Does NCL ever discount if you stay on a ship when they disembark?

I know the answer is likely no but figured I would ask. If you are on the ship, can you speak to a NCL rep about staying on for an additional sailing? I have no status with NCL and I'm fine with the cheapest room. I'm just looking at something that could help me avoid flying if I stay on the ship to do 1 more cruise. 

53 minutes ago, UnbridledEnthusiasm said:

I know the answer is likely no but figured I would ask. If you are on the ship, can you speak to a NCL rep about staying on for an additional sailing? I have no status with NCL and I'm fine with the cheapest room. I'm just looking at something that could help me avoid flying if I stay on the ship to do 1 more cruise. 

Why not book a second cruise before you board the first cruise, ie, a back-to-back cruise.

We've actually been offered discounted cruises if we stayed on but that was years ago.  That was also a time when you could just show up at the pier with a suitcase and see if there were any cabins available.

Nowadays, between security issues and manifests and pretty much sailing full, I can would think that you would not be able to stay onboard for the next cruise unless you had already booked it.  But, I guess you could go to Cruisenext and ask if you can book it.  Worse case, they say no.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, UnbridledEnthusiasm said:

I'm cheap

The only way I know of is to book both cruises at the same time.  Neither will be discounted.  Discounts don't happen.  But  you will avoid paying two airfares.  The advantage is you will know you have a second cruise and  you can possibly get the same room for each cruise.  But, no, the days of negotiating a discount at the port or on the ship left a long time ago.  

• Like 1

You can book at the prevailing rate if there are cabins available.  No special discount but sometimes last minute bookings are cheaper.  Quite a few people were doing this last year when ships weren't full - and they got some great deals.  And if you book onboard, you do get a slight bump up (inside, OV, balcony only) so a better cabin.  You can also try to negotiate CruiseNext certificates, although those purchases aren't usually processed until after a cruise.

Some of the CruiseNext folks are quite creative, some are relatively clueless, so you might have to make suggestions, based on replies here, to get the best value.  Good luck!

• Like 1

knowing ncl, they will not discount your cabin regardless of your desire to stay for the next sailing. you also have to consider the availability of cabins. if you try this, it's better to go to guest services on the 1st day of your actual cruise, and see if this is even possible.

you may be cheap, but the cliche "pennywise/dollar foolish" definitely applies here. 

we do b2b a great number of times, and ALWAYS book the cabin prior to sailing. I make sure we get the same cabin for both legs of the cruise, this way it avoids the hassle/ pain in the a** of packing  up and changing cabins.

on the 2nd leg of the cruise, again go to guest services, about 11:00 a.m. or so, and get them to redo your room keys.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, complawyer said:

knowing ncl, they will not discount your cabin regardless of your desire to stay for the next sailing. you also have to consider the availability of cabins. if you try this, it's better to go to guest services on the 1st day of your actual cruise, and see if this is even possible.

Booking for another cruise would be through the CruiseNext desk, not Guest Services.

Years ago, pre 911 you could do it. You could also just show up at the terminal and try to get on the ship if there were any available cabins. Since then no.  We book b2b cruises and no discount in years for doing so. Your only choice would be to book a b2b. Since you say you are cheap and that is not an option then again your answer would be no.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

You won't get any cheaper that 1-2 weeks before sailing.

Yes, surely they know how empty the ship is and offer pricing to get it booked up an few weeks before sailing.

But do they try to fill "no show" cabins?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Yes, surely they know how empty the ship is and offer pricing to get it booked up an few weeks before sailing.

But do they try to fill "no show" cabins?

This. I speak from experience here. Every cruise I've booked in the last 10 years has been within 5 days-1 month of the sailing date. I deliberately waited when the rates were really low. That said, I'm not someone who needs a balcony or is specific about where I need the room to be located. 

Just saw that someone posted that they are onboard the Sun and a passenger came in to see if they could stay on for the next voyage and were told there were cabins available.  So, I guess it's possible to book the next voyage onboard if there are cabins.

OP I would suggest if you are thinking of doing this that you check with the Cruisenext desk very early in your cruise.

Good luck!

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 4:17 PM, UnbridledEnthusiasm said:

You can't stay on teh ship even if you already have the following cruise booked.  The ship has to have a zero head count prior to the next cruise boarding, even back to back passengers.

It's absolutely still possible.

On our cruise to the Bahamas and Florida last September on the Breakaway, the CruiseNext desk mentioned that the following sailing had very few passengers booked and there were some deeply-discounted rates available if we wanted to stay on (unfortunately, we couldn't!)

It totally depends on how full the next sailing is, and whether there's a next sailing you can go on—if the ship is repositioning between US ports, for example, you couldn't stay on because of the Jones Act. 

You probably have to book more than 48 hours before the start of the next cruise because the manifest has to be finalized.

These days, the ships are pretty full, so I think you'd have much more luck with this in the off-season. But it can happen—just ask at the CruiseNext desk.

If you do a back-to-back cruise, of course, you'll have to get off with all the other passengers on your sailing while they clear the ship. 

Edited by dcipjr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MoCruiseFan said:

You can't stay on teh ship even if you already have the following cruise booked.  The ship has to have a zero head count prior to the next cruise boarding, even back to back passengers.

5 minutes ago, dcipjr said:

If you do a back-to-back cruise, of course, you'll have to get off with all the other passengers on your sailing while they clear the ship. 

This is incorrect.  It depends on the port.  I did B2B Bliss in April and I never set foot off the ship between the two cruises.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Not true, nor is it was the OP was asking.

Whether all passengers have to actually disembark depends on the port.  On some cruises, B2B passengers just gather in one of the restaurants or the theater.  Ship does not have to have a zero head count, just all passengers have to be accounted for.

4 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

This is incorrect.  It depends on the port.  I did B2B Bliss in April and I never set foot off the ship between the two cruises.

Ah, you're right! It does depend on the port—forgot about that.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 3:03 PM, julig22 said:

Not true, nor is it was the OP was asking.

Whether all passengers have to actually disembark depends on the port.  On some cruises, B2B passengers just gather in one of the restaurants or the theater.  Ship does not have to have a zero head count, just all passengers have to be accounted for.

EXACRTLY what was asked...

"Does NCL ever discount if you stay on a ship when they disembark?"

4 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

EXACRTLY what was asked...

"Does NCL ever discount if you stay on a ship when they disembark?"

Not only was your response incorrect, it had nothing to do with the original question DO THEY DISCOUNT...

On 5/12/2023 at 10:50 AM, MoCruiseFan said:

• Like 1