Disembarkation in Amsterdam

Skicruiser55

Great questions, cruising sister!  

8 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

We have a non-stop to Seattle. We are also staying at the Hilton at the airport but just on the 31st. Have a more central hotel after we get off the ship on the 28th.

Check your hotel rate.  I have up until 24 hours before check-in to cancel all Hilton reservations, so I might look at rates again two days before my check-ins and change to a pre-paid rate to save even more... If the rates are still lower. 

2 hours ago, Ockatty said:

My mom was able to self disembark in Amsterdam from the Rotterdam this morning at 7:30. We had arranged for a staxi at 7:45. She arrived at the Schipol airport at 8:15 and was through security and passport control by 9:30. My flight is at 16:15, but they aren’t allowing anyone to checkin until 3 hours before the flight.

So happy that your mother made it!  This post is so helpful to all those going straight to the airport from the cruise.  Unfortunately for some, with those earlier flight times (10:15, 10:35, etc.), this does not sound good if the ship does not let passengers off any earlier than 7:30.   Do you know if 7:30am was the earliest that passengers were allowed to get off?   

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Great questions, cruising sister!  

Check your hotel rate.  I have up until 24 hours before check-in to cancel all Hilton reservations, so I might look at rates again two days before my check-ins and change to a pre-paid rate to save even more... If the rates are still lower. 

So happy that your mother made it!  This post is so helpful to all those going straight to the airport from the cruise.  Unfortunately for some, with those earlier flight times (10:15, 10:35, etc.), this does not sound good if the ship does not let passengers off any earlier than 7:30.   Do you know if 7:30am was the earliest that passengers were allowed to get off?   

They announced that we were cleared and able to self disembark at 7:15. The earliest time available for people needing luggage assist was 8:15-8:30, but there were a lot of bags at baggage claim when we walked by at 7:45.  It also took me an hour to get through security and passport control this afternoon. This is a busy weekend being the end of Eid and Kings Day/May Day holidays. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/27/2023 at 4:07 PM, Skicruiser55 said:

Still wonder if I am better off using private driver instead of the ship’s transfer - that it might save time.  I wish now I’d booked a later flight.  It’s an acceptable Flight Ease schedule so I assume if there’s delays they will have to get me re-booked. 

I would 100% use a private transport. We are using on for our September cruise from Rotterdam but we are flying out of Amsterdam. We are using Private Transfers Schiphol | Private Transfers Amsterdam (viptravelservices.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ockatty said:

My mom was able to self disembark in Amsterdam from the Rotterdam this morning at 7:30. We had arranged for a staxi at 7:45. She arrived at the Schipol airport at 8:15 and was through security and passport control by 9:30. My flight is at 16:15, but they aren’t allowing anyone to checkin until 3 hours before the flight.

That's encouraging! Thanks for some positive feedback, after everyone (including me) talking about what a disaster it might be. Great to know that things are improving. How much was the staxi?

On 4/27/2023 at 10:30 AM, Skicruiser55 said:

I am looking at pre-booking a private transfer to the AMS airport.  What is the earliest time I can expect to be off the ship (we are in a Neptune suite)?  We have a 12:40 flight.  I have ships transfer booked but thinking it might be easier and faster to book our own transfer.  

I just disembarked Amsterdam yesterday morning. I believe the earliest time to get off of the ship is 7-730 am. You will be given special luggage tags and instructions if you are in a Naptune Suite. 

We flew to and from Schiphol and the conditions have definitely improved since last year. They seemed to have an abundance of staff in place. Our departure was the most efficient we've ever experienced internationally. I know the head of the airport was replaced due to all of the problems from last year. Although April is the shoulder season, it is spring break in Holland, they just celebrated King's Day, and had the annual tulip parade the day we arrived. Still probably won't compare to the summer months though. The good news is things are getting much better! 

When we arrived we did face a challenge in that it took over one hour for our luggage to arrive. They never provided an explanation as to why  Just be ready with the attitude of "the show must go on". We only checked our bags bc we had to bring clothes to fit the cooler weather  

We traveled by train from the airport to Amsterdam and traveled by Uber from the port to the airport. If I could redo it, I would have skipped the train when we arrived and used Uber. Taxis were very expensive and we used one twice. I would have not done the taxi and chosen Uber. I'm not a big Uber person but it was so simple. They use mostly Teslas for their Ubers or other electric vehicles. Very glad I didn't waste money on a private car as we typically do.

I can understand arranging for a private car transfer when you disembark for peace of mind but my experience with Uber is that it's so simple you could easily do it.

Other Amsterdam advice - get Ann Frank house tickets six weeks in advance as soon as they are released, get any museum tickets in advance and take a canal cruise!

• Like 2

Glad you had a good experience.  May I ask what airline you were flying in on?  Was it just your luggage that was late coming out, or the entire plane's luggage?  That's disturbing as we have scheduled a train to Germany after we fly in to AMS.  We do have a couple of hours+ built it before the train arrives.  I cannot rememeber...is immigration first or luggage pick-up?

14 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

I just disembarked Amsterdam yesterday morning. I believe the earliest time to get off of the ship is 7-730 am. You will be given special luggage tags and instructions if you are in a Naptune Suite. 

