Shows? Pretty upset

3 hours ago, Tatka said:

Reservations are not tied to check-in I believe. Also try to use it in browser rather than app.

True. We have booked stuff for our October and November cruises already, and check in doesn't open for months. We always use the browser on our PC.

• Like 1

On Allure this came up during an upper tier meet & greet with the entertainment staff and cruise director. The CD told us that the ship holds back 20% of all seats for onboard booking the first day. If by the time you board they are then full, just show up 20 minutes early and get in line. People make reservations and forget, get busy doing something else or just change their mind and don't show up or cancel their reservation. At 10 minutes until the show starts anyone can go in a sit anywhere in the venue for the show until it is full. For example we went to a sold out ice show and it never got more than 2/3 full. There were still a ton of open seats when the show started. Don't stress about it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry you've been unaware of this, but it's been this way for years on Oasis class and much of the Quantum class (for some shows).   As others have advised, make reservations right after you board, and be flexible.  The free comedy show is probably out for you because the venue is so small.

It was so much easier when you could just turn up without all the endless faff of booking every thing, every place and everywhere !!!!

All my working life I had to follow very strict timetables, now retired I don’t really want my life to be ruled by schedules.The freedom of acting on impulse has been long awaited.

Edited by Reina del Mar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Don't know emoji - Emoji - Sticker | TeePublic

Yes. Due to a size of that venue.

It is not mandatory to get in, just like with any other shows.

However due to smaller size bookings for Comedy club is even more important.

It is not something new.

2 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

It was so much easier when you could just turn up without all the endless faff of booking every thing, every place and everywhere !!!!

Of course and this is the case on all classes except for the largest,

On Quantum class you only really need reservations for show in Two70 venue. But even if you do not have it you will get there. It could be the second floor of venue or next show.

On Oasis class it is the same ,,, the only place is Comedy show due to its size.

11 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

All my working life I had to follow very strict timetables, now retired I don’t really want my life to be ruled by schedules.The freedom of acting on impulse has been long awaited.

You still can, just not on an Oasis class ship for the main shows:  theater production, aqua theatre, ice shows, and comedy shows.    This is due to the venue capacity being smaller than the number of passengers.    Plenty of smaller ships in Royal's fleet for impulse acting.

Edited by BobNoxious

7 minutes ago, Tatka said:

It is not something new.

All correct. I haven't done this in maybe 6 years but after booking a last minute cruise, I knew I had to do standby for the comedy club so I went down there almost an hour before the showtime to be the first in line (it was important to us, we like comedy clubs & I had a beverage to keep me company until my wife joined). This of course increased our chances of getting in and we did along with maybe 10 other people. I think that was Oasis. Where there's a will there's a way.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tatka said:

It is not something new.

That: Don't know emoji - Emoji - Sticker | TeePublic was in response to why you quoted me.  My post was about having to pay to get into a show.  Not the size of the venue or anything else.

My post:  "I wasn't aware that there was a charge for any entertainment (shows), including Comedy shows.  Has that changed, too?"

Your post that quoted me:  "On some ships you always needed to reserve shows. For example Comedy show. For this show reservations are very important as venue is small. If you do not book let's say main show like Mamma Mia (on Oasis or Quantum class) you can just show up and there will be a space as theater is large and people already have been watching it for many years so repeaters are likely to show up. I think they even removed reservations for those (but not for two70 shows like Spectra's cabaret)." 

What does that have to do with my post?  I don't get it.

4 hours ago, JupiterTwo said:

I was on the Allure two weeks ago. They were scanning SeaPass cards at the door to ensure that those with reservations got to enter the theater.

That said, Sunday's (Day 1) late show (that I attended) was lightly attended. My wife was falling asleep and left at intermission. We went back to see act 2 on Monday night's late show and the theater was full.

This was also our experience on Allure, first week of April (sold out sailing). We had reservations for the first night's show - the 8pm one - and it did not fill up completely so people were let in from the standby line.

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

Well, that time would have been before 2004- when we first sailed the Adventure of the Seas, and we required paper tickets to get into the ice show.  And at that time, that meant standing in line to get them just after boarding.

But there's no real requirement for you to follow the schedule- even though the show will start even if you show up late.  Heck, there's no requirement that you even cruise.  You can be free out in your backyard.  Too bad that if you want to see a show in your home town, you will be ruled by a darned schedule.  It's not all that common that you can demand a show to start on your impulse....

