The good, bad and a comparison, Oasis April 16th, 2023

13 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

Bad food, bad service. I'm really concerned about next month. 

We were on her in January and had a blast. No problems with food or service.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

We are a group of 12 sailing sailing in early August. The OP identified in detail every concern I've had  about sailing on the Oasis.

Hopefully RCCI has someone dedicated to reading Cruise Critic reviews in the hopes that the cruise line makes every effort to get their act together as soon as possible to deliver the products thousands and thousands of Passengers paid for and deserve!!!!

How can you say RCI needs to get their act together when they have 26 ships that are cruising at full capacity most cruises. I have been on 25 RCI cruises post COVID and had a great time on every cruise. I would give more credence to the fact that most people still enjoy cruising on RCI as indicated by their ships sailing at full capacity and less credence to people who post online whining about their recent cruise. 

I agree with the OP on the room situation. These stateroom attendants appear to be working harder than before. Ours on our Harmony cruise (4/1-4/8) was nice but the guy never stopped and looked stressed to get it all done. I also think that if there is 4 in a room, they should make it a standard practice to open/close bed. 

• Like 2

We were on this sailing and had a great time!  Our attendent was fantastic, we had UDP and had very nice dinners every night.  Expecte a ship full of kids and it wasn't bad (given the issues at FLL, some cancelled).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when I'm on vacation, I don't sweat the small stuff!

• Like 2

We were booked on the Oasis for this September. Between the cosmetic issues and the food, and despite knowing all that I know about varying tastes, based on the OP review, I just switched my  Oasis cruise for another go on the Anthem for November 2023.  We sailed the Anthem this past February, and basically agree with the OP about the new MDR menu, although we never went hungry. We did; however, find the WJ to be very good on the Anthem, and hope to find the same on the next sailing.

Maybe I've jumped the gun, but the potential sub-par food combined with the older decor/upkeep issues is scary enough for me to switch ships. No bashing of my choice, please.  

#thedevilyouknow

Teddie

Edited by teddie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Well this isn't something I wanted to read before our Oasis cruise this Sunday, our first cruise since just before the shutdown. Here's to hoping the food in CK is better than the MDR. 

Hopefully, you will give us all your opinion of your sailing.

• Like 1

I was on the Oasis in December on a sold out cruise and had pretty much the opposite experience a long with two other cabins with us.  The only issue was MDR service was slow but that is a complaint across pretty much all ships on the mass market cruise lines.  

4 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

I was on the Oasis in December on a sold out cruise and had pretty much the opposite experience a long with two other cabins with us.  The only issue was MDR service was slow but that is a complaint across pretty much all ships on the mass market cruise lines.  

Cut backs are way more recent. Weeks old for some. Don't think you can compare six months ago. Drastic changes since then.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2023 at 3:22 PM, MysteryKnight said:

This is a helpful review. Currently trying to book a cruise and Oasis is one of the ships we have been considering. The other two ships we are considering are Odyssey and Wonder. The food and dining is definitely a very importance aspect to the ship I choose so hearing how poor it was on Oasis is definitely a red flag and something I want to avoid. 

How did you feel about the crowds in general? Did it feel like it was always packed while walking around the ship? Did you have to wait in long lines for the buffer and other dining options? The crowds is one of my concerns with going on a big ship like this. 

The ships are operating now at very high occupancy rates. You MUST be prepared for lines and crowds on an Oasis Class ship.

I was on the Oasis in September of last year and found this review very interesting. My cruise was before cut-backs in food selection and cabin service.

We had a good time but we were prepared for the crowds and went with the flow.

In September, high crowds and longer lines the first two days as new cruisers (especially with families) tried as many activities as possible. Lines for slides and water activities were much shorter on the last three days of a seven day cruise. Solarium was full by 9am on most days.

Windjammer was packed most of the time to the point that we looked for a table first. One of us would sit down to ensure no-one took the table while the other person obtained their food and switched-off.

MDR My Time was rarely available before 7:15pm even if you booked the previous night before you left.

MDR food was hit or miss.

