First time Cruiser on Grand Princess this summer

Scooley01

Hi all!  

My family (in-laws) booked an Alaska cruise for us this summer - we'll be on the Grand Princess at the end of June, Anchorage to Vancouver, with stops in Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan (plus two days of scenic cruising). I have never been on a cruise before, but my family has been on several. In fact, I only just got my passport at the beginning of this year! What are the need-to-knows? I'm a HUGE planner - I planned a big Disney World trip for myself and my spouse last summer, and we had a ton of fun! I don't know much about cruises, but I've started to do some reading. I know the family booked the Premier alcohol package for us, along with balcony rooms, but I don't know much else.

The family wants our input (tonight) on excursions and meal reservations. There are a lot of options for excursions, many of which seem to be remixes of other options. (you can have a salmon lunch, you can watch a cultural show, or you can do both at the same time, for example). Any tips on choosing excursions?

Also, any tips on where to dine on board? And what about on board shows and activities, any suggestions there?

What kind of clothing should I bring? I'm used to dressing pretty casually on a vacation, but from what I'm seeing online it seems like some folks bring suits and ties on the cruise!

Are there any items I should be purchasing ahead of time? Stuff we might need in our room or while we're on the ship? I read that most cruise lines don't allow power strips if they have surge protection...Does Princess allow any kind of power strip? Can I bring the external battery for my phone?

Any general tips or suggestions are also welcome!

Sorry for a zillion questions, but thank you in advance!!

Welcome to cruising!  I suggest you spend some time watching YouTube videos about Alaska.  Life Well Cruised is in Alaska this week.  You can also get advice and packing lists.  For ports watch the videos from Parodeejay; just type in port city name on their channel.  As for what to do, I always look first at what excursions the cruise is offering then I try to find it on my own.  Just type their title in your search engine and so much comes up.  I have only taken one cruiseline excursion in 10 years. 

I will be on the Grand in Alaska in June of 24 but I have everything decided already. My plan is to fly in to Anchorage a few days early, rent a car and visit Cooper Landing, Homer and Seward before we get to Whittier.  In Skagway, I'm doing a private van tour to the Yukon. I'm renting a car in Juneau to visit Mendenhall on our own, then going to Glacier Gardens, Shrine of St Teresa, and the brewery.  In Ketchikan I'm splurging on Flightseeing and crab feast.  

As for your cabin, the walls are metal and if you bring magnet hooks and clips you can get so much off the desk and on the walls.  Check Amazon for Cruise approved power strips.  In fact just type "Alaska cruise essentials" in Amazon. The Grand is a great old lady.  Expect a little rust and a lot of elegance.  Club One5 is a great afternoon quiet venue for looking out the windows when it is cold then going to the great aft deck for glacier viewing.  It becomes a nightclub around 11pm too!

Get the medallion class app and start exploring. The app is glitchy before you board but works fine when on the ship. Enjoy your adventure!

I’m in the minority, but the Grand is my favorite ship. The best excursion I’ve ever taken was for a floatplane over glaciers followed by a salmon feast, look for that one and splurge. On board, enjoy the late-night buffet offerings and don’t miss the International Cafe. And as much as I enjoy dressing up, very few passengers do so for Alaska. Just wear what you would to a nice restaurant. 

• Like 3

We have been on the Grand more than any other ship and its a good choice for Alaska. You have a Promenade for viewing and lower passenger count, which is better for ports like Skagway. We were on last March and still very much a capable ship.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. If you have questions beyond this, also use the search box above. Your questions have most likely been discussed before.

Though it costs more, we always book excursions with the ship because if the vendor's transportation breaks down, the ship will wait for you. If you book on your own, the ship will not wait. I have seen this happen to others twice, over about 20 cruises with different lines. 

Preparing for the cruise last year, the App was impossible to get through. Maybe it's better now. For your preboarding, use the online version. Online is working fine for our upcoming cruise. Onboard, last year, the app was utterly useless. If this is the case, don't worry, departments can rock-on old school.

You got the Premier package, you get specialty dining. Steakhouse or Italian? You choose.

Look at the Princess website for recommendations on what to wear, but the nice restaurant analogy is good. On smart casual nights, which are most nights, just don't wear shorts, t-shirt or hat/cap, or look ragged. Something nicer. Formal nights, we dress up because we enjoy it. Most dress for dinner to varying degrees, but a pretty good percentage don't. Up to you. If it's what you're asking, you rarely see tuxedos or dinner jackets anymore.

Phone charge? There was a USB port on the nightstand last year on the Grand. No surge protectors.

Hello! We have cruised to Alaska several times although not on the Crown.  A few comments to help you get ready:

Check the weather before you go and dress in layers. We have experienced both cool weather and warm weather in Alaska. Dressing in layers is helpful, as is bringing a hat and gloves (just in case).

