Elegant Night Gown

ciship

5 hours ago, awhfy said:

I love my palazzo pants & sparkly tops (& they’re so easy to pack!!)

Too fancy for me 😉

My LBTD (little black travel dress) is as fancy as I go.  It is currently a Woolx short black Tshirt dress.  Can be work day/night - just change up what I wear with it.   Last night was “dressy” night on the ship and I think I looked better than a good 80% of the people.  I only saw a handful of ladies with long dresses and they weren’t gowns.  Now, this is an Alaska cruise on HAL so the dress “standards” are definitely more casual all the time.

From the head slob…

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Too fancy for me 😉

My LBTD (little black travel dress) is as fancy as I go.  It is currently a Woolx short black Tshirt dress.  Can be work day/night - just change up what I wear with it.   Last night was “dressy” night on the ship and I think I looked better than a good 80% of the people.  I only saw a handful of ladies with long dresses and they weren’t gowns.  Now, this is an Alaska cruise on HAL so the dress “standards” are definitely more casual all the time.

From the head slob…

Kat, you are not a slob.  And yes, Alaska cruises are usually much more casual than some other itineraries.

4 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I don't know Soma -- I guess it's something we don't have here.  I don't go to Dillard's often (kinda out of my way), but I will give it a shot; I'll check them out online right now.  

Most of my clothes come from such places -- or Ebay.  I can always find a great selection at low prices, so why should I pay more?  I have a couple favorite brands with sizes that're sure, and I mostly stick to them.  

It's not my favorite thing, but you're absolutely not going to be inappropriate if you dress "elegantly".  

You and I are opposites.  At 4'11", I always have to hem things.  

Those would fit in well on most cruise ship's "formal nights".  

I used to enjoy Dress Barn, but they're gone from my area now.  I find that odd because I live in a booming area!  Seriously, housing, retail and industrial areas pop up overnight here, and our roads need widening.  So how'd they go out of biz?  

Hate 'em.  Being short, they're totally wrong for me.  Though my height/weight are proportional, I'd look like a little fire hydrant ... wide and short.  

Dress Barn filed for chapter 11 a couple of years ago; they’re gone. I got several evening formals from them

4 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I don't know Soma -- I guess it's something we don't have here.  I don't go to Dillard's often (kinda out of my way), but I will give it a shot; I'll check them out online right now.  

Most of my clothes come from such places -- or Ebay.  I can always find a great selection at low prices, so why should I pay more?  I have a couple favorite brands with sizes that're sure, and I mostly stick to them.  

It's not my favorite thing, but you're absolutely not going to be inappropriate if you dress "elegantly".  

I used to enjoy Dress Barn, but they're gone from my area now.  I find that odd because I live in a booming area!  Seriously, housing, retail and industrial areas pop up overnight here, and our roads need widening.  So how'd they go out of biz?  

Hate 'em.  Being short, they're totally wrong for me.  Though my height/weight are proportional, I'd look like a little fire hydrant ... wide and short.  

Soma is a lingerie store, lovely pjs & fabulous bras

8 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

A FIRE HYDRANT!!!??  That's hilarious.  My TA's about 4'11", she'll like this.  I guess there's little red in your wardrobe???  

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, jsn55 said:

A FIRE HYDRANT!!!??  That's hilarious.  My TA's about 4'11", she'll like this.  I guess there's little red in your wardrobe???  

No, I love red and other bright colors!  

I'm saying I WOULD look like a fire hydrant if I wore those wide-legged pants.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 5:59 PM, ciship said:

Ladies, where are you ordering or getting your dresses for formal night?  I can't find anything I like.  I've tried Amazon, Shein, Nordstrom, Dillards, Macy's, etc.  HELP!!

