Why haven't daily gratuities gone down?

19 minutes ago, kruzgal said:

There is not the same tipping culture in the UK and I really wish Royal Caribbean would recognise this and include the wages (which is what they are) within the advertised fare. In fact I think they should do this everywhere. The fact is that people who pay tips are subsidising those who remove them. Time to make everyone pay within the cruise fare and pay proper wages. You could then tip extra for good service if you get it. 

1. No one is subsidizing anyone else. I paid the fare that was advertised. No one is subsidizing my fare.

2. I do pay gratuities when I purchase a drink where Royal charges a mandatory 18% regardless of any service I receive. 18% to hand me a beer? Are you serious? And if one purchases a drink package, gratuity is charged before service is already rendered. So, if drink package is $80/day on 7 night sailing it comes to $560. But the mandatory gratuity on that is $100.80. The daily auto-gratuity is $16/day, $112 for the week. I am not paying $212.80 when those are added together which results in $30.4/day in gratuity. No thank you. And even moreso when the service has been cut.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, kruzgal said:

There is not the same tipping culture in the UK and I really wish Royal Caribbean would recognise this and include the wages (which is what they are) within the advertised fare. In fact I think they should do this everywhere. The fact is that people who pay tips are subsidising those who remove them. Time to make everyone pay within the cruise fare and pay proper wages. You could then tip extra for good service if you get it. 

I'm not sure what you mean by the "tipping culture in the UK".  I've done a little checking into it and if the sources I've checked into from the UK are right, businesses have the OPTION of paying their employees the gratuity or they can let the employees receive cash tips from their customers.  One thing the U.K. does that the U.S. doesn't if I'm reading it right, in the UK the minimum wage is the minimum wage, not reduced because you are a server AND tips are calculated above that minimum wage, not as part of it.

We have basically the same here in the U.S.  Some employers do not allow their employees to accept tips (Publix Grocery Store Baggers as an example as my granddaughter is one of them and is not allowed to accept tips).  Go to any other grocery store that has baggers that take your groceries out to your car and they are actually working for your tips.

https://www.gov.uk/tips-at-work/tips-and-tax

37 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I'm not sure what you mean by the "tipping culture in the UK".  I've done a little checking into it and if the sources I've checked into from the UK are right, businesses have the OPTION of paying their employees the gratuity or they can let the employees receive cash tips from their customers.  One thing the U.K. does that the U.S. doesn't if I'm reading it right, in the UK the minimum wage is the minimum wage, not reduced because you are a server AND tips are calculated above that minimum wage, not as part of it.

We have basically the same here in the U.S.  Some employers do not allow their employees to accept tips (Publix Grocery Store Baggers as an example as my granddaughter is one of them and is not allowed to accept tips).  Go to any other grocery store that has baggers that take your groceries out to your car and they are actually working for your tips.

https://www.gov.uk/tips-at-work/tips-and-tax

In the UK it is illegal to pay less than the minimum wage irrespective of the job. 

It is the norm to tip full service restaurants, taxis, hairdressers,

usually 10 to 15%.

It is not the norm to tip in pubs or cafés unless you're having a full meal.  If you're a regular or have a large order you might tell the bar person to keep the change. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Maybe this has been mentioned before but I admit I haven't read through all 13 pages.

If someone purchases the UDP and the DBP which already tacks on 18% gratuity plus one leaves a cash tip directly to the room steward, why in the world in that situation would it be fair to ask one to pay the auto grats on top of all the other "gratuities", i.e. tips? Just mildly confused...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

I worked in the restaurant industry for 10 years in back of the house roles. I understand the service industry. And in my time with restaurants, I have seen sexual harassment and discrimination against the servers on my team because of the tipping culture. I have also seen the attitude of servers that didnt work as hard because they relied that they were going to be tipped regardless of the level of the service they provided. I have seen servers ignore tables where customers didnt spend as much to focus on tables where people bought drinks and more expensive menu items. This is human nature but if I go to a restaurant and get the least expensive menu options, I should receive the same level of service as people who spend more. 

