Your Time Dining-The In Thing Now?

MMfan14

I love YTD. It works for my wife and I. Opted for it on our very first cruise back in 2011 and have had it ever since. We have it for our upcoming cruises and was just wondering are people selecting this more than seated times? I'm sure like seated times they have only a select amount that they can fill.

• Like 1

We like the flexibility of YTD, but the tables are so close together,  you get the feeling you're still dinning with others.  The good side is you can start up a conversation or not and not be considered a snob  if you don't. 

Edited by Butterbean1000
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We like the flexibility of YTD, but the tables are so close together,  you get the feeling you're still dinning with others.  The good side is you can start up a conversation or not and not be considered a snob  if you don't. 

Or overhear conversations you really wish you hadn't...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Certainly on excel class.  I have not seen numbers comparing optins in a good while, but think it being at teh top does not ring true non-excel.  That said, I have been wrong before.

• Like 1

People want flexibility because of port times and or show times. Pools are busy up until 4pm and if like eating say 6:30, you could enjoy late pool times.

I think more are going to buffets too and can choose portions and get in and out in an hour or less

• Like 2

I think EVERYONE should try YTD. That way, I won't have any trouble getting my early fixed time in the MDR.

When the day comes I must check in on my phone, I'll either be eating on the Lido or staying home.

I am a digital dinosaur and still trying to figure out this eye phone since they took away my flip phone a while back.

Everyone have a great cruise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Oh for sure it’s more popular. For me, I don’t want to sit at a large table. Not before the pandemic, and not now. But now we have kids who we bring with us, and no everyone would want to dine with them either. So the idea of possibly having table mates with the set time dining just isn’t something I want to deal with. But the flexibility of ATD is awesome and it’s just so convenient especially now with the app. 

We love YTD (especially on the Excel ships)  and since there has always been the 3 of us cruising we always get a good table or booth type of table.  We are not late dinner eaters even at home and it also allows us to plan our evening for shows and activities.  In addition, getting the first service in any dinning room can be crucial as no one is behind yet and the food is typically hot when it is served.  

Edited by Drazil65

Being able to see the estimated wait times and requesting a table on the app is huge for us.  We can enjoy our time at the bar or lounge and be notified when our table is ready.  Much better experience than waiting in a line at the dining room!

• Like 1

For the Mardi Gras it was necessary considering how many included dinner options there were. That being said I do like the idea of getting to know my wait staff and getting to know others at a dinner table beyond just my wife and I.

We still prefer set times. If is a fun experience knowing you have the same wait staff and they know you will be back the next day. When you walk up and your drink is already at your seat. No waits. I know that you can request the same staff eat night at YTD, but it still isn't the same experience. 

• Like 2

I have only ever done fixed dining - always LATE seating! Not that I wouldn't try YTD...but since it's been around, we have almost always had a large group (usually 12-25 people), so we like being able to easily sit together and ensure we have the same wait staff nightly. With a group that large, I'm just afraid we would have long wait times with YTD. If we ever go with just our family, I'd give YTD a try. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 5:33 AM, kelkel2 said:

Oh for sure it’s more popular. For me, I don’t want to sit at a large table. Not before the pandemic, and not now. But now we have kids who we bring with us, and no everyone would want to dine with them either. So the idea of possibly having table mates with the set time dining just isn’t something I want to deal with. But the flexibility of ATD is awesome and it’s just so convenient especially now with the app. 

That is the great thing about cruising with the family.  We cruise with 5 in our party - will be 6 now - and we have never sat with others.  They always sat us at our table and with a great view.  We always hit the main dining room first to see where our table is.  If we don't like it, we ask to be moved.  Never had to do that but would if it came down to it.  With that said, my wife and I cruised by ourselves once and we were sat with another couple.  They were great so feel lucky there.  Next cruise, we are trying YTD due to being on a Excel.  So many options.

I will be on MG for the first time, and have been trying to decide if we should try YTD.  We are usually late seaters, but there are so many restaurant options, I'm thinking it may be best to try YTD for a change.  Am I able to change the dining option online, or would I have to call?

39 minutes ago, disneyfan551 said:

I will be on MG for the first time, and have been trying to decide if we should try YTD.  We are usually late seaters, but there are so many restaurant options, I'm thinking it may be best to try YTD for a change.  Am I able to change the dining option online, or would I have to call?

you can manage the booking online, edit dining time preference

• Like 1

We booked six months out and are waitlisted for early seating had to take YTD, not happy got stuck with similar dining on another cruise line and it was horrid. Hope Carnival does this better not a fan of long waits and we do not use cell phones so no apps.

18 hours ago, disneyfan551 said:

MG and Celebration are two ships that offer added value for taking YTD (extra dining options).  Enjoy

Edited by jimbo5544

I've tried it before and absolutely hated it. I also don't care for it much during brunch, but I'm not going to miss brunch because of it.

I honestly don't see any benefit to YTD (for me). We love fixed, early dining. Around 6 pm, we have nothing going on 95% of the time. You've already done everything at the sea day. You've normally also returned from port and had enough time to shower. I don't need to be lounging around at 6 pm. If anything, I almost like that schedule so it makes sure we are ready for the nightlife. Checking into the app is annoying. Waiting around is silly. Being placed where ever isn't always fun. The interactions with the dining staff are far more stuffy than fixed. We also don't care to eat later. If "everyone" is doing YTD, why is there almost always a wait list for the early, but never for anything else?

Now with that said, I am intrigued by the Excel class YTD system. Being able to choose any restaurant gives me an actual benefit to YTD.

• Like 1

We have usually gone with early dining time to enjoy the night life on board,

until we sailed Mardi Gras.

With the flexibility in restaurants included with YTD, that really was the only choice...

Ended up we loved the flexibility in choosing our time day by day,

probably won't go back to fixed dining times ...

• Like 2