Internet "devices" vs users...

The cost is significantly different for me to have three users signed up for internet package vs me having one user with three devices.  Can someone explain how that works?  Is it if I have ONE user with three devices, just one device can be active at a time?  

My husband, daughter, and I want to be able to check in to our emails daily.  In theory, we could just do so with one phone... but I am thinking multiple devices is just easier?  

No problem, 1 user, 3 devices can easily be shared between three people. You will have a single log in and you can connect any 3 devices. It doesn't matter who the users are.  If you want separate logins then you have need to order it the other way.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

The cost is significantly different for me to have three users signed up for internet package vs me having one user with three devices.  Can someone explain how that works?  Is it if I have ONE user with three devices, just one device can be active at a time?  

My husband, daughter, and I want to be able to check in to our emails daily.  In theory, we could just do so with one phone... but I am thinking multiple devices is just easier?  

There are a number of different packages you could buy.

One use and one device, share amongst the 3 of you - least expensive

There device package - package, purchased by one person but will allow 3 devices to be connected at the same time. One login and password that everyone shares

Three individual packages.  Three unique packages where each person has their own log in and password and each can connect one device at a time.  Most expensive option.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

like one user, one device?

One user, 90 devices.  Doesn't matter.  Only one can log on at a time.  The next log on will bump the previous off.

• Like 2

One user with three devices is the way to go. My son and I did one user with two devices on our recent cruise and it was fine. One user and three devices means that you can have three devices logged in at a time. When a fourth device tries to log in, it will boot one of the other three devices off the internet. Supposedly you can log off one of the other three in advance by going to a website, but it doesn't seem to work very effectively from my experience.

The only "problem" since we had only two devices paid for was when I would switch from my phone to my laptop or vice versa and a third was trying to log in, it would boot him off his phone since that meant we had a third device trying to log in. He'd just log back in and I'd stay on my new device, too. I don't know why it chose him as the one to boot, rather than boot me off my phone, but it always did. So that can happen, but it's no big deal. He's a teenager and he didn't even gripe about it. 

I would think with three of you on the cruise you'd want three devices so that you can text each other on your phones, watches, etc. as you're on the ship. 

Edited by njsmom
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

like one user, one device?

we can just log in, check email, log out?

Thank you. 

If you're only going to use the service to occasionally check emails, then a one-device package will work. You will get one log in code, share it with whoever you like. You each can use that code to log in but only one person at a time.

• Like 1

Thank you for these answers. 

but now I have another question. 

there are actually five of us with phones on this trip. (But two don’t care about email, etc.). Will we not all be able to communicate with the RCCL app?  I thought as long as we all had the app we could “text” each other. Thank you. 

4 minutes ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

Will we not all be able to communicate with the RCCL app

In theory, yes.  In actuality, maybe.  The RCI app 'texting' is pretty hit-or-miss.  My wife and I gave up on it our last cruise and just used regular texting for the duration of the cruise.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

there are actually five of us with phones on this trip. (But two don’t care about email, etc.). Will we not all be able to communicate with the RCCL app?  I thought as long as we all had the app we could “text” each other. Thank you. 

Yes, you can text each other.  I used it with my daughter.  It was okay, but I didn't get a notification and then she turned the app off or something because it interfered with a game (no Wifi needed) so she didn't get the message.  The people you are texting are probably more dependable.  😀

Edited by moposh
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vacationdreamer&lt;&gt;&lt; said:

I thought as long as we all had the app we could “text” each other.

You can---you don't have to log on to the internet to use the app on wifi.

• Like 1