On 5/1/2023 at 8:35 PM, teddie said:

We were booked on the Oasis for this September. Between the cosmetic issues and the food, and despite knowing all that I know about varying tastes, based on the OP review, I just switched my  Oasis cruise for another go on the Anthem for November 2023.  We sailed the Anthem this past February, and basically agree with the OP about the new MDR menu, although we never went hungry. We did; however, find the WJ to be very good on the Anthem, and hope to find the same on the next sailing.

Maybe I've jumped the gun, but the potential sub-par food combined with the older decor/upkeep issues is scary enough for me to switch ships. No bashing of my choice, please.  

#thedevilyouknow

Teddie

OP couldn’t comment in the new menu on oasis - they said they didn’t eat in the MDR.

OP - did you try to switch to early dining once onboard?

1 hour ago, Donsyb said:

OP couldn’t comment in the new menu on oasis - they said they didn’t eat in the MDR.

OP - did you try to switch to early dining once onboard?

I was more concerned over his WJ experience and food offerings overall.  I’m good with my switch to Anthem. Looking forward to it!
teddie 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 10:52 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

How can you say RCI needs to get their act together when they have 26 ships that are cruising at full capacity most cruises. I have been on 25 RCI cruises post COVID and had a great time on every cruise. I would give more credence to the fact that most people still enjoy cruising on RCI as indicated by their ships sailing at full capacity and less credence to people who post online whining about their recent cruise. 

Because they seemed to have turned their attention to grinding out every dollar they can from passengers while implementing as many cuts as they can.  The focus is on their debt service rather than passenger service.

Yep, despite this, the ships are full... for now.  But the big question will be how many will come back again when they walk off complaining about the deficiencies.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

Because they seemed to have turned their attention to grinding out every dollar they can from passengers while implementing as many cuts as they can.  The focus is on their debt service rather than passenger service.

Yep, despite this, the ships are full... for now.  But the big question will be how many will come back again when they walk off complaining about the deficiencies.

I don’t disagree with your comment, but I also understand how much debt RCI acquired when the industry shut down. Personally, I would rather deal with cutbacks than watch RCI, or any cruise line for that matter, go bankrupt. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PWP-001 said:

i just did a quick review on the Enchantment of the Seas this week.

If you were new to cruising, willing to spend $2250 ( 2 persons, taxes and port fees only) for an interior cabin for 7 days (the price that was available 120 days before the cruise), you would not notice any food differences and room service.

To your point, will that new cruiser repeat the cruise at that price point? I think yes because they have no point of comparison to think they should be getting higher service or better food.

I believe for the money I paid (less than half), I got a very good deal and would do it again.

I will not do it again if my base price is now anywhere near ($2000). I did not even see my room steward the first, second, or third day of the cruise which was a first since 1988. The food was adequate but nothing special. Lunch charcuterie was unrecognizable compared to even last September on the Oasis (and that was disappointing before the cut-backs). Almost all meats disappeared in the Windjammer unless they were chopped into cubes and placed in sauce. Again, adequate" but not something I want to pay double for.

Before I get lectured about "how there are cheaper fares out there", my wife and I still work and we do not like locking ourselves into a date 20 months before cruising.

Supply and demand, I get it. Unless something changes, my three cruises this year are being reduced to one next.

My opinion, my money, and my choice.

As stated by so many on this board, why keep cruising if it is so bad?

For me, it is coming down to price point and how much I enjoy the experience.

RCI is "raising their price points to be more competitive with other vacation experiences (per their CEO)". The downside for them will be when people start trying something new because there is nothing that sets their cruise experience above "other vacation experiences."

My opinion and thoughts........

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t disagree with your comment, but I also understand how much debt RCI acquired when the industry shut down. Personally, I would rather deal with cutbacks than watch RCI, or any cruise line for that matter, go bankrupt. 

I do not think RCI's CEO is worrying about Engineroom Snipe going bankrupt!

RCI cruisers who are shareholders might be concerned, RCI Cruisers who have high Crown and Anchor status might be concerned, but if they go out of business, there will be other choices ready to take my money. Capitalism and other cruise lines will create opportunities for it is all about the Benjamins.

🤣

8 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Not me. There debt shouldn't become my problem with cut backs. Go out of business. Someone else will buy the flet and Start over debt free.

