Encore penthouse

bitob

We are on our 4 th seabourn cruise. We never upgrade because it doesn’t get us a butler ( which we love having) but on this cruise we decided to book a ph for the space. The only benefit is streaming Wi-Fi and 4 connections 

we are used to larger suites on the

other lines we sail — regent and silversea now. Spacious and tons of storage. Plus butler

this is one of the silliest designed cabins I have ever been in. No storage in the bathroom. Three small glass shelves on side of right sink. Closet storage consists of shelves that are 4 inches deep. You can’t put folded clothes on them. The bathtub is so narrow that anyone 5 pounds overweight has no chance of using it. Thankfully I am slim enough to use it. 

it won’t affect our cruise in the least but I doubt I would book the ph again if I sail sb again. Standard suites are adequate and better designed. I’d be better off paying for streaming Wi-Fi if I wanted it. Lol

Agree!  Encore penthouse suite on 11.  Ridiculous multiple narrow shelves adjacent to the walk in closet.  I have no idea what these shelves were intended to hold as they had no useful purpose for us.  And the shoe shelves always jammed with my shoes.  We don't use a tub, so that is where we storeed our toiletry items.  Lastly, did you ever figure out what to put in those cabinets behind the dining table?  We liked the location for its privacy and would probably book it again.  But the designer needs to spend a week in the penthouse!

33 minutes ago, crickette said:

Agree!  Encore penthouse suite on 11.  Ridiculous multiple narrow shelves adjacent to the walk in closet.  I have no idea what these shelves were intended to hold as they had no useful purpose for us.  And the shoe shelves always jammed with my shoes.  We don't use a tub, so that is where we storeed our toiletry items.  Lastly, did you ever figure out what to put in those cabinets behind the dining table?  We liked the location for its privacy and would probably book it again.  But the designer needs to spend a week in the penthouse!

My husband put papers in those cabinets 

glad I’m not the only one who sees the issues with the ph

We have never felt a need for a larger suite than the Veranda.  We don't spend all that much time in our suite --perhaps a  short afternoon  siesta and then sleeping at night.  The rest of the time, we are out and about--either onshore or around the ship.  I do understand that everyone is different in how they enjoy the ship.  I have noticed that the penthouse design does not seem to be a significant step up from the veranda.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

It is larger but not as large as the suites I might book on other lines. But the design is bizarre. That was my point. For the up charge I don’t think it’s worth it 

for us, size matters. I am well aware that for many it does not. We started cruising in cabins without verandahs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bitob said:

It is larger but not as large as the suites I might book on other lines. But the design is bizarre. That was my point. For the up charge I don’t think it’s worth it 

for us, size matters. I am well aware that for many it does not. We started cruising in cabins without verandahs. 

On the recent O crossing, one of the couple we traveled with were in a PH.  As they spent a bit of time in the suite and each have different sleeping patterns, it was perfect for them.  We had a few get together in their suite and I also thought the design was bizarre.  I know suite size and butlers are important to you so I can understand the price wasn’t worth it.  Our friends missed having a butler yet guest services handled the majority of their request very well.

personally, I don’t feel the PH is worth the large up charge as the standard suite works fine for us on SB.   While we normally don’t spend lots of time in the suite, we did have to isolate for the later part of our O cruise last summer.  It was a true test of togetherness and sanity! 😁😁

hope you’re having a nice cruise,

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

Spot on nancy

standard suite will do next time

we do miss not having a butler but we’ve been on sb before so we knew we would adjust. Guest services very responsive. 

all else is fine. Service, food, fun trivia, great itinerary 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bitob said:

Spot on nancy

standard suite will do next time

we do miss not having a butler but we’ve been on sb before so we knew we would adjust. Guest services very responsive. 

all else is fine. Service, food, fun trivia, great itinerary 

I am curious as to what you miss when you don't have a butler?  Our next cruise is on Scenic Eclipse (thanks to Seabourn bumping us from the Venture) and it will be our first experience of having a butler.

Everyone uses a butler differently. Our butler gets to know us well. He knows what snacks and drinks we like. He deals with laundry and other special services. If there are issues in cabin he deals with them. It all happens instantaneously 

on seabourn we get issues deal with twice a day when stateroom attendants do service 

Small example. I’m an over packer. I needed more hangers. I called guest services and was told the stateroom attendant would bring at evening turndown service. So my clothes were thrown over a chair for the day.  A butler would have brought those hangers in 5 minutes 

room service is also different. You are in the queue. Butler serves you at a time you choose

many more examples 

2 hours ago, bitob said:

Everyone uses a butler differently. Our butler gets to know us well. He knows what snacks and drinks we like. He deals with laundry and other special services. If there are issues in cabin he deals with them. It all happens instantaneously 

on seabourn we get issues deal with twice a day when stateroom attendants do service 

Small example. I’m an over packer. I needed more hangers. I called guest services and was told the stateroom attendant would bring at evening turndown service. So my clothes were thrown over a chair for the day.  A butler would have brought those hangers in 5 minutes 

room service is also different. You are in the queue. Butler serves you at a time you choose

many more examples 

Thank you bitob, that helps.  You say the butler gets to know you well, is that from an initial questionnaire or is he always poking his head around the corner?  I hope it is the former.  I'll let you know how we find the experience

1 hour ago, Laylam said:

Thank you bitob, that helps.  You say the butler gets to know you well, is that from an initial questionnaire or is he always poking his head around the corner?  I hope it is the former.  I'll let you know how we find the experience

We chat. No questionnaires. We are open and friendly and encourage our butler to be the same. 

