How to buy train ticket for Schiphol to Centraal Station?

3 hours ago, victory2020 said:

What does self service drop off mean?

You scan your boarding pass at a kiosk, which prints luggage tags for your bags (the machine weighs them and you will answer security questions on the screens). You attach the tags, and your bag  gets sent off by conveyor.

This video shows the process.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

You scan your boarding pass at a kiosk, which prints luggage tags for your bags (the machine weighs them and you will answer security questions on the screens). You attach the tags, and your bag  gets sent off by conveyor.

This video shows the process.

Thank you, this is very helpful. I'm assuming after you do this you go through security & then to the gate, skipping the (usually) long check in line

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

Thank you, this is very helpful. I'm assuming after you do this you go through security & then to the gate, skipping the (usually) long check in line

Yes, that’s it. You’ll need to have checked in online first, of course (or there may be kiosks to get  a printed boarding pass, too) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2023 at 5:03 PM, victory2020 said:

Thanks, I think the bus is the best option. I will also be going to the Ziggo Dome & assuming train is bets for that? Probably no direct bus going there from my hotel area? Also, I'm thinking of doing taxi for departure morning as I don't want to be delayed getting to the airport, my flight to US is at 10:50. How long should I give myself to check in?

No direct busses, that's right. Train or tram plus metro is the way to go.

The Bijlmer ArenA railway station is a short walk and the main public transport hub for the Ziggo Dome, (and the ArenA stadium, AFAS Live venue), just walk down the Johan Cruijf Boulevard towards the Ziggo Dome.

From CS you can take the 54 Metro towards Gein. And CS is some 10 minutes from the Anne Frank House area.

Use https://9292.nl/en for all your public transport planning for The Netherlands, that planner has all the Dutch OV (openbaar vervoer) companies. 

Depending on your needs you might want to look into a multiple day pass to cover all your transport;

The Dutch Railways has a good overview of the current passes under the Tourism header at https://www.ns.nl/producten/en/losse-kaartjes-toeslagen

They are the Amsterdam Travel Ticket, Amsterdam region travel ticket or the Holland Travel Ticket.

With such a pass you can also cover your return to Schiphol, with the 4 hour advice given you should manage getting there with public transport, especially with carry on only . The public transport network is pretty dense and from Amsterdam it gives you enough alternative routes. The A10 ringway and A4 can be pretty congested during rush hour, chances between car and OV delays are pretty 50/50. :classic_smile:

Edited by FreestyleNovice

3 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

No direct busses, that's right. Train or tram plus metro is the way to go.

The Bijlmer ArenA railway station is a short walk and the main public transport hub for the Ziggo Dome, (and the ArenA stadium, AFAS Live venue), just walk down the Johan Cruijf Boulevard towards the Ziggo Dome.

From CS you can take the 54 Metro towards Gein. And CS is some 10 minutes from the Anne Frank House area.

Use https://9292.nl/en for all your public transport planning for The Netherlands, that planner has all the Dutch OV (openbaar vervoer) companies. 

Depending on your needs you might want to look into a multiple day pass to cover all your transport;

The Dutch Railways has a good overview of the current passes under the Tourism header at https://www.ns.nl/producten/en/losse-kaartjes-toeslagen

They are the Amsterdam Travel Ticket, Amsterdam region travel ticket or the Holland Travel Ticket.

With such a pass you can also cover your return to Schiphol, with the 4 hour advice given you should manage getting there with public transport, especially with carry on only . The public transport network is pretty dense and from Amsterdam it gives you enough alternative routes. The A10 ringway and A4 can be pretty congested during rush hour, chances between car and OV delays are pretty 50/50. :classic_smile:

Thank you. I intend to walk to CS then it looks like I can get direct train? Sorry, I live in LA where public transportation is not something we tend to use! 

17 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Thank you. I intend to walk to CS then it looks like I can get direct train? Sorry, I live in LA where public transportation is not something we tend to use! 

Yep! Depending on the concert (I assume) you will probably see fellow fans pretty soon and the walk to the Ziggo Dome after the train/metro is pretty obvious after that :classic_happy:

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2023 at 3:49 AM, Ine said:
On 5/14/2023 at 11:32 AM, Rondo said:

Be aware each person needs his own card

My DH and I both have our own card but they have the same account number.  Will that work?  Our contactless CC do not have a PIN, is that ok?

55 minutes ago, 0106 said:

My DH and I both have our own card but they have the same account number.  Will that work?  Our contactless CC do not have a PIN, is that ok?

The quote was in reference to each person needs their own "ticket", not credit card.

PINs on US cards are not required.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The quote was in reference to each person needs their own "ticket", not credit card.

No, the quote was in reference to each person needing to have their own credit or debit card if you want to use your credit or debit card to tap in and out. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

As long as you each have your very own card, it doesn’t matter that they are charged to the same account. So yes, this will work. 
You don’t need a PIN.

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2023 at 9:51 AM, Beachlover1989 said:

We are arriving at Schiphol and are staying at the Doubletree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.  We would like to just take the train from AMS to Centraal Station, but are confused about buying tickets.  Are there kiosks that will take a credit card?  Are there options in English or people around who can help you?

Haven't taken the train there but I'd be surprised if the kiosks don't have an English language option.  And actually within Schiphol, all signage is in English.  Not Dutch AND English, just English. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2023 at 9:51 AM, Beachlover1989 said:

We are arriving at Schiphol and are staying at the Doubletree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station.  We would like to just take the train from AMS to Centraal Station, but are confused about buying tickets.  Are there kiosks that will take a credit card?  Are there options in English or people around who can help you?

We don't have trains where we are so was very anxious about this but have done a few times.  Follow signs to train. Go to ticket machine at Airport.If option, select English.   Select where you want to go:  Amsterdam Centraal, purchase ticket with CC.  Take escalator or elevator down.  The platforms are marked very well.  I selected a train that was direct to Centraal Station.  There are others that make a few stops.  Exited at CS.  If you go out the front of the station vs the water side, you are closer to the hotel which is where we stayed.  If you exit the back, not a problem.  Out the front, turn left,  out the back, turn right.  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

We don't have trains where we are so was very anxious about this but have done a few times.  Follow signs to train. Go to ticket machine at Airport.If option, select English.   Select where you want to go:  Amsterdam Centraal, purchase ticket with CC.  Take escalator or elevator down.  The platforms are marked very well.  I selected a train that was direct to Centraal Station.  There are others that make a few stops.  Exited at CS.  If you go out the front of the station vs the water side, you are closer to the hotel which is where we stayed.  If you exit the back, not a problem.  Out the front, turn left,  out the back, turn right.  

We don't have trains either around here, thus why I'm anxious about it too. Thank you so much for this detailed explanation!