7 day cruise packing list with carry-on luggage only?

Help needed!!!
I am intending travelling with just a roller carry-on and my handy tote bag for my next cruise (can't handle normal size suitcase on my own). It's actually for almost 3 weeks, but I'm thinking if I pack for one week, then I'll just repeat twice more. I don't care if anyone notices I've worn something before.

I've seen numerous YouTube videos, but most of them seem to have much bigger carry-on luggage. I will be using a bag which conforms to European and international sizes and weight. Many of the videos I have seen are aimed at US travellers who seem to be allowed to bring much bigger (unweighed) bags on board.

So, suggestions please.

Criteria: Female, late 70's, haven't worn shorts for about 40 years, probably won't go in the pool, definitely  won't go in a hot-tub/spa.

Prefer trousers to skirts.

Weather should be fairly average, not too hot or cold, but I will have a warm cardigan and pashmina for the flight, so can layer up if I need to. 

Any suggestions VERY gratefully received.

Thank you   

🐦

• Like 2

I know people on this forum say they do this all the time.  They even include lists a mile long of what they put into a carryon.  I don't believe them!  But your premise is correct ... nobody notices nor cares what you're wearing as long as you look 'presentable'.  So first decide how many black shoes you need.  Pack some black pants, two tank tops, two S/S and one L/S shirts to wear on their own or as 'jackets', a top, scarf and pretty earrings for dinner, two polo shirts, a nightgown/robe/lounger.  Make sure all the tops and bottoms are interchangeable and hand-washable.  You can always buy some shirts during the trip if you like.  I have a very lightweight travel vest that's handy to carry heavier things on the plane, also good for port stops.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, sailing canary said:

It's actually for almost 3 weeks, but I'm thinking if I pack for one week, then I'll just repeat twice more. I don't care if anyone notices I've worn something before.

Three things to make this work: 

- Pack 2-3 shirts for every pair of pants.  Pants can easily be worn a couple times.  

- Shirts are easy to wash in the sink, but pants are a bit much -- remember you can send them out to the ship's laundry.  

- Shoes are your biggest space hogs, so plan carefully:  maybe a pair of tennis shoes + a pair of walking sandals.  Since you're planning to wear pants all the time, these will be fine for the dining room.  

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

I know people on this forum say they do this all the time.  They even include lists a mile long of what they put into a carryon.  I don't believe them! 

Why wouldn't you believe this?  I'm a great packer and have no problem doing it.  

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

... You can always buy some shirts during the trip if you like ...

Eh, then you've gotta get them back home.  

• Like 4

This is very doable. We’ve never cruised in Europe (or anywhere) with any more than a 21” roller and a backpack or tote. I would suggest doing some practice packing a couple weeks beforehand so you can figure out exactly what fits in your case and giving yourself time to think it through. Try for pieces that serve more than one purpose — black pants that can be worn for dinner and sightseeing. We also bring some laundry detergent sheets so we can do laundry on the ship or wash things out in the sink if needed. Liquids are the trickiest so we think this through (ie. We bring sunscreen sticks instead of lotion.) It’s so nice not to have so much stuff to drag around and keep track of! Have a great time!

• Like 4

Aside from WHAT you'll pack, consider HOW you'll pack.  That is, fold or roll things nicely/compactly so that you can fit a lot into a small suitcase.  An added benefit of "packing tight" is that things can't move around /don't get wrinkled.  You Tube is chock-full of videos about how to pack well.  

• Like 2

Check out the FaceBook group Travel Fashion Girl for advice on COO (Carry On Only) travel.  The group has a wide age range.  I traveled for 11 days in Amsterdam and Paris (land trip) in COO and it totally worked!  Like Mum2Mercury said, shoes are a big space user, so if you are flying to your destination, wear your heaviest clothes on the plane like sneakers if you plan to bring them and a jacket or vest so you have more room in your COO.  I rolled all my clothes.  Best of luck and have a wonderful cruise and trip!

