🛳️ Live (hopefully) from Crown Princess May 12 - 23

Coral

10 minutes ago, Coral said:

It is sort of funny - I have heard many Canadians tell me that things must be cheap for the Americans. I found Whistler and Vancouver very expensive (regardless of restaurant).

I have been to Earl's and Spaghetti Factory previously (did not like Spaghetti Factory). I really wanted to eat at Mahoney's Tavern. Though last time I was there - it was Mahoney's and Son's and I preferred that menu instead.

I was exhausted yesterday as I am still on Central Time. I only had a granola bar yesterday. So when I was done at Capilano's Bridge - I wanted something familiar and the Keg was it. I remember going with my Mom years ago (2001?) and I knew I would leave full. That is how that was decided. Not much thought went into it.

Yes, all things seem to have gotten out of hand. I actually looked up Capilano Bridge and was surprised they have upped their price again. It used to be around 40 dollars and now it’s about 65 per person. I’m afraid of heights, so I wouldn’t do it, but it’s a popular thing for families to do.
 The Keg was our go to place and it’s a popular gift card to receive, so we still get to enjoy the treat once in a while. 

Any time I don’t have to cook is a great day.  We just came off 21 days on the Crown Princess and I’m tired of cooking already. 

We cruised to Hawaii, and I really thought everything was expensive there, too. Unless we want to stay home, we have to just pay up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

Yes, all things seem to have gotten out of hand. I actually looked up Capilano Bridge and was surprised they have upped their price again. It used to be around 40 dollars and now it’s about 65 per person. I’m afraid of heights, so I wouldn’t do it, but it’s a popular thing for families to do.

I am scared to death of heights. I have had to face some other fears recently and decided to try to face this as well. I didn't do everything (tree house things) but I am pretty proud of myself!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JustVinney said:

I hope you are on board and already enjoying your trip... or perhaps I should say part two - Whistler looks incredible! Thanks for the posts - wonderful photos and great to read as well. 

I have an unusual request should you be in the shops on board. If you notice fountain pens in any of the shops, I would love to know. I'll be getting on the crown just after you disembark, and that's the one item I am hoping for as a souvenir for my whole trip. I fear the onboard shops won't have any - and it's not terribly likely in Alaska - so I may have to look around on my one day in Vancouver before cruising. 
I know it's an odd one - but if you happen to notice I'd appreciate it. 

Regardless, I hope you have a marvellous cruise and will certainly be following along. Thanks for the great posts!

I will try to look tomorrow!

• Like 1

@Coral, glad to hear you had a smooth embarkation --- I had heard horror stories about previous ones.  I'm sorry to hear about your power strip.  Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that the ship is older?  Hope you get it back tomorrow.

Your cabin looks very nice, thanks for letting me know about the removable shower head.  Hopefully, mine will be there when we board.

Really appreciate all your efforts with posting your pictures and comments.  You are very kind to do that.

2 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey thanks, Coral. Was thinkin of ya earlier today. Oh, you gonna take any pictures of you're dog & post them, so we dog lovers could see? If not, thats ok to.

You have a great memory! Sadly, both my Mom and her Seeing Eye dog are no longer with me. I have thought of both this week as their last cruise was to Alaska and the only time I was in Whistler was with both of them. From a dog's point of view, if one had to have a working vacation - Whistler and Alaska were tops on her list. I went on the same trails that she and I explored in Whistler. The thought came to me if I encountered a bear - I didn't have her to protect me this time. Or maybe she was protecting me from above!

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Italy52 said:

@Coral, glad to hear you had a smooth embarkation --- I had heard horror stories about previous ones.  I'm sorry to hear about your power strip.  Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that the ship is older?  Hope you get it back tomorrow.

Your cabin looks very nice, thanks for letting me know about the removable shower head.  Hopefully, mine will be there when we board.

Really appreciate all your efforts with posting your pictures and comments.  You are very kind to do that.

I think the first ones (embarkation) every year are not great.

I made it a point to ask my room steward right away about the shower head.

13 hours ago, Coral said:

I wanted something familiar and the Keg was it.

Coming out of Florida I have never seen The Keg. Looks like a bunch of them in downtown Vancouver. 