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

"I have worked a lifetime to finally be free of servitude." (Season 1, Episode 7, Mandalorian, Quill)

According to the Royal Caribbean App you can book on board from 12noon for three hours at a box office they've opened in Blaze on boarding day.

Or you can book through the app once on board.

Screenshot_20230504_222357_Royal.thumb.jpg.852938785286172dd407198b3fe0371c.jpg

12 hours ago, jlewisrn said:

I have cruised on Royal Caribbean several times and I have never had to reserve shows ahead of time. I received my email for pre check in but didn’t have my passport on me. I did it 2 days later. I was playing around on the app and saw that the shows needed to be reserved. Every. Single. Show. Every. Single. Night. Is already booked up. I guess there is a comedy show we can pay for but I don’t really want to pay for it. I’m so frustrated. Are there more tickets available when we get on the ship? We are on Allure May 21. I’m pretty bummed and it may stop be from going on this ship again. This is the most I’ve paid for a cruise and may not even get get a show. 

I’ll clarify…. I’m not ranting I’m confused. I am traveling on the allure. The comedy shows says “ prices available before finalizing the reservation” none of the other shows say this so it would be assumed there is a price for the show. If the app doesn’t say there are seats left to book on the ship then how is one supposed to know. It just says “sold out”. I’ve traveled Royal Caribbean within the last 3 years and just walked into the shoes. I didn’t even wait in a line. We just found seats. I’ve traveled 2 other times and that was the case as well. 

7 hours ago, barbeyg said:

Sorry you've been unaware of this, but it's been this way for years on Oasis class and much of the Quantum class (for some shows).   As others have advised, make reservations right after you board, and be flexible.  The free comedy show is probably out for you because the venue is so small.

For the comedy show The app says “price available before finalizing the reservation” 

8 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Well, that time would have been before 2004- when we first sailed the Adventure of the Seas, and we required paper tickets to get into the ice show.  And at that time, that meant standing in line to get them just after boarding.

But there's no real requirement for you to follow the schedule- even though the show will start even if you show up late.  Heck, there's no requirement that you even cruise.  You can be free out in your backyard.  Too bad that if you want to see a show in your home town, you will be ruled by a darned schedule.  It's not all that common that you can demand a show to start on your impulse....

Talk about misinterpretation!

I do not expect shows to start when I am ready but would appreciate the choice of which entertainment I would like to attend on which evening, depending on how my day has been.

Yes,  I was fortunate enough to cruise pre 2004- my first cruise was 1969, as a child!  No paper tickets on the liners I sailed on. Your experience may have been different!

There is no requirement to be rude!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jlewisrn said:

The app says “price available before finalizing reservations” 

I think you'll find that the price is $0.00 when you check out the reservation in the app.

It's the nature of the shopping cart app that there is a price as if it were a restaurant or excursion, but the price will be $0.00 at check-out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jlewisrn said:

For the comedy show The app says “price available before finalizing the reservation” 

Are you sailing in a group with special activities? Ones the group charges for?  If not, it has always been free.  My sailing on Harmony in just over a week is free.  All of the comedy shows are included in the price of the cruise for all the cruises we have been on.

7 hours ago, jlewisrn said:

I’ll clarify…. I’m not ranting I’m confused.

Well I hope the numerous posts in this thread assuring you that you will get into all the shows you want and that the comedy show is indeed free have made you less upset and less confused.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Talk about misinterpretation!

I do not expect shows to start when I am ready but would appreciate the choice of which entertainment I would like to attend on which evening, depending on how my day has been.

Yes,  I was fortunate enough to cruise pre 2004- my first cruise was 1969, as a child!  No paper tickets on the liners I sailed on. Your experience may have been different!

There is no requirement to be rude!

Well, you are the one whining about needing tickets and working on a schedule.  As if it was a brand new thing- which it's not.  And as if the lack of tickets would mean no schedule- which does not.

For someone who has cruised so long to complain about something that is pretty universal for the Oasis class ships for 14 years now, well, yea....  

21 hours ago, Biker19 said:

You still don't.

Some shows you do, such as "Spectra's Cabaret" on Anthem.

This is not a new concept so I'm confused as to why some passengers are surprised by this.  Royal isn't the only line that does this either....Norwegian does this and you have to reserve the shows 3 months out.

Regardless though, once you get onboard, more showings open up on the Royal app.  You can also go to the Box Office to reserve shows or wait in the standby line.