Does bartenders have the right to give "one on the house"?

I would bet money that they aren’t authorized to give free drinks. I don’t why they would, risk their job hoping they would get a tip, higher than what they would get by charging for it. I know it happens, I’ve seen them give two drinks with one card and two drinks with one card and some cash folded up underneath it.

The comment about giving someone a free drink will lead them to book another cruise is beyond my imagination, a free $10 drink turns into a cruise that cost thousands of dollars, really??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

The comment about giving someone a free drink will lead them to book another cruise is beyond my imagination, a free $10 drink turns into a cruise that cost thousands of dollars, really??

Yes, really.  Look at the crazy stuff people complain about where they claim "I'm switching cruise lines"

Well it works in the positive to be a repeat customer, too.

While I may look like Lurch, the wife is beautiful and frequently receives free drinks from bartenders, suits and passengers. Whether I’m there or not. It’s called the “beautiful people discount”.  Or is it the “I’d like to get to know you discount”.  30+ Years of marriage has made me realize, it’s been saving me a lot of money over the years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Yes, really.  Look at the crazy stuff people complain about where they claim "I'm switching cruise lines"

Well it works in the positive to be a repeat customer, too.

Will anybody that can honestly say they booked another cruise based only on getting a free $10 drink please step forward. A lousy free drink wouldn’t even guarantee I would go back to that bartender or server. My drink of choice is domestic beer and I can buy a 30 pack for about $17 including tax. That’s what I paid for the Cinco de Mayo sale last week.

• Haha 2

Every now and then it appears that I may not have been "zero charged" a crown and anchor drink, in essence giving me an extra drink that day.   I tip every drink when i order and really don't know about the missing zero charge until I review my account at the end of the day or the next day. 

So it is either a mistake, or a gift. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

As a bartender on land for many years...my motto has always been "if I like you enough to give you a free drink, I need to like you enough to pay for  that drink". And yes I have taken money out of my pocket...

Giving free drinks is stealing, plain and simple...I have never ever had a boss/owner say "feel free to give away drinks" liquor liability laws have major consequences on land...not sure on the open sea...but giving free drinks has never been an option..

Edited by Scoobydobe7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

Will anybody that can honestly say they booked another cruise based only on getting a free $10 drink please step forward. A lousy free drink wouldn’t even guarantee I would go back to that bartender or server. My drink of choice is domestic beer and I can buy a 30 pack for about $17 including tax. That’s what I paid for the Cinco de Mayo sale last week.

It’s obviously not one thing that does it over an entire cruise.  More of a cumulative impact of multiple positive things.  But a free drink can most

definitely make one happy.  

Customer satisfaction can easily be swayed by a simple smile.  Companies  that train employees well in customer service know that even one simple thing can make all the difference between a favorable or unfavorable experience for the customer.   A few little things can add up to a lot (positive or negative).  That’s why consistency in good service delivery is so important to companies that are great at it (note: I’m not arguing Royal is great it- just making a point in general).  

4 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

You leaving cash on the bar? 

I did on my first two cruises and the bar tender put the cash in a bucket. He said we need to share the tips but I want you to get the cash I said. 

On 4/30/2023 at 3:09 AM, Hogbay said:

🙄 it's a wonder you are not asking for ceo personal email or for the bean counters . Why are you trying to get some one sent home ???Curiosity Killed The Cat .......

Are you a little drunk maybe ? 😉

If I wanted someone sent home, would I tip them well ?? 😂😂

On 4/30/2023 at 3:41 PM, caribsun said:

I did on my first two cruises and the bar tender put the cash in a bucket. He said we need to share the tips but I want you to get the cash I said. 

I leave a cash tip with every drink , in suite lounge or any other bar .

On 4/29/2023 at 4:15 AM, TeRriii said:

I got free cocktails for me and my wife from North Star Bar bartender.

He said the cocktail is on the house because only me that always tips him when I ordered drinks.

The sailing is on East Asia, tipping culture is not well known there. 