We will probably just eat at the Pan Pacific pre-cruise (we have the reservation with the dining credit), but also have a post-cruise stay (suite at the Moda, hope it is decent). Is the food at the Keg as good as it looks? The prices there are the same in Canadian as I pay here in USD, so roughly 25% less expensive than here. Unless anyone has another suggestion for a decent steak in Vancouver it looks like a winner.

Thanks for the review and pics. Hopefully you will be able to post some of the dinner menus. They should be similar for us boarding after you. 

Might have to also look at the removeable shower head. Thanks for that!  And the info about just having a porter take the bags down!

9 hours ago, Coral said:

think the first ones (embarkation) every year are not great.

I made it a point to ask my room steward right away about the shower head.

We were in E730 for the 28day South Pacific. If you are on the even side say Hi to Emmanuel from Tim and Suzanne from Hawaii. He got us the shower head right away and was always cheerful and helpful. Love the crew on the ship and could go on and on about them.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

We were in E730 for the 28day South Pacific. If you are on the even side say Hi to Emmanuel from Tim and Suzanne from Hawaii. He got us the shower head right away and was always cheerful and helpful. Love the crew on the ship and could go on and on about them.

I am on the odd side but I will stop over and see if he is there and say "hi" from you.

My room steward got it right away also. I need it and wanted to ask when I first boarded in case they run out.

Just now, Coral said:

I am on the odd side but I will stop over and see if he is there and say "hi" from you.

My room steward got it right away also. I need it and wanted to ask when I first boarded in case they run out.

Mahalo! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Coming out of Florida I have never seen The Keg. Looks like a bunch of them in downtown Vancouver. 

We will probably just eat at the Pan Pacific pre-cruise (we have the reservation with the dining credit), but also have a post-cruise stay (suite at the Moda, hope it is decent). Is the food at the Keg as good as it looks? The prices there are the same in Canadian as I pay here in USD, so roughly 25% less expensive than here. Unless anyone has another suggestion for a decent steak in Vancouver it looks like a winner.

Thanks for the review and pics. Hopefully you will be able to post some of the dinner menus. They should be similar for us boarding after you. 

Might have to also look at the removeable shower head. Thanks for that!  And the info about just having a porter take the bags down!

I am taking dinner menu pics and dinner pics but the internet is too slow right now to post. I will post when I can. I also have patter pics. 

The Keg was exactly what I needed at the moment. The veggies were to die for. I am from Nebraska and get great beef where I live so nothing can compare to that. I can tell you I was hungry and ate my meal and didn't complain one bit. Ok - there was one thing, my only complaint - I wanted a ribeye and the only ribeye was a 20 oz bone in which I didn't want (If I remember correctly). Way too large. Thus, I got the prime rib. I was starving and didn't want something with small plates. I knew what I was getting with the Keg and they delivered.

• Like 1

Which dining room do you have? If you are in Michelangelo, Anastasia is the Hostess and she set us up with a beautiful window table for 2 at 6:40. James and Rachel were the best team we've ever had.

• Like 1

Day 1 Menu. I don't always like change but I have to say Day 1's menu looked good. Someone nearby had the chicken and said it was good. I was tempted to order the Blueberry Cobbler but my waiter told me it would show up again. I asked for zucchini or asparagus for a vegetable and got both with my pork dish. The dinner was quite good. BTW - it took awhile to get a private table.

I am happy my Catalina/French dressing is back. On my TA cruise - they had European French dressing which has mayonnaise it it - not a fan.

image.jpeg

IMG_2071 2.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

IMG_2066.jpeg

IMG_2067.jpeg

IMG_2069.jpeg

Edited by Coral
  • Like 6

Day 2 - I went to Rachel Moreno's presentation at 9 am - she is from Sitka and gave a great presentation. She gets off the ship tomorrow in Sitka. Her talk was unique and I enjoyed.

Rachel Cartwright was at 10:00. She is on the ship for a few cruises. Her 2018 book is sold in the store and the map is sold separately if you already have the book. She is a fantastic speaker.

Rachel's book is $25.25 (with map) and just the map is $12.00

There is another speaker at 2 pm - Allen Conlin so leaving soon for that.

We supposedly have the most speakers on any cruise in Alaska right now.

Off to a 2:00 and 3:00 speaker (on Alaska).

IMG_2089.jpeg

IMG_2090.jpeg

IMG_2091.jpeg

IMG_2092.jpeg

• Like 4