• Like 3

I also suggest checking out TRAVEL FASHION GIRL on Facebook! She has some great tips/suggestions. As others here have said, HOW you pack can be as important as WHAT you pack. 

Shoes take up a lot of room. Wear your heaviest/biggest shoes. I usually wear my sneakers (I like to work out on the ship) and pack two shoes: one pair of dressy gold wedge sandals that go with everything, and pair of pretty/comfy walking sandals. Maybe a pair of water shoes but they take little room.

I love wearing loose flowy dresses on a cruise. Cool and comfortable. But if you only want to wear slacks/pants, bring 2-3 at most. Take more tops that you can mix and match. 

Wear your heaviest wrap/sweater/jacket for the plane. I've actually worn a jacket, and tied a pretty pashmina/wrap around my neck so that I'm not packing either. I choose my jacket/wrap colors carefully so they go with all my clothing. 

My toiletries can all go in my 3-1-1 bag easily. My moisturizer, face wash, night cream are all decanted into small containers/bottles. Last easily for two weeks unless you really lather it on! I use very sparingly and it's fine. I buy sunscreen when I get to the port before boarding. I bring bar shampoo/conditioner (lots out there to choose from). Bar soap. The rest of any makeup (lipstick, powder foundation, blush, eyeliner) can go in a separate small bag since it is not liquid. It is very doable!!

I have gone on 4 cruises (the longest only 8 nights) with a 21" carry on and a personal backpack (which I use to pack toiletries, makeup, and a few clothes).  I could have gone two weeks with the way I packed and what I packed. There are also laundry "sheets" that you can wash a few things in the sink and hang in a portable clothes line. It works well. 

I do wish I could find more reversible dresses and/or tops! Those really give you more bang for the buck. Chico's had some in the past, White House Black Market sometimes has a few. Hard to find, for some reason! 

Also, I don't know what kind of carry on you have, but mine is super lightweight. My 21" rolling suitcase only weighs 5.1 lbs. 

Good luck - you can do it!! I can't tell you how nice it is not to worry about a checked bag arriving or having to spend time checking in a bag. I get up early, and walk myself off the ship with no problem.

P.S. I do like the suggestion of getting one of those travel vests if you are wanting to pack a few things in the pockets, in case you are getting limited on space. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Janie1229 said:

Shoes take up a lot of room. Wear your heaviest/biggest shoes. I usually wear my sneakers (I like to work out on the ship) and pack two shoes: one pair of dressy gold wedge sandals that go with everything, and pair of pretty/comfy walking sandals. Maybe a pair of water shoes but they take little room.

Shoes are the make-or-break of packing light /packing in just a carry-on: 

- Take only one pair in any given style.  I mean, don't take two pairs of tennis shoes or two pairs of walking sandals; instead, make sure the one pair you take in any given category will work with all the clothes you bring. 

- Don't take any shoe that you think you'll only wear once. 

- Bring water shoes only if you expect to need them for a shore excursion.  

But if you only want to wear slacks/pants, bring 2-3 at most. Take more tops that you can mix and match. 

Yes! 

There are also laundry "sheets" that you can wash a few things in the sink and hang in a portable clothes line. It works well. 

I don't like the ship's shampoo as shampoo ... but it's good for washing clothes.  

I do wish I could find more reversible dresses and/or tops!

I don't know ... they'd be thicker and would need to be washed after wearing.  

Good luck - you can do it!! I can't tell you how nice it is not to worry about a checked bag arriving or having to spend time checking in a bag. I get up early, and walk myself off the ship with no problem.

Agree! 

• Like 2

I'm one of those who did an 11 night cruise, with cocktail dresses, in only a small carry on and a big purse..in europe...in winter...

My biggest tip is:  weigh your clothing.  Get out the kitchen scales.  It's amazing how your perceptions can be so off, and the shoes you planned to bring weigh far more than the pair that only looks heavier.  Or those wrinkle resistant trousers may weigh more than several pairs of chinos.

Chiffon is your friend.  A chiffon blouse weighs next to nothing, rolls tiny, doesn't wrinkle and creates a whole new look. And if you have to wash them, due to food spillage or such, they are dry in no time.

