7 day cruise packing list with carry-on luggage only?

I’m using a 28l COR Surf Island Hopper.

Three color choices, and basically is a Cotopaxi Alla. For sub $100 USD.

Looks like a $5 off sale today

I realized I was getting frustrated with my current backpack (more padding than needed, weird organization, delicate feeling zippers…it’s a keep partially packed for impromptu getaways bag, not a sturdy air travel option (and it’s not like I live near a port).

I test-packed the Island Hopper, and it’s got plenty of flex room (perfect for fitting under the seat on a flight), opens all the way (like a book), and my pack weighed in at 4.8 kg. I’ve got one clothing item to add, so I’m way under any weight concerns.

Edited by Truepeacenik
Fixed link.

8 hours ago, Truepeacenik said:

I realized I was getting frustrated with my current backpack (more padding than needed, weird organization, delicate feeling zippers…

This^^^. We have eBags Slim Professionals in two sizes each, but they are like, half padding! Also weird organization where you really have to memorize where EVERYTHING is. I would have to check if the zippers were fragile-feeling... Maybe you had the same backpack!

I will probably try to sell them on FB Marketplace to people with actual delicate electronics (not just travellers like us).

• Like 2

On 5/18/2023 at 3:01 PM, sailing canary said:

You gave me a bit of a fright there! I AM on Air New Zealand, so I checked and fortunately as I'm going PE, the allowance is 10kgs. Phew!!!

Hi sailing canary! Has your trip happened? We kind of hijacked your thread with excitement over new "personal item" totes. If you've travelled, how did it go? If you haven't yet, I will put in my two pence viz my system. 

Hi crystalspin

No need to apologise - I found it really interesting! I haven't been yet. If all goes well I'm hoping to go in November, but there are health issues (and therefore insurance issues), so fingers crossed.

Or I'll have left it so late I won't be able to afford what's still available!

I'm still determined to only go with cabin baggage and a tote.

• Like 2

So we may all feel unable to pack…

one of my girlfriends just left today for an 8 week trip to Europe.  Germany (to visit friends), Spain, and Portugal.  She’s solo on this.  Part of her trip is walking/hiking the Portuguese trail of the Camino (around 600 Kms).  Last year she did the Northern part, something like 700 km.  The left with her rolling carry on size bag at 12 kg and her pack at 6 kg ( has to keep light because she’ll also be carrying lots of water.).  The pack is what she’ll use on the Camino.  She’s a beast!!!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

So we may all feel unable to pack…

one of my girlfriends just left today for an 8 week trip to Europe.  Germany (to visit friends), Spain, and Portugal.  She’s solo on this.  Part of her trip is walking/hiking the Portuguese trail of the Camino (around 600 Kms).  Last year she did the Northern part, something like 700 km.  The left with her rolling carry on size bag at 12 kg and her pack at 6 kg ( has to keep light because she’ll also be carrying lots of water.).  The pack is what she’ll use on the Camino.  She’s a beast!!!  

I have a friend that’s done the whole thing 5-6 times…she’s a definite beast!!

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

I have a friend that’s done the whole thing 5-6 times…she’s a definite beast!!

She’s the one who lives in Aurora.  She goes up in the mountains almost everyday and does 6-14 miles.  She’ll get up there around 5am and goes from there.  If she doesn’t go up in the hills, she’ll walk around some big reservoir and then go do an hour of weights and yoga.   Next year she says she’s doing some major hiking up in the Swiss Alps.   She’s from Germany, I guess she was raised hiking.

I found a surprise in my Apple bag today.  My sales guy stuck a $150 gift card in there!  And he gave me the student discount on the Mac.  He said we’re all still learning in the School of Life 😸.  Nice kid.  Trying to set the new Mac up and running.  I messed up 1 thing that I have to go back and redo, but no biggie.  I’m doing the iOS upgrade now before I go further.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

She’s the one who lives in Aurora.  She goes up in the mountains almost everyday and does 6-14 miles.  She’ll get up there around 5am and goes from there.  If she doesn’t go up in the hills, she’ll walk around some big reservoir and then go do an hour of weights and yoga.   Next year she says she’s doing some major hiking up in the Swiss Alps.   She’s from Germany, I guess she was raised hiking.

