Ireland/Scotland May 7-17: puffer coat?

Ok my puffer coat didn’t fit.

I have many merino wool layers: short & long sleeve tees, crew neck sweater, cardigans, several warm scarves plus puffer vest & hooded rain jacket.

That was plenty warm (often too much) in AK in Sept with similar weather tho not really windy.

Am I going to want that puffer coat?

1 hour ago, robin13 said:

Have you looked to see what the weather is supposed to be like?  If you go to the Weather Channel they have 10-day forecasts which are pretty accurate. 

Or Google search weather in a couple of ports.

I would say no puffer coat for Scotland and Ireland but definitely a waterproof. For the next couple of weeks the forecast is showery and temperatures between 13-16 degrees Celsius (Scotland) . Layers and a waterproof will be fine. You may want to bring a hat - I was out walking last night and said to my husband that I should have brought one. You can get caught out by the wind if it’s coming from the North or East. A local farmer commented on the weather, saying it’s been a bit like a rollercoaster this year.

Not sure what the weather is like in Nebraska but remember it’s all relative.   On our Baltic Cruise last year I was sunbathing in my swimming costume and a Mexican  lady next to me was wrapped up in her winter coat😂

Yep, gonna be rainy a lot & typical spring temps (more like March-April)

Looks like my thoughts of layers look to be on point. Taking carry one only, every item needs to be a must.

I prefer a hood to the hassle of an umbrella--plus if it's windy, an umbrella is an even bigger hassle.

HATE winter caps--they make my head sweat.

I can always put my hair in a pony tail if it gets wet--it's my glasses that are more annoying in the rain.

Huh, maybe DH has a water resistant baseball cap...not my fav, but would keep my glasses clear.

I am in Ireland, It depends on the day or even the time of day. 🤣 Today was lovely but about 5pm it got cold and windy. It is raining and really windy tonight, earlier this week was really nice. I am wearing my lighter short puffer.  I had wee magic gloves on tonight but my hands are always cold, Wear waterproof shoes. I normally am in layers like a t-shirt/top with a jumper or hoody over it, Some people are still wearing hats. No harm in having it. I prefer a hood and my hair up. 

I just looked at the weather for the next week. Tonight and tomorrow are wet and colder particularly at night. It gives a dry weekend (yay!!) and wet all next week. The temps range between 8c-11c in the evenings and 15-18c in the day. 

On 5/1/2023 at 7:33 PM, KKB said:

Am I going to want that puffer coat?

Layers. Easy, lightweight layers. A lightweight waterproof anorak or fleece (random rain showers that come and go, or not!) that could easily be removed and wrapped around your waist or shoulders or tossed into your daypack, a good cotton shirt underneath (or if you like, one of those breathable sport shirts). Maybe a hat?

That should do you well. Kind of loved the weather 🙂 

• Thanks 1

I will be sailing out of Southampton in late August for 12 nights which will end in Copenhagen on Sept 8th.  I don't own a puffer jacket so that would not be on my radar. I am guessing layering would be the way to pack for this cruise too. We are sailing to various ports in Ireland and Scotland and I have  a full day in Copenhagen post cruise before flying home on the 9th..

It sounds like I will be in long sleeves and either jeans or joggers for daytime touring, yes, with some type of sweater/jacket.  I will be checking the weather pretty closely as the time gets closer. Normally I check on line within a 2 span before my cruise so that will give me a good idea of those current temps.

On 5/2/2023 at 2:07 AM, robin13 said:

If you go to the Weather Channel they have 10-day forecasts which are pretty accurate. 

This is very funny. It may be true for Texas, but no weather forecast for the British Isles can necessarily be relied on to be "pretty accurate". If we happen to be having a spell of settled weather (whether good or bad), then a weather forecast may be reasonably good for three to four days ahead. If we're in an unsettled patch (like we are now), forecasts for more than about three or four hours in advance may be no better than sticking your finger in the air and guessing - and good forecasters will tell you this themselves.

This is a consequence of the fact that we basically live in the middle of the North Atlantic Ocean. The only thing that can be said with confidence is that we will be in for a spot of weather.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm glad that I made you laugh but I'm just going by what I did last September for my British Isles cruise and in March for my Central Europe land tour.  The 10-day forecast from the Weather Channel was very accurate for me.  I was just making a suggestion and the OP and others can do with it what they want.

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

This is very funny. It may be true for Texas, but no weather forecast for the British Isles can necessarily be relied on to be "pretty accurate". If we happen to be having a spell of settled weather (whether good or bad), then a weather forecast may be reasonably good for three to four days ahead. If we're in an unsettled patch (like we are now), forecasts for more than about three or four hours in advance may be no better than sticking your finger in the air and guessing - and good forecasters will tell you this themselves.

This is a consequence of the fact that we basically live in the middle of the North Atlantic Ocean. The only thing that can be said with confidence is that we will be in for a spot of weather.

Yep.. that about sums in up. It was hailing and blowing a gale when I left work a couple hours ago. Now the sun is splitting the trees. 🤷🏽‍♀️🤣

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I will be sailing out of Southampton in late August for 12 nights which will end in Copenhagen on Sept 8th.  I don't own a puffer jacket so that would not be on my radar. I am guessing layering would be the way to pack for this cruise too. We are sailing to various ports in Ireland and Scotland and I have  a full day in Copenhagen post cruise before flying home on the 9th..

It sounds like I will be in long sleeves and either jeans or joggers for daytime touring, yes, with some type of sweater/jacket.  I will be checking the weather pretty closely as the time gets closer. Normally I check on line within a 2 span before my cruise so that will give me a good idea of those current temps.

That will be fine clothes wise. Bring a waterproof jacket with a hood. It doesn’t need to be heavy so long as it has a wee bit of warmth, 

22 minutes ago, GAAmum said:

Yep.. that about sums in up. It was hailing and blowing a gale when I left work a couple hours ago. Now the sun is splitting the trees. 🤷🏽‍♀️🤣

That will be fine clothes wise. Bring a waterproof jacket with a hood. It doesn’t need to be heavy so long as it has a wee bit of warmth, 

Thanks🙂....and my post should have said I check the weather more closely within a 2 week span before I leave........(I left out the word WEEK) on my previous post. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 5:02 PM, Lois R said:

Thanks🙂....and my post should have said I check the weather more closely within a 2 week span before I leave........(I left out the word WEEK) on my previous post. 

The greatest majority of the time, UK & Ireland weather comes from the South West.  Despite all of today's technology and supercomputer simulations of likely scenarios, I rarely rely on a forecast for more than 2 days forward (especially at this time of year).  They may be right with the sequence of the weather ... it'll be dry, then wet, then cold & wet etc... but the timing can change quite significantly, even that short period ahead.

My #1 tip would be to have a light (the lighter the better) waterproof jacket.  That will protect you from rain, be easy to pack in a day sack, and double up as a windbreak.  It's often not the air-temperature that's the issue, but the wind-chill factor.  Combined with a fleece and whatever shirt or similar you would normally wear, you'll be ready for anything that you're likely to come across.