Arvia Adventure Begins - May 2023

Megabear2

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

Generally no, just try not to get involved in discussions about dress code!

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

There were a few things that we preferred about P&O though. Are there as many defensive folk over there as there are here? 😂 

Hate to disagree with Host Hattie,  there are a similiary "Cunarders" who would take umbrage at any sugestion that P&O was better than Cunard at anything. However your review / comparison of the two would be of interest to many on both boards. So don't let anything put you off posting it.

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 2

On 5/19/2023 at 10:54 PM, ohnonotmeagain said:

Whilst I'm delighted that have been given something in the "form" of compensation,even though it was through your personal contact, not HQ direct. it's the other passengers that DON'T have this support, I feel sorry for .Where do they go and who listens to them? While you can do something on board to resolve this  issues or just get the ball rolling,others seem to have nothing,no game plan,no friends in high places. Previously you indicated 30 cabins suffered from niose. I'm certainly NOT expecting you to resolve their problems but have they got any advocates? Does this sound harsh?????it's definitely not meant to come across that was.

It does sound a bit harsh to me. No, MB2 cannot advocate for the others, especially if, as you say, they don't have friends in high places, but what she is doing is, hopefully, going to help a lot more passengers in the future because, by highlighting all the issues, P&O surely will have to listen to her, and other complainants, and try to resolve them for future cruises. 

And, she did actually offer support to two ver elderly passengers, by getting them a taxi which, she, herself, was unable to use. I think she's gone overboard (excuse the pun) to be fair to P&O, while chronicling all the very many issues that have arisen - as I am only up to Friday's posts, I have no idea what, if anything, else occurs!

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, DS_Dean said:

It was a wait again today but thankfully not as bad. We got the sea boat back which was nicer than the coach 🙂

That's really good to hear that it wasn't as bad for you today, and that you had a great return journey. 

24 minutes ago, DS_Dean said:

It was a wait again today but thankfully not as bad. We got the sea boat back which was nicer than the coach 🙂

Left here 9.45 this morning, used from exit.  To get to exit for bus this queue mixed in with one coming from.midships.  lots of sniping from fellow passengers about queue jumping! Couldn't find the sign for the bus but shuttle queue was huge.  Had a vague recollection of a free port bus from last July on Princess and followed the passengers from MSC ship to see.  Low and behold 5 mins walk a bus stop, small queue.  No idea if it was for all but no one questioned me.

Coming back as rain was starting, saw queue and thought here we go again.  However after 15 minutes noticed an officer appear shouting anyone want to come for the boat so I followed him and the crowd. Much more civilised.

Pictures taken at 10.05, one queue doubled back along most of the ship.

20230522_101921.jpg

20230522_101919.jpg

20230522_101917.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Left here 9.45 this morning, used from exit.  To get to exit for bus this queue mixed in with one coming from.midships.  lots of sniping from fellow passengers about queue jumping! Couldn't find the sign for the bus but shuttle queue was huge.  Had a vague recollection of a free port bus from last July on Princess and followed the passengers from MSC ship to see.  Low and behold 5 mins walk a bus stop, small queue.  No idea if it was for all but no one questioned me.

Coming back as rain was starting, saw queue and thought here we go again.  However after 15 minutes noticed an officer appear shouting anyone want to come for the boat so I followed him and the crowd. Much more civilised.

Pictures taken at 10.05, one queue doubled back along most of the ship.

20230522_101921.jpg

20230522_101919.jpg

20230522_101917.jpg

Really pleased you didn't get caught up in the queue for too long Megabear, and that you knew about the free port bus. That's really handy to know. 

We had read some passengers were waiting over an hour to get off this morning.

Hope you had a lovely day ashore.

It seems pretty obvious that P and O have not yet got a clue about how to cope with the very large numbers they now have on these new ships.  I admit I would be pretty cross if I had to spend so much time in queues even just to get to spend time in a port.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, lincslady said:

It seems pretty obvious that P and O have not yet got a clue about how to cope with the very large numbers they now have on these new ships.  I admit I would be pretty cross if I had to spend so much time in queues even just to get to spend time in a port.

That's pretty much the case. It just seems like they don't have the experience right now to properly manage capacity, at least not on Arvia.

I did appreciate the sea boat option though this time.

• Like 4

I believe neither Arvia or Iona has ever tendered and aren't intending to.  Pretty obvious it wouldn't work.  Not sure what would happen with a port change in the Caribbean for Arvia, assume it would have to be another relaxing day at sea.

I may be wrong but I can't recall any of the big RCI ships tendering either, basically impossible I'd guess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I believe neither Arvia or Iona has ever tendered and aren't intending to.  Pretty obvious it wouldn't work.  Not sure what would happen with a port change in the Caribbean for Arvia, assume it would have to be another relaxing day at sea.

I may be wrong but I can't recall any of the big RCI ships tendering either, basically impossible I'd guess.

Would hate to tender on Arvia in Caribbean.

Would probably just stay on the ship if that ever happened

3 hours ago, Technoman2 said:

Looks like Marseille and Palma are the worse 2 ports for bottlenecks. There was a double line in Barcelona outward but it did clear very quickly with lots of shuttle buses. Return at 2pm straight on and no waiting.

Don't tempt fate ... tomorrow and Barcelona looms!

9 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Don't tempt fate ... tomorrow and Barcelona looms!

To be fair, once the early queue to get off at Barcelona on our trip last month dissipated, it was a breeze on the shuttle run to the WTC and back again. Much better than Valencia and Marseille.  Having said that, aren't you there just for one day rather than our two days? That could have been the difference on ours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerB said:

To be fair, once the early queue to get off at Barcelona on our trip last month dissipated, it was a breeze on the shuttle run to the WTC and back again. Much better than Valencia and Marseille.  Having said that, aren't you there just for one day rather than our two days? That could have been the difference on ours.

Yes, just the one.  We shall see.  Several at dinner saying they aren't going off as they've had enough of the shuttles. That and hopefully others having been before might help.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Arvia and Iona don't have any tenders, they are all survival craft with a capacity of over 300 passengers, maybe over 400

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes, just the one.  We shall see.  Several at dinner saying they aren't going off as they've had enough of the shuttles. That and hopefully others having been before might help.  

Plus, of course, the fact that Barcelona port run their own shuttles in addition to those provided by P&O.  The port shuttles were definitely still running when we were there on Arvia in April.  So, if it is busy, passengers can pick which one they queue for. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Plus, of course, the fact that Barcelona port run their own shuttles in addition to those provided by P&O.  The port shuttles were definitely still running when we were there on Arvia in April.  So, if it is busy, passengers can pick which one they queue for. 

Great. That will help.  I shall definitely go that way then.

7 hours ago, davecttr said:

Arvia and Iona don't have any tenders, they are all survival craft with a capacity of over 300 passengers, maybe over 400

Whatever they are I've no plans for trying them out any time soon!!

• Haha 1

9.45 first announcement no shuttles and due to weather we are holding people on-board until shuttles return.  It's now started to bucket down again!

I was going to take port shuttle but currently not allowed to go through security.  I've decided to sit tight, gone back to Quays for more coffee. Now a bit less full but the Keep & Cow area is rapidly filling.

If the rain doesn't stop I might pass on going in, although I'll visit the terminal as I'm looking for a Dali elephant I couldn't buy last year due to time limitations.

We shall see. Lots of miserable looking people wandering around now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1