Oasis. Worried about BIG ship and wait times to leave ship at ports.

I've cruised twice -- Enchantment and Vision.  Loved these ships, especially Vision since we were in Europe.  Thinking about Mediterranean 2024 on Oasis. Worried about getting off the ship in a timely manner at ports, and long waits.  

If you've been on this class of ship can you advise?  Thanks so much.

1 minute ago, LoriLoriLori said:

I've cruised twice -- Enchantment and Vision.  Loved these ships, especially Vision since we were in Europe.  Thinking about Mediterranean 2024 on Oasis. Worried about getting off the ship in a timely manner at ports, and long waits.  

If you've been on this class of ship can you advise?  Thanks so much.

Never had an issue

• Like 1

from what i seen on various youtube videos, in the port of call they used at least 3 or more more gangways . this helps with getting on/off the ship quickly

Edited by shof515

15 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

While the most guests are directed to the escalator, staff will direct those with wheelchairs, scooters, strollers, etc to gangway via elevators

Does that still go pretty smoothly or is there a long wait for elevators?

I've never had much of a wait getting off of an Oasis-class ship.  If you really want to speed your way off of the ship, select self-assist disembarkation (where you wheel/carry your own luggage off instead of putting it out the night before) and hop off as soon as they allow it.  It'll be a straight shot off of the ship with no waiting, and you won't do the luggage hunt in the terminal.  Bonus: no big lines for taxis either.

I always do self-assist since at most I'll have one suitcase and a garment bag.  Usually just the suitcase.

Edited by mk-ultra

quick.   Also, while on the ship, the only times it feels crowded is at the pools and the windjammer.  Other places are MUCH less crowded due to so many choices of things to do and places to see while onboard.

10 minutes ago, Moltar said:

I would never cruise an Oasis in Europe unless you're going for the ship not the ports. Europe is packed in the summer already let alone going in on an Oasis class.

Oasis class ships typically sail at or near capacity regardless of location (barring the Covid restriction era).  So, I’m not really sure how this applies.   Now I will say that adherence to things most North Americans view as common courtesy may very well be missing.  But that is a different issue. 

1 hour ago, topnole said:

Oasis class ships typically sail at or near capacity regardless of location (barring the Covid restriction era).  So, I’m not really sure how this applies.   Now I will say that adherence to things most North Americans view as common courtesy may very well be missing.  But that is a different issue. 

I'll re-state: Europe is packed with tourists in the summer, I would never cruise an Oasis class in Europe unless I wasn't really interested in the ports just the Oasis class ship. Madhouse of a ship with a madhouse hotspot of tourists doesn't sound fun to me. Im not a fan of touring in groups of 100 people or more, etc, etc.....

Edited by Moltar

On 4/30/2023 at 1:35 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Never had an issue

On 4/30/2023 at 1:41 PM, Tlbecker1 said:

We have also not had an issue of getting off on the larger ships.  😀

X3.  We were on Oasis last year and have been on Allure before (which I think is the same class ship).  We did not experience any issues at ports. Even early self disembarkation was pretty much a walk-off with no delays.  Kind of surprising how well they seem to be able to manage this aspect of the cruise. 

On board of course is a different matter.  There are a lot of people.  I wouldn't necessarily call it a big problem. We were usually able to find a place to sit.   More of a constantly "buzzing" atmosphere.

55 minutes ago, Moltar said:

I'll re-state: Europe is packed with tourists in the summer, I would never cruise an Oasis class in Europe unless I wasn't really interested in the ports just the Oasis class ship. Madhouse of a ship with a madhouse hotspot of tourists doesn't sound fun to me. Im not a fan of touring in groups of 100 people or more, etc, etc.....

I’ll agree on the mad house in Europe.   But it does depend a bit what month and where in Europe.