This makes no sense to me.  On the ship, if you pay for it, you pay 18%.  If you are tipping more than 18% that is not normal.  Plus, it is not tipping culture, it is customary tipping, which is 18%.  So, everyone tips him, 18%.

On 4/30/2023 at 10:26 AM, topnole said:

I don’t think you or I know their internal policies.   I’ve sometimes wondered whether they had or currently have discretion.  I wouldn’t be shocked if they do.  

Plus, beverages on a Royal ship are way different from a typical bar.  Many passengers are on an unlimited drinking package while others get 4-6 free per day.  So bartenders are probably serving more drinks without any exchange of money than they are where they charged for the drink.  A typical F&B manager knows exactly how much profit they will get out of a given bottle.  With so many packages and free diamond drinks the typical formula isn’t applicable on a Royal ship.  

A couple of things here.

• Every drink --whether it is paid for with an elite voucher or served to a pax on a drink package-- is supposed to be recorded as a sale in the POS.  While Royal and I think NCL still don't limit beverage packages, for years some Carnival Corp brands DO limit guests to 15 drinks a day; that's why it's never referred to as "unlimited."  The Point of Sale system keeps track of every guest on a beverage package and a bartender can display every drink ordered with time and location.  And on Carnival, when a guest hits 15 drinks for the day on their package, they are CUT OFF, meaning they cannot even pay for an additional drink.  The POS imposes a 10 minute wait period between ordering drinks, with the intention that the bartender doesn't serve a guest two drinks within that time frame.  (In reality, this is one that stops few bartenders who will serve the drinks, then wait to ring it up.)
  • It's true that beverage packages distort the normal projection of revenue and profit at the bottle level for a Beverage Manager.  But that doesn't mean there aren't more global standards for accountability.  A cruise line relies upon the data from the POS to help confirm that beverage packages remain profitable, and at a level of profitability that remains acceptable.
  • Ever notice how all the bartenders use measures to pour drinks?  Policy.  Even the most experienced bartender who may have a very controlled free pour uses the measure.  Why?  Ever notice the number of security cameras trained at each bar?  They are there to keep the bartenders honest and following policy.  While there's NOT a security team constantly monitoring the feed, the minute results from the POS point to an irregularity, you can bet a beverage manager will spend some time reviewing footage. 
  • On shore, where liquor laws don't prohibit the practice, a well-run bar may allow a bartender to comp an occasional drink by ringing the drink on a HOUSE Tab.  The most common justification is loyalty recognition.  (That's different than a manager who may ring up and comp food or drinks for guest appeasement.)  At sea Royal loyalty program does recognize the loyalty of their top tier guests with 4-6 comp drinks daily.  It's their conscious decision to not extend the benefit to their loyal Gold, Platinum & Emerald guests, so it stands to reason that bartenders do not have the authority to comp drinks to anyone. 
  • Lastly, to address your quote that I highlighted in red, there should NEVER be a drink served onboard with an exchange of money, as in cash.  Every drink should be rung up on a check, and paid for with a voucher allotment, individual drink package allotment, or as a room charge.  Any exchange of cash would be an additional gratuity acknowledging exceptional service.  When a cash gratuity is presented in recognition of an overpour or drink served without a charge for it, as someone else has already stated:  'it's stealing."  If caught, even the first offense can lead to termination of employment.

2 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

A couple of things here.