We have found the entertainment on Princess to be pretty good with some of the production shows and comedians excellent. Princess often has live music in the piazza and the pool areas, which is nice. There are also a few venues with live music for dancing and if the Crown has Skywalkers that is basically a late night club with a dj.

Alaska cruises are casual. No need to wear a suit unless you enjoy doing so. No need to dress up; wear clothes in good repair that you find comfortable. 

As for excursions, that depends on what you and your family enjoy doing. We loved the dog sledding ride and enjoyed a through the Yukon and the railroad excursion (White Pass?). The tram ride in Juneau is ok, the Mendenhall Glacier is a good trip, the whale watching excursion we went on was fun, the lumberjack show so-so. Walking around the port areas is also interesting, especially on your first trip.

I did major planning for a trip to Disney World a long time ago and it paid off to a certain extent. On your first cruise I suggest taking a low-key approach. Some things will need to be planned/scheduled in advance, but try to save some time to explore the ship and get a taste of the various venues, restaurants, and entertainment activities. Daytime on a ship can be a bit quiet, but there is always something to do and a fun place to hang out. On our Alaska cruises there was very limited or no use of the pool as it was too chilly.

Try the gelato at the International Cafe and some of the specialty coffee drinks if you like coffee.  If you like your coffee strong ask for a ‘black eye.”  There are many varieties of martinis at Crooners and other bars, and if you are in the mood for a boozy milkshake try a dirty banana, it’s yummy.

Have a fantastic time doing as much or as little as you want!

Yes, the Crown has Skywalkers, but Scooley01 will be on the Grand, which had Skywalkers removed for balance issues. The substitute One5 bar is nice, but doesn't have the panorama view of Skywalkers, which is nice in Alaska. The Crown has The Salty Dog Gastropub. Grand doesn't, but on balance the Grand carries almost 500 fewer passengers.

Agree that just walking around the town is nice for getting the feel of any port, especially Skagway because of it's goldrush history. Bring raingear for Ketchikan where they measure rainfall in feet. The only excursion I suggest not to do is any one in Skagway that involves a stop at Liarsville, what a waste of time, and money.

I would bring good Binoculars, dress in layers, and remember you do not need to do a ship excursion in every port.  A day of just walking around town, experiencing and talking with people, and stopping in local places can be fun as well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ellipooh said:

I’m in the minority, but the Grand is my favorite ship. The best excursion I’ve ever taken was for a floatplane over glaciers followed by a salmon feast, look for that one and splurge. On board, enjoy the late-night buffet offerings and don’t miss the International Cafe. And as much as I enjoy dressing up, very few passengers do so for Alaska. Just wear what you would to a nice restaurant. 

I was on the Grand in Dec of 2021 and it was a great ship! Very pleased.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 12:24 PM, Scooley01 said:

Hi all!  

My family (in-laws) booked an Alaska cruise for us this summer - we'll be on the Grand Princess at the end of June, Anchorage to Vancouver, with stops in Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan (plus two days of scenic cruising). I have never been on a cruise before, but my family has been on several. In fact, I only just got my passport at the beginning of this year! What are the need-to-knows? I'm a HUGE planner - I planned a big Disney World trip for myself and my spouse last summer, and we had a ton of fun! I don't know much about cruises, but I've started to do some reading. I know the family booked the Premier alcohol package for us, along with balcony rooms, but I don't know much else.

The family wants our input (tonight) on excursions and meal reservations. There are a lot of options for excursions, many of which seem to be remixes of other options. (you can have a salmon lunch, you can watch a cultural show, or you can do both at the same time, for example). Any tips on choosing excursions?

Also, any tips on where to dine on board? And what about on board shows and activities, any suggestions there?

What kind of clothing should I bring? I'm used to dressing pretty casually on a vacation, but from what I'm seeing online it seems like some folks bring suits and ties on the cruise!

Are there any items I should be purchasing ahead of time? Stuff we might need in our room or while we're on the ship? I read that most cruise lines don't allow power strips if they have surge protection...Does Princess allow any kind of power strip? Can I bring the external battery for my phone?

Any general tips or suggestions are also welcome!

Sorry for a zillion questions, but thank you in advance!!

You may want to look at the "roll call" section for this cruise.  Several folks have commented about issues you mentioned.  We are on the Grand for the June 24th sailing and are on our first Princess Cruise and First to Alaska.  Hoping for at lot of scenery and a good time.  Best Wishes.

13 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Yes, the Crown has Skywalkers, but Scooley01 will be on the Grand, which had Skywalkers removed for balance issues. The substitute One5 bar is nice, but doesn't have the panorama view of Skywalkers, which is nice in Alaska. The Crown has The Salty Dog Gastropub. Grand doesn't, but on balance the Grand carries almost 500 fewer passengers.

