How to buy train ticket for Schiphol to Centraal Station?

We are arriving at Schiphol and are staying at the Doubletree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.  We would like to just take the train from AMS to Centraal Station, but are confused about buying tickets.  Are there kiosks that will take a credit card?  Are there options in English or people around who can help you?

Yes you will find machines to buy tickets. Choosing english as language is possible as is paying by creditcard. More on the website of ns. nl  https://www.ns.nl/producten/en/losse-kaartjes-toeslagen

I am not sure of the window for tickets is still open, but it will be easy to get tickets. Know that you have to checkin at the gate before getting on the platform. 

Edited by Ine
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ine said:

Choosing english as language is possible as is paying by creditcard.

Generally, as soon as  you put in a North American credit card the language will default to English.

If your credit card has contactless capability, as many (but not all) now do, or if you have Apple or Google Pay on your phone, you don’t even need to buy a ticket any more.

Just tap in on the card reader at the entrance down to the platforms at Schiphol and tap out at the barrier when you leave Centraal, and you’ll be charged the correct fare automatically.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 11:54 AM, gumshoe958 said:

If your credit card has contactless capability, as many (but not all) now do, or if you have Apple or Google Pay on your phone, you don’t even need to buy a ticket any more.

Just tap in on the card reader at the entrance down to the platforms at Schiphol and tap out at the barrier when you leave Centraal, and you’ll be charged the correct fare automatically.

Oh, thank you for that information!!  That is how we did it in Sydney and was hoping it would be the same in Amsterdam. Truly the easiest way to pay.

On 5/12/2023 at 5:51 PM, gnome12 said:

Generally, as soon as  you put in a North American credit card the language will default to English.

@Ine meant the menu/navigation of the touch screen ticket machine, default it's Dutch.

Payment is one of the last steps, if you manage to get there through all the  Dutch options than you probably won't need an English payment screen anyway. :classic_laugh:

nskaartautom.png

• Like 2

15 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Is the train better than bus 397? I'm staying at Hotel Nadia, very close to the Anne Frank house. I've done the bus before but never the train

The walk from Amsterdam Centraal is slightly further than the final Elandgracht bus stop of the 397 towards your hotel.

Walking from CS is more crowded, straight towards the Dam/Royal Palace, along with the flow. And take a right after the Palace. The price of a single train ticket is about 5 Euro.

The Schiphol train station is underneath the Plaza level after Arrivals, the bus station is right outside in front of Schiphol Plaza.

Base your choice on any other needs for transport (public transport day pass, multiple day pass, all which may be of use for your to and from Schiphol leg).

But.. If you enjoyed the walk the previous time and managed the bus with luggage I would take the bus again. The difference are very small, a few Euros, a few minutes, faster versus some quick sightseeing along the way.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Rondo said:

Oh, thank you for that information!!  That is how we did it in Sydney and was hoping it would be the same in Amsterdam. Truly the easiest way to pay.

Be aware each person needs his own card

We used the 9292 app to bury train tix in advance from the airport to Centraal Station.  Very easy to book and then had e-tickets on phone for both of us which worked great.  I liked not having to get wallet or credit card out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, olsonfive said:

We also stayed at Doubletree on our recent stay (worked out great location wise as very convenient to train, trams, and canal cruises).

Have I read that there's a grocery store nearby where you can get wine, soft drinks, snacks, etc.?

On 5/12/2023 at 8:51 AM, Beachlover1989 said:

We are arriving at Schiphol and are staying at the Doubletree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.  We would like to just take the train from AMS to Centraal Station, but are confused about buying tickets.  Are there kiosks that will take a credit card?  Are there options in English or people around who can help you?

I believe we are on the same cruise. Leaving Rotterdam on August 9? We are from Buffalo Grove, Illinois. We need transportation from Rotterdam to the city of Amsterdam on August 21. Any suggestions?

On 5/14/2023 at 9:20 AM, FreestyleNovice said:

The walk from Amsterdam Centraal is slightly further than the final Elandgracht bus stop of the 397 towards your hotel.

Walking from CS is more crowded, straight towards the Dam/Royal Palace, along with the flow. And take a right after the Palace. The price of a single train ticket is about 5 Euro.

The Schiphol train station is underneath the Plaza level after Arrivals, the bus station is right outside in front of Schiphol Plaza.

Base your choice on any other needs for transport (public transport day pass, multiple day pass, all which may be of use for your to and from Schiphol leg).

But.. If you enjoyed the walk the previous time and managed the bus with luggage I would take the bus again. The difference are very small, a few Euros, a few minutes, faster versus some quick sightseeing along the way.

Thanks, I think the bus is the best option. I will also be going to the Ziggo Dome & assuming train is bets for that? Probably no direct bus going there from my hotel area? Also, I'm thinking of doing taxi for departure morning as I don't want to be delayed getting to the airport, my flight to US is at 10:50. How long should I give myself to check in?

53 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

Thanks, I think the bus is the best option. I will also be going to the Ziggo Dome & assuming train is bets for that? Probably no direct bus going there from my hotel area? Also, I'm thinking of doing taxi for departure morning as I don't want to be delayed getting to the airport, my flight to US is at 10:50. How long should I give myself to check in?

3 hrs is minimum required for transatlantic flights. Advice: 4 hours. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Ok, I guess I better do a taxi then. Is there a lot of traffic on that route on a Wednesday morning?

Your trip will be quite early in the morning and I think your taxi will have a smooth trip to Schiphol. Check whether your company offers the possibility for early check-in the day before the flight AND the possibility for luggage drop-off in the special system at Schiphol. Safes time and worked perfect for us.  

"The following airlines offer self-service baggage drop-off at Schiphol: Aero Mexico, American Airlines, Austrian, Cathay Pacific, Corendon, Finnair, IcelandAir, KLM, LOT, Lufthansa, Norwegian, SAS, Swiss, TAP, Transavia & TUI. You can find the self-service baggage drop-off kiosks in the following departure halls:

Departure 1: Aegean, Austrian, Finnair, IcelandAir, KLM, LOT, Lufthansa, SAS, Swiss, TAP & Transavia

Departure 2: KLM

Departure 3: Aero Mexico, American Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Corendon, Norwegian & TUI ". 

Load the Schiphol app and if used properly it will lead you through the airport upon arrival. 

Enjoy your cruise and flights!

I alsmost forgot: you can even reserve a timeslot for the security controls.....

Edited by MAVIP
timeslot security
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Your trip will be quite early in the morning and I think your taxi will have a smooth trip to Schiphol. Check whether your company offers the possibility for early check-in the day before the flight AND the possibility for luggage drop-off in the special system at Schiphol. Safes time and worked perfect for us.  

"The following airlines offer self-service baggage drop-off at Schiphol: Aero Mexico, American Airlines, Austrian, Cathay Pacific, Corendon, Finnair, IcelandAir, KLM, LOT, Lufthansa, Norwegian, SAS, Swiss, TAP, Transavia & TUI. You can find the self-service baggage drop-off kiosks in the following departure halls:

Departure 1: Aegean, Austrian, Finnair, IcelandAir, KLM, LOT, Lufthansa, SAS, Swiss, TAP & Transavia

Departure 2: KLM

Departure 3: Aero Mexico, American Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Corendon, Norwegian & TUI ". 

Load the Schiphol app and if used properly it will lead you through the airport upon arrival. 

Enjoy your cruise and flights!

I alsmost forgot: you can even reserve a timeslot for the security controls.....

Thanks! I assume you need the app to schedule security? I'm hoping not to have checked bags. If I do,  I am on American. What does self service drop off mean?