Are hotel room safes safe?

43 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You probably are setting the same code every time you use it. I do because if I kept changing it I would forget the code.

I tend to do that in general especially since I have been designated as being old.

19 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Well yes they have to be left open to select a combination. If the previous disembarked cabin occupant left it closed the cabin steward has to call security to open it. That is part of their job to make sure the safe door is open for embarking passengers.

I was on a cruise once where the safe was locked.Maintenance had to come and get it open.

10 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Wow, what a coincidence!.  I thought that was MY secret code that no one else would think of.  I use "password" a lot too, especially for my bank and brokerage accounts!  😉

I tend to use words translated into numbers or names translated into numbers.

8 hours ago, ExpatBride said:

That's a solution looking for a problem. I wear my jewels because I enjoy their history and imagining all the places they've been before me. Replicas would suck the joy out of that, and I doubt I'd be able to get something of comparable style made cheaply.

My wife and I do not wear jewelry.The only things we put in a ships safe is our passports and cell phones.I have yet to be on a cruise or any other type of vacation where anyone has tried to mug me.I have thevappearance of someone that nobody would desire to mess with.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

There were some hotel safes in Rome that used a key for access. I was not enthusiastic about using those. 

If you were an elderly person who traveled 50 or more years ago all public safes were key entry as were ships cabin doors.

26 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Wow, what a coincidence!.  I thought that was MY secret code that no one else would think of.  I use "password" a lot too, especially for my bank and brokerage accounts!  😉

Oh yes!  I like to use my account number for our brokerage accounts ... so convenient, no?

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

??

Well, how did you select a combination...?

That's what we are all referring to... selecting a combination to use.

What are you referring to?
What did you do differently the last time, vs. all the previous times you used a hotel safe?

How else could a hotel in-room safe be used?  There obviously can't be a combination posted on the wall next to the safe...  😱

GC

Isn't that why everyone brings those post-it notes.   😄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

You probably are setting the same code every time you use it. I do because if I kept changing it I would forget the code.

We use one of two 4 digit codes every time.  That way, Mrs Ldubs or I will know without having to ask.   If we ever run into a safe with 5 digits, we will be in trouble!  

5 hours ago, DCThunder said:

My preferred password is "incorrect ". If by any chance I forget it, and input the wrong word,  my computer shows the message "Your password is incorrect " ! How useful is that ?

• Haha 5