For evening wear, a pair of black polyester trousers and a black cami can become a base for a series of little chiffon tops.  Basic black trousers all look the same anyway and you're only wearing them for a couple of hours in air-conditioning...how dirty can they get?  Depending on the cruise line, most have casual days where you could easily wear whatever you wore during the day.

Stuff your shoes with your socks and even undies. (that protects the shoes from crushing, too)  In fact, weigh your undies...I discovered that Marks & Spencers knickers are much lighter than, say, fruit of the loom and last just as long.  

The tshirt you wear the first day can become your sleepwear.  

And as everyone else said, wear your heaviest stuff on the plane.  (jeans, if you wear them...boots, if you wear them)  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just completed 18 days in a Canadian carry-on - which is a small rollaboard and luggage backpack. I packed for 7 days and planned to wear everything 3 times. I didn't wear 3 garments even once ... and two other garments only one time. That's 5 pieces that could have been left at home. 

You're correct in thinking that no one will notice what you wear, and if they do, who cares?

I don't wear black so don't follow the 'black flowy trousers and sparkly top' thing. Take things you love that work together - and will look good for multiple wearings. Send clothes out to be cleaned (who has time for laundry on a proper vacation?) Take a skirt instead of dresses - and tops that work for the day and evening. What took the most space for me was cold weather gear that ultimately wasn't needed because the weather was good. Definitely take 2 pairs of shoes in case one pair bothers your feet. 

• Like 1

Oh, and for flights, usually the standard carry-on wheelie bag has a weight allowance, but the under the seat small bag does not...so obviously if you have a heavy item, put it in the small bag!  You can shift it later.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Milaandra said:

My biggest tip is:  weigh your clothing.  Get out the kitchen scales.  It's amazing how your perceptions can be so off, and the shoes you planned to bring weigh far more than the pair that only looks heavier.

Interesting ... you're making me want to weigh my clothes.  

I'd ask though:  What matters most?  The weight of the shoes or their bulk?  

Chiffon is your friend.  A chiffon blouse weighs next to nothing, rolls tiny, doesn't wrinkle and creates a whole new look. And if you have to wash them, due to food spillage or such, they are dry in no time.

I don't know whether my gauzy tops are chiffon or not, but I definitely agree with the concept.  If I need to, I rinse my tops in the sink (using ship shampoo), roll them up in a towel, then hang them on a hanger on the clothesline.  

Stuff your shoes with your socks and even undies.

I don't do that because I have to get everything back into the suitcase at the end of the trip. 

Also, I don't unzip those extra couple inches on my suitcase ... this allows me a little extra space for the trip home. 

2 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

Just completed 18 days in a Canadian carry-on - which is a small rollaboard and luggage backpack. I packed for 7 days and planned to wear everything 3 times. I didn't wear 3 garments even once ... and two other garments only one time. That's 5 pieces that could have been left at home. 

I don't know that my numbers would be the same, but I could say something very similar.  

I don't wear black

Me neither!  Dinner is so often a sea of black ... why not wear something that is more cheerful and stands out a bit?  

Well, I can't say I DON'T wear black; for example, one of my favorite cruise dresses is bright floral on a black background.  I wear black as an accent, not as a main color.  

Definitely take 2 pairs of shoes in case one pair bothers your feet. 

I tend to take three pairs:  Tennis shoes (like little white Keds or Vans), walking sandals, and wedges for dinner.  IF I'm planning a water-based shore excursion, I'll take water shoes too ... but I wouldn't bring them just for a beach day.  

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Interesting ... you're making me want to weigh my clothes.  

I'd ask though:  What matters most?  The weight of the shoes or their bulk?  

I don't know whether my gauzy tops are chiffon or not, but I definitely agree with the concept. 

For me it's weight.  I pack tight and could easily go over the weight limit. 