Agree that just walking around the town is nice for getting the feel of any port, especially Skagway because of it's goldrush history. Bring raingear for Ketchikan where they measure rainfall in feet. The only excursion I suggest not to do is any one in Skagway that involves a stop at Liarsville, what a waste of time, and money.

Just curious why you won’t recommend any stops at Liarsville? 

3 hours ago, Nolafan said:

Just curious why you won’t recommend any stops at Liarsville? 

On a cruise excursion, you pay dearly for your time ashore. The money for the excursion and how to spend that very limited time in port. Including spending time riding in a bus or van to get to the location. Wiith such a rich history, there are things I rather do in Skagway  But nothing bad or anything.

• Thanks 1

Princess offers an excellent enrichment program in Alaska.  Each ship has a full time naturalist who gives scheduled presentations/lectures and is available to give narrations through scenic passages and public announcements for (obviously) unplanned wildlife sightings, etc.  National Park Service rangers are on board giving presentations and narrations during the entire transit of Glacier Bay.  Plus local lecturers, musicians, etc. are usually brought on board in each port.  Make sure you check the daily activities sheet (formerly named the Patter and stilled called that by most passengers and crew) distributed each evening or check your medallion app.

• Thanks 1

Another fan of the Grand here! We did this trip so here are a few tips...

Get at least one small binoculars that you can carry with you at all times including ON board! We used them many times - spotting whales in the ocean and seeing wildlife as you go through the inside passage to name two circumstances. And it's totally worth it to get up early and be one of the first and only folks on deck for the inside passage. But this will be the coldest part of your trip. Wear everything.

We're from CA so we didn't own warm coats. We purchased them at our first Alaskan port and they were warm, nice and reasonably priced.

My husband didn't wear a tie - he goes for a button down shirt, sport coat and slacks for dressy nights. Overall the dress is casual to casual/nice for dinner in the MDR and specialty restaurants. 

We didn't do any ship excursions - we explored on our own. Don't skip free tours from a park ranger, historic locations. Look up info on your ports to get an idea of what you might want to do. Not everything is offered through the cruise line.

Even though the pool is covered we never felt like swimming. 

General cruise info:

For all cruises I bring an over-the-door shoe organizer for my bathroom door. We put our toiletries, brushes/combs, medications, sunscreen, etc etc etc for easy access. There is not much room in the bathroom!

Don't preplan everything. Leave lots of room for everyone to do what they want on board when they want it. One of the things I love about cruising is that we can do things together, but we can also go our own ways and enjoy what we like. I'll be doing the line dancing class while hubby relaxes on our balcony. lol

Since you have the drink package, take that opportunity to try something new. 

We like to pack light and carry our own luggage off at the end. It's not for everyone but it works for us. We don't like waiting for our group to be called and then sort through a million bags to find ours.  I pack items that mix and match and rewear things. No one cares. You can also do laundry, have laundry done for you or wash a thing or two out in your sink. 

• Like 1

scooley01,

Those of us that have been to Alaska do have our favorites when it comes to excursions. Since you are sailing in late June you may find some ship excursions sold out already. Find an excursion that appeals to you and might be a bucket list item (whale watching or up close and personal with a glacier). We thought some of the glacier excursions looked very exciting but were not in our price range. But then again if this is a once in a lifetime vacation then maybe spending a little more gets you that exhilarating experience.

Packing for Alaska can be a challenge. Late June port temps can be in the mid to upper 60's. Although you can see 70's and 80's. The week before you leave and start packing check the weather forecast for each port. That will help you decide. On the ship when you go out on deck you definitely want to dress in layers. Out on deck the temps may be either side of the mid 40's with a bit of a breeze. A warm hat and gloves are always a nice option. A nice pair of binoculars will come in handy. Don't be surprised or disappointed on how crowded each port will be. It's not unusual to have two or more ships in port at the same time.

Just remember that you are on a cruise and not every minute needs to be scheduled. There is a lot to do on a ship, but the best part is you can just sit back, relax and have a good time.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the advice!  We've got some excursions and dining booked now, and I feel like I have a better idea of what I'm getting into.

One thing I'm currently nervous about, the family REALLY wants to do a fishing excursion in Ketchikan, but the cruise excursions are all fully booked so they're looking into booking something locally at the port.  My understanding is that these are not guaranteed to get us back on the cruise ship at the correct time the way the sponsored excursions would.  Is this a crazy idea?

On 5/16/2023 at 3:02 PM, Scooley01 said:

Thank you all for the advice!  We've got some excursions and dining booked now, and I feel like I have a better idea of what I'm getting into.

One thing I'm currently nervous about, the family REALLY wants to do a fishing excursion in Ketchikan, but the cruise excursions are all fully booked so they're looking into booking something locally at the port.  My understanding is that these are not guaranteed to get us back on the cruise ship at the correct time the way the sponsored excursions would.  Is this a crazy idea?

