Live from Iona Norwegian Fjords 20th May 7 Nights

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Like you, we had priority boarding on QM2 the other week, but friends who didn’t and arrived an hour or two later said there were no queues and they were on board in no time at all. I’ve no idea how representative that is, as there were probably no coaches for that cruise (with it being a last minute one) but they were on a regular Cunard cruise last year and said it was the same. 

I would agree that for those who don’t qualify for priority boarding with P&O the least stressful option may be to arrive late when the worst of the queues have subsided. 

I've never queues with Cunard from my very first cruise apart from when I had my.mother with me in her wheelchair. My longest Cunard boarding was in Hong Kong which was a nightmare of 2 hours.  

In fairness I have taken very few P&O ex UK sailings but I've never had a long wait at any time.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

open street map is the site I use for such info.

Open Street Map is an open source site so as long as you include the ©OpenStreetMap contributors there should be no copyright problems.

9 hours ago, Cathygh said:

I still struggle to understand why you have to queue outside even if you arrive on time and even though the queue moves quickly. There is something not right about it, it was never a probem until they introduced this new system.

It has been suggested elsewhere that they now make early arrivals wait outside so they learn not to arrive early. If that is true then that is stiil a shocking way to treat customers. P&O have never to my knowlege explained this new system to their customers. In addition eleswhere people are reporting being held on coaches for 2 hours with broken toilets. The whole thing is a mess and needs to be readdressed.

There was a sign that said early arrivals 

Although it was outside the actual building I'm sure it was still under cover and it just had snake queuing system 

But I would say there were 100 people In it (outside the building) when we arrived but the size of the snake not being used outside was 2 or 3 times as big. 

Ie most of the space for the early arrival queue wasn't needed at that time we arrived

The queue we were in then continued as normal inside the building. 

There wasn't another queue anywhere I could see at that  time and we we were moving at a very reasonable pace all the time

So any problems must have been earlier and had been caught up with reasonably quickly

The system there seemed very smooth and efficient. The one thing I noticed was most of the staff helping  us check in and checking the bags on security seemed to be pensioners. 

All very very friendly

Which I thought was nice!

Maybe they don't get paid and just swap working for free of charge cruise holidays!!!

Lol

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 4

Ok obviously I loved my Arvia cruise and I'm sure I will love this one as long as we don't face any disasters but I'm also going to look at everything with fresh eyes as if I'm a new cruiser to try and figure out what  people could complain about

So first things first

Despite being a really popular place I really don't like the atrium area

The reason being it's huge and packed with people all talking at the same time

So when I read other posters saying they don't  like the big ships then I kind of can understand it if anyone spends any time In the atrium

To me it's like being in a busy airport terminal

I can also understand why people would wait ages to get served for drinks in there as it's so big and so many people in there

Glass House and keel and cow are part of the atrium. Reasons they don't really appeal to us as it's just too busy and too noisy. Not  at nice place to eat in IMO

There's a pianist but one pianist can't create calm in there

So my first tip to people who don't like big ships or like calm places  or want to be served drinks fast and attentively is find a smaller more intimate bar on the ship

Anderson's, or the cocktail bar  seating at Sindhu (which is nearly always empty but really great Cocktails)

Or Crows Nest with the fabulous views and pianist in a much much calmer environment.

Obviously let's limit it to people on here or these places will become like the Atrium and ram packed with  people chatting away

Lol

We just walk through the atrium as fast as possible. Although we did buy 2 really nice cakes there on the way somewhere else yesterday afternoon. They strawberry financier is delicious (think that's what it's called)

I class the atrium as the equivalent of MDR. Somewhere you go if you want absolutely loads of company. A social meeting place

But IMO there are so many way more calmer and nicer spots to be on the ship

Like I say think airport terminal vibe in here. 

Hope this shows I'm trying to give tips to people

Some may like that vibe

• Like 14

Similarly Bodies which I went in for the football the other day

Plenty of staff but it's a big place. It's like going into a busy pub. Perfectly ok. But more customers so you will wait longer to get served and have your drinks come back as you aren't the only ones in there

Similarly the Clubhouse.

If you only went in the atrium, Brodies and The Clubhouse then rightly describe Arvia and Iona as Butlins at sea

Top tip. - if you don't like the idea of Butlins at sea then avoid sitting in these places

Instead Anderson's Bar, Crows Nest and Sindhu Cocktail Bar seating (both sides at the front of Sindhu) will give you 5 star cocktail bar experiences In serene places instead

You may need to tell the Sindhu bar staff you would like a cocktail before you sit down as this area is so barely used by guests they may not even realise you are there

But they have a special cocktail menu with spice infused cocktails hence it's worth a visit or two. 