On a cruise, I shouldnt be forced to pay an 18% mandatory gratuity if I buy a drink. Tipping should be optional. If I pay near $8 a beer, I shouldnt have to bay 18% extra for an already overpriced item for a mandatory tip. 

Which brings us full circle, if service is cut, the daily auto-gratuity should be decreased as well. Any argument to the contrary is just based on emotion and not logic. 

please explain sexual harassment along with tipping culture. I think i know where you are going with this but cant figure out why considering normal life. 

I get that $8 beers is a lot but i have also accepted this is normal and if I cant afford it, i either pregame or stay home. I refuse to go anywhere knowing the cost of something if i also cant tip when it is expected. 

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

In the UK it is illegal to pay less than the minimum wage irrespective of the job. 

usually 10 to 15%.

It is not the norm to tip in pubs or cafés unless you're having a full meal.  If you're a regular or have a large order you might tell the bar person to keep the change. 

really?!?!?! Holy cow. If i visited, i would assume soley according to here, that no one gets tips at all. Ever or you will be called a 'dumb american'. that is what i have learned from cc. 

5 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

really?!?!?! Holy cow. If i visited, i would assume soley according to here, that no one gets tips at all. Ever or you will be called a 'dumb american'. that is what i have learned from cc. 

I was replying to someone who asked/talked about general tipping in UK (not cruise ships).  Its different again in mainland Europe, Australia,  Japan etc, all places where cruise ships go to. 

Returning to the topic,  I would never not pay daily gratuities, in fact we always prepay them as part of the fare.  

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

As Sue @sgmn said the minimum wage is law in the UK.

The majority of us in England tip in restaurants, hairdresser's/barbers and taxis.

The norm is 5-10% of our bill.

Some restaurants put a 10% courtesy gratuity on your bill and when paying by credit card the option is there to add a gratuity or not.

All of the servers prefer cash tips because it can take a month or two for credit card tips to filter down to them.

On board I personally cash tip on top of our autogratuities and always in the speciality restaurants and to our cabin steward.

I always give $1 cash tip per drink on our D+ free drinks.

Edited by grapau27
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

I will be on the Enchantment at the end of the month and this will be our first cruise since the change in both Cleaning and Dining policies have changed and I will let you know what I think afterwards.

In the meantime, I can only suggest the following...

Pay you gratuities up front as you get them at a cheaper rate and if a employee excels and you want to reward just him, then slip him an envelope at the end of the cruise with some cash in it).

As for cleaning the room, well, my wife and I had been saying for some time that somethings got to give at some point and then Covid came along and we both thought more would be lost than just a reduction in cleaning and a change to the menu in the MDR or a slight increase in Gratuities. There are also lots of things C&A members get given that could have be taken away, but haven't.

So we prefer the cleaning of the room to take place in the morning when we have got up, had a shower and gone out for breakfast and/or ashore etc. 

If it is going to be a sea day and it is known that the weather is going to be bad then some time in the Gym may be called for to burn off that food, but remember, there are normally showers and fresh towels in the Gym for you to use, so you really don't need to return to your cabin for a shower if you can avoid it.

Now, if its going to be a sunny sea day then that may call for a dip in the pool etc. Now you will need a shower probably in your cabin, but... if you know in advance that this is what you are going to do, then you can always explain this to your cabin steward the day before and ask him to supply some extra towels for you to use and I am sure he will comply as he will want to do almost anything reasonable to please you in the hope of getting more gratuities from you at the end of your cruise.

As for the cleanliness of your room, some of you won't like this, but try treating your room like you would your own house, it is your room for a week or two so get unpacked and keep everything nice an tidy if you can. I know if you have young kids with you this may be hard, but we should all try a little harder to treat things on the ship like we would if we were at home.

At the end of the day, things in the world have gone up (no use trying to point the finger as it is what it is and we can't change it) and we just have to make the best we all can of things. Cruising is still one of the best options for a holiday when you take into consideration all the things you get such as food, entertainment, leisure/sports and if you are Diamond or above with C&A then free alcoholic drinks too.

