When can I drop off my carryon?

geovet

38 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Thanks I will look in our booking if not there notify TA to check.

We always get our cabin cards when we check in at the port not from cabin steward or did I misread the prior post? Only Princess as they have a medallion we get in the mail, just scans at port and on you go. We sail Aug. 31 on the Venezia, should be fun even though in the summer.

Carnival used to hand the cards out at check in.  Not anymore.  They are put out by your door.  If there are little mailboxes they put them there, or tuck them in the light/room number by your door.  Somewhere around your door.  That is how you know your room is officially ready!  When keys are there, then you can go in and stay.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I don't know about Carnival, but I know on Royal that you can't drop off your carry-on until all the rooms are fully open at 1PM.  You must carry it with you.

On Carnival, if you have FTTF, Diamond/Platinum or Suite you can drop you luggage and leave right away (read above, this was all discussed 😁)

3 minutes ago, wemjam said:

On Carnival, if you have FTTF, Diamond/Platinum or Suite you can drop you luggage and leave right away (read above, this was all discussed 😁)

I read that if the key cards are in the slot, you can stay, is this true? 

1 minute ago, Purvis1231 said:

I read that if the key cards are in the slot, you can stay, is this true? 

Yes, if your key cards at at your door, they are done and you can stay.  They don't put them out until they are done.  However, I would not get too excited... it usually takes them right up to 1-1:30 to get the general rooms done.  FTTF/Diamond/Suites/Platinum rooms usually are done a bit sooner.

Edited by wemjam

9 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

Thanks, since boughtFTTF for my two upcoming cruises.

You will be able to select your boarding time 2 days before general rooms (16 days before cruising you will can select boarding and then also do all your check in stuff) - I am pretty sure this perk is included   This means if you choose you can get an early boarding time and be in the early boarding groups (a few others like suites, weddings, Diamond, Platinum have first crack though). 

You will have access to get on and drop your luggage in your room right away and then leave while they finish prepping rooms.  Once your room is ready your keys (sail and sign cards) will be there (usually it is before 1:30).  As I said before we drop our bags, eat lunch, and go back and check.. 90% or better of the time they are done by then.  If not we kill a little time and go back and check around 1pm or so.

Plus all the other little perks like priority desk, tendering, debarkation, etc.

Edited by wemjam

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

Thanks I will look in our booking if not there notify TA to check.

We always get our cabin cards when we check in at the port not from cabin steward or did I misread the prior post? Only Princess as they have a medallion we get in the mail, just scans at port and on you go. We sail Aug. 31 on the Venezia, should be fun even though in the summer.

On Carnival you don’t get your card til you get to your cabin.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

On Carnival you don’t get your card til you get to your cabin.

So when you get to the port just go through security and walk on? We would have boarding passes I assume and are your cards active left outside your cabin?

Love this site, would never know this otherwise thanks.

17 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

So when you get to the port just go through security and walk on? We would have boarding passes I assume and are your cards active left outside your cabin?

Love this site, would never know this otherwise thanks.

Yes, you should print your boarding passes when you do all your check on line a couple weeks before sailing.  It will note you are priority and have your room number on it.

You will show this to the agents outside and inside.  Usually what happens is, you arrive at your arrival window time and go to the outside line that says "for On Time Arrivals" if you have FTTF then you will have access to the priority line.  As you enter the building show them your boarding pass (make sure they can see the priority stamp on it) and they will direct you where to go.  You will see a gate agent there right inside the port doors who will do your check in, stamp your paperwork etc.  Then you will go through security.  Used to be you went through security and then got in line to do your check in with an agent, but in the last year we have sailed, at our ports it is done before security.  It may be either way depending on port I guess.

You go to the waiting area and wait.  Most times there is a designated area for FTTF people as well as other priority members.  Sometimes not, so just watch for signs - and there will be agents there to direct and help .  I have seen it both ways in the same port even (sometimes designated area sometimes not), so just depends.  

They will start boarding the ship by zones (which is listed on your boarding pass).  When your zone is called you get on (their may be an agent that checks your boarding pass one more time as you walk past getting on).

Once onboard if you are Suites/Diamond/Platinum/FTTF you may go directly to your room and drop your bags and leave.  The main doors to your hallways will most certainly be closed, just open them and go in.  I always find my steward (if they don't see me coming down the hall), and let them know I am just dropping  my bags in the closet of my room "XXXX".  Usually they are in one of the rooms close by cleaning.

Then we head off to lunch.  After lunch we go back and check to see if our keys are available yet, if not we will keep busy with a drink and lounge somewhere and check back a little while later.

