🛳️ Live (hopefully) from Crown Princess May 12 - 23

Coral

@Coral, thanks for the tour information and link.  Did you feel you had enough time at the Fortress of the Bears and the Raptor Center?  Cost?  How was line to get the bus into town --- long?  For our last two visits, we had one long line and one shorter line.  Thanks.

• Like 2

Fortress of the Bear: http://www.fortressofthebear.org 

Providing protection and care to orphaned bears in an enriching, educational environment

We spoke with Les who started the Fortress of the Bear. He is amazing and I am thankful for what he does for these bears. The bears were quite photogenic today 🙂 

IMG_2211.jpeg

IMG_2217.jpeg

IMG_2221.jpeg

IMG_2222.jpeg

IMG_2224.jpeg

IMG_2236.jpeg

IMG_2237.jpeg

IMG_2241.jpeg

IMG_2245.jpeg

IMG_2247.jpeg

IMG_2249.jpeg

IMG_2250.jpeg

IMG_2258.jpeg

• Like 15

17 minutes ago, Coral said:

Random Sitka pictures:

IMG_2329.thumb.jpeg.7f3575e3c6b990aeee2e4bda80de0615.jpegIMG_2327.thumb.jpeg.c513e2db5fa80a349149e1aff8d86774.jpegIMG_2326.thumb.jpeg.93a1cea470feed30a891192062e90473.jpegIMG_2324.thumb.jpeg.01a678956a9f65749bb5c0b98368ee35.jpegIMG_2323.thumb.jpeg.a87b764290c28ce11f9378f64996db5a.jpegIMG_2322.thumb.jpeg.d72c9535eddddc4177461ed81aec7fb8.jpegIMG_2321.thumb.jpeg.a9123a3e54f86377d70472b896d8c167.jpegIMG_2319.thumb.jpeg.1a1937b597379d5e02b7e82c2d807495.jpegIMG_2317.thumb.jpeg.ccef38cc3e1a7b0af6602f4a367a3eb2.jpegIMG_2287.thumb.jpeg.d465a9c1ada12710b9031edc21750e58.jpeg

Did the town have the street closed to vehicles on your visit? They told me that it will be closed for pedestrians only when ships bring an excess of 5000 visitorson any given day. Very festive atmosphere when that happens.

On 5/12/2023 at 5:47 PM, Happiest when cruising said:

Yes, all things seem to have gotten out of hand. I actually looked up Capilano Bridge and was surprised they have upped their price again. It used to be around 40 dollars and now it’s about 65 per person. I’m afraid of heights, so I wouldn’t do it, but it’s a popular thing for families to do.

We tried to do the bridge one time. It was full of kids who were running, jumping, and making it sway wildly. We got a short distance when my wife turned to me and said, "I don't like this!" I have never seen fear in her eyes like that. They aren't supposed to allow wild children to run rampant on the bridge. We never did get to see what was on the other side.

2 hours ago, Coral said:

We started at the Alaskan Raptor Center (Rehab center for birds of prey until they can be released again and home to eagles and owls who can not be rehabilitated to be set loose again):

IMG_2139.jpeg

IMG_2142.jpeg

IMG_2144.jpeg

IMG_2146.jpeg

IMG_2164.jpeg

IMG_2169.jpeg

IMG_2175.jpeg

IMG_2181.jpeg

IMG_2183.jpeg

IMG_2187.jpeg

IMG_2190.jpeg

IMG_2192.jpeg

IMG_2197.jpeg

Hi, was there oh back in 2017, the day we were at the center, they had opened the window to the clinic, an they were nursein an eagle who was hit by a car an unable to eat. He was huge. Now if I misspell a word, don't take points off ma spellin!!

Also, did you go into the church there in Sitka? Also, the tours that you are takin, did you book through the ship, or just walk up in the ports an...? Was lookin at bookin in Sitka, the Best of sika, otters, raptors & bears, were there any vendors on the dock there & how much? Then just saw the pictures you took an it looks like you saw a little of everything.

I know, I know, for me the cruise isn't til Sept, but just lookin at what you are postin, have to make notes about what one is plannin to do. Also, the vendors on the dock might be a little less expensive that what the ship tours are offerin. Am I right? The cruise payment is due next month, then after that, will think about the tours, also don't want to use the credit card at the moment.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your posts and beautiful pictures. You are so kind to answer questions and help others! 

I found your thread and thought it would be fun to see the ship, menu and venues as we will be on her end of September, but a very different itinerary. Everything you posted about your pre-cruise and cruise is great. ☺️ Thanks again!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Italy52 said:

@Coral, thanks for the tour information and link.  Did you feel you had enough time at the Fortress of the Bears and the Raptor Center?  Cost?  How was line to get the bus into town --- long?  For our last two visits, we had one long line and one shorter line.  Thanks.