• Every drink --whether it is paid for with an elite voucher or served to a pax on a drink package-- is supposed to be recorded as a sale in the POS.  While Royal and I think NCL still don't limit beverage packages, for years some Carnival Corp brands DO limit guests to 15 drinks a day; that's why it's never referred to as "unlimited."  The Point of Sale system keeps track of every guest on a beverage package and a bartender can display every drink ordered with time and location.  And on Carnival, when a guest hits 15 drinks for the day on their package, they are CUT OFF, meaning they cannot even pay for an additional drink.  The POS imposes a 10 minute wait period between ordering drinks, with the intention that the bartender doesn't serve a guest two drinks within that time frame.  (In reality, this is one that stops few bartenders who will serve the drinks, then wait to ring it up.)
  • It's true that beverage packages distort the normal projection of revenue and profit at the bottle level for a Beverage Manager.  But that doesn't mean there aren't more global standards for accountability.  A cruise line relies upon the data from the POS to help confirm that beverage packages remain profitable, and at a level of profitability that remains acceptable.
  • Ever notice how all the bartenders use measures to pour drinks?  Policy.  Even the most experienced bartender who may have a very controlled free pour uses the measure.  Why?  Ever notice the number of security cameras trained at each bar?  They are there to keep the bartenders honest and following policy.  While there's NOT a security team constantly monitoring the feed, the minute results from the POS point to an irregularity, you can bet a beverage manager will spend some time reviewing footage. 
  • On shore, where liquor laws don't prohibit the practice, a well-run bar may allow a bartender to comp an occasional drink by ringing the drink on a HOUSE Tab.  The most common justification is loyalty recognition.  (That's different than a manager who may ring up and comp food or drinks for guest appeasement.)  At sea Royal loyalty program does recognize the loyalty of their top tier guests with 4-6 comp drinks daily.  It's their conscious decision to not extend the benefit to their loyal Gold, Platinum & Emerald guests, so it stands to reason that bartenders do not have the authority to comp drinks to anyone. 
  • Lastly, to address your quote that I highlighted in red, there should NEVER be a drink served onboard with an exchange of money, as in cash.  Every drink should be rung up on a check, and paid for with a voucher allotment, individual drink package allotment, or as a room charge.  Any exchange of cash would be an additional gratuity acknowledging exceptional service.  When a cash gratuity is presented in recognition of an overpour or drink served without a charge for it, as someone else has already stated:  'it's stealing."  If caught, even the first offense can lead to termination of employment.

Per your last paragraph.  All cash is money.  Not all money is cash, and obviously all cruise long people spend money without ever touching cash.  Same as on land where a dominant share of money is spent without using cash.  Clearly the context of my point was that many drink orders involve someone using free diamond drinks or their pre purchased unlimited drink package.   I said nothing about people buying drinks with cash so I’m not really sure how you came to that assumption or what your are getting at?  

2 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

A couple of things here.

I don’t drink liquor, but people report healthy pours on CC all the time.  I’m also certain I’ve watched many bartenders free pour.   Many also mention getting free drinks.  

I’ve never heard of a bar tender getting fired for such a thing.  I’m sure it has happened for excessive abuse reasons, but it certainly doesn’t seem prevalent whereas free drinks and strong pours are relatively common.  

With that said, I have no idea their official policy.  But even if it is 100% strict, policy is as policy does.  In other words your policy becomes what you allow and clearly Royal seems to allow it.  

Now we can debate whether this should happen or not, but companies everywhere have policy they don’t enforce and in fact by managerial actions  support the opposite of the policy.   As such, policy is as policy does.  This isn’t something that is being hidden from operational management, top management, or even ownership.   Many on here talking about free drinks own Royal stock.  It wouldn’t take hidden cameras, but maybe  1-10 “mystery shoppers” to see it in practice on any ship. This isn’t some well hidden practice.   It is pervasive and well known.    

Edited by topnole
  • Like 1

It pays to be nice...simple rule, more honey more service.  A smile and appreciative attitude is just the way to act period.  If that gets you a stiffer drink or someone overlooks your card, it's none of my business...they know genuine concern when they see it.  Most of those had nothing to do with an extra tip either. We appreciate people who serve us, that's all, whether it "Gets" us anything doesn't matter, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.  And yes, it does make a difference in brand loyalty.  And by the way, we've had multiple incidents of restaurant and bar managers "giving" us bottles of wine etc. if we even mention we are not pleased about something.  So they all do it whether it's policy or not...and it's not a secret.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, topnole said:

Per your last paragraph.  All cash is money.  Not all money is cash, and obviously all cruise long people spend money without ever touching cash.  Same as on land where a dominant share of money is spent without using cash.  Clearly the context of my point was that many drink orders involve someone using free diamond drinks or their pre purchased unlimited drink package.   I said nothing about people buying drinks with cash so I’m not really sure how you came to that assumption or what your are getting at?  

