Best time to book excursions?

This question is for excursions booked through Royal Caribbean. Is there a best time frame to book? We usually pre-book before boarding if we know we want something specific, so it doesn't sell out. Curious if you get better "last minute" deals if you wait and book onboard. Also, it seems like more excursion choices get added as the date gets closer. Thoughts?

Edited by superduper123

I try and book black friday or when there is a good sale. I got 35% off onboard prices black friday and 30% off last sept excursion prices. It's easy to cancel and rebook for me if prices go lower. I use obc from ta and owning stock. Solo so just 1 ticket.

• Like 2

We booked 4 Alaska excursions on Black Friday for a July 23 sailings.  Those excursions in total would cost $560 more now. It’s almost always better to book early and then watch for a price decrease.  A call will give you the difference back if they go lower.

On 4/30/2023 at 8:12 AM, cruiselvr04 said:

We booked 4 Alaska excursions on Black Friday for a July 23 sailings.  Those excursions in total would cost $560 more now. It’s almost always better to book early and then watch for a price decrease.  A call will give you the difference back if they go lower.

With RCI you don't need to call...do it online through your cruise planner.

On 4/30/2023 at 7:39 AM, OCSC Mike said:

Above answer if you insist on RC excursions.

Strongly encourage you to look for independent excursions if/when you feel comfortable. Better prices and added variety.

Totally agree, ships excursion are in general a total ripoff, over crowded and overpriced. Try to book independent excursion with roll call. 

• Like 1

I always book ship excursions for reasons of safety and convenience.

My husband and I are very frequent cruisers on Royal, and I recommend booking tours as soon as as possible once they’re offered, especially during one of their ‘Cruise Favorites Specials’ sales, which pop up online for a few days every couple of weeks. The best sale time if the year is the Black Friday period.

I often book my tours many months in advance. If a better tour or price comes up I cancel and book the better option.  Bring retired, I have the time to watch prices diligently. The tour prices will continually go up, especially the more popular ones. They dynamically change prices based on demand; I’ve seen them double on many occasions. Also, these days, many tours sell out quickly, and the options are very few and very expensive once onboard.

Bottom line: if you are able to lay out the money to book early, do so, and then keep watch.