Has anyone seen the prices for a week at Disneyland lately or what it now costs to stay in somewhere like NYC for a week when you have to pay for a hotel, city tax, food and shows. It is no wonder so many people are choosing to cruise! Some of the nice C&A perks may also be a reason for repeat cruising too of course!

Please, just enjoy it and make some new friends and enjoy everything cruising has to offer. We don't know how lucky we all are.

Mick.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

When I heard that bartender in London say "Stupid Americans" I think what he meant to say was "Ignorant Americans," as just a little research into customs and practices would have revealed what @UNCFanatik has mentioned.  

Sounds like you had a few too many jelly jars of moonshine last night while posting, as you admitted to the previous night.  When you sober up, there's quite a few websites that explain tipping practices in different countries:  you'll find that they are much different in the USA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hi,

Not sure what the rate is as my wife sorts it all, but if you pay your gratuities in full beforehand then you pay slightly less than if you pay at the end of your cruise. I think you save around 4% and like I said, if your room steward or some other crew member goes above and beyond in their duty then you can always slip them an envelope with some dollars in it at the end. That way if you have had an excellent cruise then the right people get your money. But if service is bad, then don't tip any extra and you have saved 4% and this way you avoid going to join the long queue at Guest Services wasting your valuable cruise time when you could be enjoying your holiday with a beer!. Unless its really bad and you really want to remove them. We have never had to remove ours in over 25 cruises and some have been better than others but with no cause to complain that much as most things can get sorted if you keep calm and speak to the staff nicely.

BTW Paying up front pre-paid gratuities also entitles you to My Time Dining and I do believe you cannot get this service without paying up front. So you save on gratuities and get a meal in the MDR at the time you want to eat too!

Mick.

Edited by Mick B

3 minutes ago, Mick B said:

Hi,

Not sure what the rate is as my wife sorts it all, but if you pay your gratuities in full beforehand then you pay slightly less than if you pay at the end of your cruise. I think you save around 4% and like I said, if your room steward or some someone else goes above and beyond in their duty then you can always slip them an envelope with some dollars in it at the end. That way if you have had an excellent cruise then the right people get your money. But if service is bad, then don't tip any extra and you have saved 4% and this way you avoid going to join the long queue at Guest Services wasting your valuable cruise time when you could, be enjoying your holiday. Unless its really bad and you want to remove them. We have never had to remove ours in over 25 cruises.

BTW Paying up front pre-paid gratuities also entitles you to My Time Dining and I do believe you cannot get this service without paying up front. So you save on gratuities and get a meal in the MDR at the time you want to eat too!

Mick.

I wonder if that's something arranged through your TA.  We've always paid standard gratuities ahead of time, never gotten a discount.  

I believe when MTD first came out, you had to pre-pay your gratuities, not sure that's still the case.

11 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

please explain sexual harassment along with tipping culture. I think i know where you are going with this but cant figure out why considering normal life. 

I get that $8 beers is a lot but i have also accepted this is normal and if I cant afford it, i either pregame or stay home. I refuse to go anywhere knowing the cost of something if i also cant tip when it is expected. 

Because servers have to put up with customers who are inappropriate with them in order to get a tip. If, for example, a female server gets hit on by a customer is likely to tolerate it because if she speaks out, she will not get a tip. It encourages bad behavior by customers who treat servers poorly to begin with because they control the tip. 

I get that the drink prices on a cruise or a special event venue like a concert are inflated because of a captive audience and convenience but at least if I am at a Styx, I am dating myself..lol, I can just spend $8 on a beer and not get $1.44 tacked on top of the beer for a mandatory gratuity. 

The problem is that tipping in the US is becoming more "expected" even in quick service restaurants and as I mentioned before at self checkout kiosks

1 hour ago, MD_Dan said:

I thought the purpose of this board is to share information - not to just have a dialog with someone on a random topic!

