Crew nationality on nametag

Naismith

When I was younger, I read Robert Heinlein's book, PODKAYNE OF MARS.  It was a silly, sexist book in many ways, but one of Podkayne's goals in a resort setting was to be able to say "thank you" in the language of everyone who serves her.  

I thought that was a very good idea, and so I have tried to apply it throughout my life.  And it really does have some benefits.  When my older sister had an issue with her cell phone, we made the call on speaker so that all three sisters could listen and advise as necessary.  When we got to the end, I said "Salamat," knowing that the company's customer service hires a lot of Filipino workers.  It was like magic:  He perked up, asked if he could help with anything else....and my sisters started at me--what was that word?

On our last cruise (another line) we had a waiter from Macedonia; I saw the flag on his tag, and was able to remember the appropriate word.  

Sometimes I can guess the nationality by a common first name.  But not always, and with so many Indonesians and Filipino on HAL, it really would be nice to have that indicated in some way.  On one HAL cruise, up in the buffet, I said,  "Terimah kasih!" and the server corrected me that he was Filipino.

Other lines do this, it would seem to take little effort and would be a plus for me.

• Like 1

HAL for many years has had national flags on crew name tags. They indicate the language that particular crew member is fluent in besides English, so you will see a lot of Dutch, Spanish, Italian, German, and French flags behind a name. That's as close as they've come to identifying a particular crew member's nationality which it really doesn't

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Naismith said:

When I was younger, I read Robert Heinlein's book, PODKAYNE OF MARS.  It was a silly, sexist book in many ways, but one of Podkayne's goals in a resort setting was to be able to say "thank you" in the language of everyone who serves her.  

I thought that was a very good idea, and so I have tried to apply it throughout my life.  And it really does have some benefits.  When my older sister had an issue with her cell phone, we made the call on speaker so that all three sisters could listen and advise as necessary.  When we got to the end, I said "Salamat," knowing that the company's customer service hires a lot of Filipino workers.  It was like magic:  He perked up, asked if he could help with anything else....and my sisters started at me--what was that word?

On our last cruise (another line) we had a waiter from Macedonia; I saw the flag on his tag, and was able to remember the appropriate word.  

Sometimes I can guess the nationality by a common first name.  But not always, and with so many Indonesians and Filipino on HAL, it really would be nice to have that indicated in some way.  On one HAL cruise, up in the buffet, I said,  "Terimah kasih!" and the server corrected me that he was Filipino.

Other lines do this, it would seem to take little effort and would be a plus for me.

Maybe we could get the line to also put the passengers name and nationality on a name tag. Reminds one of something done during the 1940's. Not a great idea for either passenger nor crew.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest ldtr
10 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Maybe we could get the line to also put the passengers name and nationality on a name tag. Reminds one of something done during the 1940's. Not a great idea for either passenger nor crew.

Other cruise lines, such as Princess, do list crew nationality on their name tags. Does not appear to create any problems. It does provide opportunity for guest to discuss their home country with them, which the crew seem to enjoy.

19 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Other cruise lines, such as Princess, do list crew nationality on their name tags. Does not appear to create any problems. It does provide opportunity for guest to discuss their home country with them, which the crew seem to enjoy.

This is what I like it for. I love to travel and if I've been to a country I see a crew member is from I like to discuss it with them. Ditto for a country I haven't been to but want to 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Genuine interest is “hi, where are you from?”  😉

Not sure I understand your point. Are you suggesting to ask that of all crew members you see?

Because, if so, that certainly wouldn't work for the OP. Often they are really busy and don't have time to chat, but saying a kind word in their native tongue can be done quickly.

Similarly for me. A server might be busy and I'll wait to talk to them about where they are from.

That being said, there have certainly been times when I've straight up asked where they are from.

31 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Not sure I understand your point. Are you suggesting to ask that of all crew members you see?

Because, if so, that certainly wouldn't work for the OP. Often they are really busy and don't have time to chat, but saying a kind word in their native tongue can be done quickly.

Similarly for me. A server might be busy and I'll wait to talk to them about where they are from.

That being said, there have certainly been times when I've straight up asked where they are from.

I don’t know why it is important where someone is from unless you are genuinely interested in engaging with them.  The rest is fluff. 

• Like 2

Just now, Mary229 said:

I don’t know why it is important where someone is from unless you are genuinely interested in engaging with them.  The rest is fluff. 

I think people have given you at least 2 reasons. The OP likes to say thanks in their native languages. I enjoy talking about their native country if it's someplace I've been to.

I know mine is genuine and I'll take the OP at their word that theirs is also.

Travel is a passion of mine and I enjoy talking about it. I've found that people in general, not just crew on a ship, enjoy talking about their homeland.

Not sure where you see the problem, or why you are implying the interest isn't genuine.

Are you saying you never make small talk and all of your conversations convey critical info?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

I think people have given you at least 2 reasons. The OP likes to say thanks in their native languages. I enjoy talking about their native country if it's someplace I've been to.

I know mine is genuine and I'll take the OP at their word that theirs is also.

Travel is a passion of mine and I enjoy talking about it. I've found that people in general, not just crew on a ship, enjoy talking about their homeland.

Not sure where you see the problem, or why you are implying the interest isn't genuine.

Are you saying you never make small talk and all of your conversations convey critical info?

