Passport expiring before 6 months.

carefree lady

4 hours ago, anabella95 said:

We are set to travel to Spain, France, and Italy this August.  My son's passport expires this December. We haven't had time to renew it because of back-to-back cruises.   I am afraid to renew it now since we won't have enough time for our trip this August.  Should we be okay with it being before the 6 months?

I would check with the airline

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/passport-rules-regulations-invalid-expired/2021/03/31/2e5c7d80-8bd6-11eb-a730-1b4ed9656258_story.html

16 hours ago, lostchild said:

I think Spain, France and Italy only need 3 months so you should be fine.   Although if you renew it now with expediated service, you will probably get it back before end of July.   Not sure if you want to risk it or not.

We ended up getting an appointment last night at the local library.  We expedite it with overnight shipping to be on the safe side. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, anabella95 said:

Thank you for the information.  The passport expires on 12/14/2023. We are traveling from 8/16/20 to 8/27/23.  I made an appointment with the post office for this Friday.  We plan to expedite this.  I also called Boston Passport Agency for the appointment but they said it needs to be 14 days prior to going in person.  They shared that if I don't get in 2 weeks prior to we leave, I should call and go in person.  What a headache. ****update...after calling a few place we ended up getting an appointment with a local library who was able to fit us in at 7:30 pm...We expedited the passport and did overnight shipping.***

On 5/18/2023 at 7:06 AM, markeb said:

you can't enter by air on either end without a passport (or Nexus or Sentri). And you can enter the United States as a US citizen with any valid passport. There's no time requirement. 

You can always enter without a passport, if you happen to make it on a plane or arrive at a land or sea border station. 

You will have to undergo more extensive identity checks and verification. US citizens cannot be denied entry to the US. Even without a passport. 

Just for some info I applied for a renewal of my passport and did not expedite it. It took 6 weeks to receive my new passport. Live in Fl. I was nervous because we only had 5 months between cruises. Good luck. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 4:19 PM, The Traveling Man said:

We recently were on a cruise which had a port stop in Panama. We were informed that Panama requires visitors to carry a passport with them which is valid at least six months beyond the planned date of their exit from Panama.

They either gave you incorrect information or the requirement has changed.  We had  a Panama stop in January.   We did a tour of Panama and my passport was in my safe on board.

Edited by jagoffee

22 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

They either gave you incorrect information or the requirement has changed.  We had  a Panama stop in January.   We did a tour of Panama and my passport was in my safe on board.

Panama inspected all of our passports in February of 2022.  It caught the cruise line (different line) a bit by surprise as they had to at the last minute set up a way to collect them and re-distribute them mid cruise. Maybe they aren’t consistent. 

On 5/17/2023 at 7:08 AM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I have done this on a Panama Canal cruise.  None of the countries we visited required six months remaining on the passport (I believe I had four or five at the time).  I also checked with Celebrity who confirmed that their only requirement was that the passport be valid through the date of your return.

When I called Celebrity about my cruise out of Vancouver , they said 6 months.

Don’t you just love consistency?🙄

45 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Passengers were required to show their passport when checking in at the Miami cruise terminal for travel on the Sky.  Passengers leaving the ship in Panama for a shore excursion were reminded with a note attached to their shorex ticket that they must carry their passport when exiting the ship for their tour.  An announcement was made by shorex personnel when we met in the auditorium prior to leaving the ship to go ashore in Panama.  However, no one in Panama ever asked to see our passports.  Our cruise departed Miami on 6 February 2023 and docked in Colon, Panama on 11 February.

10 hours ago, Pennstatedj said:

Just for some info I applied for a renewal of my passport and did not expedite it. It took 6 weeks to receive my new passport. Live in Fl. I was nervous because we only had 5 months between cruises. Good luck. 

They received my application and check on May 3rd. I requested expedited delivery.  My cruise is 5 weeks from that date.

So by your experience, I should be fine.

