Does Anybody Have Experience Cruising With A Service Dog?

6 minutes ago, trummy said:

Thanks, but that doesn't address my questions.

This isn't a service dog forum so you shouldn't be surprised that you're not getting a valid answer to those very specialized questions that have nothing to do with cruising.

Edited by mz-s

3 hours ago, trummy said:

This is a topic I have been curious about. There are people who have allergies to dogs. Are service animals a danger to those people? Do service dogs have to be the type that are hypoallergenic?

I'm not allergic, just curious.

Service dogs can be any breed. And the service dog (who is considered medical equipment by the ADA) trumps a person’s allergies when it comes to public access. A person with allergies can of course request to be seated far away from the dog. In situations such as a flight, if the person with allergies doesn’t want to fly with a dog on a plane, they are the ones who are bumped to another flight, not the person with the service dog. I’m highly allergic to cats, but if they fit under the seat, people can bring them on a flight too and I just cross my fingers that they are far away. Same with small dogs.

As far as encountering the SD on a cruise, trust me when I say the dog’s handler would much prefer you keep your distance as well. (Not you specifically, just people who think it’s okay to distract the dog.) 

• Like 4

On 5/12/2023 at 3:25 PM, broadwaybaby123 said:

(for those that don't know, if the dog is wearing a red vest, they're a working service animal

Nope,  red vests saying "service dog"  are available from several sources online. Anybody can buy one no questions asked. We've seen little "FiFi"  wearing a service dog vest several time before ESA's were finally banned.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mz-s said:

This isn't a service dog forum so you shouldn't be surprised that you're not getting a valid answer to those very specialized questions that have nothing to do with cruising.

There was no need for you to say that they can ask questions about things because people like momof3cruisers can answer.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

Service dogs can be any breed. And the service dog (who is considered medical equipment by the ADA) trumps a person’s allergies when it comes to public access. A person with allergies can of course request to be seated far away from the dog. In situations such as a flight, if the person with allergies doesn’t want to fly with a dog on a plane, they are the ones who are bumped to another flight, not the person with the service dog. I’m highly allergic to cats, but if they fit under the seat, people can bring them on a flight too and I just cross my fingers that they are far away. Same with small dogs.

As far as encountering the SD on a cruise, trust me when I say the dog’s handler would much prefer you keep your distance as well. (Not you specifically, just people who think it’s okay to distract the dog.) 

Thank you. This was very informative.

14 hours ago, crazyank said:

Nope,  red vests saying "service dog"  are available from several sources online. Anybody can buy one no questions asked. We've seen little "FiFi"  wearing a service dog vest several time before ESA's were finally banned.

While I would normally agree with you, I do work with service animals, they have to have their licenses to even get those vests.

On 5/11/2023 at 12:21 PM, pinto18 said:

I dont think Susans comment was rude. It seems like Elaine was questioning whether the dog was "official"...the OP said he was and that everything was already arranged. I understand there are people that try to bypass the rules, but why assume the OP is? She just doesn't want the share her grand daughters need for a service dog, nor should she have to

I was questioning whether or no the pup was trained by one of the Service Dog organizations I support.  How cool it is when your favorite things come together?  

• Like 2

On 5/16/2023 at 9:06 AM, EngIceDave said:

When we were on Celebration in February, some woman had a small frenchie and didn't seem to "service doggy" to me.

French Bulldogs can barely breathe, they certainly are not service dogs. They can't take care of themselves.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, mz-s said:

French Bulldogs can barely breathe, they certainly are not service dogs. They can't take care of themselves.

Hi @mz-s🙂

Click on the link below.

French Bulldog As A Service Dog:

Temperament, Training & Care:

https://www.supportdogcertification.org/article/french-bulldog-service-dogs

Much  More Additional information located @:

(Google Search): French Bulldogs As Service Dogs

🐕‍🦺🦮🐕‍🦺🦮🐕‍🦺🦮🐕‍🦺🦮

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Hi @mz-s🙂

Click on the link below.

French Bulldog As A Service Dog:

Temperament, Training & Care:

https://www.supportdogcertification.org/article/french-bulldog-service-dogs

Much  More Additional information located @:

(Google Search): French Bulldogs As Service Dogs

🐕‍🦺🦮🐕‍🦺🦮🐕‍🦺🦮🐕‍🦺🦮

That website is blogspam and is absolutely not authoritative in any way, shape, or form. As you may know there is no registry for service animals in this country.

