Kid questions! Royal Princess Alaska

hersheysmom78

Hi all! I’ll be on Royal Princess to Alaska  this summer with a 4yr old and almost 2yr old and had a couple of questions:

1. Can I bring juice boxes for my kids? I don’t really give them juice bc of the sugar and give them these boxes that are mostly water, little actual juice. Also assuming other packaged snacks, applesauce packets etc are ok?

2. I know my little one cannot get in the pool bc of the diaper but is there anything for an under 2 yr old to do? Any water activity, splash area?

3. We will be in a mini suite and have seen word there may be a shower/tub combo? Is it possible to give a tub bath or do I need to bring my own inflatable tub? 

also anything anyone wishes they brought for their kids and didn’t or helpful tips would be nice to hear- thanks!

You can bring a pack of boxed drinks onboard like juice boxes. Technically 1 12pk of drinks per person, no plastic bottles. 

No water play areas on Royal for young children. 

Yes, there is a deep tub in the minis. I am in a mini now on Royal, I will try to attach a pic.

20230517_075716.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hersheysmom78 said:

Hi all! I’ll be on Royal Princess to Alaska  this summer with a 4yr old and almost 2yr old and had a couple of questions:

1. Can I bring juice boxes for my kids? I don’t really give them juice bc of the sugar and give them these boxes that are mostly water, little actual juice. Also assuming other packaged snacks, applesauce packets etc are ok?

2. I know my little one cannot get in the pool bc of the diaper but is there anything for an under 2 yr old to do? Any water activity, splash area?

3. We will be in a mini suite and have seen word there may be a shower/tub combo? Is it possible to give a tub bath or do I need to bring my own inflatable tub? 

also anything anyone wishes they brought for their kids and didn’t or helpful tips would be nice to hear- thanks!

You can bring unlimited amount of juice boxes, no bottles.  Also pre-packaged snacks.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hersheysmom78 said:

Looks like I can leave the inflatable tub at home

For sure.  The tubs in the mini-suites are real, honest to goodness tubs.  Really wish that the upcoming Sphere Class Ships were not abandoning them.  

• Like 1

If you want to get Stanley bears for your kids you may want to order them (via the cruise Personalizer) before your sailing.  On our recent Discovery voyage (4/15) they were not available in the gift shop, so if you didn’t order one beforehand, you couldn’t get one.  

After two sailings with no Stanleys we pre-ordered, and my daughter dragged him everywhere on the ship.  She got tired of people stopping us to ask where we got him!

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

For sure.  The tubs in the mini-suites are real, honest to goodness tubs.  Really wish that the upcoming Sphere Class Ships were not abandoning them.  

for someone with balance issues - that be me - it's welcome to be able to upgrade to a 'better' cabin and NOT have the shower/tub combo - that's entirely my opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

13 minutes ago, voljeep said:

it's welcome to be able to upgrade to a 'better' cabin and NOT have the shower/tub combo

More choices are always better than fewer.  Your concerns are certainly valid.  But pardon the pun, but they threw the baby out with the bath water.  Parents very much like the ability to bathe their kids.  Can't understand why the decision had to be made to jettison all tubs instead of mixing up the cabins so that some had them and some don't.  I generally detest one size fits all "solutions".

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 1

I'll be on the Royal on Saturday with a 4 year old.

They do not have splash pads from what I read...just pools. 

Camp Discovery is the kids club (drop off and must be potty trained) but it is for ages 3 and up; they are supposed to be really great, especially for Alaska itineraries; I think there is an area for kids under age 3 in the kids club but with parental supervision; I will check for you on my cruise.

I plan to bring lots of snacks (excursions), tablet if needed for entertainment, coloring/activity books, especially to keep entertained during meal times. Also definitely our white noise machine, his water cup, sunscreen, ziploc bags, extra wipes, every medicine imaginable just in case (because not readily available on the ship) and inflatable bed rails as he will be sleeping on the sofa bed to prevent him from rolling off. Also kids Dramamine just in case--we took him on his first cruise in January and didn't need it but Alaska waters may be a little rougher. I also just got these lollipops for motion sickness just in case: 

https://www.amazon.com/Tumeez-Organic-Tummy-Soothing-Kids/dp/B07JHWS2T5

Some good info here as to what to bring too: 

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/onboard/cruising-with-family/

Edited by SuzieQ521

26 minutes ago, voljeep said:

for someone with balance issues - that be me - it's welcome to be able to upgrade to a 'better' cabin and NOT have the shower/tub combo - that's entirely my opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

Yes but then they would have to bring a portable tub fill it etc.   Mini suites are the only cabins that have the tub combo. Not sure what a “better” cabin would be Grand Class full suites have a soaking tub but it is even deeper and costs way more

On our first cruise with our daughter she wasn’t able to use the pools or kids club.  We were able to take her to the kids club and she could play as long as one parent (and only one) stayed with her.

So I remember spending lots of time in the kids club, walking around the pool in the water overlap area so she could splash her feet, paying hide and seek on the upper deck at night, eating ice cream, and rolling golf balls around on the putting green.

No splash pad, or toddler specific facilities, but still plenty of great things to do.

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Yes but then they would have to bring a portable tub fill it etc.   Mini suites are the only cabins that have the tub combo. Not sure what a “better” cabin would be Grand Class full suites have a soaking tub but it is even deeper and costs way more

yep

One ‘scratch your head’ decision on MSC…they have random balcony cabins that have the tub/shower…but they are only for two people.  The tub takes up a bit more cabin space so there is no third bed.  EM