My observations of this thread include someone saying something provocative and then people making provocative replies.  The cycle never ends.  It becomes like comments in a newspaper (or blog) where a few posters get in a "tit-for-tat".  After everything of any value has been said multiple times, the conversation continues.  Posters feel like they have to defend their posts.  If there same posters were in a room and having a conversation, they would just walk away after a time.  Its crazy!

This will be my last post in this topic.  I grow fatigued by this thread.  I will not be following any replies.

From the infamous movie, Stripes, the words of wisdom from Sgt Hulka,

"Lighten up Francis."

It is part fact, part fiction, part storytelling, and in most cases, very entertaining.

Welcome to Cruise Critic Forums.

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

Because servers have to put up with customers who are inappropriate with them in order to get a tip. If, for example, a female server gets hit on by a customer is likely to tolerate it because if she speaks out, she will not get a tip. It encourages bad behavior by customers who treat servers poorly to begin with because they control the tip. Or a Karen!

I get that the drink prices on a cruise or a special event venue like a concert are inflated because of a captive audience and convenience but at least if I am at a Styx, I am dating myself..lol, I can just spend $8 on a beer and not get $1.44 tacked on top of the beer for a mandatory gratuity. 

The problem is that tipping in the US is becoming more "expected" even in quick service restaurants and as I mentioned before at self checkout kiosks

I've never tipped in a Mcdonald's or Burger King or Jimmy John's*.................  I tip for full service.  I'll tip the delivery person, like Doordash, which I don't use. 

* I have a grandson that works in a Jimmy John's and I don't think he has ever got a penny in tip money AND he doesn't expect it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mick B said:

Hi,

Not sure what the rate is as my wife sorts it all, but if you pay your gratuities in full beforehand then you pay slightly less than if you pay at the end of your cruise. I think you save around 4% and like I said, if your room steward or some other crew member goes above and beyond in their duty then you can always slip them an envelope with some dollars in it at the end. That way if you have had an excellent cruise then the right people get your money. But if service is bad, then don't tip any extra and you have saved 4% and this way you avoid going to join the long queue at Guest Services wasting your valuable cruise time when you could be enjoying your holiday with a beer!. Unless its really bad and you really want to remove them. We have never had to remove ours in over 25 cruises and some have been better than others but with no cause to complain that much as most things can get sorted if you keep calm and speak to the staff nicely.

Mick.

Everything you said is pretty much incorrect.  Tips are exactly the same whether you pay up front or they ad them every day:

From the website: As of September 7th, 2022, the automatic service gratuity of $16.00 USD per person, per day for guests in non-suites staterooms, or $18.50 USD per person, per day for guests in Suites, will be applied to each guest’s SeaPass account on a daily basis. The gratuity applies to individual guests of all ages and stateroom categories. Applying this charge automatically helps streamline the recognition process for the crew members that work to enhance your cruise. 

Nothing is mentioned anywhere about any discount for paying up front.  From personal experience having paid by both methods, the amount is exactly the same.

And anyone is entitled to My Time Dining at any time on any ship in the fleet.  That's why you select your dining time on your booking.  Doesn't cost anything and is not a privilege reserved for Pay up front grats.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I wonder if that's something arranged through your TA.  We've always paid standard gratuities ahead of time, never gotten a discount.  

I believe when MTD first came out, you had to pre-pay your gratuities, not sure that's still the case.

I believe you can get MTD and not pre-pay grats. I don't think it's fair for the UDP people to have to pay MDR servers. YMMV

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mick B said:

Not sure what the rate is as my wife sorts it all, but if you pay your gratuities in full beforehand then you pay slightly less than if you pay at the end of your cruise. I think you save around 4%

Biker, who wonders what else your wife has bamboozled you on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, sgmn said:

In the UK it is illegal to pay less than the minimum wage irrespective of the job. <and I believe I said that!  "One thing the U.K. does that the U.S. doesn't if I'm reading it right, in the UK the minimum wage is the minimum wage, not reduced because you are a server AND tips are calculated above that minimum wage, not as part of it."

usually 10 to 15%.