• Like 6

More tips coming soon. 

Time to take a look outside and get some breakfast

Tip for that if you like fast breakfast but not large spaces head to The Quays. Way calmer than the buffet. Not table service. It's serve yourself. But similar to the buffet. Was barely anyone there yesterday morning at 8.50am 

Omelettes made for you. And poached eggs if you want

Pancakes and waffles lots of choices of toppings

Full English

Fruit

Yoghurts

Smoothies

Croissants and Pastries

All you could want

Really nice outdoor seating area as well that for some reason hardly anyone use

Cannot remotely described as canteen like compared to the buffet which can be. 

I guess the longer the cruise goes on the more people discover it

But here's the lack of people there yesterday at 9.10am see my pic below to see the huge queues in there at prime time!!

Lol

Zero queues. Loads of empty tables.

Way calmer than the buffet. And let's make it clear. There's no queues at the buffet either. Of any note. It's just the buffet is way bigger with way more people 

IMG_20230521_0750310.jpg

• Like 6

I’m the same with you about the Atrium being big and noisy, and we enjoyed the crows nest best for a drink but I didn’t know you could have a cocktail in Sindhu if you were not eating in there, so thank you for the tip , enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

When we were onboard last year Brodie’s was far too loud for us even on a sea day afternoon when it was half empty. The TV screens blaring out a basketball match were the main reason for the noise.

However, a work colleague who was recently onboard loved it for the atmosphere whilst watching a Champions League match. Each to their own. 
I’d also agree with ICF’s thoughts on The Quays which suited us more than the buffet, and the Atrium being noisy though I would say that was in the evenings whereas we found it a pleasant pace to sit in the daytime. 

• Like 2

Ok update on The Quays

More people have discovered it today

Only 40 per cent of the tables are empty compared to 80 per cent yesterday

Nobody except me using the outside dining area despite the fabulous views (Brits abroad ! ) People complain about "canteen dining' but don't walk 15 yards for outdoor dining

I'm sat in the under cover bit outside as it's been drizzling this morning and the uncovered outdoor seats are wet

I had my first queue though on Iona

There were 5 people ahead of me for full English. I had to wait 90 seconds to serve myself 

No queues at omelette or package counters still

For those who haven't cruised P and O before

The breakfast in The Quays is comparable to 4 star hotel buffet breakfast except more fresh on P and O. The eggs are still runny when you get them. And 4 star hotels tend not to make omelettes and poached eggs to order and offer pancakes and waffles with choice of toppings

Table service more akin to 5 star hotel breakfast is available elsewhere if you want that

Here's the photos today

Ps I could have added bacon, tomato, beans, fried bread, scrambled egg and toast to my place but as you all know I'm on diet so restrained myself. I could have  ordered a poached egg but didn't want to wait 2 minutes for that

IMG_20230522_0745383.jpg

IMG_20230522_0748586.jpg

IMG_20230522_0746156.jpg

IMG_20230522_0745114.jpg

IMG_20230522_0740293.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, DamianG said:

When we were onboard last year Brodie’s was far too loud for us even on a sea day afternoon when it was half empty. The TV screens blaring out a basketball match were the main reason for the noise.

However, a work colleague who was recently onboard loved it for the atmosphere whilst watching a Champions League match. Each to their own. 
I’d also agree with ICF’s thoughts on The Quays which suited us more than the buffet, and the Atrium being noisy though I would say that was in the evenings whereas we found it a pleasant pace to sit in the daytime. 

Don't get me wrong the Atrium is stunning. But just too busy for us to enjoy. The cocktail places I recommend are 5 star experience and immediate and immaculate service and drinks in comparison in calm and tranquility

As I always advise if you don't like big ships just head for the smaller and quieter spaces

Quays on Iona and Arvia would be like a small quieter buffet on a small cruise ship. Use the outdoor seating (which nobody hardly ever does - even in the Caribbean) and never describe buffet breakfast like eating in a canteen again

Walk away from the things you don't like to the things you do like

And have nothing to complain about?

It works for us

• Like 9

Walking out of breakfast 7 people were queuing for full english

Nobody for omelettes 

Nobody for pancakes and waffles

2 people must have read my thread already and joined us outside before we finished and commented how lovely the views were outside

As we left I noticed everybody was taking the tables directly next to the serving stations in the quays

Meanwhile 15 yards up and then 30yards up were two lovely seating areas with large bright window viewing with next to nobody in them?