Personally I would not do a private excursion but many others do. I am just fearful of ship leaving without us and the craziness that would entail from that!

Find one that is experienced handling cruise ship passengers as clients. Check online reviews by searching for “cruise” and definitely confirm with your point of contact when you make arrangements. Have fun!

I am one of the very few who have not taken the train in Skagway.  I have made reservations with the National Park and taken several walking tours (free but $1 reservation fee).  I have taken several tours with Dyea Dave, but he has since passed and it doesn't look like the company is in business/open.  I have watched the train come and go.  That was enough for me.  I have been up to the Yukon (passport required).  I have walked the town but have yet to do the Skagway Theater.  And, outside of Glacier Bay, this is my favorite town.  

I have walked Creek Street in Ketchikan and followed the river all the way up to the Salmon spawning grounds.  

There are lots of excursions to choose from.  Enjoy your time watching the scenery. That is what Alaska is all about.

Fly into Vancouver a couple of days earlier and enjoy the city.  I stayed at the Pan Pacific, pricey but well worth the experience.  

No one has mentioned Alfredo's Pizza in the Piazza.  Free made to order sit down restaurant.  Not as elaborate as on the Royal Class ship, but a nice alternative.  The International Cafe has quick bites and desserts if your cabin is closer to Deck 5 than the Buffet on Deck 14.  

The Grand is one of my favorite ships.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, VA4family said:

We are also booked on Grand Princess.  It will be our first Princess cruise and we look forward to it.

How does embarkation and muster drill work compared to Royal Caribbean?

Princess has a nice walk through on the app, but it goes like this.

Visit the muster station to check in.  They will scan your medallion and that counts for knowing where you would go in an emergency.  Then you can watch the safety procedures video on the cabin TV or on your phone.  Either one will count for you and your party.  And at some point before departure they will make the safety announcement test message over the PA.

You are basically done with the muster check in once you have checked in at your muster station and watched the video.  You can do this in any order, watch the video first then go to the muster station to be scanned or vice versa.  I've read that a number of people will turn on the safety video in their cabin on the TV while they are unpacking.  So, kill two birds with one stone.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2023 at 12:24 PM, Scooley01 said:

Congratulations on your first cruise.  I hope you have a great time.  How much you enjoy cruising is really up to you.  You have many questions, I may provide multiple posts.

Pack a small med kit.  Pack in it typical OTC medications you would normally use in your regular life.  The onboard clinic is very capable, but also very expensive.  Your normal medical insurance at home will likely cover little or nothing of a visit to the doctor on board.  Travel insurance will reimburse for your visit to the doctor, but you'll be paying out of pocket on your onboard account until you can file the paperwork with your insurance and get reimbursed.  You are only going to go there if something is really wrong with you, otherwise "doctor, heal thyself."  You'll want OTC stuff for cold and sinus issues, seasickness and nausea, gastrointestinal malaise, pain relief.  A couple bandages wouldn't hurt, and some antibiotic ointment.  Basically pack whatever OTC meds you'd normally use in a typical year.  You are unlikely to need any of this, but you'll definitely need it when you need it, so pack it anyway.

Hand sanitizing wipes are a good idea to carry, however the active ingredients in your typical Wet Ones and Purell and the knock offs are ineffective at protecting you from Noro.  So, wash your hands frequently and wash them prior to every meal or eating occasion.  It is a ritual for us to wash our hands in our cabin and then gingerly make our way to the dining room without touching anything with our hands.  You can do it.  It is just one of those things that you get used to when cruising.  Also you'll want to pack a package of sanitizing wipes, the kitchen and bathroom type.  We tend to wipe down all cabinetry handles, door handles, drawer knobs, telephones, TV remotes, faucet handles, toilet flush handles, and such once we get on board and to our cabin.  Sounds weird, but it is piece of mind for us.

Power strips with surge suppressors are verboten and will be confiscated by your cabin steward.  They require a type of ground which the ship doesn't have.  You can bring along power strips or blocks which do not have surge suppression, but I'd recommend just bringing along power bricks that lean toward USB charging, so you can power all of your devices.  We have a power adapter with 4 USB outlets on it and we charge all of our devices from it.  It has never been questioned by staff.  There aren't a lot of wall outlets in a regular cabin on the Grand, so be prepared to do a bit of device swapping unless you get a USB power charging station of some kind.

External batteries are just fine.  They don't care about things like that.

The Grand is also our favourite ship. Enjoy!

I'll also recommend Alfredo's restaurant for nice pizza and ambiance. But, seeing you have a drink package, I'll also recommend Vines right next door to Alfredo's. Much nicer wines by the glass than what we found at other bars or dining rooms.