7 day cruise packing list with carry-on luggage only?

6 minutes ago, LarsenPNP said:

One more tip — if you are doing a multi climate trip and packing silk and merino or cashmere, you can layer the silk top under the sweater before rolling and packing. The sweater then adds some cushioning to prevent wrinkles, much in the same way that tissue paper prevents wrinkles when used in retail.

I'm doing 4 days land trip Venice-Florence-Rome then a ten day cruise to Greece this mid October.  Good suggestions for packing!

One other point - think about what you are going to wear while you send your laundry out.  (Don't ask me how I learned this!)  For example last September I did a 13 day Iceland/Norway cruise, a 1 week land trip, and a 1 week France river cruise.  So I had to pack for cold, rainy weather and hot 80 degree weather on the trip.  I had 7 days worth of clothes in my european sized carryon and personal item.  But back to my point  - I had a simple dark navy blue pair of hiking pants that I was able to wear to dinner (not on a day I wore them on an excursion) while my "evening" pants were in the laundry.  

• Like 2

I pretty much follow this packing guide for all trips: I call it Base + 5 (I got the basic idea from the Vivienne website). 

For every trip, bring the basics. (This includes what you wear on first travel day)

1 sleepwear
Socks (if needed, up to 7 pairs)
underwear  (up to 7 pairs)
1 swimsuit (if appropriate for trip)
1 heavier outerwear (if needed for trip)
bras (up to 3)
shoes (up to 2)
Cold Weather Bag (contains 1 scarf/pashmina, 1 neck gaiter, 1 pair of magic gloves, 1 pair wool socks)
I bike short if packing any dresses (you could also pack a slip or slip shorts...whatever you want)
1 quart bag for liquid toiletries
Small bag for other toiletries

Then you start with 5 items......2 tops, 2 bottoms and 1 jacket/cardigan/coat. They should all match with each other. Tops can be blouses, tees, etc...whatever works for you. Bottoms can be shorts, slacks, jeans, skirts....your choice.

Then, for every trip, add one item per day, up to 10 days. (This is in addition to the items mentioned above).  So if you travel for 3 days, you get 5 + 3 items. If it's 10 days, you get 5 + 10. 

This works for many trips. But, let's say you're going away for a week and this includes a wedding, with more activities. Or, you're going on a cruise and want to wear something nice for gala nights and want to have extra swim suits and cover up.

So, if you're on a trip like that, add one item for a trip that's 1-3 days in length, add 2 items for a 4-5 day trip and 3 items for a 6-7+ day trip. 

Your items can be bottoms, tops, dresses, extra shoes, extra swimwear, etc. Whatever works for you.

As an example, I'm traveling to Orlando in July (I'm volunteering at an event). The gym will be freezing and I'll want pants and a lightweight jacket or sweater. Then I'm going on a 7 day cruise. I like to wear dresses on warm weather cruises. My trip is 16 days long. So I am packing my basic items, my 5 base items, plus 10 added items (I'm going longer than 10 days, so I maxed at 10) AND I'm adding three items because I have different clothing needs on this trip. So that's 18 items.

I'm a 1x/18-20 size. These items plus toiletries fit in my Travelpro rolling suitcase (I believe it's the 22" one). Then I take a smaller personal item. I frequently take a Kipling Sasha or a Kipling backpack, but it does vary. 

For my trip in July, this is what I'm taking:
3 slacks (think Athleta Brooklyn lightweight). Two navy blue and one taupe.
6 tops that match (I will bring all sleeveless)
5 dresses (all sleeveless)
a 2nd swimsuit
2 very lightweight cardigans (1 navy, 1 red) that are nice when inside the ship, like at dinner
1 sweatshirt material cardigan (for the gym and airflights....I'm flying coast to coast and will be on the plane awhile and am always cold on planes!)
That's 18 items.

The dresses I have all have some kind of blue in them. The tops for the taupe pants also have some blue in them. That way I don't need as many shoes. Planning your wardrobe to reduce shoes is really important for doing carryon only.  In winter, I tend to use black and blue as bottoms and bring a pair of black skechers and a pair of blue skechers. If there may be snow or rain it would be a pair of sneakers and a pair of ankle boots. 