It's madness what we do on cruise ships

The calm serene spaces to eat are less than 20 seconds walk away outside and inside

See below

Thats 2 different seating area 20 seconds walk from the serving areas barely being used

IMG_20230522_0812139.jpg

IMG_20230522_0812053.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

There was a sign that said early arrivals 

Although it was outside the actual building I'm sure it was still under cover and it just had snake queuing system 

But I would say there were 100 people In it (outside the building) when we arrived but the size of the snake not being used outside was 2 or 3 times as big. 

Ie most of the space for the early arrival queue wasn't needed at that time we arrived

The queue we were in then continued as normal inside the building. 

There wasn't another queue anywhere I could see at that  time and we we were moving at a very reasonable pace all the time

So any problems must have been earlier and had been caught up with reasonably quickly

The system there seemed very smooth and efficient. The one thing I noticed was most of the staff helping  us check in and checking the bags on security seemed to be pensioners. 

All very very friendly

Which I thought was nice!

Maybe they don't get paid and just swap working for free of charge cruise holidays!!!

Lol

Seems like mountain and molehill. Most of us pensioners are quite friendly.😁

• Haha 1

Everything IFC says on this cruise is making sense and I agree with most of it.  Quays is good especially if you walk to the quieter parts and Sindu bar is quiet and unused. The atrium is noisy and echoing. However the bad part is the difference in drinks sold at the different bars. The drinks we want are only sold at Amber bar not at Crows Nest. We have to put up with a unliked bar or walk half a ship carrying a drink to a bar you do like. Not good. The bottle area behind the bars are half empty. Let’s have more continuity on drinks sold. 

• Like 5

I assume today is a port day?  I can see the attraction of outside if you're not moving.  On here we could not have eaten outside on several days before yesterday for biting wind and driving rain.  If the weather improves I'm sure more will do and will relieve the pressure on everywhere else. Our last seaday I ended up at lunchtime in Sindhu with two couples who brought their fish and chips in because the staff took pity on us for lack of seats! 

Looks beautiful scenery and your food nicely presented. Have a great day.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Walking out of breakfast 7 people were queuing for full english

Nobody for omelettes 

Nobody for pancakes and waffles

2 people must have read my thread already and joined us outside before we finished and commented how lovely the views were outside

As we left I noticed everybody was taking the tables directly next to the serving stations in the quays

Meanwhile 15 yards up and then 30yards up were two lovely seating areas with large bright window viewing with next to nobody in them?

It's madness what we do on cruise ships

The calm serene spaces to eat are less than 20 seconds walk away outside and inside

See below

Thats 2 different seating area 20 seconds walk from the serving areas barely being used

IMG_20230522_0812139.jpg

IMG_20230522_0812053.jpg

Thanks.  Please keep the tips coming.  Nice balance.

After a belated start, where some folk thought you were still stuck in the queue outside or were driving around Southampton looking for a parking space, the trip reports are starting to come in thick and fast.👍

When on Arvia we seldom sat for a long time in the Atrium, apart near to the windows in the Amber lounge area of a late morning or early afternoon, where we would have a coffee. To be honest, I didn't equate it to an airport lounge vibe. When we are on Iona in a few weeks I'll open my eyes and ears, and reassess it.

We never actually sat in Brodie's, but when we were at the slots near to it, we never had a problem with seeing nearby waiters and getting a drink.  The same with the Clubhouse, where we were frequent visitors; we never had a problem with getting a waiter's attention.

In post #188, Gettingwarmer writes about the disparity of available drinks throughout the different bars. I get that, particularly with draught beers; the Clubhouse suffers with that problem, despite it being busy of an evening.

I get what you mean about Anderson's and the bar at Sindhu; we though prefer the Crow's Nest, where it feels more out of the way.

As someone that eats at some really posh restaurants on land, I'm surprised at your star rating of The Quays for breakfast. We've not had a proper breakfast in there; the one day that we were up late we got there just as it was closing. When we were up early as we navigated the Straits of Gibraltar, I did pop in for a pre-breakfast of a single fried egg on fried fried, and it was very nice. We have passed through when they've been open for breakfast. I would like it more to a PI breakfast, but with the addition of fried bread and an omelette station.

Here's a proposal: try and live dangerously and have at least one breakfast in one of the MDRs, and report back to us. In return, I promise to have a full breakfast in The Quays.

