Speciality dining package - substitute courses?

gregluk

With the speciality dining package where you get a fixed set of courses at À la carte restaurants (like 1 appetizer,soup, entrée, desert etc ) are they flexible normally? For example say you didn't want an appetizer , could you get an extra desert or something else? 

Been looking at Cagney's steakhouse as an example and don't understand why all the appetizers are seafood based. Seems a bit unusual.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gregluk said:

With the speciality dining package where you get a fixed set of courses at À la carte restaurants (like 1 appetizer,soup, entrée, desert etc ) are they flexible normally? For example say you didn't want an appetizer , could you get an extra desert or something else? 

Been looking at Cagney's steakhouse as an example and don't understand why all the appetizers are seafood based. Seems a bit unusual.

Honestly it depends sometimes on the staff, I have never tried but have heard some say yes and some say no…maybe someone will have more insight 

16 minutes ago, gregluk said:

As mentioned, experiences can vary.  We have been able to pick a soup and a salad rather than an appetizer in the past.  SIL did this at Cagney's earlier this year getting the Onion Soup and the Caesar Salad, rather than one of the seafood apps.

23 minutes ago, gregluk said:

There have been recent threads on this topic with some reporting that staff are clamping down on the number of things you can get. As others have said, it seems to depend on who your server is. I doubt there'd be a problem with getting two appetizers or desserts instead of other items, but I do think they are no longer allowing someone to order a large steak + a baked potato + an onion soup + a salad + 2 appetizers, etc. It seems to be one of each (so if you skipped one course you might get two of another). My wife is vegetarian (no seafood, either) and she had no trouble getting multiple veggie dishes at Cagney's last December.

I am allergic to seafood, and on my last cruise. I was a bit confused too why all the appetizers were seafood.  I mentioned it to the server and she said I could have a salad or soup as my appetizer.  That was fine, except for the fact that I don’t understand why all of the appetizers are seafood.    I really think this needs to be changed.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2023 at 10:01 PM, curlstravel said:

I am allergic to seafood, and on my last cruise. I was a bit confused too why all the appetizers were seafood.  I mentioned it to the server and she said I could have a salad or soup as my appetizer.  That was fine, except for the fact that I don’t understand why all of the appetizers are seafood.    I really think this needs to be changed.

Were you at the seafood restaraunt?

On 5/6/2023 at 10:13 PM, Rycheff said:

Were you at the seafood restaraunt?

Cagney's apps are all seafood...at least on Joy. I'm pretty sure all Cagney's are like this. Go get your steak...but first, have some meat of the sea.

On 5/6/2023 at 11:16 PM, redmomof4 said:

No, I believe this is at Cagneys. The new menu only has shellfish and tuna as options for appetizers. At the steakhouse?!?!

I know!   Drives me crazy.    On the Jewel in August, I am going to ask to get my appetizer from Moderno as I have read that is allowed.   

• Like 3

When we were in the Escape Le Bistro in April, the waiter informed us "you can order two items from the left side of the menu plus one entree and one dessert."  The left side of the menu was the appetizers, soups and salads.  Several others have also reported being able to skip the appetizer and get soup and salad.  I don't think I have seen anyone report trying to skip first or second course for an extra dessert.  I have no idea if that is possible.   And the only way to get an extra entree is pay for it.

13 hours ago, Ramblin and Gamblin said:

When we were in the Escape Le Bistro in April, the waiter informed us "you can order two items from the left side of the menu plus one entree and one dessert."  The left side of the menu was the appetizers, soups and salads.  

This was my experience also. Aboard last week. 

The whole thing is ridiculous.  Has been since 2015.  Go out to dinner with a package and immediately told you are limited. So much for a relaxing vacation that you paid for. Can't dish up an extra cup of soup sitting in vat that is free in buffet the next day?

• Like 1

Yes, I don't like this inflexibility either. Wasn't a problem on Royal but the last time we cruised was 2019. I don't eat dessert and don't like meat so I usually orders appetizer, soup, salad, appetizer for main course especially in a steakhouse. Put me in the minority that is glad to have a seafood option. My complaint is always the opposite, why all the meat?

On 5/11/2023 at 12:46 AM, happy cruzer said:

How about onion rings as a starter? Then soup or salad and an entree. How many sides are allowed?  I could see wanting to order one of the potatoes, onion rings, spinach and broccoli.  Probably skip dessert.

No experience ordering extra sides in the restaurants that list them?  Thanks.