Live from Iona Norwegian Fjords 20th May 7 Nights

15 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Partly. Stuck in Barca for two days as tendering in Villefranche not possible so port (my favourite) cancelled. No internet TV for next two days apparently. Football fans must be ashore watching matches as pub is empty! Loss of drink revenue?  Yesterday, shuttle to Valencia did not go to city but dumped everyone at the science park and shopping centre miles away! Lots of very unhappy pax! 

I would be disappointed about Villefranche. We only went there once, around 2006 and did a full day trip to Nice and somewhere else. I’ve always wanted to go back and spend more time in Villefranche. I would be in the ‘I only booked this cruise to go to Villefranche’ camp! 

• Like 2

Just now, Dermotsgirl said:

I would be disappointed about Villefranche. We only went there once, around 2006 and did a full day trip to Nice and somewhere else. I’ve always wanted to go back and spend more time in Villefranche. I would be in the ‘I only booked this cruise to go to Villefranche’ camp! 

Absolutely. Lovely place. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Partly. Stuck in Barca for two days as tendering in Villefranche not possible so port (my favourite) cancelled. No internet TV for next two days apparently. Football fans must be ashore watching matches as pub is empty! Loss of drink revenue?  Yesterday, shuttle to Valencia did not go to city but dumped everyone at the science park and shopping centre miles away! Lots of very unhappy pax! 

Understandable you are disappointed with missing your favourite port. Do you know why the shuttle in Valencia took you there and not into the centre?

11 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Friends in Alicante say Spain outlook for next few days is rain. We are headed for  Italy. Hope weather there will improve!  Fingers crossed. Nice  at home though. Typical! 

We have Marseilles tomorrow. Current forecast 25 degrees with thunderstorms with Barcelona the day after.  We will probably get wet again! 

1 minute ago, CarlaMarie said:

Understandable you are disappointed with missing your favourite port. Do you know why the shuttle in Valencia took you there and not into the centre?

No. Luckily, having been to Valencia many times, I went to Denia and had a very nice day there. Can't believe P&O let their pax down so badly by not dropping off in the city as per usual. Not acceptable. 

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

We have Marseilles tomorrow. Current forecast 25 degrees with thunderstorms with Barcelona the day after.  We will probably get wet again! 

Yes. Wanted to get away from the flipping rain! 🌧

3 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

No. Luckily, having been to Valencia many times, I went to Denia and had a very nice day there. Can't believe P&O let their pax down so badly by not dropping off in the city as per usual. Not acceptable. 

Shuttles in Valencia from Arvia in Apr also went to the science park, rather than the centre of town.  But, that may not be P&O's fault - there was at least one other ship in port and all of the shuttles went to and from the science park.  Perhaps the port / town has imposed restrictions and now insists on that?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Shuttles in Valencia from Arvia in Apr also went to the science park, rather than the centre of town.  But, that may not be P&O's fault - there was at least one other ship in port and all of the shuttles went to and from the science park.  Perhaps the port / town has imposed restrictions and now insists on that?

Wonder with the complaints they have with regards to shuttles quicker turn around times than going into the city and being stuck in traffic.

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I can’t imagine that many people would be happy being dropped anywhere other the city centre. Seems a bit pointless. 

Agreed.  But if the cruise lines are given no choice in the matter, then there's not much that can be done.  We didn't try ourselves, but the staff at the drop-off point were giving people a map and instructions as to how to walk into the centre of town and saying that it would take about 15 minutes.  And, no-one should have been in any doubt as to where the shuttle was going to drop them off, because it said explicitly in the Horizon the evening before that it was running to and from the science park.

Although the Valencia science park and all the stuff looks quite interesting etc we wanted to go to the old town.  Its about a 40 minute walk, which was fine for us, but I'm sure would not be great for a lot of others.  While we were in the old town we did a bit of research into public transport to get back to the science park.  The metro doesn't go there, and we couldn't be bothered with having to take two buses so walked back.  Very surprised at how far out from the old town the shuttle drop off is.

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I can’t imagine that many people would be happy being dropped anywhere other the city centre. Seems a bit pointless. 

That’s it people complain buses taking too, P&O not ordering enough even if P&O ordered enough especially in Valencia it can take up to 45 minutes journey time so then they decide ok best we can do is drop them at this place instead and hope people don’t complain but then people would complain it’s not a good spot the old spot is better. We was dropped off in the centre in March so are the smaller ships like Ventura Azura going to be getting dropped off at the science park as well?