Butlers are great. They get things done fast. And you get their undivided attention.

But if you like queuing at Seabourn Square while others ahead of you chat with the one or 2 staff on dutyabout their life experiences/last cruise/cat sitter without a care for the queue that's building up, or try to get their iPads linked to the Source, or squabble about tour refunds etc - all while they are typing away about your query and then get around to dealing with the simple ones - - you know the picture - so you get frustrated and return at a "quieter time" when more staff may be available, then Seabourn Square is ok.

Is this luxury? Depends on you and how you view it. 

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, markham said:

Butlers are great. They get things done fast. And you get their undivided attention.

But if you like queuing at Seabourn Square while others ahead of you chat with the one or 2 staff on dutyabout their life experiences/last cruise/cat sitter without a care for the queue that's building up, or try to get their iPads linked to the Source, or squabble about tour refunds etc - all while they are typing away about your query and then get around to dealing with the simple ones - - you know the picture - so you get frustrated and return at a "quieter time" when more staff may be available, then Seabourn Square is ok.

Is this luxury? Depends on you and how you view it. 

Happy and healthy sailing!

So true.  We’ve already experienced what you describe in seabourn square.

With a butler no queuing. Everything gets immediate attention. The absence of butlers the one aspect of seabourn we do not like  

• Like 1

This really is a matter of personal taste- to each his or her own.  We have not found we have had to line up for much on Seabourn, so that is not an issue for us.  The few times we have sailed other lines and had a butler we didn't rally know what to do with him.  Once, on Silversea, he asked us early on what we needed, and we didn't really need anything.  Later in the cruise, when we actually needed him once or twice, I can't remember what for, he was nowhere to be found and did not respond to messages, at least not timely.  I know some people really make use of a butler and miss having one on Seabourn, but I for one am fine without one.  We have had bigger issues on Silversea than lining up, so for now, Seabourn is our first choice.

4 hours ago, bitob said:

Everything gets immediate attention.

Well, it should be noted that each butler has multiple suites to service. So if they are tied up handling something for another passenger in their suite or somewhere else on the ship, they can't simultaneously handle something for you. Also, your butler is off duty during parts of the day, so not always instantly available. (Same with suite attendants on Seabourn.) There are some things you can handle in Seabourn Square which a butler doesn't handle (such as reversing prepaid excursion charges to use OBC), or which are better handled by someone in front of a computer screen. (This is not an anti-butler comment.)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Well, it should be noted that each butler has multiple suites to service. So if they are tied up handling something for another passenger in their suite or somewhere else on the ship, they can't simultaneously handle something for you. Also, your butler is off duty during parts of the day, so not always instantly available. (Same with suite attendants on Seabourn.) There are some things you can handle in Seabourn Square which a butler doesn't handle (such as reversing prepaid excursion charges to use OBC), or which are better handled by someone in front of a computer screen. (This is not an anti-butler comment.)

There is always a relief butler on duty. Someone is always available 

A good butler makes every guest feel like they are their only passenger to service. They know how to multi task

• Like 2

On 5/1/2023 at 2:30 PM, bitob said:

We are on our 4 th seabourn cruise. We never upgrade because it doesn’t get us a butler ( which we love having) but on this cruise we decided to book a ph for the space. The only benefit is streaming Wi-Fi and 4 connections 

we are used to larger suites on the

other lines we sail — regent and silversea now. Spacious and tons of storage. Plus butler

this is one of the silliest designed cabins I have ever been in. No storage in the bathroom. Three small glass shelves on side of right sink. Closet storage consists of shelves that are 4 inches deep. You can’t put folded clothes on them. The bathtub is so narrow that anyone 5 pounds overweight has no chance of using it. Thankfully I am slim enough to use it. 

it won’t affect our cruise in the least but I doubt I would book the ph again if I sail sb again. Standard suites are adequate and better designed. I’d be better off paying for streaming Wi-Fi if I wanted it. Lol

I like 642 and that's where I camp.

I will add my 2 stateroom attendants are fantastic. I’ve had issues with this before on seabourn

the food and entertainment has been fabulous. Much better than it ever was imo 

we picked this cruise for the itinerary: small islands in Greece and Turkey. No disappointments. Loving the cruise 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bitob said:

I will add my 2 stateroom attendants are fantastic. I’ve had issues with this before on seabourn

we picked this cruise for the itinerary: small islands in Greece and Turkey. No disappointments. Loving the cruise 

I joined the Encore yesterday for 14 days. My 24th cruise but first on Seabourn I must say I am very impressed with everything so far and it is my 70th birthday today and the gifts in my cabin and decorations are fantastic. BTW I am in 935 two cabins away from the pool apart from going to and from the tender today I haven’t had to move more than about 100 feet 😁

Edited by Darspurs
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Darspurs said:

I joined the Encore yesterday for 14 days. My 24th cruise but first on Seabourn I must say I am very impressed with everything so far and it is my 70th birthday today and the gifts in my cabin and decorations are fantastic. BTW I am in 935 two cabins away from the pool apart from going to and from the tender today I haven’t had to move more than about 100 feet 😁

Don’t miss the show tonight. 

happy birthday 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bitob said:

I'm in Crete at the moment are you coming here?

8 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

I like 642 and that's where I camp.

Good choice, we were also mid-ship on Ovation.  No noise, very minimal ship movement, and no need to tie down deck furniture due to wind.

• Like 1