The two shoes I'm bringing (included above) are a pair of navy skechers and blue tevas. The blue tevas can work for the pool as well. I don't need dressy clothes because I'm sailing on NCL. Sleeveless tops/dresses are nice when out on deck and it's warm, but I bring the cardigans because I do get cold. 

Now, if you're not a dress wearer, you can bring more slacks and tops.

Now, do I follow this exactly for every trip? Well, no. But it does me a nice structure to consider as I'm figuring out my packing list. And it's easy for me because I know this will fit in my carryon.  

Now, having said all this, really, you do you. I prefer to travel with carryon luggage only. I don't like managing all of the clothes and don't mind doing a little laundry. If you don't, that's really okay. It's not a contest. I think the reason people post about carryon packing lists is that you do need to think and be a little more careful than if you're bringing lots more and it can be helpful to see what other people do.

I'm actually one of those people that pack carryon for every cruise I've done. I did a 5 day out of LA with a personal item. I've sailed to Alaska twice with a Travelpro carryon and a personal item. I did a 16 day Panama Canal cruise in April and brought way more clothes than I usually do. It didn't fit in my trusty Travelpro, so I used a Rick Steves 22" backpack. Still a carryon, but you get more space since there aren't wheels. I spent three weeks in Europe (including a Norwegian Fjords cruise with HAL) that I did with only my Rick Steves backpack (no personal item). With most of my trips, the people I'm traveling with carry more. 

• Like 9

On 5/6/2023 at 11:00 AM, sailing canary said:

Yes, I am flying, so I have to keep the weight of my carry-on/roller under 10kgs.

Thank you for all your replies - lots to think about.

10kgs - lucky you!  It's 7kgs on Air New Zealand.

On 5/7/2023 at 5:17 PM, dd57 said:

One other point - think about what you are going to wear while you send your laundry out ... 

A very good point.  Assume that your laundry will be gone for two full days.  

On 5/13/2023 at 8:50 PM, PandaBear62 said:

Then you start with 5 items......2 tops, 2 bottoms and 1 jacket/cardigan/coat. They should all match with each other. Tops can be blouses, tees, etc...whatever works for you. Bottoms can be shorts, slacks, jeans, skirts....your choice.

This is much like the 5-4-3-2-1 packing method.  

Do vary your tops:  long sleeves, short sleeves, sleeveless ... one of them a solid white or black, two in print, one longer/more of a tunic.  

On 5/13/2023 at 8:50 PM, PandaBear62 said:
3 slacks (think Athleta Brooklyn lightweight). Two navy blue and one taupe

6 tops that match (I will bring all sleeveless)
5 dresses (all sleeveless)

Why two pair of navy blue pants?  I'd lean towards something different ... since blue is your theme-color, maybe a blue print skirt?  

I don't know that I'd go with ALL sleeveless, though I definitely embrace the idea of less sleeve with a cardigan.  Living in the South, I have mostly short sleeved /sleeveless dresses /blouses ... and a wealth of cardigans.  Works for a teacher.  

I have traveled the world alot (Military brat, and travel for my jobs), and my packing go to is INTERESTING large scale necklaces.  I buy them when I travel, so I always have memories when wearing them, and seven cool necklaces pack in a zip lock bag and can bring smart looks to a few solid color ls tops.  Add a pair (or two) of leggings and you're set for dinners.  Jeans and those same tops layered with one vest and one pashmina and one scarf and I'm set to go.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sailing canary said:

You gave me a bit of a fright there! I AM on Air New Zealand, so I checked and fortunately as I'm going PE, the allowance is 10kgs. Phew!!!

Premium Economy does sound nice - enjoy your trip

On 5/18/2023 at 5:17 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

This is much like the 5-4-3-2-1 packing method.  

Why two pair of navy blue pants?  I'd lean towards something different ... since blue is your theme-color, maybe a blue print skirt?  

I don't know that I'd go with ALL sleeveless, though I definitely embrace the idea of less sleeve with a cardigan.  Living in the South, I have mostly short sleeved /sleeveless dresses /blouses ... and a wealth of cardigans.  Works for a teacher.  

Yes, my method is similar to 5-4-3-2-1. It really varies trip to trip what I bring. Some trips it's all pants and tops, other times mostly dresses and sometimes a mixture. It's a little more flexible.

