't trust your documents, money and cards, medicines, jewelry and electronics to other people.  I don't carry on clothes, etc. that I would trust to others.    

Welcome lunch & 20% off specialty restaurants:  Eh, our habit is to eat only "included" food ... we're perfectly happy with that /would rather spend elsewhere.  We would eat the "exclusive" lunch but wouldn't bother with the specialty restaurants.  

Fast lane at onboard activities:  Not a big deal to us.  

Priority tenders:  Very few ports require tendering, so this isn't much of a perk.  

Dedicated seating at shows:  This isn't enforced. 

Internet:  We don't buy the internet package.  

Breakfast and disembarkation:  We're happy with the standard offerings for breakfast, and with self-disembarkation we're through the terminal and are in our car 7:30-7:45. We don't enjoy the process of leaving the ship, but I don't think it could be a whole lot better with The Key.  

I can see why people who were going to buy an internet package anyway could justify adding on these other perks, but -- to my eye -- those other perks are low value.  

My husband and I purchased the Key for an 8-day cruise out of Miami back in 2019. My thoughts:

Priority boarding: we always arrive early so I don't know it's a big deal for us. Kind of nice getting on earlier, but I I wouldn't pay some of the above prices for this privilege.

Internet: I don't think either of us used Internet the entire time of our cruise! If I really wanted internet/WiFi, I would monitor the WiFi package in comparison to the Key pricing. 

Priority at shows: again, I didn't see any issue getting a good seat and we never used our "key" for better seats. But we were not on a big ship either. 

Chops lunch on boarding: BLEH! Not the worst food, but I not great either. Not worth it. 

Priority at rock climbing/wave boarding: Not times that I wanted.

Disembarking: We always get up super early and get in line, and are off the ship right away.

We also only paid $19.99/day for the Key. I would not pay the higher price, and probably wouldn't do it again for the $19.99!! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

You are required to buy The Key for everyone in the room including children 6 and older.

Ah yes, it's been a few years so I couldn't remember how it was when I did book it.  For our upcoming cruise the price is still too high for me to "add to cart" 🙂  We really only use the priority boarding, internet, luggage hold/delivery, and final breakfast so it has to be more in line with price of internet alone and right now it's double.

I do wish they just offered the priority boarding/luggage hold/delivery as a Faster to the Fun like Carnival has.  I bet they'd get more takers if they split it into a "Faster to board" and "Priority on board" or something like that.  Like others, I don't know that I'd do it again.

It is up around $40 on most of my upcoming cruises.

It is 'sold out' on some of my upcoming cruises.

It is NOT for experienced cruisers.

On that "other social media site", there are lots and lots and lots of newbies.  They LOVE the idea of The Key.  They snap it up in droves.  When I gently try to list the benefits for them, they say YES YES YES, it's worth it to get all of those wonderful things!  They think that "priority check in", "priority seating" and "priority disembarkation" are worth $100+ beyond the cost of internet.  They are honestly ORGASMIC at the thought of getting all of these wonderful privileges.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

On that "other social media site", there are lots and lots and lots of newbies.  They LOVE the idea of The Key.  They snap it up in droves.  When I gently try to list the benefits for them, they say YES YES YES, it's worth it to get all of those wonderful things!  They think that "priority check in", "priority seating" and "priority disembarkation" are worth $100+ beyond the cost of internet.  They are honestly ORGASMIC at the thought of getting all of these wonderful privileges.

So true.  The bean counters must be salivating with every new cruiser that books.  That being said I did book the key for my cruise that boards on about 6 hours.  It was $80 more than getting internet so that's a price I'm happy with to get the lunch, early boarding since this was a last minute cruise and had a 3pm boarding time and hopefully the extra time for my son on the Flowrider works out.  This will probably be a one and done for us unless another low price appears and there are only 2 of us sailing, with 4 usually sailing it is always a huge added cost due to having to purchase it for everyone.  Even though we are in 2 cabins we couldn't really purchase it for 2 and then say, sorry you don't get to come to lunch, sit in a different area for shows etc...

• Haha 1

With the sale today, I I purchased it for my July Oasis cruise ( which is almost sold out).  Based on what the internet would have cost, it was a good deal, as I get the Chops lunch, can leave the bags for delivery ( I liked that when I did this last on the Anthem a few years ago), and get the  guaranteed seating at shows ( I know some said that does not work, but it did on the Anthem  and this cruise will be packed). I waited for a sale to do this.  

I’m not sure why the feeling is that this is only for new cruisers.

I have taken nearly 60 over the years, but the Key suits my personal likes and dislikes.

i.e. I despise any sort of waiting so anything that can impact that is huge for me.

I don’t like clamoring for a seat in the buffet on embarkation day, I like at least the possibility of a reserved show seat, I like a priority tender if not taking a cruise line shore excursion, etc.

So for me this absolutely has value, particularly so at a decent price point.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, elizabethbp said:

With the sale today, I I purchased it for my July Oasis cruise ( which is almost sold out).  Based on what the internet would have cost, it was a good deal, as I get the Chops lunch, can leave the bags for delivery ( I liked that when I did this last on the Anthem a few years ago), and get the  guaranteed seating at shows ( I know some said that does not work, but it did on the Anthem  and this cruise will be packed). I waited for a sale to do this.  

It is not guaranteed seating.  There is an area which Key people can sit in.  When it is full, it's full.  