4 hours ago, Milaandra said:

And amazingly enough, 42 pounds of checked bag gets heavier each year.  I'm a serious clothes horse, and try really hard to take less each trip.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Milaandra said:

See, I'm the opposite -- for me, bulk matters more.  We're close enough to drive to the port, and our luggage is on wheels.  So I have to get everything into the suitcase, but the weight doesn't really matter to me, which is good because I also "pack tightly".  

So many great tips!  I agree this is do-able. I fly carry-on only and pack it all in carry-on, and a tote bag as my personal item. Flying internationally with connections, I especially do not want to shop for clothes when I arrive if my luggage doesn't arrive when I do.  I would miss too much valuable vacation time trying on clothes in a dressing room!

In addition to the great tips above, I pack with a capsule travel wardrobe plan. Although I am a clothes horse at home, I put myself on a strict "budget" for travel. And no, I don't get bored with my clothes, as long as I focus on packing the things that feel good-- like cashmere, fine merino, linen, silk (I like clothes that give a great tactile experience) 😉 

The Vivienne files is a nice reference

https://www.theviviennefiles.com

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LarsenPNP said:

So many great tips!  I agree this is do-able. I fly carry-on only and pack it all in carry-on, and a tote bag as my personal item. Flying internationally with connections, I especially do not want to shop for clothes when I arrive if my luggage doesn't arrive when I do.  I would miss too much valuable vacation time trying on clothes in a dressing room!

In addition to the great tips above, I pack with a capsule travel wardrobe plan. Although I am a clothes horse at home, I put myself on a strict "budget" for travel. And no, I don't get bored with my clothes, as long as I focus on packing the things that feel good-- like cashmere, fine merino, linen, silk (I like clothes that give a great tactile experience) 😉 

The Vivienne files is a nice reference

https://www.theviviennefiles.com

I've been wondering how you can travel with linen or silk ... aren't wrinkles a problem?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

I've been wondering how you can travel with linen or silk ... aren't wrinkles a problem?

I take linen for warm weather itineraries, and it's a wrinkled mess about two seconds after I put it on, but I just ignore it.  

• Like 1

Just now, aungrl said:

I take linen for warm weather itineraries, and it's a wrinkled mess about two seconds after I put it on, but I just ignore it.  

You mean your valet doesn't press out the wrinkles?  Off with his head🤣(joking)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I roll the silk tops which helps immensely, and I go for that summer on Martha’s Vineyard wash and wear linen look 😉

As for the pressing (sometimes my best rolling still doesn’t work), I have found great value in pre-purchasing the laundry package. It’s a great deal on HAL, and allows me to pack less (more cost effective than the oversized bag fees). 

I will get my money’s worth by making sure I do a last possible send out at the end of the cruise so I am packing clean clothes on the way home. Not having to do laundry once home decreases my PVS — post-vacation syndrome. It’s a luxury I’ll take over any souvenir!

1 minute ago, LarsenPNP said:

I roll the silk tops which helps immensely, and I go for that summer on Martha’s Vineyard wash and wear linen look 😉

As for the pressing (sometimes my best rolling still doesn’t work), I have found great value in pre-purchasing the laundry package. It’s a great deal on HAL, and allows me to pack less (more cost effective than the oversized bag fees). 

I will get my money’s worth by making sure I do a last possible send out at the end of the cruise so I am packing clean clothes on the way home. Not having to do laundry once home decreases my PVS — post-vacation syndrome. It’s a luxury I’ll take over any souvenir!

I'm boarding a cruise tomorrow and laundry is one of my loyalty perks that I have never used.  I might use it for my workout clothes.  Thx for the suggestion!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I'm boarding a cruise tomorrow and laundry is one of my loyalty perks that I have never used.  I might use it for my workout clothes.  Thx for the suggestion!!

You’ll be hooked….

Have a great time!

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

One more tip — if you are doing a multi climate trip and packing silk and merino or cashmere, you can layer the silk top under the sweater before rolling and packing. The sweater then adds some cushioning to prevent wrinkles, much in the same way that tissue paper prevents wrinkles when used in retail.

• Thanks 2