New up-charge in MDR on 2nd formal night on Crown (Alaska)

SiliconCruiser

7 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

If they intend to upgrade the quality of the surf and turf served free in the dining room it would benefit all and would justify the extra charge for those wanting extra helpings.  I hope that is the case but if it isn't this policy won't bother me.  With all of the courses, there's plenty to eat in the MDR.

I have yet to go hungry on a cruise and I refuse the extra upcharge items and I avoid specialty dining unless it's part of a package or a gift from my TA.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, tjcletzgo said:

I usually order both the formal night dinner of lobster and beef Wellington. Will there be an up charge for this???

They haven't begun to charge for double orders like that yet but if people continue to order excessive lobster tails, they just might.

Didn't Carnival start charging extra for their lobster? 

14 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

In November, Carnival started charging $5 for all main dining room entrees past the second per person per meal.  Source:  https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-line-adds-dining-charges-and-makes-changes/86374

That sounds "reasonable" for most people. 

I'm certain that they'll be a few who will have to make another trip back to the DR for more.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

In November, Carnival started charging $5 for all main dining room entrees past the second per person per meal.  Source:  https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-line-adds-dining-charges-and-makes-changes/86374

Seems a third entree is excessive and should be an extra charge. JMHO

• Like 7

On 5/14/2023 at 3:20 PM, tjcletzgo said:

I usually order both the formal night dinner of lobster and beef Wellington. Will there be an up charge for this???

They did not have the Beef Wellington or the lobster tail separately on the menu, only the surf & turf combo.  This was on the second formal night, same night as the Captain's Circle Party.

On 5/13/2023 at 9:13 PM, PacnGoNow said:

Here we go!  I wonder if they will charge for a 2nd lobster?  They have been tiny in the MDR. 
Thanks for the heads up.

Consider that on HAL they no longer offer lobster unless you pay an upcharge.  Princess and HAL are part of the same group all under the leadership of Jan Swartz.  This is just the beginning for a corporation that has over $30 Billion of debt.

Hank

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

Consider that on HAL they no longer offer lobster unless you pay an upcharge.  Princess and HAL are part of the same group all under the leadership of Jan Swartz.  This is just the beginning for a corporation that has over $30 Billion of debt.

Hank

I’m afraid you are right.  Well we won’t starve. 🤣

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 7:55 AM, malba2366 said:

The MDR "included" lobster tail is probably Caribbean lobster, and the upsell one is likely Canadian considering that they did not specify "Maine lobster tail".  

The upsell lobster being Canadian is just fine, when you know that Canadian lobster is better than Maine lobster. Speaking as a proud Canadian.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 7:38 PM, SiliconCruiser said:

That's probably why the Lobster is no longer offered separately.  On a side note, when we were in Vancouver, we ventured into the new Chinatown (Richmond) and witnessed a table of 5 who had ordered a whole King Crab.  The waitress told us that it was $88.88 per pound (CAD), but Chinese immigrants will probably recognize the significance of the "8"s.  

Lobster was offered separately on the Crown Princess April 14 -29 Cruise. I ordered 2, they were tasty. 

On the Emerald, there was no upcharge mentioned for a second lobster on the formal night.  (I think it was second and third formal nights, but I don’t eat lobster and I don’t have my photos of the menus in front of me.). And when lobster was on the “normal” MDR menu, they did not offer the Crown Grill up-charged lobster on the menu.  (I am assuming that the up-charged steak and lobster are still from the Crown Grill.)