Newark Airport Transportation to Royal Caribbean Port

Cthy651

Taking a cruise in Aug - tried to get RCC shuttle, but booked and on a waiting list.

First time to this port.  

What would be the best mode of transportation to the port, any recommendations?

Thank you

1 hour ago, Cthy651 said:

Taking a cruise in Aug - tried to get RCC shuttle, but booked and on a waiting list.

First time to this port.  

What would be the best mode of transportation to the port, any recommendations?

Thank you

We just stay overnight the day before and Uber to the port 

Hi,

If you are sailing both out of and back into Bayonne and need to travel from Newark Airport both ends, then I would seriously suggest booking both journeys with the same cab firm. The one in Bayonne I have used is Archies Cabs, sorry don't have the number at hand. If there are 2-4 of you then it may work out cheaper than the shuttle anyway.

I have been on several ships out of this port where the cruise line have cancelled shuttle buses on the day of dis-embarkation leaving hundreds of people queuing frantically for a taxi in fear of missing their flights.

BTW If you want t tip, the local taxi firms may suggest dropping you off and picking you up just round the corner from the terminal and away from the main taxi rank to avoid hassle.

This port has always been (and still is) a pain in the back side for me. It only seems designed for passengers who travel with their own cars and park up and has basically no infrastructure for arriving by any other means. Taxi is the only real way to arrive at this port if you don't have your own car.

Hope this helps

Mick.

1 hour ago, Mick B said:

Taxi is the only real way to arrive at this port if you don't have your own car.

That simply isn't true. Uber, Lyft, and car services such as Dial 7 and Carmel Limo are better ways to travel to and from Cape Liberty than the often dirty, dingy ancient vehicles used by the local taxi companies. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

are better ways to travel to and from Cape Liberty than the often dirty, dingy ancient vehicles used by the local taxi companies. 

This. Cabs in New Jersey are awful. Stay away from them. Plenty of better options above and some, like Uber/Lyft, at better pricing than taxis. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

This. Cabs in New Jersey are awful. Stay away from them. Plenty of better options above and some, like Uber/Lyft, at better pricing than taxis. 

I do not understand why they are so bad, especially now with rideshare competition! I think most of them are ancient, and were ancient 30 years ago when there wasn’t a choice. I do think the rideshares have become more expensive and fares are creeping up, but better than taxis.

1 hour ago, Cthy651 said:

Thank you all for your input.  Will probably either book Archies Cab or Carmel Limo.  Thanks again, and Happy Sailing

201 858 8800 is Archie's phone number. They are located in Bayonne NJ and also operate under the name Bayonne Yellow Cab with a different phone number. I have used Archie's with no issue, though only in Bayonne not from Newark.

If you use Archie's both ways ask if on the return from Cape Liberty their cab can meet you in car service zones 1-10 outside the terminal entrance(the zones are marked by overhead hanging numbers). If they tell you that you must meet them in the taxi zone, which is an unpaved lot, you will have to walk to zone 10 then using the crosswalk in the road go across 2 lanes of traffic to the unpaved lot. If for any reason you use taxi on your return, ignore the signs inside the building directing exit to the left. Instead, exit right towards the parking garage. Go left upon exiting the building, walk alongside the terminal to the crosswalk at zone 10 which is near the glass entrance doors to the parking garage. This is a shorter walking route than exiting the terminal to the left.

Edited by meadowlander

4 hours ago, meadowlander said:

201 858 8800 is Archie's phone number. They are located in Bayonne NJ and also operate under the name Bayonne Yellow Cab with a different phone number. I have used Archie's with no issue, though only in Bayonne not from Newark.

If you use Archie's both ways ask if on the return from Cape Liberty their cab can meet you in car service zones 1-10 outside the terminal entrance(the zones are marked by overhead hanging numbers). If they tell you that you must meet them in the taxi zone, which is an unpaved lot, you will have to walk to zone 10 then using the crosswalk in the road go across 2 lanes of traffic to the unpaved lot. If for any reason you use taxi on your return, ignore the signs inside the building directing exit to the left. Instead, exit right towards the parking garage. Go left upon exiting the building, walk alongside the terminal to the crosswalk at zone 10 which is near the glass entrance doors to the parking garage. This is a shorter walking route than exiting the terminal to the left.

I'm a bit (very) confused with all this. If I use Uber where exactly do I meet them after exiting the ship ?

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

I'm a bit (very) confused with all this. If I use Uber where exactly do I meet them after exiting the ship ?

Exit the terminal to your left. Outside, go right. There will be a metal canopy with hanging numbers indicating zones 1 through 10. This is where you meet car services except for taxi. There are a few benches in this area.

Edited by meadowlander
  • Thanks 1

May 2022 I used the Royal transportation because everything seemed more difficult than my normal Galveston port. I was glad I used it. It was very simple. I stayed at the Crown Plaza and took their shuttle back to the airport that morning. I found the Royal staff at baggage claim, waited for the bus and boarded the bus. We made maybe two rounds around the terminal. The bus was not full but the driver said they made the run back and forth until the ship left the port. We made a second stop at I believe was a bus station (I think) and then on to the Port to board the ship. Royal used a large coach bus with comfy seats. I road the same bus after the cruise. The bus filled within 5-10 minutes. It was not a big deal. $60 round trip. I was glad I road the bus because I was in an unfamiliar place and I didn't have to worry about price gouging with Uber or Lyft. I was traveling solo so paying $50+ for an uber/lyft was a no for me.

19 hours ago, cynt said:

May 2022 I used the Royal transportation because everything seemed more difficult than my normal Galveston port. I was glad I used it. It was very simple. I stayed at the Crown Plaza and took their shuttle back to the airport that morning. I found the Royal staff at baggage claim, waited for the bus and boarded the bus. We made maybe two rounds around the terminal. The bus was not full but the driver said they made the run back and forth until the ship left the port. We made a second stop at I believe was a bus station (I think) and then on to the Port to board the ship. Royal used a large coach bus with comfy seats. I road the same bus after the cruise. The bus filled within 5-10 minutes. It was not a big deal. $60 round trip. I was glad I road the bus because I was in an unfamiliar place and I didn't have to worry about price gouging with Uber or Lyft. I was traveling solo so paying $50+ for an uber/lyft was a no for me.

There is no way Uber would’ve cost that much or taken more than 20 minutes. With Uber/Lyft you get the price before you book it.

On 4/28/2023 at 1:13 PM, njhorseman said:

Uber, Lyft, and car services such as Dial 7 and Carmel Limo are better ways to travel to and from Cape Liberty than the often dirty, dingy ancient vehicles used by the local taxi companies. 

Functionally, all of these services are the same--they provide door-to-door transportation on the demand of the person hiring the vehicle--even though the quality of the service may vary. Because they are functionally the same I would like to be able to use a single term for the entire collection of them all, instead of having to explicitly enumerate each (e.g., taxi, TNC vehicle, black car). A "for-hire vehicle," or "FHV," is an adequate term, but I suspect that many people do not know what FHV means (even the term TNC confuses some people). The term "taxi" is a nice surrogate for FHV, understandable and accurate in a generic sense, even though inaccurate specifically. I have generally used the expression "taxi or TNC vehicle" when I mean any type of FHV, but I don't particularly like that expression.