Edited by BennyandBo
  • Like 1

We were on the Harmony for the April 15 sailing. It is a newer ship and the cabins were pretty and ship did not show any rust or wear and tear yet, that I noticed. We had early dining at 5:15 and had a table for two. We spent the second night at Chops, and missed the 5th night because my husband's excursion came back at 6:15.  The rest of the nights we ate in the dining room.  The food was always hot. I enjoyed the first night and the second formal night dinners the most.  I did not enjoy the Caribbean dinner much and would have liked a side dish besides rice or rice and beans. I think there was a lot of rice as a side dish all week, and also a lot of mashed potatoes. I don't think there was any other type of potato on the nights I was there.  I think they need to improve the sides, not that this will happen.

We ate at the Windjammer for lunch and at the Park Cafe.  We were happy with the Windjammer and also with the Park Cafe. We ate at Johnny Rockets on the night my husband's excursion was so late. My husband has always liked to eat here, but you can see changes here as well in the menu. 

I think the lack of variety in some of the food will eventually drive people away.  I might come back again, but I think I will get tired of the food and try a different vacation. Royal has not seen a downturn yet in filling their ships, so they may think they are doing great with their new menues,  but if others are not so pleased with the food as it is now, it may take more than one or two tries before we quit. 

On the plus side, the water show was great, the two ice skating shows were also very good, and the Broadway show was Grease.  We enjoyed it, but were scheduled for an afternoon showing and had to leave a little early to make it to Chops on time. The Columbus musical was well done. The Headliner was a musician and this was really good. The theater was full for this. The entertainment was much better than on the Allure a year ago. If we just didn't have to eat! 

19 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

To your point, will that new cruiser repeat the cruise at that price point? I think yes because they have no point of comparison to think they should be getting higher service or better food.

I believe you and I are on the same page with your post except for a nuance concerning the comment I quoted above.

With all the video and written reviews of individual ships, it's hard to believe that a first time cruiser doesn't have a pretty good idea of what they're getting into before they board.  If amenities such as twice a day cabin service and better food are deal-breakers, then RCI doesn't make the cut and they're sailing another line.  But if it was a close call and RCI won out on price, depending upon satisfaction, they next cruise may be on the other line that came in second.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KansasK said:

I think the lack of variety in some of the food will eventually drive people away.  I might come back again, but I think I will get tired of the food and try a different vacation. Royal has not seen a downturn yet in filling their ships, so they may think they are doing great with their new menues,  but if others are not so pleased with the food as it is now, it may take more than one or two tries before we quit. 

The standard cheerleader defense is high occupancy rates.  "RCI has high occupancy rates so things must be good." I have two more reserved cruises this year and one next year in November. I am holding off on reserving any spring cruises next year until I see how the remaining cruises this year perform. Since RCI price points are rising, it becomes easier to look at other options.

Like so many businesses, a drop in service takes time to manifest itself to the bottom line. If I find that my Auto shop is charging me "Class A Mechanic prices" but putting a rookie on my car that strips out my wheel lug studs, I will give them one or two more tries before moving on to another shop. I just do not keep going back if the prices go up and the quality of service goes down. The past history of a business does not always predict the future. By the time anyone finally notices it, the horse has gotten out of the barn and jumped the fence in the pasture.

On 4/30/2023 at 7:54 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we had great service and good MDR food (you can check out my review in the signature). WJ, Sorrento's Pizza, Solarium buffet (not bistro) and Park Cafe definitely suffered from recent cut backs.

Same...we were on in February and our service and food were both phenomenal. We also thought for the age of the ship, it looked fine. Our room didn't look worn or dirty at all, in fact the bathroom looked fairly new, so I wonder if some are just more updated. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Bankruptcy isn't out of the question.  

Quarterly results were published yesterday for the period ending March 31, 2023.  While compared to last year revenues appear to have almost tripled and the operation turned a profit, it wasn't enough to service debt.  Furthermore, a comparison to last year's first quarter is non-equivalent given the fleet's reduced capacity, not returning to full operations until mid-year 2022.

I haven't yet read the commentary and notes to the financials:  maybe there's a glimmer of light.

But from what I had recently reviewed in their annual report from February 2023, I think I understand that they haven't secured 100% of the financing needed for  delivery of Icon.  

So Pinnacles (aka Barnacles) do your part, mail in your gold name plates so they can melt then down and strike a good deal with Cash for Gold.