Crown Princess outlet plug situation. And auto Lights in cabin.

larrybritt

This July we will be on Crown going to Alaska. This will be our first time and I want to be prepared for the outlet situation. Last ship was the Sky and we Had plenty of plugs. What should we bring on the Crown? Also this will be our first time with the motion lights in the cabin. How does everyone handle them. I feel like they will be annoying when someone gets up at night. How bad is it and what are some ideas around them?0

We will experience the motion lights soon on the Royal but a lot of people I read use duct tape to cover up the sensors. Some will actually ask maintenance to disable them (if possible). I just plan on bringing duct tape.

Regarding outlets, Amazon sells some great portable cruise-approved power strips with a few regular plugs and USB plugs.

• Like 1

We roll up pool towels and stick them in front of the night stand to block the sensor and a couple of bandaids or painters tape on the sensor in front of bathroom door. 

as for outlets, you will have an outlet at the desk - bring a multi plug or a power strip ( with no surge protector).

• Like 1

I second the duct tape for the light sensor by the bathroom. Pool towel - or a flip flop works for the ones by the bed, the bed side light strips in our cabin on the crown fell off so you could turn them to face the wall.

There is an additional outlet behind the TV. Hard to reach but I left a charger plugged in with a long enough cord to hang down in front of the TV so I could get at it easily. There are two sockets by the desk but they are so close together that I could only use one at a time. Fortunately we are not big electronic users.

I would not use duct tape.  Too sticky, leaves residue.  We use masking tape or painters tape, works great. No pillows or towels in the way beside your night stand. We put it on the sensor in the closet too.  Just remove it when you leave.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, larrybritt said:

This July we will be on Crown going to Alaska. This will be our first time and I want to be prepared for the outlet situation. Last ship was the Sky and we Had plenty of plugs. What should we bring on the Crown? Also this will be our first time with the motion lights in the cabin. How does everyone handle them. I feel like they will be annoying when someone gets up at night. How bad is it and what are some ideas around them?0

What type of cabin will you be in? Just did 28days on the Crown in a mini. We used a european plug under the headboard that had 3 US type plug sockets in it( I believe in the above thread)  We were able to plug the lamp plug back in and connect an extension cord that ran to my wifes side. In a mini, the desk is right next to the bed and you can plug in a US type plug( used for my Bipap). Behind the TVs there was a US plug that I was able to plug in my muli port/USB device. If not in mini, you can plug in extensions to both sides of the bed Great info on other thread on what adapters to buy. 

• Like 1

We found the cabin nightlights on the Emerald to be great! The ones beside were just right to see your way to the bathroom area and they turned off a few seconds after activation. Not too bright at all. The one at the bathroom door was very helpful as well. 

• Like 2

Just came off the Crown - did the hand towel trick in front of the nightstands and used a bandaid for the one in the "hall".

As far as outlets, we used the one waaaaay back behind the TV to charge USB devices and purchased this to charge everything else (and more USB devices).

Disembarked Crown on 4/29.  We used electrical tape on the sensors (we found the auto lights very annoying), including closet. We brought two non surge protector extensions (some with USB) and plugged one at the desk and one behind from the second tv (mini suite). After that, we had all we needed for 15 days charged and ready - phones, 2 laptops, apple watch, bricks..

We were unprepared for those instant spotlights on the Ruby the last time we sailed. Every time I got up in the night I thought it was showtime. My husband did not appreciate me breaking into "Moon River" each morning at 3am. We used the decorative pillows to hide the sensors on the nightstand. But we will be armed with painting tape for our next cruise. And just like THAT my early morning cruise ship gigs were terminated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For some of us who are, lets say, over the hill the lights are helpful.   Having to get up a few times a night they keep me from falling all over myself.    Yes can be annoying but I don't want to think about the alternative.   

• Like 3

We used painters tape to cover both the bedside ones and the one by the bathroom, then during the day we would just peel back the tape for that one so we had light in the closet.  To transport the tape I actually wrapped it around a sharpie.

• Like 1

Just got off the Enchanted, we found the automatic light in the closet area quite useful during the daytime, but annoying at night when you need to get up to use the bathroom. We did also notice that the closet light seemed to come on automatically when switching on any other main light in the room (except the bedside lights) even when there was nobody in the area for the sensor to detect. It was quite slow to detect movement but would come on instantly when switching on the bathroom light. I'm not sure if it does this by detecting light or via some electrical trigger from the other lights. It might vary on other classes of ship, but I suspect that covering the sensor with tape may not prevent the light coming on when you don't want it to. Shame there isn't an on-off-auto switch so that you could set it as per your individual needs...

On 5/11/2023 at 10:23 AM, Rick&Jeannie said:

I agree with @PacnGoNow...don't use duct tape! I take blue painters tape and it works great...easy to remove without any residue.  I just wind about 20 inches or so onto a popsicle stick and toss that I to my "emergency tool kit". 

Winding onto an old credit card works well, too.

I am in a minisuite. I can handle the ones near the bed fine. It is the bathroom light that is so bright.

The lack of outlets is a big deal. There is one between the two TVs which is where I am charging my laptop.

There is one near the lamp. That has 2 narrow US outlets. Though any Apple device uses the space for both. I have to use the right one or otherwise I turn on a light.

I had brought a cheap power bar (not surge strip) which I had brought on cruises for the past 20 years. It was confiscated and I have not been able to get it back. I was told that if an electrician thought it was safe, I could get it back the next day. The next day I called and spoke with someone with Security. He made it sound like I could get it back as the only things I want to plug into it is my Apple Watch and phone. I never heard from him again. I don't plan on picking up the power bar when I disembark as I think that will be chaos and I have a flight to catch.

I would bring a device for USB devices as these lamps do not have them.

There used to be another outlet under the mirror but this is now an emergency light for power failure. This is the big deal - if this existed, I wouldn't have an issue. I used to plug a curling iron into that one. For this cruise - I didn't use one - too much hassle.

There is a blow dryer on the wall.

8 minutes ago, theloo said:

No one has mentioned any outlets in the bathroom.  Is there one?  Thanks.

The ships I've been on (Enchanted, Regal, Royal, Sapphire) have all had a dual-voltage outlet in the bathroom, 115V for US flat pins, 230V for Euro round pins, but they're positioned very closely together so you can only use one or the other. Should also point out that the Euro outlet in the bathroom does not accept UK-type 'shaver' plugs because the pins are too fat and close together (not sure if any other countries use this plug format), but you can use an adaptor.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/11/2023 at 8:39 AM, Yehootu said:

What type of cabin will you be in? Just did 28days on the Crown in a mini. We used a european plug under the headboard that had 3 US type plug sockets in it( I believe in the above thread)  We were able to plug the lamp plug back in and connect an extension cord that ran to my wifes side. In a mini, the desk is right next to the bed and you can plug in a US type plug( used for my Bipap). Behind the TVs there was a US plug that I was able to plug in my muli port/USB device. If not in mini, you can plug in extensions to both sides of the bed Great info on other thread on what adapters to buy. 

Thank you so much. I was not going to bring my european adapter plug-in but now I will. 😍

On 5/11/2023 at 12:21 PM, gottagocit said:

We found the cabin nightlights on the Emerald to be great! The ones beside were just right to see your way to the bathroom area and they turned off a few seconds after activation. Not too bright at all. The one at the bathroom door was very helpful as well. 

I agree.  I love the lights.  Just enough to see to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night.  We used to carry our own nightlight so we didn't stumble around in the night and the inroom lights solved that problem.