23 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

I’m not sure why the feeling is that this is only for new cruisers.

I have taken nearly 60 over the years, but the Key suits my personal likes and dislikes.

i.e. I despise any sort of waiting so anything that can impact that is huge for me.

I don’t like clamoring for a seat in the buffet on embarkation day, I like at least the possibility of a reserved show seat, I like a priority tender if not taking a cruise line shore excursion, etc.

So for me this absolutely has value, particularly so at a decent price point.

I am glad that you see value in it.  (what is your "decent price point"?)  But I would say that  you are the exception rather than the rule.

On 4/27/2023 at 10:19 AM, ShillyShally said:

It changes just like everything else.  I've seen it lower, and purchased once even lower than I've seen it.  As always though, if it's something you want, book now and cancel/rebook later if you find it cheaper or decide it isn't for you!

Around Labor Day last year they had the key pricing at under $20. It was a steal at thst price primarily to the internet and the lunch at the SR. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Around Labor Day last year they had the key pricing at under $20. It was a steal at thst price primarily to the internet and the lunch at the SR. 

That's about the only price point I'll consider it at.  I did see today it's at $24.99 for an upcoming sailing where it had been $35.99 before, but I'm still holding out for $19.99.

• Like 1

I noticed that the Key internet is for 1 device. Does that mean ONE device for the whole trip, or does that mean one device AT A TIME?

I pretty much want my iPad and iPhone both connected because of my vlogging and work. So that matters, since the Voom Surf & Stream allows 4 devices. I don’t mind switching between them.

The Key is “on sale” for the Wonder right now for $32.99 a day; the Voom Surf & Stream is “on sale” for $18.99 a day.  That’s $14 a day more so $98 for Chops lunch, early embarkation//debarkation and better seats (maybe?) for the shows.  I don’t rock climb or flow ride.  I’m traveling alone so I’m almost tempted, if I can switch devices for the internet. 

On 5/2/2023 at 9:07 AM, Merion_Mom said:

We are all different.  I had internet that was $17/person/day and then the key was $21/person/day.  Yes, I could have bought a 4 person package for the internet and be slightly cheaper, but with my family, it's soooooo much easier if we have our own logins and then there's no argument when my uncle "accidentally" adds 17 devices and kicks me and my dad off in the middle of a work meeting. He can kick himself off!

And the chops lunch (maybe $20). Nothing else is important to us.

19 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

I noticed that the Key internet is for 1 device. Does that mean ONE device for the whole trip, or does that mean one device AT A TIME?

I pretty much want my iPad and iPhone both connected because of my vlogging and work. So that matters, since the Voom Surf & Stream allows 4 devices. I don’t mind switching between them.

The Key is “on sale” for the Wonder right now for $32.99 a day; the Voom Surf & Stream is “on sale” for $18.99 a day.  That’s $14 a day more so $98 for Chops lunch, early embarkation//debarkation and better seats (maybe?) for the shows.  I don’t rock climb or flow ride.  I’m traveling alone so I’m almost tempted, if I can switch devices for the internet. 

ONE AT A TIME.  If you attempt to log into a different device, you'll get a warning message and button to log out that other device.  When I used to only get one device, I'd regularly switch between my iPhone and laptop.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 2:27 PM, Merion_Mom said:

I am glad that you see value in it.  (what is your "decent price point"?)  But I would say that  you are the exception rather than the rule.

Nope, not the exception.  There are a number of us like @foodsvcmgr that appreciate the benefits for the reasons stated.  I always purchased The Key.

8 hours ago, celoplyr said:

We are all different.  I had internet that was $17/person/day and then the key was $21/person/day.  Yes, I could have bought a 4 person package for the internet and be slightly cheaper, but with my family, it's soooooo much easier if we have our own logins and then there's no argument when my uncle "accidentally" adds 17 devices and kicks me and my dad off in the middle of a work meeting. He can kick himself off!

And the chops lunch (maybe $20). Nothing else is important to us.

When it was that price, it made sense for many people.  At twice that price, nope.

Does anyone know what the currently included Symphony of the Seas Key-only activities and times are?  I'm sure it will change before my cruise, but I've tried google searching to get an idea, and everything is a Covid-era cruise, so I'm not sure it's on point.  Thanks if anyone has info!

I just picked it up for my 8 day Adventure Feb 2024 at $20.99.  At that price it is worth it to me.  I'm going to buy a two device internet package anyways and I always book an embarkation lunch in a specialty restaurant because the Windjammer is always chaos on boarding day.  The difference for everything else comes to a grand total of $63.85.

Not carrying my CPAP around on boarding day is worth a few bucks and the premium seating in Studio B is worth a little to me as well.  I love the figure skating show and go at least twice.  The other benefits make up the difference I'd say.  The other cruises I have booked are all much higher so I see no value at that point.  

ScreenShot2023-05-04at11_04_24AM.thumb.png.0b51d753350e686ec776c5264bc89b2a.png

What is odd to me is that we are only 10 months out and still no sign of specialty dining.

ScreenShot2023-05-04at11_01_11AM.thumb.png.582a9f43db3ecd14b532ffc6c322b440.png

Edited by Tree_skier

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

What is odd to me is that we are only 10 months out and still no sign of specialty dining.

ScreenShot2023-05-04at11_01_11AM.thumb.png.582a9f43db3ecd14b532ffc6c322b440.png

I don't have any signs of specialty dining for my December 22, 2023 Vision sailing...