Did you do this recently? I ask because every month or so the wait time increases.

I sent mine in for renewal the first Monday in April and just checked on the website. Said it was approved and being printed. Estimated mail date is May 23. That's about 6 weeks or so on a regular time period, not expedited. I have a cruise late July and was concerned, so sent in earlier than I normally would have.

• Like 1

We sent our’s in a week ago.  Website says it was received today and gave an estimated time of 10-13 weeks for routine, not expedited service. We had cancelled our June/July cruises and next cruise is early December, so we should be good to go. I was really hoping the online renewal trial would be still in effect or permanently adopted by this time. 

On 5/17/2023 at 1:12 PM, anabella95 said:

Thank you for the information.  The passport expires on 12/14/2023. We are traveling from 8/16/20 to 8/27/23.  I made an appointment with the post office for this Friday.  We plan to expedite this.  I also called Boston Passport Agency for the appointment but they said it needs to be 14 days prior to going in person.  They shared that if I don't get in 2 weeks prior to we leave, I should call and go in person.  What a headache. 

We did the expedited passport renewal, and only had eight weeks to our sailing date.  Not a problem. We received our passports in plenty of time.   As back up though we had our birth certificates and driver's license as it was a closed loop Los Angeles Pacific Coastal down to Cabo San Lucas.  Celebrity said not a problem.  Relax.  All good.

2 hours ago, MandL said:

We did the expedited passport renewal, and only had eight weeks to our sailing date.  Not a problem. We received our passports in plenty of time.   As back up though we had our birth certificates and driver's license as it was a closed loop Los Angeles Pacific Coastal down to Cabo San Lucas.  Celebrity said not a problem.  Relax.  All good.

So exactly how many weeks was it when it arrived in the your mail box from when they received your application?

Edited by Tinknock50

13 hours ago, Tinknock50 said:

They received my application and check on May 3rd. I requested expedited delivery.  My cruise is 5 weeks from that date.

So by your experience, I should be fine.

Did you do this recently? I ask because every month or so the wait time increases.

I applied on Feb 20 of this year and got it back last week of April. We send to the southern office since we live in Fl. good luck. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2023 at 6:09 AM, carefree lady said:

I may not have enough time between cruises to renew my passport so that's it good for 6 months. The cruises would be from Fort Lauderdale visiting the Caribbean. Has anyone used a passport that expired in less than 6 months?

You’ll need to check the document requirements for your itinerary. Martinique and Guadeloupe are two islands where entry could be an issue. You won’t have any issue returning to the US even if you have to fly home due to an emergency 

20 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Sure you will.

You are mistaken. US citizens face no difficulty returning to their own country from the Caribbean a valid passport. 

Edited by Torfamm

11 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Not if they need to do it on an airplane.

You might be thinking of last year’s change that stopped allowing US citizens to travel home with an expired passport. Currently, you need a valid, i.e. unexpired, US passport if you are a US citizen entering the US by air. There is no requirement regarding how soon it expires for US entry

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-3618?language=en_US

IMG_5541.thumb.jpeg.d4015c270a3110ac616eed53859860c4.jpeg

3 hours ago, Pennstatedj said:

I applied on Feb 20 of this year and got it back last week of April. We send to the southern office since we live in Fl. good luck. 

Official wait times were shorter in February. Expedited is now

“7 to 9 weeks”, as per the website.

So I am less confident getting it on time.

I will know more when I call on the 26th.

I already have plans to fly across country to fetch if that becomes necessary.

6 hours ago, Pennstatedj said:

Processing times have gotten longer since then. I sent mine in for renewal in Dec and got it back in Jan. I do like the new format of the Next Generation Passport

3 hours ago, Torfamm said:

You might be thinking of last year’s change that stopped allowing US citizens to travel home with an expired passport.

Not exactly.  My original error was thinking that you you were of the opinion that a US citizen could fly back to the US without a passport.  Of course, that is not what you said.  My mistake!

• Thanks 1