I didn't post to say what was the "NORM' at pubs or cafes.  I posted what I found to be the legal aspects of tipping in the UK.  Why?  Because some folks, throughout the years of reading these boards, tend to try to make it seem like it's the law in the UK for employers to pay their employees the tip/gratuity, and tipping is frowned upon in the UK.  And to show that the law in the UK isn't much different than here in the U.S., except that we, the people of the U.S. prefer to tip for service voluntarily, not mandatorily.  Believe me, if I went to the UK, which I have, and there were two restaurants, one next to the other, one included tips in the final bill and the other didn't, I'd go to the one that doesn't, first.  

Nothing more, nothing less.

23 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I've never tipped in a Mcdonald's or Burger King or Jimmy John's*.................  I tip for full service.  I'll tip the delivery person, like Doordash, which I don't use. 

* I have a grandson that works in a Jimmy John's and I don't think he has ever got a penny in tip money AND he doesn't expect it.

But why not tip these underpaid workers? Dont you realize its YOUR responsibility to make up for the low wages that the company is paying these workers? How can you be so cheap? How can you be stealing from these workers? What about the behind the scenes people that help fulfill your order?

Of course, I am being sarcastic but just showing the lack of logic of some on here. Their concerns only extends to SOME low wage workers but not ALL

• Like 3

I wouldn't call $12 an hour low wages for that type of job in the states....more than I was making at my office!  Many fast food places pay that wage now. California=$15.  Each state has its own although the national  is $7.25.  No state may pay lower than that.  I would never tip a fast food person.  Wage increase comes with experience and responsibility.  We tip in full service restaurants and always over tip on ships.  But don't agree with you.  That's Life, we all pay our dues.  And then move on to bigger and better things. 

2 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

But why not tip these underpaid workers? Dont you realize its YOUR responsibility to make up for the low wages that the company is paying these workers? How can you be so cheap? How can you be stealing from these workers? What about the behind the scenes people that help fulfill your order?

Of course, I am being sarcastic but just showing the lack of logic of some on here. Their concerns only extends to SOME low wage workers but not ALL

I worked in a French Restaurant in S. Florida as a kid, washing dishes.  I didn't receive any of the tips that the servers made.  There was no requirement that they did.  I fully understand that some or many restaurants do have a tip-share policy, but that's a joke, it's an honor- system.  As stated, I was the general manager within the parking industry.  The valet parking part of it had tip-share for the cashiers and other non-parking folks.  It was a joke.  I reversed it.  But, yes, I had to increase the wage to the cashiers and other no-parking folks and the turnover was reduced because of it.  We got better and happier surveys because of it, from customers.  The employees were much happier, the parkers/valets made more money because they kept all of it, although not much more because they didn't put all the tips in the jar anyway, and the cashiers, et al, were making more money.   If an employee is motivated by money, which I hope all are at least a little, they work harder for more money and customers get better service.  Where's the motivation to go above and beyond if you're income doesn't go above and beyond?  

3 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I wouldn't call $12 an hour low wages for that type of job in the states....more than I was making at my office!  Many fast food places pay that wage now. California=$15.  Each state has its own although the national  is $7.25.  No state may pay lower than that.  I would never tip a fast food person.  Wage increase comes with experience and responsibility.  We tip in full service restaurants and always over tip on ships.  But don't agree with you.  That's Life, we all pay our dues.  And then move on to bigger and better things. 

Exactly!  Fast food joints are traditionally "Entry Level" jobs.  Meaning it is probably kids that still live at home and don't pay for their living expenses, or only pay a token amount.  And being an Entry Level job, it is like an apprenticeship in life, apprentices make far less than their professional counterparts.  My Grandson makes about $15.00 per hour for about 15 - 20 hours a week during school season.  

Before labor laws, way back when, I worked for my dad, at age 12, 6 days a week in the ProShop cleaning golf clubs after the members returned from a round and maintaining the golf carts.  I did that for about $20.00 a week.  I didn't pay for any living expenses.  I'd do it all over again if I could, it was a great life-learning experience.  As an adult, I have an uncompromising work ethic, I think because of it.