We flew to and from Schiphol and the conditions have definitely improved since last year. They seemed to have an abundance of staff in place. Our departure was the most efficient we've ever experienced internationally. I know the head of the airport was replaced due to all of the problems from last year. Although April is the shoulder season, it is spring break in Holland, they just celebrated King's Day, and had the annual tulip parade the day we arrived. Still probably won't compare to the summer months though. The good news is things are getting much better! 

When we arrived we did face a challenge in that it took over one hour for our luggage to arrive. They never provided an explanation as to why  Just be ready with the attitude of "the show must go on". We only checked our bags bc we had to bring clothes to fit the cooler weather  

We traveled by train from the airport to Amsterdam and traveled by Uber from the port to the airport. If I could redo it, I would have skipped the train when we arrived and used Uber. Taxis were very expensive and we used one twice. I would have not done the taxi and chosen Uber. I'm not a big Uber person but it was so simple. They use mostly Teslas for their Ubers or other electric vehicles. Very glad I didn't waste money on a private car as we typically do.

I can understand arranging for a private car transfer when you disembark for peace of mind but my experience with Uber is that it's so simple you could easily do it.

Other Amsterdam advice - get Ann Frank house tickets six weeks in advance as soon as they are released, get any museum tickets in advance and take a canal cruise!

I like that using Uber was easy.  We are planning on doing the same.  I tend to get nervous that it will be a circus with many people waiting.  Did you have much of a wait for a car?  Thanks.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

I like that using Uber was easy.  We are planning on doing the same.  I tend to get nervous that it will be a circus with many people waiting.  Did you have much of a wait for a car?  Thanks.  

Almost immediately 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to add a trip for those flying into Schiphol. The airport has an app. If you sign up for the app or notifications, you get a coupon for 5 EU off of 25 at the duty free on chocolate, alcohol; etc. This worked out great for me as I realized upon departure that there were many little souvenirs that O did not get during our travels so I stocked up on stropwaffels at the airport. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

23 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Wanted to add a trip for those flying into Schiphol. The airport has an app. If you sign up for the app or notifications, you get a coupon for 5 EU off of 25 at the duty free on chocolate, alcohol; etc. This worked out great for me as I realized upon departure that there were many little souvenirs that O did not get during our travels so I stocked up on stropwaffels at the airport. 

THANKS

• Like 1

7 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Great info. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 6:21 PM, Skicruiser55 said:

Thanks!  I went ahead and booked a private shuttle for 8:30.  We’ll have priority debarkation so that’ll help.  I’d rather be safe than sorry and counting on the HAL transfer that could get cancelled.   

Where are you in TN - we lived in Franklin for 14 years.  

Would you mind giving me the name of the private shuttle?  Will be disembarking at AMA in early August.  Thanks   

w

1 minute ago, Tampa Girl said:

Would you mind giving me the name of the private shuttle?  Will be disembarking at AMA in early August.  Thanks   

I am using Welcome Pickups - I haven’t personally used them but know someone who has used them multiple times in various ports.

https://www.welcomepickups.com/amsterdam/

19 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

w

We are using Vip Travel services for our Apex cruise in September. We have 4 in our party and it was less cost per person than booking a Celebrity Shuttle.

Private Transfers Schiphol | Private Transfers Amsterdam (viptravelservices.com)

Skicruiser55 - I cannot remember if it was you I was to report back on the airport situation, but here it goes. We landed 30 minutes earlier than planned at 7:30am.  We were off the airplane and through immigration on our way to the luggage carousel by a little before 8:00am. 😀. Our luggage was waiting for us as we arrived.  It’s a long walk, though.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Skicruiser55 - I cannot remember if it was you I was to report back on the airport situation, but here it goes. We landed 30 minutes earlier than planned at 7:30am.  We were off the airplane and through immigration on our way to the luggage carousel by a little before 8:00am. 😀. Our luggage was waiting for us as we arrived.  It’s a long walk, though.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you - good information.  Enjoy your cruise and I hope you post pictures 

On 5/11/2023 at 9:07 AM, Skicruiser55 said:

I am using Welcome Pickups - I haven’t personally used them but know someone who has used them multiple times in various ports.

https://www.welcomepickups.com/amsterdam/

Thanks for this note to @Tampa Girl. We also scheduled Welcome Pickups. They seem very thorough, and close to Uber pricing.

18 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Thanks for this note to @Tampa Girl. We also scheduled Welcome Pickups. They seem very thorough, and close to Uber pricing.

Do you remember what time you scheduled your pick-up and which location you used for the port pick-up?  It seemed like Welcome Pick-ups had a couple of locations for cruise pick-up.  I didn't want to get confused with any river cruise pick-up locations.

24 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Do you remember what time you scheduled your pick-up and which location you used for the port pick-up?  It seemed like Welcome Pick-ups had a couple of locations for cruise pick-up.  I didn't want to get confused with any river cruise pick-up locations.

I used Amsterdam Cruise Port Terminal on my booking and gave the name of the ship.  I also downloaded their app on my phone. 

• Thanks 1