Edge magic carpet suite question. Pros and cons?

Octavias

I originally posted this in the cabin questions thread but saw several people where referred to ask in the cruise line topic, so I’m asking here, hope I’m in the right place…

Hello!  We are back to shopping for my dream cruise after a long hiatus after our 2020 booking was cancelled.  I’m fairly certain we have narrowed down to which cruise ( the Alaska on the Edge round trip 7 day out of Seattle) and we would like to get into an entry level suite which I am hearing are the ones within the footprint of the magic carpet feature.  Any tips on the pros and cons of which deck/room we should shoot for?  Looks like there are 4 in a row on each deck.  As far as I can see the next level of suite is another 2k for the two of us.  (Ouch!). If possible, I’d rather use any extra funds for excursions and spa expenses.  Any input is greatly appreciated!  

I would avoid deck 12, as the Magic Carpet would feel to me like it was right above and reducing light on the balcony and the prongs on the bottom are visible when on the balcony.

The middle 2 have a nice view, the end ones do have some obstruction from the orange columns at each end of the MC.  

• Like 3

I have stayed in a middle (not end with a window on the balcony) on 9 twice. I think they are a great cabin in a convenient mid-ship location. For me, I couldn't see spending more for an S2 or S1.  The middle cabins share a vestibule with the adjacent inside cabin.  I never heard the folks in those cabins, and because of the vestibule there is zero noise from the hallway. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We have room 8210 booked on Edge for Alaska next summer. I wondered about these rooms and got good feedback from CC. We ended up picking an end balcony because of the front view and the side window offering a back view as well. I’m a little concerned by @jelayne ‘s comment about obstruction. We went for the lower deck to offset some of the overhang. Guess I will have to do a little more YouTube research regarding obstructions. Hopefully not too bad 🙃

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We have room 8210 booked on Edge for Alaska next summer. I wondered about these rooms and got good feedback from CC. We ended up picking an end balcony because of the front view and the side window offering a back view as well. I’m a little concerned by @jelayne ‘s comment about obstruction. We went for the lower deck to offset some of the overhang. Guess I will have to do a little more YouTube research regarding obstructions. Hopefully not too bad 🙃

We have sailed in 10162 twice which is a end with side window. It is our favorite one. We love having the side window gives you a good view. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

We have sailed in 10162 twice which is a end with side window. It is our favorite one. We love having the side window gives you a good view. 

We have sailed in that suite twice and a middle MC suite also.  The side window does give you a view forward but we felt the view was somewhat obstructed by the orange box.
We have that suite booked for 3 more cruises, none of which are sailings where there the view is a factor like it is for Alaska or Panama Canal.  For those our 1st choice would be a Sunset Suite, a Sunset  Veranda or a middle MC.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We had an end cabin.   The big end  box is an obstruction and the window on the end always seemed to be covered with mist making it opaque.    You can look out at others on their deck but they can also see you, many see that as a negative.   Our butler told us that some passengers with those cabins ask for something to cover the window because they want more “privacy”.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Oh my!  Would you mind elaborating on the issues?  We have 8210 booked...

Shhhsh they are fantastic the end ones with the big window forward or aft tremendous but please do not tell anyone the balconies are so small and the overhang from the magic carpet make them so closed 😱😱😎😎🍔🤡

book one but please do not tell

• Haha 4

We recently sailed in an end S3 on Beyond (Edge class). We were on deck 8. We would have preferred an end S3 with a window facing forward, but our window faced aft. We would book one of these end S3s again, especially on decks 8-10 with a window facing forward. We did not find the orange pillar/box problematic. Our window was reasonably clean (though I’d imagine it would become filmy during sea days on a TA). 

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/11/2023 at 8:50 AM, Silkroad said:

We recently sailed in an end S3 on Beyond (Edge class). We were on deck 8. We would have preferred an end S3 with a window facing forward, but our window faced aft. We would book one of these end S3s again, especially on decks 8-10 with a window facing forward. We did not find the orange pillar/box problematic. Our window was reasonably clean (though I’d imagine it would become filmy during sea days on a TA). 

Hi Silkroad,

We just received a cabin upgrade for our upcoming Alaska cruise.  We're in the first Concierge Infinity Cabin right after the last Magic Carpet Sky Suite.  Do you know how obstructed our view will be due to the MCSS sticking out further than our cabin.  I'm assuming we won't be able to see anything forward except the people on their balcony through the window to our left?

Thanks!

Bill

17 minutes ago, billandsonia said:

Hi Silkroad,

We just received a cabin upgrade for our upcoming Alaska cruise.  We're in the first Concierge Infinity Cabin right after the last Magic Carpet Sky Suite.  Do you know how obstructed our view will be due to the MCSS sticking out further than our cabin.  I'm assuming we won't be able to see anything forward except the people on their balcony through the window to our left?

Thanks!

Bill

@billandsonia, hope this helps answer your question.  If there are other concierge cabins in your category you may still be able to change if you would prefer to have a more panoramic view.  

image.thumb.jpeg.e43d9c530f3f744747e4c9588b6a9fef.jpeg

This pic is from an aft MC Sky suite window looking at your cabin class.

image.thumb.jpeg.d0e41c5f1b8b0d0ec8e95dc08151e5df.jpeg

1 hour ago, 81Zoomie said:

@billandsonia, hope this helps answer your question.  If there are other concierge cabins in your category you may still be able to change if you would prefer to have a more panoramic view.  

image.thumb.jpeg.e43d9c530f3f744747e4c9588b6a9fef.jpeg

This pic is from an aft MC Sky suite window looking at your cabin class.

image.thumb.jpeg.d0e41c5f1b8b0d0ec8e95dc08151e5df.jpeg

Exactly what I needed to see.  THANK YOU!