Aqua class occupancy with special needs

Edna Cloud

Hi

I'm sorry if this has been asked before (I can't find the answer on a search)...

My sister and her husband would like to join an upcoming family reunion cruise with their son who is an adult, but he has a learning disability. They would like to sail in Aqua class, both to be with the rest of the family, but also the smaller restaurant is an appeal in this case.  They understand that Aqua is limited to 2 people in a cabin usually, but wondered if they paid for him to be in his own cabin, would he actually be allowed to stay in their cabin on the sofa overnight as they would want to supervise him. Is that possible?

I slept on the sofa in Aqua for a couple of nights and it isn’t designed for comfort! It was just bearable. 

Could the son sleep with one parent on the bed and the other parent sleep in son’s room?

Thank you for the replies; I think they were hoping to get to stay together in one room rather than split up as it is a trip of a lifetime for them so would prefer to find a way if possible. I suspect my sister might end up on the sofa and DH and son keep the bed (as she always puts herself out for others).  Would there be spare bedding for her if she did that, or would she have to take some from the unused bed in her son’s booked cabin (hope that makes sense)?

2 minutes ago, Edna Cloud said:

Thank you for the replies; I think they were hoping to get to stay together in one room rather than split up as it is a trip of a lifetime for them so would prefer to find a way if possible. I suspect my sister might end up on the sofa and DH and son keep the bed (as she always puts herself out for others).  Would there be spare bedding for her if she did that, or would she have to take some from the unused bed in her son’s booked cabin (hope that makes sense)?

Just ask your cabin attendant when you meet them.  They will accommodate your spare bedding needs.

• Thanks 1

Why not price up the difference between two Aqua cabins vs one Sky Suite vs a Celebrity Suite?  I would think a Sky Suite would be under the cost of two Aqua Cabins and then you would have a real sofa bed. If you book a suite you would then have access to Luminae which is small, like Blu, but more spacious (better spacing between tables). You would also have access to the suite lounge and suite deck (on some ships) which would be generally quieter than general public spaces. Also priority boarding and options to reduce queuing…

A CS gives you the option of the son being in the suite with them but with two defined areas giving everyone more space.

Given the circumstances I am sure the M’D would arrange for them to dine with your family . Technically access to Blu for suite guests is ‘depending on availability’ but they are sensitive to individual circumstances.

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank you; I’ll tell my sister. She has never cruised before and wants to join me and my DH as a treat to mark her retirement. She is my much, much older sister (as I like to tell her often 🤣).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Why not price up the difference between two Aqua cabins vs one Sky Suite vs a Celebrity Suite?  I would think a Sky Suite would be under the cost of two Aqua Cabins and then you would have a real sofa bed. If you book a suite you would then have access to Luminae which is small, like Blu, but more spacious (better spacing between tables). You would also have access to the suite lounge and suite deck (on some ships) which would be generally quieter than general public spaces. Also priority boarding and options to reduce queuing…

A CS gives you the option of the son being in the suite with them but with two defined areas giving everyone more space.

Given the circumstances I am sure the M’D would arrange for them to dine with your family . Technically access to Blu for suite guests is ‘depending on availability’ but they are sensitive to individual circumstances.

This advice is spot on….

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

This advice is spot on….

I agree. I hadn’t even thought of that, but they would all be so much more comfortable, and I’m sure that something could be arranged so that you could dine together most if not all nights. 

6 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

If the son isn’t registered in Aqua, he wouldn’t be able to eat in blu with his parents.

The intention would be that he would be registered in Aqua; they would just prefer to find a way to sleep in the same room (given the special needs of their son).

7 hours ago, chemmo said:

That's definitely worth pricing up to see if there's much (any) difference.

Thank you all.

You really need to contact Celebrity on this but the limit to 2 to a room is partly a space issue.  If even a few people had extra passengers then they would run out of room in Blu. Aqua class in only a single floor of rooms.  So I find it highly unlikely that they would be allowed to book him into their room.  You can't even select Aqua class with 3+ in a room.

Is anyone in the family sailing solo in Aqua? They could add him to their room but then he just goes down the hall to sleep with his parents.  The couches truly are miserable though. They aren't designed for sleeping like the cabins that allow 3+ which have convertible beds.  I also recommend doing a suite and then asking permission to dine down in Blu with the rest of the family. Everyone will enjoy the cruise more getting better sleep.

29 minutes ago, chimchimtx said:

You really need to contact Celebrity on this but the limit to 2 to a room is partly a space issue.  If even a few people had extra passengers then they would run out of room in Blu. Aqua class in only a single floor of rooms.  So I find it highly unlikely that they would be allowed to book him into their room.  You can't even select Aqua class with 3+ in a room.

That was never their intention...

On 5/3/2023 at 12:11 PM, Edna Cloud said:

They understand that Aqua is limited to 2 people in a cabin usually, but wondered if they paid for him to be in his own cabin, would he actually be allowed to stay in their cabin on the sofa overnight

They were always intending to book 2 cabins, just a simple question of the practicality of using the couch so nobody would actually be sleeping in the other cabin... on that point I agree with you, it would be miserable to actually try to sleep on one of those in Aqua.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

That was never their intention...

They were always intending to book 2 cabins, just a simple question of the practicality of using the couch so nobody would actually be sleeping in the other cabin... on that point I agree with you, it would be miserable to actually try to sleep on one of those in Aqua.

Oh yes, sorry, I misread that.  I would think they would allow him to sleep in with his parents as all they care about is the money for the two cabins.  Speaking for the couches on Equinox, they were pretty long so stretching out wouldn't be a problem but they were a hard leather contemporary design. It would be like sleeping on a rock.  Since they are already expecting to pay for two cabins I would just try for adjoining cabins, and give it a try the first night.  If it doesn't work and it is miserable then worst case they can have someone sleep with him in one cabin and someone gets to sleep by themselves in the other. I have found Celebrity to be as accommodating as they can within what they can safely do, so I am sure they will work with you to find a great solution.  Enjoy your family cruise!

• Like 1

I would have them contact special needs and see what is possible.  Email and phone contact are on their website (link below). 

In my opinion, it should not be a problem for them to be able to make up a comfortable pallet for whoever ends up on the couch.  However, maybe I'm missing what ship that we're talking about, but some classes do have connecting rooms, which might be a possible solution.  In any case or configuration, I would just trade who sleeps in the room with him so that everyone is on a real bed.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/special-needs

42 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

I would have them contact special needs and see what is possible.  Email and phone contact are on their website (link below). 

In my opinion, it should not be a problem for them to be able to make up a comfortable pallet for whoever ends up on the couch.  However, maybe I'm missing what ship that we're talking about, but some classes do have connecting rooms, which might be a possible solution.  In any case or configuration, I would just trade who sleeps in the room with him so that everyone is on a real bed.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/special-needs

I believe a suite is the way to go and speak with celebrity about joining the remainder of your group for meals .  Celebrity will link all your reservations together .

You could also book one Aqua Sky Suite for the 3 of you, it would have a sofa bed and it has access to both Blu and Luminae for all occupants. I would think 1 suite for 3 would be less in cost than 2 aqua cabins. You would also have much more space in the cabin and bathroom.

Edited by terrydtx