You're splitting hairs here.  While the initial forms of money were agricultural commodities, such as grain or cattle.  In modern times money refers to banknotes and coins.  

I used your words as a segue when I stated "...an exchange of money, as in cash..." The point I was making I thought was very clear and echoed another post:  when a guest gives cash to a bartender on board for anything other than recognition of service --such as to entice the bartender to pour a stronger drink or to not ring-up/charge for the drink-- it's an act of stealing from the company.

Yes, the same principal applies if the guest hands over a bag of flour or a goat.

6 hours ago, topnole said:

I don’t drink liquor, but people report healthy pours on CC all the time.  I’m also certain I’ve watched many bartenders free pour.   Many also mention getting free drinks.  

I’ve never heard of a bar tender getting fired for such a thing.  I’m sure it has happened for excessive abuse reasons, but it certainly doesn’t seem prevalent whereas free drinks and strong pours are relatively common.  

With that said, I have no idea their official policy.  But even if it is 100% strict, policy is as policy does.  In other words your policy becomes what you allow and clearly Royal seems to allow it.  

Now we can debate whether this should happen or not, but companies everywhere have policy they don’t enforce and in fact by managerial actions  support the opposite of the policy.   As such, policy is as policy does.  This isn’t something that is being hidden from operational management, top management, or even ownership.   Many on here talking about free drinks own Royal stock.  It wouldn’t take hidden cameras, but maybe  1-10 “mystery shoppers” to see it in practice on any ship. This isn’t some well hidden practice.   It is pervasive and well known.    

I can share with you first hand two experiences.

First was the very well-liked bartender and long-term employee who was let go the same day the mystery shopper's report arrived, describing how he poured and served a drink, took the cash offered as a tip and placed it in his tip jar without ever ringing a sale.

Second was a Beverage Manager whose employment was terminated because she never reported cash collected for beer given to guests.  Myself and the HR Director had to appear for an unemployment hearing when she tried to claim benefits.

Ask yourself this:  if you owned a business, how many chances would you give an employee whom you caught stealing before you let them go?

7 hours ago, topnole said:

Ask yourself this:

If you worked for a cruise line that is looking for every way to increase profitability to help service unprecedented debt, and you run across a juicy posting like this, wouldn't you print it out and send it upwards?  I'd be printing it in color to capture the enhancements

31 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

Ask yourself this:

If you worked for a cruise line that is looking for every way to increase profitability to help service unprecedented debt, and you run across a juicy posting like this, wouldn't you print it out and send it upwards?  I'd be printing it in color to capture the enhancements

There have been threads like this for years.  They know it and have for a long time.  It isn’t a secret to anyone.  

40 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

I can share with you first hand two experiences.

First was the very well-liked bartender and long-term employee who was let go the same day the mystery shopper's report arrived, describing how he poured and served a drink, took the cash offered as a tip and placed it in his tip jar without ever ringing a sale.

Second was a Beverage Manager whose employment was terminated because she never reported cash collected for beer given to guests.  Myself and the HR Director had to appear for an unemployment hearing when she tried to claim benefits.

Ask yourself this:  if you owned a business, how many chances would you give an employee whom you caught stealing before you let them go?

I’m guessing more than a one time thing for those fired and probably excessive abuse, but who knows. Either they have horrible controls or they don’t care.  Not saying either is a good thing.  I’m not here to justify anything.  But I know what I see and many servers give drinks or over pour.  This is reported all the time on here.  And they don’t seem to fire them often.  Not saying it doesn’t happen, but I doubt for the occasional drink here and there.  That is why I wonder if they get a little leeway.  I guess if you work for Royal and know these two you would know why?  But if these weren’t Royal examples, they tell us zero about Royal.