It's likely too late to help you, but... JJ's House.  Beautifully constructed gowns of every style and colour.  You can even search by particular features, like length, silhouette, sleeve length, etc. Follow the size chart on each gown...it's pretty accurate  I ended up buying a bunch, and only one of the bunch had a fitting problem (needed the shoulders taken up and the cuffs tightened)  You can pay for regular sizes, a bit extra for custom measurements or the best deals of the century, samples!!! (which is what I end up getting, cause I love a bargain)   The selection of samples may be limited in the sizes and colours available but man!  they are so inexpensive and because they are ready to go, they ship really quickly.  (in just days to the UK...not sure about the US)  People submit reviews, sometimes with photos, so you can see what they look like on real people.   I sound like a commercial, but this place has been such a great shopping experience for me! (which is a rare, rare thing)

On 5/20/2023 at 7:14 AM, Milaandra said:

It's likely too late to help you, but... JJ's House.  Beautifully constructed gowns of every style and colour.  You can even search by particular features, like length, silhouette, sleeve length, etc. Follow the size chart on each gown...it's pretty accurate  I ended up buying a bunch, and only one of the bunch had a fitting problem (needed the shoulders taken up and the cuffs tightened)  You can pay for regular sizes, a bit extra for custom measurements or the best deals of the century, samples!!! (which is what I end up getting, cause I love a bargain)   The selection of samples may be limited in the sizes and colours available but man!  they are so inexpensive and because they are ready to go, they ship really quickly.  (in just days to the UK...not sure about the US)  People submit reviews, sometimes with photos, so you can see what they look like on real people.   I sound like a commercial, but this place has been such a great shopping experience for me! (which is a rare, rare thing)

Not the OP but thank you for this recommendation! I've never gone very formal but considering it for my next cruise just for fun and was having the hardest time finding any selection in what I was looking for. This site is so fun to browse!

For other Americans, per the site the cheapest US shipping is:

special discount shipping 7-14 days fromUS$ 12.00
  • Like 1

I have purchased several long evening dresses on Amazon. Maybe try narrowing your search again? They have a huge selection and I can usually find something under $100. I belong to an organization that holds a formal dinner at convention twice a year, so I've built up a little collection 🙂

I will usually order 4-5 styles that I like and try them on, and then return the ones that I don't like. Here's some I have purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2RIHQD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CKRP6CC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09VRWM82D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PXX4CVW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R48G14Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G1DFQWQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 3:45 PM, awhfy said:

Dress Barn filed for chapter 11 a couple of years ago; they’re gone. I got several evening formals from them

Dress Barn was taken online. Same company that runs Dress Barn also has Pier One and Steinmart in one way or another. 

They only carry about 3 evening dresses. Much different than the original store!

38 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

Dress Barn was taken online. Same company that runs Dress Barn also has Pier One and Steinmart in one way or another. 

They only carry about 3 evening dresses. Much different than the original store!

That’s too bad, they were all great stores. I didn’t know they were still even on line 

• 2 weeks later...

Go to your local charity thrift stores.  Sometimes you can find a jewel there.   Where I live, the “ladies who lunch” will donate their evening clothes for a tax deduction.   If I ever have to get something very formal, I’d go there first.   We also have a consignment shop that is too rich for me - I know a few Real Housewives use the place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/27/2023 at 9:11 PM, no1racefan1 said:

I have purchased several long evening dresses on Amazon. Maybe try narrowing your search again? They have a huge selection and I can usually find something under $100. I belong to an organization that holds a formal dinner at convention twice a year, so I've built up a little collection 🙂

I will usually order 4-5 styles that I like and try them on, and then return the ones that I don't like. Here's some I have purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2RIHQD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CKRP6CC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09VRWM82D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PXX4CVW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R48G14Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G1DFQWQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some of those were quite nice ... and none of the dreaded "little black dresses" in sight.  I do the "order a couple things with the intent of returning" thing too.  It's especially easy now that you can return Amazon purchases to Kohl's.  And Kohl's gives you a coupon for the next time you shop in their store.  

On 5/27/2023 at 10:48 PM, mrgabriel said:

I didn't know they were still online.   

