No Alcohol in any UK ports - what! 😱

ziggyuk

6 minutes ago, SakeDad said:

My TA is so frustrated as all the callcenter folks she speaks to are homeworkers in the Philippines and have no-one else actually with them to ask. So they just say whatever the last email from NCL tells them to say. It's why CC is so important. We get real news from people onboard.

When is the next Southampton sailing??

Star on Sunday I think, Dawn is in Belfast today

Edited by Greener123
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Greener123 said:

Can't wait to hear if there are any changes. NCL can no longer say "short notice" is the reason for not settling this with Customs/UK Govt

• Like 1

Someone in my NCL sailing cruise Facebook page has apparently had an update from their TA suggesting that they’ve had an update it’s now been resolved? 🤷‍♂️

I guess we will hopefully find out today or tomorrow if that’s the case?

D217B8CC-C4FD-40A5-B9EE-828608E89809.jpeg

Edited by rattla

35 minutes ago, Greener123 said:

Got an update from my TA after asking specifically about Livorno issues, and to at least make her company aware of the issues with NCL in other ports, she confirmed with her contact at NCL and they’ve advised there are no restrictions at all. Also said that if there were any changes they’d always send out an email in advance… wonder how people on the Dawn/Star/Breakaway/Gem would feel about that statement 😂

clear as mud 🙃

Oh dear. Another lie from NCL 😂 I was on the 4th May sailing. No such email in advance 😂

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rattla said:

Someone in my NCL sailing cruise Facebook page has apparently had an update from their TA suggesting that they’ve had an update it’s now been resolved? 🤷‍♂️

I guess we will hopefully find out today or tomorrow if that’s the case?

D217B8CC-C4FD-40A5-B9EE-828608E89809.jpeg

We'll know soon enough.

Just checked Dawn itinerary and the missed their port yesterday giving them plenty of time to get into Belfast early.

Wonder why they did not use that option to improve the passenger experience.

Not seen any report from those onboard yet re drinks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greener123 said:

Got an update from my TA after asking specifically about Livorno issues, and to at least make her company aware of the issues with NCL in other ports, she confirmed with her contact at NCL and they’ve advised there are no restrictions at all. Also said that if there were any changes they’d always send out an email in advance… wonder how people on the Dawn/Star/Breakaway/Gem would feel about that statement 😂

clear as mud 🙃

They have to say they will notify of changes as that is a legal requirement for cruises sold in the UK(package travel regulations)

In practice most cruise lines are very lax in how much they communicate often not bothering.

Some notifications(like port changes) could trigger full refunds so they don't want to send those.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

They have to say they will notify of changes as that is a legal requirement for cruises sold in the UK(package travel regulations)

In practice most cruise lines are very lax in how much they communicate often not bothering.

Some notifications(like port changes) could trigger full refunds so they don't want to send those.

I booked via the US… their consumer laws are basically “screw you, we need more profit…” 🤣

• Haha 5

My daughter just off a 4 day Barcelona to Rome cruise on Epic, no drinks apart from beer and wine served whilst in Port (overnight in Livorno), no drinks package wine available in the dining rooms, no bottles of the drinks package water. She was already annoyed that she was made to wait for 3 hours outside the terminal in Barcelona in full sun before being able to check-in. NCL are usually great but they had a lot of very annoyed passengers on this cruise.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, rusky123 said:
16 minutes ago, rusky123 said:

My daughter just off a 4 day Barcelona to Rome cruise on Epic, no drinks apart from beer and wine served whilst in Port (overnight in Livorno), no drinks package wine available in the dining rooms, no bottles of the drinks package water. She was already annoyed that she was made to wait for 3 hours outside the terminal in Barcelona in full sun before being able to check-in. NCL are usually great but they had a lot of very annoyed passengers on this cruise.

Thank you for that information.    Please also let us know if they were forewarned.  All of the NCL support staff seem to be giving the message of ‘of course they would let you know in advance’.  I have not seen any message from anyone to say that they were told upfront.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, rusky123 said:

If that happened to me I would be DEMANDING a full refund on my drink package. No excuse for that.....and for the record I would NOT accept a future cruise credit as I will never sail you again! Only a refund would be accepted.