I brought 2 pairs of navy pants, but one was ankle pants and the other a pair of capri like (longer than mid calf, but not to my ankle). I like to reduce shoes, so prefer one color of shoe that will go with everything. I don't wear skirts. I normally would have brought a patterned pair of pants with blue but the ones that currently fit weren't what I wanted.

In terms of sleeveless blouses, I did that because we were cruising the Panama Canal and it was quite warm and humid. Sleeveless blouses with a lightweight cardigan were great because I could be outside and then have an extra layer when I went into the air conditioning. Other trips I would bring other sleeve lengths. 

• Like 2

On 5/1/2023 at 5:23 PM, jsn55 said:

I know people on this forum say they do this all the time.  They even include lists a mile long of what they put into a carryon.  I don't believe them!  But your premise is correct ... nobody notices nor cares what you're wearing as long as you look 'presentable'.  So first decide how many black shoes you need.  Pack some black pants, two tank tops, two S/S and one L/S shirts to wear on their own or as 'jackets', a top, scarf and pretty earrings for dinner, two polo shirts, a nightgown/robe/lounger.  Make sure all the tops and bottoms are interchangeable and hand-washable.  You can always buy some shirts during the trip if you like.  I have a very lightweight travel vest that's handy to carry heavier things on the plane, also good for port stops.  

Please let me know the brand of the vest and where purchased. I have a quilted vest with pockets that I love for cool weather.

10 hours ago, MIJOY said:

Please let me know the brand of the vest and where purchased. I have a quilted vest with pockets that I love for cool weather.

You can get them from many catalogues, I recall seeing them in  Magellan's, Eddie Bauer, Blair.  My very lightweight vest seems like it's pure cotton, but it never wrinkles, a nice neutral ivory color ... pretty sure I got it from Haband, probably for under $50.  

• Like 1

Just got back from a month in N. Europe, 3 weeks cruising, carry on only (COO).

Merino wool was my workhorse--NEVER SMELLED!!

3 s/s merino wool tops

3 l/s merino wool tops

2 merino wool cardigans

merino wool dress

1 very light dressy top

4 pants: joggers, 2 Skechers Go walks, palazzo (all black or dark grey)

Puffer vest & raincoat

sneakers, boots, ballet flats

2 bras, 5 underwear, 4 socks, tights, 2 nightshirts, 4 scarves

I hand washed lingerie.

Edited by KKB
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, KKB said:

Just got back from a month in N. Europe, 3 weeks cruising, carry on only (COO).

Merino wool was my workhorse--NEVER SMELLED!!

3 s/s merino wool tops

3 l/s merino wool tops

2 merino wool cardigans

merino wool dress

1 very light dressy top

4 pants: joggers, 2 Skechers Go walks, palazzo (all black or dark grey)

Puffer vest & raincoat

sneakers, boots, ballet flats

2 bras, 5 underwear, 4 socks, tights, 2 nightshirts, 4 scarves

I hand washed lingerie.

Sounds like a perfect packing list.  What brands are your merino pieces?

11 hours ago, aungrl said:

Sounds like a perfect packing list.  What brands are your merino pieces?

Mostly Wool&; the L/S tees were Costco!

I just discovered Costco for clothing last year--and as a recent retire-y who is traveling A LOT, MANY clothes there fit the bill for lounging or traveling. And I'm amazed at the quality for amazing prices. I've learned if they don't have my size to check online--and then check for items my store doesn't carry.

(Travel Fashion Girl blog/You Tube videos/social media is what got tipped me off on both merino wool & Costco)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KKB said:

Mostly Wool&; the L/S tees were Costco!

I just discovered Costco for clothing last year--and as a recent retire-y who is traveling A LOT, MANY clothes there fit the bill for lounging or traveling. And I'm amazed at the quality for amazing prices. I've learned if they don't have my size to check online--and then check for items my store doesn't carry.

(Travel Fashion Girl blog/You Tube videos/social media is what got tipped me off on both merino wool & Costco)

Thanks!  I love Costco, and I didn't know they carried merino items.  Will check that out later this week.

11 minutes ago, aungrl said:

Thanks!  I love Costco, and I didn't know they carried merino items.  Will check that out later this week.

Probably will need to wait for fall to hope they return.

• 2 weeks later...

Travel Fashion Girls on FB is an amazing place.  I will say I have learned so much from it!