NOTE:  If you have any kind of drink package (cheers or bottomless bubbles) keep your boarding pass handy.  You will use this to get drinks until you get your sail and sign card.

No one checks if people walking to their room to put their bags away are Diamond, Platinum, or FTTF. Frankly anyone can walk to their room and put their bags away without being challenged. Carnival really needs to step up their enforcement here, but they have always been the line of making rules they have no intention of enforcing. Sadly, people get away with a lot on a Carnival ship if they are willing to just ignore rules, but I catch one little, tiny fish that I did not even keep from my balcony and I am banned for life. Go figure. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

Yes, you should print your boarding passes when you do all your check on line a couple weeks before sailing.  It will note you are priority and have your room number on it.

You will show this to the agents outside and inside.  Usually what happens is, you arrive at your arrival window time and go to the outside line that says "for On Time Arrivals" if you have FTTF then you will have access to the priority line.  As you enter the building show them your boarding pass (make sure they can see the priority stamp on it) and they will direct you where to go.  You will see a gate agent there right inside the port doors who will do your check in, stamp your paperwork etc.  Then you will go through security.  Used to be you went through security and then got in line to do your check in with an agent, but in the last year we have sailed, at our ports it is done before security.  It may be either way depending on port I guess.

You go to the waiting area and wait.  Most times there is a designated area for FTTF people as well as other priority members.  Sometimes not, so just watch for signs - and there will be agents there to direct and help .  I have seen it both ways in the same port even (sometimes designated area sometimes not), so just depends.  

They will start boarding the ship by zones (which is listed on your boarding pass).  When your zone is called you get on (their may be an agent that checks your boarding pass one more time as you walk past getting on).

Once onboard if you are Suites/Diamond/Platinum/FTTF you may go directly to your room and drop your bags and leave.  The main doors to your hallways will most certainly be closed, just open them and go in.  I always find my steward (if they don't see me coming down the hall), and let them know I am just dropping  my bags in the closet of my room "XXXX".  Usually they are in one of the rooms close by cleaning.

Then we head off to lunch.  After lunch we go back and check to see if our keys are available yet, if not we will keep busy with a drink and lounge somewhere and check back a little while later.

NOTE:  If you have any kind of drink package (cheers or bottomless bubbles) keep your boarding pass handy.  You will use this to get drinks until you get your sail and sign card.

I don't plan on a package, how would hubby get soda? Or he could just drink lemonade if available I guess.

We plan on showing up well after lunch as most people like early boarding. If no FTTF and a suite doesn't open up that is our plan, fingers crossed no two hour wait in line can't stand that long especially in the heat.

34 minutes ago, asalligo said:

No one checks if people walking to their room to put their bags away are Diamond, Platinum, or FTTF. Frankly anyone can walk to their room and put their bags away without being challenged. Carnival really needs to step up their enforcement here, but they have always been the line of making rules they have no intention of enforcing. Sadly, people get away with a lot on a Carnival ship if they are willing to just ignore rules, but I catch one little, tiny fish that I did not even keep from my balcony and I am banned for life. Go figure. 

Two points.

1st:  The fish issues is because it is not just Carnival's rules.  The country/port they are in can enforce HUGE penalties for such actions.  If Carnival had not put on a "show" of force then they would have appeared complicit.

2nd:  I HAVE been stopped by workers in the hall advising me my room is not ready yet, once I told them I was Diamond and was just dropping my bags they let me go.  So again, yes you can possible break the rules and get away with it, but you also might not.  There is a reason they only allow it as perk. IF everyone started doing it they would have so many people in the way they would never get the rooms cleaned.  Also, inevitably, then you are also going to get those that decide "well I'll just stay here (quote unquote "out of the way") and start unpacking while they finish cleaning.

Just because someone can do something doesn't make it right.

2nd.

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

I don't plan on a package, how would hubby get soda? Or he could just drink lemonade if available I guess.

We plan on showing up well after lunch as most people like early boarding. If no FTTF and a suite doesn't open up that is our plan, fingers crossed no two hour wait in line can't stand that long especially in the heat.

If you show up after lunch.. you should have NO issues, most of the ship is going to be on board by then.

Just go to a bar and order what you want, and they will swipe your sail and sign card for purchase (18% gratuity is automatically added).  If you are not big pop drinkers, no need for bottomless bubbles.  You can order a soda at restaurants with your meals and same thing, they will write down your sail and sign number on your card.  This applies to any drinks you purchase (alcoholic or not).   

So, again your sail and sign is used for all purchases on the ship.  In the spa, in the stores, to buy beverages, etc.   So keep it with you.  For us ladies, a lanyard works nice for this and they are pre-punched with a hole. 😁

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

You can use your boarding pass to purchase sodas and other drinks until you get your sign and sail cards. 

