Why do people give reviews on insurance they never used?

We purchase travel insurance regularly and always wonder why the vast majority of reviews are left by people who never used it.  Their reviews are typically, "We didn't have to use it, thank goodness.  I gave it five stars anyway."

Folks, this skews the ratings. It is like reviewing an appliance you have never used or a restaurant you have never stepped foot in. Am I wrong in my thinking?  I imagine the ratings would be much, much lower if only people who used it gave a review.

• Like 4

That's a very good question.

We have responded to many questions about travel insurance, but we have had quite a few policies and several claims (including a few large ones).

So we can indeed speak to the process of selecting a policy (with the help of www.TripInsuranceStore.com) and of getting claims paid (from Travel Insured, the insurer that TIS helped us find).

It is important to buy "the right policy", but that may not be known or appreciated until/unless one does file a claim.  And one can't know if the policy someone helped you to purchase (or simply sold to you, perhaps only online) is indeed satisfactory for your needs unless.......

I think the complaints about claims are also problemmatic.  Many of those are because the policy never covered the reason for the claim in the first place.  Yes, that's a serious problem, but many people seem happy with their online purchases, and so much of the critical "fine print" simply isn't included in the online policy summaries.

TIS takes a lot of time to help someone find a policy that best fits *their* needs/interests, although they also have an online process that could bypass the interaction.

And they will help with claims if requested.  (We had them look over our first claim, which was a biggie, and that made us feel more comfortable when we submitted it, although I'm sure we'd have been fine anyway.)

I wish we did not have all the experience with travel insurance claims, but we do.  So we can indeed speak from experience, and with quite a few different types of claims.

We "won't leave home without it" (or at least, not for foreign trips!).

GC

• Like 1

I'm constantly telling people not to take insurance recommendations based on how quickly the company deposited the premiums.

No matter how quickly they do that, or how cheap it is, it's worthless if it won't cover what you need covered.  

Ask for a policy in advance.  If they won't send one (I've run into that; I required one ten times and never got one), don't buy.  It never gets better than the marketing department.

That's why I also urge people to look at consumer sites regarding insurance companies, such as the Better Business Bureau.  You'll get a feel for what they want to do with legitimate claims.  You'll find plenty of companies that spend months "processing", then "lose" the forms, and eventually issue checks that are short the full amount, knowing people will give up on pursuing the claims or the amounts they haven't paid.

Claims handling is an extremely important consideration.  The most important, IMO.    In addition to claims handling there is also coverage, cost and service.    

• 2 weeks later...

I just received three checks totaling the full amount requested. My husband came down with COVID and had complications because of preexisting issues. Here is how we had success:

1. Not only did I keep all the receipts, but I also submitted a table of the various expenses with a code corresponding to each piece of paperwork. It likely made their job much easier.  They sent us the checks about three weeks after we submitted. 

2. I requested a letter from the doctor in Poland stating that she recommended my husband return back to the USA for treatment. 

3. Nationwide was very good about payment but was no help while we were in a crisis in a country where we couldn't speak the language. Not everyone (that includes the receptionist at the hospital) speaks English, despite what people might tell you. Their team in Krakow never returned our call. They were supposed to be locating doctors who could speak English.  I did my own research, found our flights to return home, and did the rest.

4. If you have to return home while you aren't feeling great, be sure to arrange airport assistance. They were all fantastic- four airports!  We couldn't have made it without their help.

• Like 1