Passport expiring before 6 months.

carefree lady

On 5/19/2023 at 3:45 PM, prmssk said:

Panama inspected all of our passports in February of 2022.  It caught the cruise line (different line) a bit by surprise as they had to at the last minute set up a way to collect them and re-distribute them mid cruise. Maybe they aren’t consistent. 

On 5/19/2023 at 4:18 PM, The Traveling Man said:

Passengers were required to show their passport when checking in at the Miami cruise terminal for travel on the Sky.  Passengers leaving the ship in Panama for a shore excursion were reminded with a note attached to their shorex ticket that they must carry their passport when exiting the ship for their tour.  An announcement was made by shorex personnel when we met in the auditorium prior to leaving the ship to go ashore in Panama.  However, no one in Panama ever asked to see our passports.  Our cruise departed Miami on 6 February 2023 and docked in Colon, Panama on 11 February.

My cruise was on Princess in January.  Our shore excursion was in Panama City.  A little strange that the policy is not consistent.  

On 5/19/2023 at 11:33 PM, Tinknock50 said:

So exactly how many weeks was it when it arrived in the your mail box from when they received your application?

Four weeks.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 2:33 AM, Tinknock50 said:

So exactly how many weeks was it when it arrived in the your mail box from when they received your application?

DH submitted his renewal mid-January and it took 13 weeks until it showed up in the mailbox. We have Global Entry so I thought it would be quicker as there should have been less to check.

The news is reporting that it is taking longer to process now and waits are long. Plan on it taking longer than expected and don't expect any country to give you a "bye" with 3 months left.....then you won't be disappointed. Websites are all over the place with expiration dates, they all contradict each other. Some passport officers will let things slide, some won't and some airlines might deny you boarding. It makes traveling difficult and quite stressful!

Moral of the story......plan ahead. Look at your passport NOW!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Great reminder for the rest of us.   Check your passport every year so you can renew ahead of time.

I just checked mine and DW's and put a reminder on my calendar to renew after my March 2024 cruise. We'll have a travel lull at that time.

15 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Great reminder for the rest of us.   Check your passport every year so you can renew ahead of time.

In my case, I have always known exactly when my passport expired.

My cruise vacation starts June 9th.

My passport expires 3 months after the cruise so I figured I was good to go.

Then when I learned I needed 6 months left on it to travel, (as told by Celebrity), I immediately filed and sent my current passport in and paid for expedited and 2 day mail.

I only began to worry when I read about the glut of applications and the increasingly longer wait times with each passing month.

Edited by Tinknock50

18 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

DH submitted his renewal mid-January and it took 13 weeks until it showed up in the mailbox. We have Global Entry so I thought it would be quicker as there should have been less to check.

The news is reporting that it is taking longer to process now and waits are long. Plan on it taking longer than expected and don't expect any country to give you a "bye" with 3 months left.....then you won't be disappointed. Websites are all over the place with expiration dates, they all contradict each other. Some passport officers will let things slide, some won't and some airlines might deny you boarding. It makes traveling difficult and quite stressful!

Moral of the story......plan ahead. Look at your passport NOW!

You must have not paid for expedited? I submitted my renewal very end of February and received it middle of April, so 6 weeks total. 

28 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

You must have not paid for expedited? I submitted my renewal very end of February and received it middle of April, so 6 weeks total. 

No we did not pay for expedited. At the time, they were saying 7-9 weeks, so felt that 4 months would be plenty!

I will admit that when we hit the 12-week mark, I started to get a bit jumpy! 🫣

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

No we did not pay for expedited. At the time, they were saying 7-9 weeks, so felt that 4 months would be plenty!

I will admit that when we hit the 12-week mark, I started to get a bit jumpy! 🫣

Basically, you were the only passports in the queue that didn't pay to expedite... 😁

(I actually assume that system isn't that simplistic, but who knows!)