8 minutes ago, wemjam said:

ere is a reason they only allow it as perk. IF everyone started doing it they would have so many people in the way they would never get the rooms cleaned.  Also, inevitably, then you are also going to get those that decide "well I'll just stay here (quote unquote "out of the way") and start unpacking while they finish cleaning.

Just because someone can do something doesn't make it right.

2nd.

Exactly. Dropping off your luggage when you don't have FTTF (or  Diamond or Platinum status ) isn't any different than sneaking into a movie theater without buying a ticket. You are taking something you didn't pay for. 

• Like 4

Thank you everybody, sounds simple. Will receive car from steward once cabin is ready after 1:30 most times. If no FTTF or suite will arrive later in the day so maybe cabin will be all set by then 😁. Now that I have read mini drive in cabin will order cans of soda for hubby. Just 120 day until we sail out of New York.

8 hours ago, asalligo said:

There would be fewer violators if you didn't give them step by step instructions.

• Like 1

I saw one post on FB. Somebody was questioning fttf, she said you don't need it, she just slips the cabin attendant 20 bucks. I really wish they would get harsher on this. Maybe some of these people will be knocked down a couple notches for this nonsense.

49 minutes ago, sammee said:

I saw one post on FB. Somebody was questioning fttf, she said you don't need it, she just slips the cabin attendant 20 bucks. I really wish they would get harsher on this. Maybe some of these people will be knocked down a couple notches for this nonsense.

So, there is way more to FTTF then just being able to drop you luggage.  So spending $20 for just that is a bit crazy.  I also find it hard to believe, possible, but hard.  These guys could loose their livelihood over taking bribes, which is what that his.

Edited by wemjam

2 minutes ago, wemjam said:

So, there is way more to FTTF then just being able to drop you luggage.  So spending $20 for just that is a bit crazy.  I also find it hard to believe, possible, but hard.  These guys could loose their livelihood over taking bribes, which is what that his.

I had to read it twice myself. She did not mention any of the other perks of fttf, just that it wasn't worth it and her remedy to the cabin access. This was in response to someone asking when fttf is available for her cruise. You're putting the employees job at risk. He's in a darn if you do, darn if you don't. If he sends her on her way, you know what life will be with the room. If he takes it, he runs the risk of job punishment. What happens if her things were taken. 

21 hours ago, wemjam said:

You will be able to select your boarding time 2 days before general rooms (16 days before cruising you will can select boarding and then also do all your check in stuff) - I am pretty sure this perk is included   This means if you choose you can get an early boarding time and be in the early boarding groups (a few others like suites, weddings, Diamond, Platinum have first crack though). 

You will have access to get on and drop your luggage in your room right away and then leave while they finish prepping rooms.  Once your room is ready your keys (sail and sign cards) will be there (usually it is before 1:30).  As I said before we drop our bags, eat lunch, and go back and check.. 90% or better of the time they are done by then.  If not we kill a little time and go back and check around 1pm or so.

Plus all the other little perks like priority desk, tendering, debarkation, etc.

I had Faster to Fun  for an interior and a Suite last month on Mardis Gras.  Faster to Fun does not get to pick a arrival appointment 2 days early.  My understanding is they can arrive at any time so it is a moot point. Personally I would not do Faster to Fun again unless we had a tender port. It was a lot of money for very little benefit.  It was a better value precovid when the cabins were actually ready when you board.  Priorty luggage was a joke and our friends without any prrority boarded 10-15 min after us?  

6 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Thank you everybody, sounds simple. Will receive car from steward once cabin is ready after 1:30 most times. 

Just to be clear -  your card will be in an envelope tucked behind the message holder next to your door.  The steward puts it there when your room is ready.  He will not be walking around with your card waiting for you to get down to the floor.

10 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Just to be clear -  your card will be in an envelope tucked behind the message holder next to your door.  The steward puts it there when your room is ready.  He will not be walking around with your card waiting for you to get down to the floor.

Thanks new Process for us appreciate everyone helping me out.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 8:14 PM, wemjam said:

Carnival used to hand the cards out at check in.  Not anymore.  They are put out by your door.  If there are little mailboxes they put them there, or tuck them in the light/room number by your door.  Somewhere around your door.  That is how you know your room is officially ready!  When keys are there, then you can go in and stay.

Not until after 1:30 pm even when the card is there and door is shut.   

9 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Not until after 1:30 pm even when the card is there and door is shut.   

Disagree.  If the room door is shut and your keys are there they are done and you can have your room.  I had a room steward specifically tell me that.  

They don't put the keys out until they are done.

Edited by wemjam