I found a surprise in my Apple bag today.  My sales guy stuck a $150 gift card in there!  And he gave me the student discount on the Mac.  He said we’re all still learning in the School of Life 😸.  Nice kid.  Trying to set the new Mac up and running.  I messed up 1 thing that I have to go back and redo, but no biggie.  I’m doing the iOS upgrade now before I go further.  

Sweet gift!!  My friend is from CSprings, bet they know of each other

23 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Sweet gift!!  My friend is from CSprings, bet they know of each other

Could be.  Doro Hindze Madry.  

Man, I'm messing up my login/settings.  From way back, I've had 2 Apple IDs, one that I've used for my machines and one for iTunes (now Apple Music).  I keep trying to set it right, but it will bounce back to on or the other.  I'll have to ask tomorrow.   And, I'm hoping that my iCloud account is going right and access to everything is getting synced!!!  It's taking a loooong time.

Now, I have to get used to typing on a MacBook again after using my iPad since April!!  My eyes will like it, I'm sure.  

On 5/1/2023 at 3:24 PM, sailing canary said:

I am intending travelling with just a roller carry-on and my handy tote bag for my next cruise...

I've seen numerous YouTube videos, but most of them seem to have much bigger carry-on luggage. I will be using a bag which conforms to European and international sizes and weight. Many of the videos I have seen are aimed at US travellers who seem to be allowed to bring much bigger (unweighed) bags on board.

Air New Zealand: The sum of length, width and height of each piece must measure less than 46.5 inches. The "points guy" says that's 21.7 by 15.7 by 9 inches. And as you know, 10kg for PE passenger.

The total dimensions are actually larger than US domestic airlines state -- and are starting to enforce. 22 by 14 by 9 inches = 45". The idea that US has lax-er requirements comes from the stated size(s) not being enforced, and luggage companies pushing the limits by not including wheels and handles!

I thought 10kg (22lb) total for rollaboard and personal item, was very very light when we flew on Norwegian Air -- I literally weighed every single item on my utility/kitchen scale! But researching current requirements I see that's now the most common for European/international airlines. And some are less -- 7kg would be worth upgrading to PE! Although I probably could do it on Holland America, now that we've acheived 4*s (free laundry).

Funny thing about getting the bags down to the ounce for Norwegian Air is: they didn't weigh us! Maybe it was because I lifted my larger bag with two fingers???

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 3:47 PM, crystalspin said:

This^^^. We have eBags Slim Professionals in two sizes each, but they are like, half padding! Also weird organization where you really have to memorize where EVERYTHING is. I would have to check if the zippers were fragile-feeling... Maybe you had the same backpack!

I will probably try to sell them on FB Marketplace to people with actual delicate electronics (not just travellers like us).

Alas, there are many really big for daily carry otherwise useless bags out there. 
Mine was Dakine. Good bags, but not for my needs. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 7:38 PM, crystalspin said:

Air New Zealand: The sum of length, width and height of each piece must measure less than 46.5 inches. The "points guy" says that's 21.7 by 15.7 by 9 inches. And as you know, 10kg for PE passenger.

The total dimensions are actually larger than US domestic airlines state -- and are starting to enforce. 22 by 14 by 9 inches = 45". The idea that US has lax-er requirements comes from the stated size(s) not being enforced, and luggage companies pushing the limits by not including wheels and handles!

I thought 10kg (22lb) total for rollaboard and personal item, was very very light when we flew on Norwegian Air -- I literally weighed every single item on my utility/kitchen scale! But researching current requirements I see that's now the most common for European/international airlines. And some are less -- 7kg would be worth upgrading to PE! Although I probably could do it on Holland America, now that we've acheived 4*s (free laundry).

Funny thing about getting the bags down to the ounce for Norwegian Air is: they didn't weigh us! Maybe it was because I lifted my larger bag with two fingers???

Lifting a bag with a finger is my guarantee that no one will look twice at the bag. 

I don’t look strong. Because I’m a massage therapist. Secretly strong.  Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/14/2023 at 1:24 AM, sailing canary said:

If all goes well I'm hoping to go in November, ...

Or I'll have left it so late I won't be able to afford what's still available!