Edited by SakeDad
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, rusky123 said:

Wha?  How on earth would they not provide wine in the dining room?  Water?  They really are not helping themselves as a company right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greener123 said:

Yes. Next NCL cruise out of Southampton is Star on Sunday 21st.

We will be there.

Dawn is at Belfast today, then Liverpool Saturday, Portland Tuesday and back into Southampton Wednesday.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Norwayfan1 said:

I wonder if they are teaching different lessons on PR Management courses these days.

It used to be the case that, if your company generated bad PR, you could limit damage and try to turn it into a plus by holding your hands up, explaining and putting things right... then using your prompt, customer-focused action to prove what a great company you were! Is treating your customers like idiots really in the textbook?!

Since 2015, yes to last question.

41 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Thank you for that information.    Please also let us know if they were forewarned.  All of the NCL support staff seem to be giving the message of ‘of course they would let you know in advance’.  I have not seen any message from anyone to say that they were told upfront.  

NCLs official statement of: 

"However, in certain ports of call which will be specified onboard, guests who have pre-purchased any of NCL’s beverage packages may be served"

To me implies there is no forewarning and guests will not be aware which ports you can use your beverage pack in until onboard.

Again this is my interpretation of the statement and as seen as they will not comment futher to clarify the language used, who actually knows.

12 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

"However, in certain ports of call which will be specified onboard, guests who have pre-purchased any of NCL’s beverage packages may be served"

What a poor choice of words. Intentional to create confusion and misinterpretation? Who knows.

Do they mean guests may be served or they may not be served? Orrrr...

Do they mean guests may be served as in guests are definitely permitted to be served?

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

NCLs official statement of: 

To me implies there is no forewarning and guests will not be aware which ports you can use your beverage pack in until onboard.

Again this is my interpretation of the statement and as seen as they will not comment futher to clarify the language used, who actually knows.

We are currently on The Star, we weren’t forewarned. First we knew was when we boarded at Southampton. As for Belfast we were told 8pm the night before once the ship had left Dublin. I asked the ship on day 2 whether Belfast would be a problem and no one had the decency to respond. Appalling communication from NCL. There was confusion over whether or not we could bring alcohol on at Belfast. NCL have been useless!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Myfanwy60 said:

We are currently on The Star, we weren’t forewarned. First we knew was when we boarded at Southampton. As for Belfast we were told 8pm the night before once the ship had left Dublin. I asked the ship on day 2 whether Belfast would be a problem and no one had the decency to respond. Appalling communication from NCL. There was confusion over whether or not we could bring alcohol on at Belfast. NCL have been useless!

Not surprising....love to hear their response if you ask for a refund 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rusky123 said:

Disgraceful behaviour on part of NCL, she has written to them. I have just returned from a Med cruise with MSC, alcohol served in port with no restrictions, so this is a NCL problem only.

NCL screwed up royally and are now hiding their heads in the sand, even though certain NCL cheerleaders are making excuses for NCL it’s clearly a problem of their own making.

I have a trans Atlantic booked on Getaway April 2024  starting in Southampton and stopping at UK ports and will keep watch on this debacle to see if it’s fixed if not will cancel and find a TA on another line

• Like 3

I just talked to an NCL agent and she said she got a statement YESTERDAY MORNING (Thursday) that "All guests on UK cruises will be able to order drinks while in ports of call." Since this was a specific update she was given to provide to guests asking about this, I'm (hoping) my trip on the Dawn next week will be nice and relaxing...

• Like 5

I've got confirmation that mirrors what another poster got from their TA earlier.

"Upon further investigation, we have clarified that the beverage service is permitted aboard while the vessel is in port within the UK".

This confirmation came from someone sufficiently senior within Norwegian to be totally confident that it is true. 

It doesn't make a distinction between paying for a drink and using beverage package though, so not sure on that count.

Either way, it seems that thanks to the people on here, and the bloggers/websites that published the issue, that NCL have done the right thing on this in the end, which is good news.

Edited by podgeandrodge
  • Like 4