In my business I more often dealt with people of other nationalities and I learned and acknowledged their etiquette.  I have no need to know everything about every crew member, I don’t need to stare at their chest before acknowledging gratefulness 

9 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

In my business I more often dealt with people of other nationalities and I learned and acknowledged their etiquette.  I have no need to know everything about every crew member, I don’t need to stare at their chest before acknowledging gratefulness 

And I *think* you are saying you agree with me and the OP because we def don't think you need to stare at someone's chest before acking gratefulness.

So we are all on the same page ...

Once did a talk for Toastmasters called "Around the World in 80 Words". During my own far ranging travels, I always tried to get to know about 80 words for each country I traveled in.

Critical words like simply knowing the words for the mens and ladies restrooms, and numbers for money, prices, addresses and time schedules. Exit and Entrance signs that needed to be read. And of course, yes, no, hello, thank you, it is beautiful and it is very nice. Just "murmuring words" in passing, never enough to carry on a conversation.

Of course today, there is a lot of digital translation available and thee growing use of universal symbols and the still global ubiquity of ESL for the travel standard. But it was fun trying to get inside a new language when a visitor in another country.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Once did a talk for Toastmasters called "Around the World in 80 Words". During my own far ranging travels, I always tried to get to know about 80 words for each country I traveled in.

Critical words like simply knowing the words for the mens and ladies restrooms, and numbers for money, prices, addresses and time schedules. Exit and Entrance signs that needed to be read. And of course, yes, no, hello, thank you, it is beautiful and it is very nice. Just "murmuring words" in passing, never enough to carry on a conversation.

Of course today, there is a lot of digital translation available and thee growing use of universal symbols and the still global ubiquity of ESL for the travel standard. But it was fun trying to get inside a new language when a visitor in another country.

Agree 100%...but beyond fun, I think it's also  politeness. You are a visitor in their country and should make some effort to learn their language.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Agree 100%...but beyond fun, I think it's also  politeness. You are a visitor in their country and should make some effort to learn their language.

So on a Holland America ship, registered in Holland, we should say 'Bedankt' as we are all vistors on 'Dutch territory' and where someone is from is irrelevant.

• Like 1

I try not to engage in conversation with the crew, other than a polite greeting.They have enough to do without conversing with the guests. They are on a very tight schedule. There are plenty of guests who enjoy conversation with strangers and they have the free time to do so.

Edited by BobbiSox
clarification
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, BobbiSox said:

I try not to engage in conversation with the crew, other than a polite greeting.They have enough to do without conversing with the guests. They are on a very tight schedule. There are plenty of guests who enjoy conversation with strangers and they have the free time to do so.

We are the same way.

On a HAL cruise last year, we were in the Explorers lounge I think midmorning (busy but not crazy) , where the servers in there do seem to have a bit more time to engage in chats. Beside us was a lady rolling through umpteen pictures on her phone to show the server from the  previous  day's excursion. The poor server had quite a difficult time politely extracting herself to get back to serving others. The funniest part to me was thinking how many pictures from Port XYZ has this poor server had to look at comment on like it is something new.

I do think it is part of their job to engage with passengers, but it really help if passengers are more aware of how long of an answer is appropriate to  "so what did you do yesterday in port?"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BobbiSox said:

I actually agree with this. I engage with bartenders primarily and then somewhat with room steward and waiters.

But my comments above about wanting to know where they are from is strictly for bartenders.

I thought it was odd that the nametags didn't have countries on them.  We've sailed on many lines for many years, and never noticed tags that didn't include countries on the nametag.  Is this something new with Holland?  We hadn't sailed Holland for 20 years prior to our NS TA last month.

• Like 1

politeness is a universal language.  We always acknowledge servers with a short respectful thank you.  Yes, they are extremely busy, with little time to talk, but when a server shows interest in chatting, we do.  Saying thank you in their language would be nice, but I just think they appreciate us showing them respect.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

I thought it was odd that the nametags didn't have countries on them.  We've sailed on many lines for many years, and never noticed tags that didn't include countries on the nametag.  Is this something new with Holland?  We hadn't sailed Holland for 20 years prior to our NS TA last month.

HAL's crew name tags have never had countries on them, unlike (unless I'm wrong) RCI and Princess! They do however, at times have national colors/small flags on them! As explained, the national flags you will see - and that continues today - behind a name indicates the language (besides English) that particular HAL crew member can speak! So, you'll find Dutch, Spanish, German, French, Portuguese, Italian and Greek flags behind names for that purpose. Those are the ones you will see the most. To a lesser extent, you'll sometimes see Japanese, and Chinese (PRC) flags on name tags because, at times, you'll find Chinese employees in the gift shops, and I've had my hair cut by a hairdresser from Japan once.

When a HAL crew member comes onboard for his/her first contract, the first person they will see is the ship's HRM (Human Resources Manager), who will meet them as a group (or as individual, depends) on the dock/in the terminal. The HRM will lead the group up the gangway and to a meeting room (crew mess/training room/half moon room, etc.) where the newly embarked crew will get an orientation with speeches from the captain, the hotel general manager, the senior nurse, the environmental officer, the security officer and the safety officer, usually in that order.

They - the crew - will be handed a personal information/personal property inventory form at that meeting/orientation to fill out, and one of the questions on that form is if they are proficient in a language other then English. If they answer Yes and identify that language, the crew officer (think crew purser) will have the flag of the country that represents that language affixed behind the name of that individual on their name plate. Hope that 'splains the origin of the flags on HAL crew member name plates 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4