It is true that the ADA does not recognize any specific breed. I guess at least Carnival allows oxygen again so you can allow your frenchie to breathe while you are on your cruise, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

I was questioning whether or no the pup was trained by one of the Service Dog organizations I support.  How cool it is when your favorite things come together?  

Ahh then I apologize..I took it as questioning her. Nice that you support these organizations!

On 5/11/2023 at 5:43 PM, bguppies said:

Depending on which countries/islands their cruise is visiting and whether the little girl with the service dog plans on getting off the ship and MUST have the dog is a pretty big question.

OP's granddaughter could be a young lady in her 20s...

Can we, as a public, agree to not do what I saw on another cruise line earlier this month? There was a person on board with their (clearly labeled, well behaved) large service dog. The dog's vest/harness IDed it as a PTSD service dog. 

I witnessed a woman yell across the corridor that the dog was "too big" to be a service dog (yelling in the direction of dog/handler team) and that it "must be nice to have money enough to get your dog on board" and several other things. 

By the time your service dog - of whatever sort - has made it on board, it has gotten clearance from the cruise line. It's no one's business, after that, to question the dog's purpose/"worthiness"/size/etc. 

• Like 7

People often just don't understand, I think the ESA's did some damage to public perception. 

As a Type 1 Diabetic, who uses an Insulin Pump, with Humulin RU 500, which is 5X the potency of regular insulin; my small black Pug, is my Diabetic Service Dog.  She has traveled the world with me.  This includes in-cabin with airlines, long distance buses, trains, and cruise ships.

The Omni Pod system is great, with Dexcom 6 or now the Eversense Implant Monitor, BUT there are times GiGi can alert me/wake me/save me, when my glucose numbers go below 50 or higher than 400+.

People should just give it a rest and enjoy their own vacations.  There is so much stress in the world, you have no idea what's on other peoples plates.  At least among the Officers & Crew, GiGi was the most popular passenger aboard, during her 20 days aboard, (back-to-back-to-back) Virgin Valiant Lady!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, WestCoastDeb said:

Can we, as a public, agree to not do what I saw on another cruise line earlier this month? There was a person on board with their (clearly labeled, well behaved) large service dog. The dog's vest/harness IDed it as a PTSD service dog. 

I witnessed a woman yell across the corridor that the dog was "too big" to be a service dog (yelling in the direction of dog/handler team) and that it "must be nice to have money enough to get your dog on board" and several other things. 

By the time your service dog - of whatever sort - has made it on board, it has gotten clearance from the cruise line. It's no one's business, after that, to question the dog's purpose/"worthiness"/size/etc. 

One of the biggest problems in society today is nobody knows how to mind their own business. Somebody should have told that lady where she could shove it.

My sister has a doxi seizure dog and you couldn't tell it's a service dog, because of the little outfits the critter wears.  But I've seen it do it's job.  It gives my sister quality of life that she couldn't have without it and that's all that matters to me. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, WestCoastDeb said:

Or the fellow who sat next to me on a flight in February who claimed the dog was a service dog and yet he encouraged everyone walking past to pet the dog and while on the plane, let kids sitting near to come over and pet the dog.  It was a very well behaved dog but letting 100 strangers pet a dog in a stressful (multiple delays with hours sitting on the tarmac) situation is just asking for trouble.  

I few years back on was on a cruise where the gentleman down the hall had a service dog. It was a Great Dane and he needed a tall dog for support. After seeing him a few times I did breakdown and ask where the dog went the bathroom, he told me it was trained to use a litter box on the balcony. I wanted to pet the dog but knew it was working and didn't ask.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

People often just don't understand, I think the ESA's did some damage to public perception. 

This is the problem. Especially since people with ESA's often label their dogs as "service dogs"; either because they don't understand the difference or know that ESA's are not often welcomed in public places.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

GiGi was the most popular passenger aboard,

as she should be!

I am ashamed to admit it, but I had been a nuisance (but I made a firm promise to myself to behave in the future) any time I saw a service dog onboard. I get so excited (I love dogs) that I can't help myself but to walk over and gush all over the dog. I don't pet unless permitted (very rarely), but, dang it, I do interrupt the dog's duty with my inappropriate behavior. I do know that and I try to do better, but my impulse control goes right overboard at the sight of any dog.

Becka, if your mom sees this post, please know that I will never do it again and that I am very sorry for distracting you.