New up-charge in MDR on 2nd formal night on Crown (Alaska)

SiliconCruiser

On the second formal night we were greeted in the MDR (immediately after being seated) that there would be a $19 upcharge if you ordered more than one helping of the beef tenderloin and lobster (they didn't even call it "surf & turf".  The waitress was very kind and accommodating (20 year veteran of Princess) and thought it best to give us fair warning.  We do not fault the wait staff, only new Princess penny pinchers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

On the second formal night we were greeted in the MDR (immediately after being seated) that there would be a $19 upcharge if you ordered more than one helping of the beef tenderloin and lobster (they didn't even call it "surf & turf".  The waitress was very kind and accommodating (20 year veteran of Princess) and thought it best to give us fair warning.  We do not fault the wait staff, only new Princess penny pinchers.

Here we go!  I wonder if they will charge for a 2nd lobster?  They have been tiny in the MDR. 
Thanks for the heads up.

2 minutes ago, Waynetor said:

So now you have to have a main course, leave the restaurant and come back to a new table and order again

Do that many people really order 2 surf and turf?  I know the lobster, yes, it’s a baby one. 

18 minutes ago, Colorado Coasty said:

Just off Crown, no mention of this in Reserve Class. The normal up charges for filets and lobster were on the menu every night but never saw anyone order them.

On the Crown now and this is our first formal night tonight. So not this cruise (yet)? Surf and turn not on menu tonight.

51 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Do that many people really order 2 surf and turf?  I know the lobster, yes, it’s a baby one. 

That's probably why the Lobster is no longer offered separately.  On a side note, when we were in Vancouver, we ventured into the new Chinatown (Richmond) and witnessed a table of 5 who had ordered a whole King Crab.  The waitress told us that it was $88.88 per pound (CAD), but Chinese immigrants will probably recognize the significance of the "8"s.  

10 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

That's probably why the Lobster is no longer offered separately.  On a side note, when we were in Vancouver, we ventured into the new Chinatown (Richmond) and witnessed a table of 5 who had ordered a whole King Crab.  The waitress told us that it was $88.88 per pound (CAD), but Chinese immigrants will probably recognize the significance of the "8"s.  

When I was in the Coast Guard in the 70s, we would buy king crab in Dutch Harbor for 50 cents a pound. Always came home with a 50 lb. block of legs and claws for $25.

• Like 3

Since the lobster in the MDR isn't the best, I won't be tempted to order one, let alone two.  Anyone remember surf and turf was a dinky steak and two very large prawns (no lobster)?  I liked those prawns.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Since the lobster in the MDR isn't the best, I won't be tempted to order one, let alone two.  Anyone remember surf and turf was a dinky steak and two very large prawns (no lobster)?  I liked those prawns.

There is a lobster tail upsell on the menu. I don't eat lobster tail so I can't comment on quality:

image.thumb.jpeg.e19d30c12749c3fd938e3ef0e894ab26.jpeg

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Coral said:

There is a lobster tail upsell on the menu. I don't eat lobster tail so I can't comment on quality:

image.thumb.jpeg.e19d30c12749c3fd938e3ef0e894ab26.jpeg

The menu posted is a non-formal night menu.  You can order the upcharge lobster/filet mignon any night of the cruise in the MDR.

What the OP was speaking of is extra lobster/beef medallion orders on the formal night where it's a standard offering on the MDR menu.  In the future, you will have to pay extra for any extra servings of the above items, if the OP's insight is correct.

Waiters have reasoned with me before that the cover charge for the MDR included in the cruise fare is per head and not per plate so I could order as many helpings of a dish I would like.  I guess this logic is changing.

The lobster quality as of OK as long as you eat early.  The later in the evening you eat, the longer it's been sitting on heating trays and the more rubbery and less tender they get.  I do agree that recently they are quite tiny once the meat is removed from the shell.  I've eaten prawns in Asia that were larger sometimes.

Just now, SCX22 said:

The menu posted is a non-formal night menu.  You can order the upcharge lobster/filet mignon any night of the cruise in the MDR.

This menu is posted tonight and is a formal night on the Crown Princess. It is the first formal night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

When we were on the Grand last September, a couple next to us were on their 15th lobster when we left. It was formal night and it was on the regular menu... All you can eat.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Waynetor said:

So now you have to have a main course, leave the restaurant and come back to a new table and order again

That was my first thought.

Now they'll have to keep track of the number of times each person enters any  restaurant with the medallion, 😄

5 hours ago, nini said:

When we were on the Grand last September, a couple next to us were on their 15th lobster when we left. It was formal night and it was on the regular menu... All you can eat.

That’s ridiculous!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

Not that one.

I will confirm on our 2nd formal night.

I assume you were on the last cruise?

BTW - they have put Fettuccine Alfredo back on the menu every night (I have not seen lasagna) and there is a NY Strip steak every night in the dining room on the Princess favorites.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, mevs904 said:

I agree with Kay S.  We go to Maine frequently so we are not impressed with the lobsters on Princess.

The MDR "included" lobster tail is probably Caribbean lobster, and the upsell one is likely Canadian considering that they did not specify "Maine lobster tail".  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I will confirm on our 2nd formal night.

I assume you were on the last cruise?

BTW - they have put Fettuccine Alfredo back on the menu every night (I have not seen lasagna) and there is a NY Strip steak every night in the dining room on the Princess favorites.

Yes, May 5-12 on the Crown.  Was not the case on the Royal when we did a b2b2b from 4/16-5/3.  The menus on the Alaska leg were marked as "Alaska nnnn" in the lower right hand corner, so they may have a different set of menus for this venue.

If they intend to upgrade the quality of the surf and turf served free in the dining room it would benefit all and would justify the extra charge for those wanting extra helpings.  I hope that is the case but if it isn't this policy won't bother me.  With all of the courses, there's plenty to eat in the MDR.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

That’s ridiculous!

@PacnGoNow LOL! I am in agreement. Actually, I think it was more than that but we lost count and finished our dinner before they did... they were still eating lobster. Oh, and I tend to eat slowly.

• Haha 1

from what I've seen, it's pretty common that people order a 2nd and sometimes a 3rd lobster (one has always been plenty for us; as @azbirdmom says, with all the courses, there's a lot to eat already).     I've not seen anyone go for 15, or even half a dozen, but believe it happens.    That behavior may be part of what's behind the new surcharge for seconds of that special entree.

• Like 5