Yes, we lost Pier One and Steinmart too.  I didn't think Steinmart was any great loss, but I do miss Pier One.  

19 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Go to your local charity thrift stores.  Sometimes you can find a jewel there.   Where I live, the “ladies who lunch” will donate their evening clothes for a tax deduction.   If I ever have to get something very formal, I’d go there first.   We also have a consignment shop that is too rich for me - I know a few Real Housewives use the place.

I always make "buying used" my first stop.  It's such a sensible option.  

• Like 1

Oh, I loved Stein Mart! Pier One had nice things too and I miss both places. I had both stores very close by. Actually, Stein Mart HQ was also started in my city. I loved that place.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

On my 3rd cruise (roughly 20 years ago)  I could not find a single formal gown that “spoke“ to me.  So I went to a fabric shop and bought some material that was just magical. I have never seen fabric like it since.  I hired a seamstress and described a dress I dreamed of. She expertly created my vision.  The material was a thin, vertically ribbed material with silver threads that clung to my body and shimmered all the colors of the rainbow when I moved.  The front was straight across from shoulder to shoulder and plunged in a wide, deep V in the back and snapped with a small silver Lemay bow at the small of my back.  It was form fitting and I never felt more beautiful than when I wore that dress.

Sadly, when I returned home, I carefully took the dress to the dry cleaners to be cleaned, where they put that delicate fabric into the pressing machine and returned to me a colorless and completely transparent ghost of that dress’s former magnificence (DOH!)..  At least I had the one night.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, HopefulCruiser123 said:

On my 3rd cruise (roughly 20 years ago)  I could not find a single formal gown that “spoke“ to me.  So I went to a fabric shop and bought some material that was just magical. I have never seen fabric like it since.  I hired a seamstress and described a dress I dreamed of. She expertly created my vision.  The material was a thin, vertically ribbed material with silver threads that clung to my body and shimmered all the colors of the rainbow when I moved.  The front was straight across from shoulder to shoulder and plunged in a wide, deep V in the back and snapped with a small silver Lemay bow at the small of my back.  It was form fitting and I never felt more beautiful than when I wore that dress.

Sadly, when I returned home, I carefully took the dress to the dry cleaners to be cleaned, where they put that delicate fabric into the pressing machine and returned to me a colorless and completely transparent ghost of that dress’s former magnificence (DOH!)..  At least I had the one night.

Aw, what a freakin' shame.  I know what you're saying ... when you feel like you could stop traffic in a gown, the world's a wonderful place.  I've always made my own evening gowns, a simple halter top backless full-length dress and a wrap in a gorgeous fabric.  I'm too tall to just go buy a gown, and I wouldn't spend that kind of money on something to wear anyway.  I'd suggest you try again ... but we both know that probably wouldn't work.  Do you have a photo from that glorious night?

52 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Aw, what a freakin' shame.  I know what you're saying ... when you feel like you could stop traffic in a gown, the world's a wonderful place.  I've always made my own evening gowns, a simple halter top backless full-length dress and a wrap in a gorgeous fabric.  I'm too tall to just go buy a gown, and I wouldn't spend that kind of money on something to wear anyway.  I'd suggest you try again ... but we both know that probably wouldn't work.  Do you have a photo from that glorious night?

No, unfortunately no photos.  I remember people lining up for formal night photos and we skipped it.   All I have of the original fabric was some neat little, tight elastic ponytail tubes the seamstress made from the same material.  I am tall too and now a lot older and nowhere near as daring as I was back then.  I guess that is why memories are so precious.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

In my experience the best place to get them are on the deep seasonal sales at the end of summer, and at the end of winter, at large department stores like Dillards and Macy’s. But you can also pick up some really amazing deals on eBay if you are super careful (I have gotten some amazing stuff that way), it’s also a place to find very lightly used mother of the brides dresses and prom dresses that will substitute formal dresses

Edited by AlohaLivin