Edited by carlanthony24

2 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Agreed.  But if the cruise lines are given no choice in the matter, then there's not much that can be done.  We didn't try ourselves, but the staff at the drop-off point were giving people a map and instructions as to how to walk into the centre of town and saying that it would take about 15 minutes.  And, no-one should have been in any doubt as to where the shuttle was going to drop them off, because it said explicitly in the Horizon the evening before that it was running to and from the science park.

15 minutes if you happen to be an Olympic athlete and know the way like the back of your hand!  I think Google maps said 30 or so minutes when used that to find our way.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Son of Anarchy said:

15 minutes if you happen to be an Olympic athlete and know the way like the back of your hand!  I think Google maps said 30 or so minutes when used that to find our way.

I guess they were a bit wary of being set upon by unhappy punters if they told them how far it really was!

• Like 2

I am reasonably fit and once walked betweent Science Park and city. Took about 45 minutes quick walking.   Some people do not realise how far the two are apart, especially if they have not visited before. Some were mobility impaired too.  People missed seeing Valencia and had a "shopping opportunity" instead. As I said, this is unacceptable. 

• Like 3

There needs to be more information for passengers where the shuttle bus takes you to. I don't mean just in the horizon paper the night before but maybe at the same time the shore excursions are released to give passengers (especially those with mobility issues) time to plan if they need further transport. Even if they give an explanation as to why the shuttle is further out, at least passengers who haven't been before would be well aware. Passengers wouldn't complain if there was more transparency and information. 

• Like 4

Just now, CarlaMarie said:

There needs to be more information for passengers where the shuttle bus takes you to. I don't mean just in the horizon paper the night before but maybe at the same time the shore excursions are released to give passengers (especially those with mobility issues) time to plan if they need further transport. Even if they give an explanation as to why the shuttle is further out, at least passengers who haven't been before would be well aware. Passengers wouldn't complain if there was more transparency and information. 

People always find something to moan about... So say they put in the horizon we can't take you to the old town because of protests or something you will be dropped at the science park. Its x amount of minutes to walk etc. Bound to be people asking why did you dock here then....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carlanthony24 said:

People always find something to moan about... So say they put in the horizon we can't take you to the old town because of protests or something you will be dropped at the science park. Its x amount of minutes to walk etc. Bound to be people asking why did you dock here then....

People generally understand when a last minute issue (such as protests) has meant operationally it is not safe to get you into a city, or that due to road closures you cannot reach there. That is a very different scenario, and out of any cruise lines hands. Getting you as close as possible would be seen as a compromise. 

But here we are talking about a planned shuttle dropping you far from the city which many passengers would not be aware of until the night before (if they have read their paper). I just think it would help passengers if they know with a bit more time, that's all. 

• Like 4

Just now, CarlaMarie said:

People generally understand when a last minute issue (such as protests) has meant operationally it is not safe to get you into a city, or that due to road closures you cannot reach there. That is a very different scenario, and out of any cruise lines hands. Getting you as close as possible would be seen as a compromise. 

But here we are talking about a planned shuttle dropping you far from the city which many passengers would not be aware of until the night before (if they have read their paper). I just think it would help passengers if they know with a bit more time, that's all. 

I get what you are saying. So in theory they could put at the moment you are due to be dropped off at the science park this may change how ever to the old park, something to that effect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

I get what you are saying. So in theory they could put at the moment you are due to be dropped off at the science park this may change how ever to the old park, something to that effect.

Yes, just to supply a list of where shuttles are available and their drop off points for your upcoming cruise. That way passengers are informed with plenty of time and it doesn't catch them out. The cruise line can even put *subject to change* to cover themselves for any last minute issues, and if they are a far way out then explain why. I think overall not only does it help passengers but it also helps the crew who have to face the complaints. 

• Like 3

Here is a map

Red - where Arvia berthed

Blue - Terminal and dock gate

Magenta - shuttle drop off

Green - historic centre

Two miles to historic centre from drop off point

One and half miles walk to the cruise terminal

A further one mile to the beach

they did not inform us that there was a FREE port shuttle from the berth to the terminal

VALENCIA SHUTTLE.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, davecttr said:

they did not inform us that there was a FREE port shuttle from the berth to the terminal

Its very strange how often cruise lines seem to forget to mention free port / city shuttles!

PS I'm very impressed by your ability to seemingly produce a port / environs map for everywhere which comes up in conversation.  Do you have your own library of those from your own research or is there one particular website you're obtaining them from?

• Like 1