I'm a size 22 and just did Europe last year for 22 days which included a cruise.  I had clothing only in the small black Delsey bag and I had our iPads, chargers, 1 pair of shoes, toiletries and folder with our tickets/itinerary in the backpack.  I packed many neutral colored clothing-lighter t's and tanks, 3 Columbia travel shorts, a skirt, 4 dresses, cape/scarves, 3 prs. pants, Columbia cardigan, Ex-Officio undies, bras, nightgowns and a bathsuit with a cover up.  I packed them Marie Kondo style and everything went in  Europe was hot last summer, so the lighter fabrics were very easy to give a little swish to in the basin, even though as Elite on Celebrity, we could have sent wash out.  We sent a few things to a laundry in Rome and paid like $10  

I have a 22in Lipault I normally would have used for a 7 day cruise, however with the harder stuff that I knew we would want to use on the plane, tickets and so forth, I just made the decision to get the backpack out of ease in not having to open my actual clothing until we got to the hotel.  In the end, I am SO HAPPY that I packed smaller, because Santorini was a tough climb to our hotel (incidentally saw a honeymoon couple struggling with 5 full sized bags and they were walking further than us!) and Venice was another torturous place to drag luggage around.  There were about 5 travel days in our trip and of course the 7 days on the cruise.  Our trip was suppose to happen in 2020 and I had a few health things change for me, so I ended up really appreciating packing light.  Also, our plane did not take off in Spain due to problems and we had to fly out the next day.  We walked off with our possessions while others scrambled the end of the day trying to get their stuff.  Barcelona airport was a nightmare as were many European airports last year.  Speaking for myself, there is no other way to go.  I'll be back to my Lipault for our 9 day cruise in January.

europepacking.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As I said above, I have long been a fan of the 5-4-3-2-1 packing method, but a few days ago I saw a "packing formula" that I like.  It's flexible, though it doesn't seem to be particularly cruise-oriented; that is, for a cruise I'd want more dresses.  Still, I'm going to use it for my next trip.    

Light packing formula:

⥀    Pick 2 tops & 1 bottom … in your chosen neutral, including a stripe or print 

⥀    Add jeans and/or a third bottom in a coordinating color 

⥀    Add a solid white or black shirt 

⥀    Add 2-4 colorful tops 

⥀    Add 1-2 dresses … including a floral or print         

⥀    Add 1-2 layering items … sweater, jacket, wrap, etc. 

⥀    Pack 1-2 PJs or lounging outfits … joggers or yoga pants + tees 

⥀    Add accessories … hats, headbands, scarves, jewelry 

⥀    Choose 2-3 shoes … boots, tennis shoes, dressy shoes, sandals 

⥀    Add specifics useful for this trip:  swimsuits, rain jacket, etc. 

⥀    Small clothes … add compression socks, if flying 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Sharon, what is that grey bag on the left side of the photo?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09W5ZMQQC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hey Lois!!  
This is such a great bag!  I loved that I could organize my paperwork and iPad, chargers and the like.  It's a great price on Amazon, I think!

Edited by islandgirlejfan

4 hours ago, islandgirlejfan said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09W5ZMQQC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hey Lois!!  
This is such a great bag!  I loved that I could organize my paperwork and iPad, chargers and the like.  It's a great price on Amazon, I think!

Hi Sharon, thanks.....I didn't realize it is really a backpack. The grey portion looks pretty deep. That is what I was looking at. But not a back pack.

19 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Sharon, thanks.....I didn't realize it is really a backpack.  The grey portion looks pretty deep. That is what I was looking at. But not a back pack.

It's deep, but it has handles.  I assure you, I never used it as a backpack. 🤣  LOL, my back would say big NO, because that is a bygone day!  I will say I wish it had the strap to hook it to your pull handle to your other bag.  I'm thinking that may be what you are looking for.    

2 hours ago, islandgirlejfan said:

It's deep, but it has handles.  I assure you, I never used it as a backpack. 🤣  LOL, my back would say big NO, because that is a bygone day!  I will say I wish it had the strap to hook it to your pull handle to your other bag.  I'm thinking that may be what you are looking for.    

Good morning, I really don't need to look for anything. I have 2 pieces that I have been using for years now and they do great but sometimes I just like to see what is out there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1