The cost was in the $90 range. I went with them because of the size of the van (max 12 passengers in a 14 passenger van). We had 11. There was a larger bus that charged $25 plus the entrance fee to the places. There was 30 minutes at each place and I thought it was enough time at the Bears and Raptor Center. I could have probably spent more time at the Totem park but that was the last location and I could have walked back to the ship but chose not to. Not sure if they switch the order around.

I did speak to some people from CC who spent $2xx and did what I did plus a boat ride. They thought the boat ride was great and they saw a lot of wildlife.

Not sure if I mentioned it earlier but I ventured out with a long sleeve shirt and a pullover athletic type nylon pullover. And I was hot even before I went into town. So I went back to the ship and changed clothing and was much more comfortable. So I wasted time this morning but that was fine.

No call from security about power bar.

The weird thing under the mirror is an emergency light (according to my room steward).

1 hour ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Also, did you go into the church there in Sitka? Also, the tours that you are takin, did you book through the ship, or just walk up in the ports an...? Was lookin at bookin in Sitka, the Best of sika, otters, raptors & bears, were there any vendors on the dock there & how much? Then just saw the pictures you took an it looks like you saw a little of everything.

I did not go into the church. 

I booked today's tour at the pier (I don't remember the cost through Princess). All of my future tours were booked independently except for Victoria and going to the gardens. It is Victoria day there and I didn't want to mess with traffic issues and private vendors (big parade downtown).

I paid $90 for my tour today. There were larger bus tours for $25 plus entrance fees into the sites. I didn't pay attention to entrance fees. I didn't want to be on a large bus though.

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

We tried to do the bridge one time. It was full of kids who were running, jumping, and making it sway wildly. We got a short distance when my wife turned to me and said, "I don't like this!" I have never seen fear in her eyes like that. They aren't supposed to allow wild children to run rampant on the bridge. We never did get to see what was on the other side.

There were people making the bridge have more motion by moving around quite a bit. I have to say I am proud of myself as I am fearful of heights and this scared me. I have to say the first part and last part were the worst. It was more steady in the middle.

3 hours ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

Did the town have the street closed to vehicles on your visit? They told me that it will be closed for pedestrians only when ships bring an excess of 5000 visitorson any given day. Very festive atmosphere when that happens.

No. We only had our ship in port. We have less than 2400 passengers on our ship. I can't imagine Sitka with 5000 passengers (town has 8000 population). Though I have to say the locals were very nice and it is a quaint town. My first time here.

• Like 2

Afternoon treat - yesterday it was a waffle bar. Today - crepe bar! Same concept and similar toppings! To die for.

While eating - I ran into someone who I was on the Emerald TA with in November. Small world!!

image.jpeg

Edited by Coral
  • Like 5

How I spent my evening. The weather was just stunning as you can see people swimming. I can't think of a better evening than burgers, fries, popcorn and Top Gun Maverick on MUTS while snow covered mountains and volcanos go by. I have really not watched anything on MUTS previously - there has never been anything that interest me. This was great except it wasn't dark. They are repeating it now and it still is not dark.

image.thumb.jpeg.3e3a629d0000c5cd7e63d083faacd0ae.jpeg

IMG_2336.jpeg

IMG_2337.jpeg

IMG_2347.jpeg

IMG_2334.jpeg

IMG_2344.jpeg

Edited by Coral
  • Like 5

I just wanted to add that Rachel Cartwright is the best Naturalist I have ever heard on a ship. She is fabulous. She indicated she is on the this ship for a few cruises. I will try to find out when she gets off and where she is going.

Today she did a presentation on whales. She is active in the Keiki Kohola Project and a portion of the proceeds of her Alaska book go to this cause. https://www.caringforcalves.org 

She had an aerial/drone video of whales mating during todays presentation (it is a quick process - go figure). She did say that she has aerial video of a whale giving birth and it will be part of a National Geographic documentary later this year and she will include it in her presentation next year (hopefully). She couldn't talk much about that.

image.thumb.jpeg.fe72985a94f78bb23ce7b129867613f3.jpeg

IMG_2130.jpeg

Edited by Coral
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Coral said:

Afternoon treat - yesterday it was a waffle bar. Today - crepe bar! Same concept and similar toppings! To die for.

While eating - I ran into someone who I was on the Emerald TA with in November. Small world!!

image.jpeg

Is the treat bar in the Horizon buffet?

4 minutes ago, Nelsj099 said:

@Coral How has the internet been so far?  You have been able to post all of these pictures and it has been great!   Thanks for your help! 

Not super fast but I have had experienced worse. The pages are loading very slowly because of the pictures - it makes me sort of dizzy when replying because it keeps loading the pics. Sometimes I type text and then hit submit and lose everything.

• Thanks 1

In Juneau, on Seward St, visit Shoefly for some fabulous shoe shopping. Close by , be sure to stop into the Sealaska building for great jewelry. Across the street, new mask istallations in the square. At the waterfront, see the Aquilean whale tale sculptures. Enjoy your cruise! So far, so good!

Hope you have a stellar day of viewing Hubbard