I'm still determined to only go with cabin baggage and a tote.

Hi Canary!

I've been searching for my packing lists. I believe this one is the 10-kg for both roll-aboard and personal item Norwegian Air return flight cruise. Preface: I am a "big girl"/plus size/ US18 top-22 bottom. And dr'spin is no lightweight either, but favors synthetic/light shirts and trousers. We cross-pack if I didn't say that before. This is the un-cross-packed list of my garments:

Burgundy Legging

burgundy tank
Burg.Plaid LightWt
Burg.Plaid Flannel
Burg Skechers

Navy Pocket L'ing
Navy Tee Shirt
Blue-purple Tunic
L.Sleeved T-shirt

4-way top 
Black lt wt cardie

3 Bras
2 Nightie
9 footies
8 undies

WEAR
Long Skirt w/Petty
Pocket Tee
Purp/Blk Cardie
Leather Jacket

Navy Belt Bag
Navy Burg Cap

Wrist Watch
Support Stirrups
Socks Blue
Navy Skechers

My "long skirt" was reversible, with a blue ditzy print on the travel side and black for the dressy nights (with the four-sided tank and black cardie). Skechers were flat fabric shoes, weight of <10oz.

I did not list above, but could provide, the non-clothes packing (toiletries, electronics, sundries). 

TLDR: Two colors (mine were navy and burgundy, with some black thrown in). Three "bottoms" including the outfit I wore, but sorta four bc the skirt is reversible. Seven shirts spanning the seasons from tanktop to flannel shirt. One woolen-blend cardie suiting all. My leather jacket is a dark rose! 

@sailing canary -- I meant to point out that both my husband and I are people of size. If you are not, OR can find trousers that weigh less/pack thinner, you might get another full outfit (bottoms and two to three tops) in there!

Or as my life-sized sister said about our petite half-sister -- "She could pack a different dress for each day and fit them in a band-aid box!"

Edited by crystalspin
  • Haha 4

Ladies, thanks for sharing all the helpful travel packing tips! 

Has anyone worn shoes by Pashion Footwear?  They convert from flat sandals to either stiletto heels (3" or 4") or block (1.5", 3", or 4").  Today I ordered two pairs, one in black and one in taupe.  Essentially, I can pack both pairs with the convertible heel pieces in one shoe bag.

https://pashionfootwear.com/collections/last-chance

22 hours ago, brunello22 said:

Ladies, thanks for sharing all the helpful travel packing tips! 

Has anyone worn shoes by Pashion Footwear?  They convert from flat sandals to either stiletto heels (3" or 4") or block (1.5", 3", or 4").  Today I ordered two pairs, one in black and one in taupe.  Essentially, I can pack both pairs with the convertible heel pieces in one shoe bag.

https://pashionfootwear.com/collections/last-chance

I have Solely Jane's.  The convertible shoes make it nice to add without adding a lot to the weight of your bag and allow you to achieve a few more looks!
https://trysolelyjane.com/collections/all-products

• Like 2

On 8/1/2023 at 1:39 AM, crystalspin said:

@sailing canary -- I meant to point out that both my husband and I are people of size. If you are not, OR can find trousers that weigh less/pack thinner, you might get another full outfit (bottoms and two to three tops) in there!

Or as my life-sized sister said about our petite half-sister -- "She could pack a different dress for each day and fit them in a band-aid box!"

I definitely get this....lol, even though I'm dieting and losing some, I'm still pretty much a size 22.  Columbia travel shorts are thin and they dry uber fast!  I bought some cute fast fashion T-shirts at Target that folded up nice, resisted wrinkles and weighed practically nothing.  I have a cute dress from Goddess on the Go that has two covers and changes the dress completely.  I think what I wish is that there were a little more reversible items made!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

One item I always pack in my bag is an inflatable coat hanger. Here in Australia, Korjo is the brand.  They allow your tops and shirts to dry quicker due to the air circulation.   And I agree that most You Tube videos and blogs I have read do not consider the 7kg maximum cabin bag limit.  I am always searching for those that do. We have a 7kg limit on all airlines to Europe. A challenge for a 5 week trip including a one week walking holiday in Yorkshire and two week Norwegian cruise in October.  Thank you everyone for the tips given here.