Oh, and when you are next sat in a quiet bar, enjoying your delicious cocktail, try and work out how to rotate photos on your phone; I'm starting to get RSI in my neck. Just sayin' 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Everything IFC says on this cruise is making sense and I agree with most of it.  Quays is good especially if you walk to the quieter parts and Sindu bar is quiet and unused. The atrium is noisy and echoing. However the bad part is the difference in drinks sold at the different bars. The drinks we want are only sold at Amber bar not at Crows Nest. We have to put up with a unliked bar or walk half a ship carrying a drink to a bar you do like. Not good. The bottle area behind the bars are half empty. Let’s have more continuity on drinks sold. 

I totally get what you say about the disparity of available drinks throughout the ship; I refer to Arvia, but I did expect it to be the same with Iona.

On Arvia, the bar area of the Keel & Cow appears to have the biggest selection of draught beers, and the ones I like, but I'm not that keen on it as a place to sit and relax.

Given that it is often very busy of an evening, the Clubhouse has the poorest selection of draught beers; to the best of my recollection, just Birr Moretti (often replaced by Fosters) and John Smiths. I don't like the former and begrudge paying £4.95 for the latter. I would usually drink Punk IPA, but refuse to pay £4.95 for a 330ml bottle in there. So, after ordering for our lass, I would take a walk to Sindhu where it is £5.15 for a pint.

Oh, and don't get me started on Guinness!  Why oh why, on a ship that has more than four thousand Brits, do they not have Guinness on tap. Despite being from Yorkshire, I'm really not that tight, but I refuse to pay £4.95 for a 440ml can.  

Rant over!🤭

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TigerB said:

I totally get what you say about the disparity of available drinks throughout the ship; I refer to Arvia, but I did expect it to be the same with Iona.

On Arvia, the bar area of the Keel & Cow appears to have the biggest selection of draught beers, and the ones I like, but I'm not that keen on it as a place to sit and relax.

Given that it is often very busy of an evening, the Clubhouse has the poorest selection of draught beers; to the best of my recollection, just Birr Moretti (often replaced by Fosters) and John Smiths. I don't like the former and begrudge paying £4.95 for the latter. I would usually drink Punk IPA, but refuse to pay £4.95 for a 330ml bottle in there. So, after ordering for our lass, I would take a walk to Sindhu where it is £5.15 for a pint.

Oh, and don't get me started on Guinness!  Why oh why, on a ship that has more than four thousand Brits, do they not have Guinness on tap. Despite being from Yorkshire, I'm really not that tight, but I refuse to pay £4.95 for a 440ml can.  

Rant over!🤭

Interesting that you are talking about beers having the same problem, I was more referring to wines spirits and after dinner liqueurs. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Interesting that you are talking about beers having the same problem, I was more referring to wines spirits and after dinner liqueurs. 

Yes; I'm common, you see! 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

But they have a special cocktail menu with spice infused cocktails hence it's worth a visit or two. 

did you notice if they do alcohol free cocktails in Sindhu? thanks

Edited by elmsliebev

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I assume today is a port day?  I can see the attraction of outside if you're not moving.  On here we could not have eaten outside on several days before yesterday for biting wind and driving rain.  If the weather improves I'm sure more will do and will relieve the pressure on everywhere else. Our last seaday I ended up at lunchtime in Sindhu with two couples who brought their fish and chips in because the staff took pity on us for lack of seats! 

Looks beautiful scenery and your food nicely presented. Have a great day.

Hi - I know you are not posting on the Arvia thread you started but can you tell me how easy it is/was to travel solo?  Are there solo meet ups etc like on the smaller ships?   Seems like it might be difficult on one’s own on such a big ship.  I’d be glad to hear from anyone else as well who has done Arvia or Iona solo as I am tempted by a cruise in September.  

2 hours ago, TigerB said:

Rant over!🤭

Drink prices have just gone up £4.95 is now £5.05!

48 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Hi - I know you are not posting on the Arvia thread you started but can you tell me how easy it is/was to travel solo?  Are there solo meet ups etc like on the smaller ships?   Seems like it might be difficult on one’s own on such a big ship.  I’d be glad to hear from anyone else as well who has done Arvia or Iona solo as I am tempted by a cruise in September.  

Rather than use up ICF's live thread with this I'll reply on the defunct Arvia one later.  Hope that's okay.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Drink prices have just gone up £4.95 is now £5.05!

Everything is going up though to be fair. Bar man told me yesterday between 5% and 10% on everything from next week. 

Edited by Megabear2
Wrong word
  • Like 2